Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221044 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11730 on: October 30, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »
What are the thoughts on trucks for FA / Hockey decks?  Cross posting from the board set  up thread, but it's  really a truck question.

I’ve got a Hockey John Fitzgerald coming, (8.5 31.9 long 14.25 wb) which is the skinniest board & first popsicle I’ve ridden for a long while. With Hockeys steeper kicks what trucks would work best? I ride indys or aces usually. Looking at ace 44, maybe lows. Or would the Thunder geometry work better?  Haven't ridden thunders in ages, but does their geometry work better for a steep tail / nose? I'm looking to work on my flatground, manny pad, ledge skating on this, maybe a less turny truck would be perfect?

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11731 on: October 31, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »
Put together a nice transition setup with a polar 8.38 w/wheel wells, 58mm f4 og classics, and standard 149 Indy’s… holy shit these trucks are heavy. Always have the same board set up (most of the time with an 8.5) and various other trucks.

Wanted the standard Indy for the height to ride bigger wheels. The turn is so fun. Left the trucks stock and they have a bit of a wobble, so super loose and it’s amazing. I can’t however get over just how damn heavy they are. Going to take some time getting used to.

Do pros really ride standard 149s on street setups? I would assume they would prefer the hollows. Seems so heavy to me but probably good for getting your feet and legs strong, it’s like a weight vest for skateboarding.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11732 on: October 31, 2022, 10:55:03 AM »
What are the thoughts on trucks for FA / Hockey decks?  Cross posting from the board set  up thread, but it's  really a truck question.

I’ve got a Hockey John Fitzgerald coming, (8.5 31.9 long 14.25 wb) which is the skinniest board & first popsicle I’ve ridden for a long while. With Hockeys steeper kicks what trucks would work best? I ride indys or aces usually. Looking at ace 44, maybe lows. Or would the Thunder geometry work better?  Haven't ridden thunders in ages, but does their geometry work better for a steep tail / nose? I'm looking to work on my flatground, manny pad, ledge skating on this, maybe a less turny truck would be perfect?

I replied to your other post with the same info, but that deck is not very steep or square. It's not far off the Blue Eagle AH shape. My friend rides Indy Forged Hollow on it and enjoys it. I'm sure Thunders would also be fine since that is what John and much of the FA/Hockey camp rides.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11733 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
Put together a nice transition setup with a polar 8.38 w/wheel wells, 58mm f4 og classics, and standard 149 Indy’s… holy shit these trucks are heavy. Always have the same board set up (most of the time with an 8.5) and various other trucks.

Wanted the standard Indy for the height to ride bigger wheels. The turn is so fun. Left the trucks stock and they have a bit of a wobble, so super loose and it’s amazing. I can’t however get over just how damn heavy they are. Going to take some time getting used to.

Do pros really ride standard 149s on street setups? I would assume they would prefer the hollows. Seems so heavy to me but probably good for getting your feet and legs strong, it’s like a weight vest for skateboarding.

The hollow axles don't save much. A standard American quarter weighs 5.6g. When I went from normal axles to hollows I didn't notice because it's like 2 American quarters of weight per truck. My standards weighed less than what Tactics advertises and my hollows more. They're not far off. Forged versions save a decent amount esp when you get to forged hollow territory, which makes them weigh as much as a Thunder Team. Where they might feel "heavy" is the height, which makes them take longer to pop. Forged Ti do get into a light-er territory, but nothing like a true light truck like a Thunder Forged Hollow/Ti.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11734 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
At the same time, there’s some risk in changing everything completely….I’d maybe just throw on the aces and see….

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #11735 on: October 31, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »

Wrong thread for this question so, sorry. Where did you find the F4 58mm OG Classics? I’m on a hunt.

I bet sizing down your wheels a bit would shave off more weight than going for a hollow Indy. Maybe I’m wrong though.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11736 on: October 31, 2022, 02:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I replied to your other post with the same info, but that deck is not very steep or square. It's not far off the Blue Eagle AH shape. My friend rides Indy Forged Hollow on it and enjoys it. I'm sure Thunders would also be fine since that is what John and much of the FA/Hockey camp rides.

Thanks! Yeah, not sure if I could go through with the thunders, reckon the forged hollows are the go, especially as i'll be trying to get off the goddamn ground with this cursed unit.

FGO925

« Reply #11737 on: October 31, 2022, 03:15:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wrong thread for this question so, sorry. Where did you find the F4 58mm OG Classics? I’m on a hunt.

I bet sizing down your wheels a bit would shave off more weight than going for a hollow Indy. Maybe I’m wrong though.

Got them about 7 months ago from a local shop. Cant find them anywhere unfortunately. A local homie thought they were the conical/fulls. Seems like they got ride of the OG classic shape.

Also, the forged hollows on paper seem way lighter no? Not really looking to buy more trucks since I’m pretty set. More of just a question. I was just shocked on how fucking heavy they are. Seems like they would weigh you down if you’re trying to pop over shit. Doesn’t make too big of a difference as I put the board together as a transition setup, hoping to quit being a puss and learn inverts. But still popping around at the park I was blown away by the weight. I’ve had a bigger board with the same wheels and team thunders/ventures/aces so it’s def the truck weight I’m feeling.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 03:24:15 PM by FGO925 »

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #11738 on: October 31, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Got them about 7 months ago from a local shop. Cant find them anywhere unfortunately. A local homie thought they were the conical/fulls. Seems like they got ride of the OG classic shape.

Also, the forged hollows on paper seem way lighter no? Not really looking to buy more trucks since I’m pretty set. More of just a question. I was just shocked on how fucking heavy they are. Seems like they would weigh you down if you’re trying to pop over shit. Doesn’t make too big of a difference as I put the board together as a transition setup, hoping to quit being a puss and learn inverts. But still popping around at the park I was blown away by the weight. I’ve had a bigger board with the same wheels and team thunders/ventures/aces so it’s def the truck weight I’m feeling.

Ah, Yeah, you could be right.
Hopefully the Indys don’t make it hard to pop up the ledge/manny pads at FGO.
Are you doing inverts on that hip though? (Kidding) 

I sure hope they didn’t get rid of the OG Classic shape.

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11739 on: November 01, 2022, 02:37:33 AM »

I’ve just setup an 8.5 FA with 151 Thunder standards with Indy conical bushings. Tail is mellow and the nose only slightly steeper than the real deck I was riding. Picked up the deck for $70 AUD from Supply Store in Sydney. I like switching my setup around, so would encourage you to try thunders.

FGO925

« Reply #11740 on: November 01, 2022, 08:38:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha holy shit I can’t imagine. not my local park anymore thank god, I stay out closer to the city nowadays.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11741 on: November 01, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I learned all my tricks on the manual pad and tall block at FGO on a 7.4-7.75, Venture Lo, and 50mm wheels so it shouldn't matter that much. I do miss that elbow. It had the best noping I've ever found

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11742 on: November 01, 2022, 02:47:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve just setup an 8.5 FA with 151 Thunder standards with Indy conical bushings. Tail is mellow and the nose only slightly steeper than the real deck I was riding. Picked up the deck for $70 AUD from Supply Store in Sydney. I like switching my setup around, so would encourage you to try thunders.

Sick thanks. Got this from an OCD sale for $90. Nuts how much they go for full price here. Haven’t tried thunders in 10 years but I’m kinda curious.  If I see them cheap I’ll nab some.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #11743 on: November 01, 2022, 07:01:03 PM »

Haha holy shit I can’t imagine. not my local park anymore thank god, I stay out closer to the city nowadays.

I learned all my tricks on the manual pad and tall block at FGO… I do miss that elbow. It had the best noping I've ever found

\m/ to both of you.
And it definitely does haha!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #11744 on: November 11, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
I wore out the pivot cups on my Indy 169s and the only replacements I could find locally were Riptides. Been riding them for about a week now and they give the board a dead waterlogged feeling. Other than that, they feel pretty good now that they’re broken in. Definitely feels more stable and less twitchy without sacrificing any turn.

If I had the choice between stock pivot cups and Riptides, I’d go with stock. I prefer the board feel of the stock ones and don’t think that the Riptides add that much benefit to justify being 3x the price. The only scenario that I would choose the Riptides would be for a cruiser board. These Indy’s are getting close to the axle, so they’ll be on cruiser duty soon anyway.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #11745 on: November 12, 2022, 10:05:20 PM »
God damn 57mm wheels feel so good on indy 149 hollows (not forged baseplate).

would probably be better on ace cuz less overall height but same turn and arc (better nollie heels)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11746 on: November 14, 2022, 09:06:07 AM »
to a pal with all the trucks:
whats the difference between thunder vs venture forged plates?
is it just the baseplate slide and 1mm height difference?
owned both at some point but never really checked
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11747 on: November 14, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »
Interested in this too, and may try out venture forged plates on with thunder cast hangars.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11748 on: November 14, 2022, 03:36:12 PM »

Are you meaning "What is the diference between the Thunder forged vs cast and Venture forged vs cast?" or the difference between the two truck brands themselves?

I guess in general looking at all four baseplates right here, the forged in both brands are just the lower lighter versions of their cast baseplates, but was there something / anything in particular that you were curious about?

Forged both have the hollow kingpins, cast both have the regular kingpins.  They seem to match up fairly well to each brand, the cast being slightly smaller in size overall, not just height, on these ones. Not much but it is a bit.

I also have a set of Venture cast polished plates with hollow kingpins that someone somewhere must have swapped over, as people have said they never came in this option, but these are still new unused but fairly old stock, which is curious.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11749 on: November 14, 2022, 05:40:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you meaning "What is the diference between the Thunder forged vs cast and Venture forged vs cast?" or the difference between the two truck brands themselves?

I guess in general looking at all four baseplates right here, the forged in both brands are just the lower lighter versions of their cast baseplates, but was there something / anything in particular that you were curious about?

Forged both have the hollow kingpins, cast both have the regular kingpins.  They seem to match up fairly well to each brand, the cast being slightly smaller in size overall, not just height, on these ones. Not much but it is a bit.

I also have a set of Venture cast polished plates with hollow kingpins that someone somewhere must have swapped over, as people have said they never came in this option, but these are still new unused but fairly old stock, which is curious.
wondering more about kingpin height and geometry differences
at least what can be seen by the naked eye
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11750 on: November 15, 2022, 02:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The benefits:
Venture: Way more kingpin clearance, super stable.
Thunder: Way better turn, lighter.

There's not a huge difference in pop feel, but ventures pop a bit heavier. Thunder kingpin clearance is totally fine, the one on ventures is just insanely good. Thunders turn great, ventures turn acceptable

LloydBrün

• Rep: 14
« Reply #11751 on: November 15, 2022, 03:26:41 AM »
Got some Ace classics (with red baseplate) towards the end of the summer. since then I have not been able to get rid of the squeak coming from my bushings/pivot cup. 

Switched the bushings,  still squeaking.
Switched out the pivot cups,  still squeaking.
Waxed everything that makes contact.  still squeaking.

Now of the real kick in the stones,  fired the hanger onto some independent IKP baseplates, hoping for a least a quiet roll around,  fuck the geometry.... Still squeaking.

I've since dug out some old aces I had and stuck on the new hanger, bushings, etc. and am now currently enjoying the sweet sounds of truck silence. 

Any thoughts on this?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11752 on: November 15, 2022, 05:32:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

The benefits:
Venture: Way more kingpin clearance, super stable.
Thunder: Way better turn, lighter.

There's not a huge difference in pop feel, but ventures pop a bit heavier. Thunder kingpin clearance is totally fine, the one on ventures is just insanely good. Thunders turn great, ventures turn acceptable

Seconded on the kingpin clearance on Ventures, felt my kingpin nut grinding on the flat bar with my Thunders and none on my Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #11753 on: November 15, 2022, 05:52:48 AM »
Got some Ace classics (with red baseplate) towards the end of the summer. since then I have not been able to get rid of the squeak coming from my bushings/pivot cup. 

Now of the real kick in the stones,  fired the hanger onto some independent IKP baseplates, hoping for a least a quiet roll around,  fuck the geometry.... Still squeaking.

I've since dug out some old aces I had and stuck on the new hanger, bushings, etc. and am now currently enjoying the sweet sounds of truck silence. 

Any thoughts on this?

Clean all contact points with rubbing/isopropyl alcohol. Bushings, bushing seats on the hanger, washers, pivot cups/nubs, literally anywhere two parts meet (and can get dirt inside of). Afterwards take the SMALLEST amount of motor oil and LIGHTLY lube all the surfaces. So light you can hardly tell its there, but just enough to give it that factory fresh feel. Just dab a qtip/paper towel with some and lightly coat the surfaces you cleaned. Probably a good idea to gently wipe them with a paper towel afterwards to remove any excess. too much lube will have your shit feeling all jello-y and loose. maybe that's your thing though idk.

LloydBrün

« Reply #11754 on: November 15, 2022, 06:08:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Any thoughts on this?
[close]

Clean all contact points with rubbing/isopropyl alcohol. Bushings, bushing seats on the hanger, washers, pivot cups/nubs, literally anywhere two parts meet (and can get dirt inside of). Afterwards take the SMALLEST amount of motor oil and LIGHTLY lube all the surfaces. So light you can hardly tell its there, but just enough to give it that factory fresh feel. Just dab a qtip/paper towel with some and lightly coat the surfaces you cleaned. Probably a good idea to gently wipe them with a paper towel afterwards to remove any excess. too much lube will have your shit feeling all jello-y and loose. maybe that's your thing though idk.

Thanks! Appreciate the advice.  I'll give it a go and report back. 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11755 on: November 15, 2022, 06:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Any thoughts on this?
[close]

I say do this, but use a light coating of marine grade bearing grease. A little tube from the auto parts store costs like $3 and even me, a power user of grease due to my bicycle hobby, goes through a tube every few years.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #11756 on: November 15, 2022, 06:55:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any thoughts on this?
[close]

[close]

I say do this, but use a light coating of marine grade bearing grease. A little tube from the auto parts store costs like $3 and even me, a power user of grease due to my bicycle hobby, goes through a tube every few years.

i prefer motor oil because its easier to go lighter with it. the grease will hold up better/longer, but you dont really want that unless you like your trucks crazy loose and new feeling

LloydBrün

« Reply #11757 on: November 15, 2022, 07:03:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any thoughts on this?
[close]

[close]

[close]

i prefer motor oil because its easier to go lighter with it. the grease will hold up better/longer, but you dont really want that unless you like your trucks crazy loose and new feeling

Had a look at using a little motor oil and I can definitely see/hear a difference. 
I actually think its the kingpin causing the issue. when putting the bushings on, I can hear them squeaking against it.
Appreciate the assistance folks!

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #11758 on: November 15, 2022, 10:16:26 AM »
I've been squirting a pump of some of my aveeno lotion onto a kleenex and then ill just dab my finger in it and wipe it on all the contact points of the hanger and it's been doing better with less mess than wax. I'm sure some pure petrolium jelly would work the same. Never thought about motor oil, that's a good tip for sure.

IpathCats

« Reply #11759 on: November 15, 2022, 10:25:22 AM »
I've been squirting a pump of some of my aveeno lotion onto a kleenex and then ill just dab my finger in it and wipe it on all the contact points of the hanger and it's been doing better with less mess than wax. I'm sure some pure petrolium jelly would work the same. Never thought about motor oil, that's a good tip for sure.

ive tried petroleum jelly and lotion, motor oil works best. THE TINIEST AMOUNT