Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540027 times)

Zark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2940 on: February 07, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »
[

Nice, they both look amazing!

I'm curious about the single rail, is it toe or heel side? And why? I never really understood it...
Yeah, what they said, toe side, slides better but not too fast as with 2, on the cruiser just for grabbing, those wheels are too grippy for sliding.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2941 on: February 08, 2021, 05:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yea the last run of Dane 1s had no wheel wells, this one is an older one that just randomly popped up on parade one night, and I jumped on it no hesitation
[close]
report back how it is with 55’s. I never tried that combo. Short wheelbase and ace’s pulling it in more with a not-so steep tail
[close]
Dane1 with the 55s is the absolute best, in my humble opinion

One full sesh, and a little parking Garage curb action so far. I had to play around with the trucks a bit to get them just loose enough. I found the sweet spot, and Wow! I am loving the combo. The fact I can make such deep hard turns, but maintain a stable confident feeling is awesome! I was surfing all over the place! Ive never had Aces but I think I am in love! The whole complete is new so it still needs breaking in to feel like "my board", but the turning and stability on such a short set up was perfection!
Proverbs 27:17

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2942 on: February 08, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone got this black label Reuter deck?
https://www.basementskate.com.au/black-label-reuter-snake-and-rat-9-skateboard-deck-white-dip/

Im seeing different dimensions online...on this site its the same as black label shop, but other places have a shorter dimension which would be cool
[close]

Jake Reuter “Snake and Rat" 9.0″ x 32.8″ 14.5

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/product/og-bars-8-8-x-32-8-14-5

I would be inclined to trust what John Lucero puts on his own site for his own product, which is the same as Basement dimensions, but you never know.

Love the shape and dims on that but graphic is so bad I don't think I could do it, as petty as that sounds. Hopefully, they will keep the shape and come up with a better graphic next round.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2943 on: February 08, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »
Love the shape and dims on that but graphic is so bad I don't think I could do it, as petty as that sounds. Hopefully, they will keep the shape and come up with a better graphic next round.

I just saw this - I guess the stain is not as stark as the white dipped version.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2944 on: February 08, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone got this black label Reuter deck?

Im seeing different dimensions online...on this site its the same as black label shop, but other places have a shorter dimension which would be cool
[close]

Jake Reuter “Snake and Rat" 9.0″ x 32.8″ 14.5
[close]

Love the shape and dims on that but graphic is so bad I don't think I could do it, as petty as that sounds.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2945 on: February 08, 2021, 11:22:28 PM »
I actually like the graphics...especially on the dipped.
But the board is too long for me

If black label could just shorten their boards across the whole range then i would be buying them exclusively...mainly for John

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2946 on: February 09, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
does the villani egg have a steep tail? or does it feels steeper due to it being shorter.....interested in trying one as long as it isnt mellow
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2947 on: February 09, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
does the villani egg have a steep tail? or does it feels steeper due to it being shorter.....interested in trying one as long as it isnt mellow
i dont know exactly, but it's seems short? could be good. fos let primitive and franky user that shape fyi, i wonder how different it is than the new eraser egg.
 Nose: 6.9"  Tail: 6.4"

also 25% off here with G25K
https://garageskateshop.com/collections/decks/products/primitive-franky-villani-freakout-deck

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #2948 on: February 10, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »

It’s just right, not too mellow but not too steep where you’re ghost popping either. like others said basically a heroin egg. But I love mine, and it has lasted so long.

You will enjoy it
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #2949 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
My latest fattie creation. I call it a "tech 9"
9" shop board, BBS wood, 14.25 WB, supposedly this is Kader's shape.
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

next to a 8.3 for comparison

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2950 on: February 12, 2021, 08:02:05 AM »
Kader rides 8.5s now

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2951 on: February 12, 2021, 11:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yea the last run of Dane 1s had no wheel wells, this one is an older one that just randomly popped up on parade one night, and I jumped on it no hesitation
[close]
report back how it is with 55’s. I never tried that combo. Short wheelbase and ace’s pulling it in more with a not-so steep tail
[close]
Dane1 with the 55s is the absolute best, in my humble opinion

Second this. Ridden a Dane 1 with thunders before and 55s the last week or two. Really fun and not squirelly at all!

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury

Zark

« Reply #2953 on: February 13, 2021, 09:11:45 PM »

Craig questions deck
and the cruiser is the donovan rice

Just set up the Craig and only skated in the basement a little, all my spots are snowed over or wet atm. Super responsive with the 14.1 w/b it actually flips easier than my popscicle setup, maybe cause it magic carpets a little on 169s, being 10".
Having a hard time getting good pop on the heroin, way lower than my 9" popscicle and even lesser than the cruiser next to it. It's not a weight issue because it's almost the same as the popscicle. Thinking it has to do with the steepness of the tail? noticed it's angle is a lot mellower than the others, or maybe it's the squareness? It feels great under my feet so it'll be the next cruiser setup.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2954 on: February 13, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

Just set up the Craig and only skated in the basement a little, all my spots are snowed over or wet atm. Super responsive with the 14.1 w/b it actually flips easier than my popscicle setup, maybe cause it magic carpets a little on 169s, being 10".
[close]
Having a hard time getting good pop on the heroin, way lower than my 9" popscicle and even lesser than the cruiser next to it. It's not a weight issue because it's almost the same as the popscicle. Thinking it has to do with the steepness of the tail? noticed it's angle is a lot mellower than the others, or maybe it's the squareness? It feels great under my feet so it'll be the next cruiser setup.
probably has to do with the tail angle. have the same issue with my dane1, venture forged has made it better but still not perfect
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Zark

« Reply #2955 on: February 13, 2021, 11:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
probably has to do with the tail angle. have the same issue with my dane1, venture forged has made it better but still not perfect
Yeah I think it has something to do with the eleverage or how it contacts the ground, it's just not reactive, the deck's not soggy, it must be the steepness, tail is slightly stubbier too, my wheels are 54, so maybe it's not enough contact, I dunno just feels off.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2956 on: February 13, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
[close]
Yeah I think it has something to do with the eleverage or how it contacts the ground, it's just not reactive, the deck's not soggy, it must be the steepness, tail is slightly stubbier too, my wheels are 54, so maybe it's not enough contact, I dunno just feels off.
im at the same stage. tried 55mm wheels and its just aight but id need like 58-60s to get it to the desired steepness. would need 1/4" risers and the setup would just be too high for me to really love. maybe try skating it backwards? for short nose shapes i find that i like the short "tail" long nose feel of riding it the wrong way

its a shame most of the big boy shapes have mellow tail angles, but hopefully the villani egg doesnt disappoint me

Fhk

« Reply #2957 on: February 14, 2021, 04:28:29 AM »
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

Thats amazing. What's the length on that?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2958 on: February 14, 2021, 04:59:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m back:

Tbh, the graphic isn’t exactly wall hanger material and I kept fantasizing about riding it ...
[close]

very curious to know how you like it, I have it as the next board up and I can't wait.
[close]
will let you know, went for my first roll on it yesterday but I wasn’t really having a good day and it sorta felt strange coming from my surf shape with aces...
Update: have had a few solid session on the Chico now and I have to say I really like it. It was weird coming from the couch chocolate shape tbh and I still find it a tad too long but now that I’m adjusted, I can do most of my tricks on it and the bbs pop blows most of the competitors out of the water. The. Other thing that was messing with me as mentioned above, is my surf shape was my main board for a bit so coming from aces w/ 56mm wheels to 52mm wheels and films was a bit of a mind fuck, the polar is also really short!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zark

« Reply #2959 on: February 14, 2021, 10:56:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
im at the same stage. tried 55mm wheels and its just aight but id need like 58-60s to get it to the desired steepness. would need 1/4" risers and the setup would just be too high for me to really love. maybe try skating it backwards? for short nose shapes i find that i like the short "tail" long nose feel of riding it the wrong way

its a shame most of the big boy shapes have mellow tail angles, but hopefully the villani egg doesnt disappoint me
Yeah, it's 10"deck with a long nose it needs more of an angled kick to get it going, or maybe my leg is too weak. Who makes primitive, is their wood good, I've been considering a football/egg shape for my next one. Let us know how it goes.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2960 on: February 14, 2021, 12:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

[close]
I measured it at 32.625.
32.25 if you go tip to tip

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #2961 on: February 14, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

What are the stats on the reference board? That thing looks perfect.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2962 on: February 14, 2021, 12:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah, it's 10"deck with a long nose it needs more of an angled kick to get it going, or maybe my leg is too weak. Who makes primitive, is their wood good, I've been considering a football/egg shape for my next one. Let us know how it goes.
I'm enjoying my Heroin questions with 169s, 60 classic and a 1/8 riser. No issue getting pop. The tail is really unique with some side rocker action going on. Reminiscent of an old H-Street. I had to switch up my technique to get it to tre flip. Instead of having my back foot in the pocket, I need to put my big toe on the corner. Then it goes. And it goes good.
Primitive is BBS, just like Heroin.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2963 on: February 14, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

I skated the original Kader pro deck and it was so fun. Stoked to see theres still someone producing that shape. Such a fun board for manual pads and doing ollies.

Fhk

« Reply #2964 on: February 14, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunder 161s
F4 OG Classic 52

[close]
[close]
I measured it at 32.625.
32.25 if you go tip to tip
Thank you bud, I emailed them to get a heads-up on the availability of them.

Zark

« Reply #2965 on: February 14, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
I'm enjoying my Heroin questions with 169s, 60 classic and a 1/8 riser. No issue getting pop. The tail is really unique with some side rocker action going on. Reminiscent of an old H-Street. I had to switch up my technique to get it to tre flip. Instead of having my back foot in the pocket, I need to put my big toe on the corner. Then it goes. And it goes good.
Maybe cause I'm using 53-54mm with no riser, more height would probably help, I can get some pop, it's just weak. Didn't know they were BBS too, thanks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2966 on: February 14, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Craig questions deck

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Maybe cause I'm using 53-54mm with no riser, more height would probably help, I can get some pop, it's just weak. Didn't know they were BBS too, thanks.

Just to check, Primitive were all BBS, but might have changed for some places - this one in Europe is NOT on BBS wood:

I got a Primitive Villani sock monster deck thinking that will be BBS, but the sticker says made in China... It is made on Dailan Huahong or DSM? :/

sammyz

« Reply #2967 on: February 14, 2021, 11:14:12 PM »
@gay imp sausage inspired me to set mine up again...3rd times a charm...this time, i'm really liking it. I think the issue i had is back foot placement...today i tried putting it at the edge of the tail rather than the pocket, and wow, what a difference!

Chico deck
thunder 149 - medium bottom bushing, super hard top bushing
Spitfire F4 53mm 99

Also...on the Black Label Jake Reuter 9" deck, i went to the skate shop and measured it...the measurements on the black label site seems to be incorrect...length is definitely 32.2 like the Tactics website says, and although everyone has it 14.5 WB, middle of hole to middle of hole is about 14.65 so not sure whats going on.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2968 on: February 15, 2021, 04:29:12 AM »

Also...on the Black Label Jake Reuter 9" deck, i went to the skate shop and measured it...the measurements on the black label site seems to be incorrect...length is definitely 32.2 like the Tactics website says, and although everyone has it 14.5 WB, middle of hole to middle of hole is about 14.65 so not sure whats going on.

That is weird!

With that length of wheelbase, you could take it in .38 (using the six hole standard Indy baseplate guide) at either end and might be just right for you.  If the tail was too short, that end would be good, but if the tail is nice as is, then you could take the nose end in and shorten the nose down some as well.

Might be too much work, but you could use a Brown Bomber as a template...

sammyz

« Reply #2969 on: February 15, 2021, 04:39:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is weird!

With that length of wheelbase, you could take it in .38 (using the six hole standard Indy baseplate guide) at either end and might be just right for you.  If the tail was too short, that end would be good, but if the tail is nice as is, then you could take the nose end in and shorten the nose down some as well.

Might be too much work, but you could use a Brown Bomber as a template...

Didn’t  even think about modding it...but it would be easy like you say. Get paid on Friday, so ill get a dipped white one and see how it measures up in the comfort of my own home