Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533768 times)

munchbox, Enrico Pallazzo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5040 on: October 14, 2022, 04:40:17 PM »

I’d very much like a radial over the tub, as I can steer with my toes while I’m pushing.

Looked into black label and there are a few interesting ones, but they’re not readily available in Europe. I.E. can’t find one in Denmark or Germany. Have to order from the Netherlands, but they only have like 6, and only a two of them are bigger.

Most "normal" boards do have way more "normal" concave, so on average quite different to Santa Cruz / Creature boards, which are definitely really good boards that I appreciate, but cannot ride myself as they just don't feel comfortable.

As to which boards will work, it often comes down to which woodshop and concaves used, so as per people talking about Black Label, Polar and many others including Antihero, who all make readily available bigger boards, they are all from the same woodshop too (called BBS), which then makes it way easier to find a board I am comfortable riding - almost the same concaves, although some might be a touch more mellow, others a touch steeper, but feel nothing at all like other woodshops, such as the ones that Santa Cruz / Creature come from (Dwindle / Excel).

From being in and around skate shops a whole lot, the best advice is go in somewhere that has a reasonable selection of brands and stand on any and every board you can to see what feels more comfortable, including boards you might not ride for specific shapes and sizes, just to get a feel for them and once you work out which one feels the best, then it is way easier to look up which woodshop they come from and get something from that range, even if it is online rather than in person.

I know that is not always possible, but going in to which ever local shop there is around, close or not so close, it is worth the effort, more so than only buying online and trying to work out after you have set a board up if you like it or not.

Some would say the madness alone of working out which woodshop feels the best and limiting your options from that is a step in the wrong direction, but it is up to each person to work out what they want, what works, what doesn't work and go from there.

Given you are in a specific country in Europe, things can sometimes be a bit more painful, between who has what, but others who do live in various places in Europe usually have good advice on here for others too.

Current woodshop thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #5041 on: October 14, 2022, 07:03:29 PM »
Anyone skate the New Deal Vallely Alien. Looks like a cool shape and love that it's a Templeton graphic. Haven't tried any of the New Deal stuff from Dwindle.

Width: 9.18" x Length" 32" - Wheelbase: 14"

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/new-deal-vallely-alien-old-school-reissue-deck-neon/

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5042 on: October 15, 2022, 02:44:19 AM »
Hey, I think I want to join the big board club. Things is I’ve found that I’ve grown quite a bit since I was 13-14 years old. In 2000-2001. Back then I rode an 8 and everybody was all up in my face about what business I had riding such a huge board
I have some questions for the experts here.

1. My 8.6 creature has “tub” concave, and I’m not sure I like it. I can’t steer my board very well unless I have my front foot at an angle while I’m pushing. Does the 9” creature decks have the same concave or a radial one?

2. Will I need a “tech” deck i.e.  the VX or flight? I’m 275 pounds/125 kg atm. Will regular 7-ply or Epoxied 7s stand being stood on?

3. I’m 6’2”/185cm and 2’/60cm across the shoulders. A rather large old man, and I’m not very stable as I’m top heavy. Should I go for wheelbase, width or both?

4. I’m looking at 9”+ popsicle decks and lightly shaped boards, not really the 80’s ones. Creature Willis Kimbel pro models and Antihero Orange eagle or green giant is what I’ve been contemplating.
Have any other recommendations I should check out? +15” wb with decent kicks. I have Indy 159, but I don’t mind sizing up to 169.

I know it’s a lot, so thanks in advance.

probably the Orange Eagle or Huffer is a safe bet. those will fit well with the truck you already have. huffer is 14.75 wheelbase but thats stable enough.
Antihero are on the more affordable side of big boards spectrum too. and there allways available, cant say that for many other big shapes.

snapping boards also really depends on how/what you skate i guess. i'm in the 100/110kg and never snapped a deck. but i also never flip my board. and definitly no gaps or drops.
just skate curbs/ledges and transition.

personally i am very stoked on flat middle concave in boards. the way Heroin and (Gnosis made) Blast decks are is perfect. not as extreme as NHS concave tho i think but never skate NHS so can't compare.
normal concave gives me cramps in my foot when pushing a lot. but i got wide ass flat feet.

for Black Label, Skatetilldeath in Belgium has a bunch in stock too, but might be the exact same as Sickboards has. normally Titus would have too but havnt seen them there in a while. theyre allways dificult to find in europe sadly.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5043 on: October 15, 2022, 03:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
First of I want to welcome you to the big boy club, we ride the big wood here (pun intended)

Whatever you do, don't go for the 9Inch Flight Deck. The shape is horrible.
If you are afraid that your weight mitht cause your board to break, go for a widrr board. They usualy dont snap as quick.

Most creature boards have a very aggressive concave and are very stiff, maybe not your best choice.

If you want a big board that lasts a long time and is fun to ride I would really recommend a Black Label board here. Haven't snapped  a single one and that means something
[close]
Thanks man!
I'll ditch the thought of a flight then. Creature/Santa Cruz doesn’t make any VX bigger than 8.8” w/ 14.25” wb ATM.
I’ve never snapped a deck so I must be pretty light footed. But the thought of having an indestructible deck is really appealing. I’ve no doubt my 8.6” will ever snap or crack.

My board has the tub concave with a bit of flat in the middle, does the other boards I mention have the same? I really like the stiffness, as I feels more secure and less soggy. When I stand in my 8” the wheels come further apart.
Concave like this:

Or this:

I’d very much like a radial over the tub, as I can steer with my toes while I’m pushing.

Looked into black label and there are a few interesting ones, but they’re not readily available in Europe. I.E. can’t find one in Denmark or Germany. Have to order from the Netherlands, but they only have like 6, and only a two of them are bigger.

Edit: pictures look like shit. Sry.
[close]

It looks like you are kind of facinated by the "indestructable" board thing.
Although I back that, I have to let you know that you wont find a big board that is using any kind of technology for that matter.
When it comes to concave, NHS boards (SC, Creature) seem to have very aggressive concave.
I personally skate Heroin, Label and Blast boards. I am 6.7 and around 90kg and go through a board about every month or two.

I would recommend you to buy a board that you like the shape of and if it snaps so be it. I even cracked
my flight deck, so all the tech wont really save you here.

Maybe try a Polar board. They can be easily found in Europe and habe some good shapes. Depends what width you prefer.

Are you looking for a board in the 9-9.5 range or bigger than that?
I don’t mind the height of the concave, it’s more the shape of it.
Yeah I shouldn’t be afraid of snapping boards. I’m more afraid of falling, which is stupid cause it half of skateboarding. Its not to do with economy, as skateboarding is cheap compared to other hobbies.

The polars all look okay, but they’re short.
I’m looking at 15” or more in the wheelbase department.

probably the Orange Eagle or Huffer is a safe bet. those will fit well with the truck you already have. huffer is 14.75 wheelbase but thats stable enough.
Antihero are on the more affordable side of big boards spectrum too. and there allways available, cant say that for many other big shapes.

snapping boards also really depends on how/what you skate i guess. i'm in the 100/110kg and never snapped a deck. but i also never flip my board. and definitly no gaps or drops.
just skate curbs/ledges and transition.

personally i am very stoked on flat middle concave in boards. the way Heroin and (Gnosis made) Blast decks are is perfect. not as extreme as NHS concave tho i think but never skate NHS so can't compare.
normal concave gives me cramps in my foot when pushing a lot. but i got wide ass flat feet.

for Black Label, Skatetilldeath in Belgium has a bunch in stock too, but might be the exact same as Sickboards has. normally Titus would have too but havnt seen them there in a while. theyre allways dificult to find in europe sadly.

Yeah, I don’t really do all the dangerous stuff like gaps and drops. My skating is at a pretty low level. Literally don’t skate anything higher than 5’/150cm

My next purchase will probably be an Antihero, Orange Eagle, Huffer or Green Giant. The huffer could easily be drilled up to a 15.25” as it has a lot of nose and flat. I think.

I didn’t know Skatetilldeath, but now I do, thanks!
They have way more Black label than Sickboards. I like the Reuter, the Lucero is too shaped for my taste. Too bad it’s not long enough.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Creachteach

« Reply #5044 on: October 15, 2022, 04:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey, I think I want to join the big board club. Things is I’ve found that I’ve grown quite a bit since I was 13-14 years old. In 2000-2001. Back then I rode an 8 and everybody was all up in my face about what business I had riding such a huge board

1. My 8.6 creature has “tub” concave, and I’m not sure I like it. I can’t steer my board very well unless I have my front foot at an angle while I’m pushing. Does the 9” creature decks have the same concave or a radial one?

2. Will I need a “tech” deck i.e.  the VX or flight? I’m 275 pounds/125 kg atm. Will regular 7-ply or Epoxied 7s stand being stood on?

3. I’m 6’2”/185cm and 2’/60cm across the shoulders. A rather large old man, and I’m not very stable as I’m top heavy. Should I go for wheelbase, width or both?

4. I’m looking at 9”+ popsicle decks and lightly shaped boards, not really the 80’s ones. Creature Willis Kimbel pro models and Antihero Orange eagle or green giant is what I’ve been contemplating.
Have any other recommendations I should check out? +15” wb with decent kicks. I have Indy 159, but I don’t mind sizing up to 169.

[close]
The only industrial strength thing you'll likely need are some hard bushings. 90A are super soft in your weight class. I'm 6ft and 265 and I like the Indy 94A Barrels. They feel pretty medium for me. I tried a lot of bushings though.

Other than your retro 80s fish styles with huge wheelbases, you've got shapes that have straighter rails and bigger noses in the very early 90s which Polar covers really well. The 1991 has a 14.5 wb now though there have been some out there with 14.38 in the past. That's as big a wheelbase as you're likely to see for a early 90's shape unless you get something double drilled and put it in vert mode. Then it would be around 15". Welcome puts out a Chris Miller shape like that and I have a small hoard of them. After that, there are Eggs which keep it around 14.5 but there's the Huffer shape that has a 14.75wb. Enjoi puts out a 9" pop that has a 14.38wb on a mellow concave, steep kicks mold. There is some lineage with the Dwindle/Enjoi wood and NHS/Creature stuff but I don't think the wood and the molds are exactly the same. Maybe it's just they are all single pressed and at the same factory in China? Someone set me straight if you feel like it.

If you're comfortable with the overall dimensions, the Orange Eagle is reliably available and has been for years. It's too much wheelbase for me but I can think of a couple of people who only ride that shape.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of any kinda rocker concave and I don't get why NHS keeps trying it.

I think I have my bushing sorted for now. I’m currently on Bones Hard 96a, and I’m in the process of finding ideal tightness. I have been advised by a slap pal to try out double barrels, and 100a’s. Right now I’m fine though. I’m a teacher now, but I have a background as a mechanic. And I’ve always loved tinkering with stuff, so I guess skateboard truck and I are a perfect match.
I really can’t get with that tub/rocker/flat-cave.
Looks like the Anti Hero’s come highly recommended, both the huffer and orange eagle, so I guess I’m trying them.

Most "normal" boards do have way more "normal" concave, so on average quite different to Santa Cruz / Creature boards, which are definitely really good boards that I appreciate, but cannot ride myself as they just don't feel comfortable.

As to which boards will work, it often comes down to which woodshop and concaves used, so as per people talking about Black Label, Polar and many others including Antihero, who all make readily available bigger boards, they are all from the same woodshop too (called BBS), which then makes it way easier to find a board I am comfortable riding - almost the same concaves, although some might be a touch more mellow, others a touch steeper, but feel nothing at all like other woodshops, such as the ones that Santa Cruz / Creature come from (Dwindle / Excel).

From being in and around skate shops a whole lot, the best advice is go in somewhere that has a reasonable selection of brands and stand on any and every board you can to see what feels more comfortable, including boards you might not ride for specific shapes and sizes, just to get a feel for them and once you work out which one feels the best, then it is way easier to look up which woodshop they come from and get something from that range, even if it is online rather than in person.

I know that is not always possible, but going in to which ever local shop there is around, close or not so close, it is worth the effort, more so than only buying online and trying to work out after you have set a board up if you like it or not.

Some would say the madness alone of working out which woodshop feels the best and limiting your options from that is a step in the wrong direction, but it is up to each person to work out what they want, what works, what doesn't work and go from there.

Given you are in a specific country in Europe, things can sometimes be a bit more painful, between who has what, but others who do live in various places in Europe usually have good advice on here for others too.

Current woodshop thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Oh yeah, I’m aware of the wood shop thread. Wicked library of information.
It really makes sense to get a feel for what kinds of molds and wood I like, that way I’ll have an easier time selecting boards in the future. It’s solid advice.
Closest shop is an hour and a half away, so don’t come to them often, and their selections are usually pretty meager. I’ll have to sus it out online. With guitar gear, when I found my Goldilocks stuff, I’ve stuck with it, and I hope I can eventually get close in a few tries with skateboarding stuff.
I have shopping basket with a board, 169’s, two sets of wheels, rails, 100a bushings, and non-Mob grip. Oh and cruiser wheels.

Actually, Powell makes Flights all the way up to 9.7.

I had an 8.75 flight popsicle from them, and my only complaint was the long wheelbase. I redrilled it on my && deck (along with sanding off the sharp edges) and now I actually really like it.
And yes, it lasts a stupid long time.
I would probably be real comfy on the long wheelbase flights, but I hear the kicks are somewhat low and the concave mellow.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #5045 on: October 15, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »
169's Indy's
Ricta Clouds 86a + Reds
9" Shrunken head deck
Mob grip

I need soft wheels because old knees and my local is too rugged, will sacrifice on extra weight and wheelbite...guess I will be ollieng a lot less

oliknight

« Reply #5046 on: October 16, 2022, 02:15:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjyDVVnpEMa/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Anyone have any idea what deck this is that Ben Koppl is skating? I know it’s Blast but I can’t figure out if it’s from the last drop or it’s an unreleased shape.

He could skate a frying pan and make it look like the coolest thing ever.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5047 on: October 16, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »

Anyone have any idea what deck this is that Ben Koppl is skating? I know it’s Blast but I can’t figure out if it’s from the last drop or it’s an unreleased shape.

Doesnt look like one of the boards out of their lineup.
Probably one of the DIY boards. They did a DIY kit not long ago where you could saw your custom shape out of a 10' plank.

disclosed

« Reply #5048 on: October 16, 2022, 02:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Probably one of the DIY boards. They did a DIY kit not long ago where you could saw your custom shape out of a 10' plank.
it seems to have the Tutti Fruity on the bottom. the sides also look like it could be that shape. but then he cut the nose square himself.

edit.
no its not the Tutti Fruity. but it has the costom colors on the bottom, those DIY's were not dyed. i know Mcrobbie had one of his signature decks with the same crazy color swirl on the bottom. so its definitly an old one from Gnosis. it looks the closest to the basic 10" shape. but the tail is smaller it seems.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 02:53:45 PM by disclosed »

oliknight

« Reply #5049 on: October 16, 2022, 02:54:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
it seems to have the Tutti Fruity on the bottom. the sides also look like it could be that shape. but then he cut the nose square himself.

Yeah that was my thought exactly!
Have they announced a date for new decks? They’re really making us wait, I know it will be worth it though :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5050 on: October 16, 2022, 06:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Just saw on the Dogtown site that some of their pops are now BBS.  Kind of interesting since they have been PS as long as I can remember.
[close]

Seems like more and more brands are moving to BBS. Anyone know why? It seems like they've begun to dominate as of late.

What goes on behind the scenes, anyone can guess, but the most common reason brands change woodshops or even start looking is if they are unhappy with the current supplier for whatever reason, or unable to get what they want through the current supplier.

This did remind me to go and check, so from a quick look, it is interesting that they clearly show which woodshop their boards come from, as well as listing dimensions which I am always a fan of - details help.

https://dogtownskateboards.com/collections/skateboard-decks

https://dogtownskateboards.com/collections/skateboard-decks/products/dogtown-aaron-murray-m80-deck-9-25-x-32-5

Dogtown Aaron Murray M80 Deck
Modern Version of Aaron Murray's 80's Classic Deck.
Made by PS Stix

https://dogtownskateboards.com/collections/skateboard-decks/products/dogtown-bandana-street-deck-9-0

Dogtown Bandana Street Deck 9.0" x 32.45" x 14.625"wb
Blue Stain Stain
Made at BBS

For a 9" board those dimensions are actually pretty good too.

* From the woodshop thread, but thought it would be good here too, if anyone was looking for a 9" popsicle that wasn't super long with decent dimensions.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5051 on: October 16, 2022, 06:23:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Have they announced a date for new decks? They’re really making us wait, I know it will be worth it though :)

Now they are through the new supplier and distributor Quarter Distribution, things might take a minute to get boards to whatever specs they want through the "unknown woodshop" (China or where ever) they get theirs from, rather than previously Gnosis UK making the boards to order.

Saw this though, from last week.  Might be one of them maybe?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjZ71s3oIyn/

Edit:

Saw this as well...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cizw-YgMjB5/

disclosed

« Reply #5052 on: October 18, 2022, 07:42:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Now they are through the new supplier and distributor Quarter Distribution, things might take a minute to get boards to whatever specs they want through the "unknown woodshop" (China or where ever) they get theirs from, rather than previously Gnosis UK making the boards to order.

those are the team riders signature boards. they gonna release them again.
the board Ben Koppl rides in that video is definitly and old Gnosis one.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5053 on: October 18, 2022, 06:02:17 PM »

Had to pull the trigger on the Lucero. Using it as my vert board as for now. Never seen a better print / screen on a board ever before

That Aggression Session setup is so sick.
How do you like skating that shape?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #5054 on: October 18, 2022, 07:32:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

This one?

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5055 on: October 19, 2022, 05:23:15 AM »

Any idea which woodshop makes these reissues? Definitely gonna buy a Snelling if I can find one in Europe.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5056 on: October 19, 2022, 07:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, good to see all the hype around them anyway.

Rad dude and always amazing skating.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5057 on: October 21, 2022, 09:29:12 AM »
I've been really pleased with crail boards recently.

I got a Raven Tershey "Couch" 9.25 W × 13.8 WB (football/egg hybrid) a few months ago and have been hooked on crail's shaped boards since.

With the crailstore sale early this summer, i copped 2 of the "loveseat"; 9 W x 13.8 WB, and those were really fun, but the 9.25 is amazing. Not sure if its the tapered rails, but neither shape feels super big or heavy. Feels like a damn boogie board on trucks; surfy, in a word. Stoked I got a 9.25 ready to go when my current ride dies.

Kinda torn about putting rails on the new deck.... they were fun for the time, but there's something about sliding on wood   ::)

Current set-up

Girl "loveseat"- 9 x 32, 13.875 wb
Ace AF1 - 66
OJ Elite 101a, 55mm

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5058 on: October 21, 2022, 06:26:32 PM »
PSA: Street Plant has most of their boards on sale for $35 through Christmas. Doesn’t include the Barnyard preorder, but there are some nice 9+ decks. I believe he uses PS Stix.

Creachteach

« Reply #5059 on: October 22, 2022, 01:29:21 AM »
Does anybody have/have had the 9” x33” x 15” Creature Kimbel popsicle decks?

Can you post a picture or describe the concave? And like your suggestions for a truck/wheel combo?

One guy in here posted a picture of 4 Anti Hero 9” Orange Eagle decks, but I can’t remember which thread.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5060 on: October 23, 2022, 07:42:04 PM »

Can you post a picture or describe the concave? And like your suggestions for a truck/wheel combo?

One guy in here posted a picture of 4 Anti Hero 9” Orange Eagle decks, but I can’t remember which thread.

When I was getting in a lot of Creature stuff for a side project shop quite a few years ago now, one guy always wanted the 9" and they were huge to stand on, big steep concave cross ways as well as steep kicks, which I don't think has changed any after standing on one recently in a shop, but the tails were more on the shorter side when comparing to similar boards.

I am not a steep concave / steep kick person, so they felt totally wrong for me, compared to my AH orange eagles which I have had a few of, more as a fun board, but they still skate fine as a normal big board too.  Concave was really good for the size and shape, same dimensions of 9 x 33 with 15 wb too, along with a few other brands which use the same BBS wood for their 9 x 33 decks, all with really good ratio of nose, tail, etc, but I am more biased in that regard.

The others I know who have that size board ride them with Indy 169s, but a few are riding Ace trucks in the 9" variety now too, which also works well, although they are way more loose truck / turny / carvy type of rides, you can put hard bushings in them so they are not so loosey goosey.  I have had setups with both of those and prefer Indy, but again, that is just me.  The Ace trucks still skated well and worked nicely on it.

The two orange eagles I have set up right now both have standard Indy 169s, Spitfire Classics, one with 58mm and one with 54mm wheels.  A couple of other boards of similar size have Spitfire Conical Full 56 and 58mm with thin rubber risers, but I haven't really skated them a whole lot as I prefer the Classic shaped wheels myself and they are just used completes for other people to try when they want to skate a bigger board.  They all still work fine though.

That one has a few pics of the orange eagle:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfk0HLGpPQE/

Creachteach

« Reply #5061 on: October 23, 2022, 11:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I was getting in a lot of Creature stuff for a side project shop quite a few years ago now, one guy always wanted the 9" and they were huge to stand on, big steep concave cross ways as well as steep kicks, which I don't think has changed any after standing on one recently in a shop, but the tails were more on the shorter side when comparing to similar boards.

I am not a steep concave / steep kick person, so they felt totally wrong for me, compared to my AH orange eagles which I have had a few of, more as a fun board, but they still skate fine as a normal big board too.  Concave was really good for the size and shape, same dimensions of 9 x 33 with 15 wb too, along with a few other brands which use the same BBS wood for their 9 x 33 decks, all with really good ratio of nose, tail, etc, but I am more biased in that regard.

The others I know who have that size board ride them with Indy 169s, but a few are riding Ace trucks in the 9" variety now too, which also works well, although they are way more loose truck / turny / carvy type of rides, you can put hard bushings in them so they are not so loosey goosey.  I have had setups with both of those and prefer Indy, but again, that is just me.  The Ace trucks still skated well and worked nicely on it.

The two orange eagles I have set up right now both have standard Indy 169s, Spitfire Classics, one with 58mm and one with 54mm wheels.  A couple of other boards of similar size have Spitfire Conical Full 56 and 58mm with thin rubber risers, but I haven't really skated them a whole lot as I prefer the Classic shaped wheels myself and they are just used completes for other people to try when they want to skate a bigger board.  They all still work fine though.

Thanks for that rundown. I somehow had a brain fart and didn’t finish my previous post. The train of thought I was on for mentioning that guy with all the eagles, was to say that I’d like the same consistency but differing graphics. Even though the graphics in the eagle are really good.

There’s a sale right now that puts the Toy Machine 9” x 33” x 15” right in my scope.

You mention other boards, that are like from the same mold as the eagle? Which one should I check out?

For now, in the long run the Creature will save me a bit of money per deck compared to the AH eagle.

Don’t think I’d mind the steep kicks and concave of the Creature. I just wanted to see pictures of it to see whether any of them had the tub.

Def gonna get me some 169, but can’t decide on forged or standard hollow. Ideally I’d get both, and that way I can use 56mm wheels on the forged when they’re worn down to 54. Use the 56mm/standard hollow for transition, and 54mm/forged for street.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5062 on: October 24, 2022, 02:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Had to pull the trigger on the Lucero. Using it as my vert board as for now. Never seen a better print / screen on a board ever before
[close]

That Aggression Session setup is so sick.
How do you like skating that shape?

It's a bit short but the tail is perfect for tailtaps.

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5063 on: October 24, 2022, 06:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you think I could do that with the current Gonz shape and put the Huffer wheelbase on it?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5064 on: October 25, 2022, 03:31:06 AM »

Thanks for that rundown. I somehow had a brain fart and didn’t finish my previous post. The train of thought I was on for mentioning that guy with all the eagles, was to say that I’d like the same consistency but differing graphics. Even though the graphics in the eagle are really good.

There’s a sale right now that puts the Toy Machine 9” x 33” x 15” right in my scope.

You mention other boards, that are like from the same mold as the eagle? Which one should I check out?

For now, in the long run the Creature will save me a bit of money per deck compared to the AH eagle.

Don’t think I’d mind the steep kicks and concave of the Creature. I just wanted to see pictures of it to see whether any of them had the tub.

Def gonna get me some 169, but can’t decide on forged or standard hollow. Ideally I’d get both, and that way I can use 56mm wheels on the forged when they’re worn down to 54. Use the 56mm/standard hollow for transition, and 54mm/forged for street.

Creature concave is all the same, so the smaller Creature boards will be the same concave as the larger Creature boards, just a different mold for the much longer board.

BBS molds are consistently the same throughout their own boards too, so right off the top of my head, I can't remember too many options that are currently in stock in 9" boards with the 33 length and 15 wb, but there should also be a few other options with shorter wheelbases that are good boards and decent wood.

Did I see you are EU based?   That changes things with looking up shops to get boards from as well, but I know a few shops that use BBS and get wider boards in, but most of those are in AU (where I am) or more commonly in USA.

I usually look up boards with width being the first thing, then check the other measurements, but some like Polar have shorter wheelbases and length, as do Enjoi from Dwindle, which is comparable to Creature boards in concave.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/toy-machine-sketchy-monster-9-skateboard-deck-multi_p109412

This Toy Machine deck looks like it has PS Stix wood - warning sticker and front bolts laser engraving - which is different to both BBS and current Creature concave but should be a good board to get too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5065 on: October 25, 2022, 03:40:45 AM »

Do you think I could do that with the current Gonz shape and put the Huffer wheelbase on it?

Generally speaking, yes it is not too hard and usually works fairly well, but drill the nose out more so than the tail.

Is that the Sweatpants graphic / shape?  * I say sweatpants, as that is the (roughly speaking) 9.8 x 32 with 14.38 wb, but the graphic changes a fair bit, current catalog being "Gathering" graphic.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall22/kr-fl22-d1-08.jpg

Using the six hole baseplate, it is easy to do the bolts up tight, drill out the spare holes, then turn the baseplate around and drill out the inside holes.  That is 3/8 longer, so that and the existing 14.38 will become pretty much the Huffer 14.75 wb, or 14 3/4" if that makes sense.

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5066 on: October 25, 2022, 08:44:38 AM »
I'm 5'6 120ish and skate 8.25-8.5.  I don't usually pay too much attention to wheelbase but the last board I had a Real Zion Cathedral was 8.28 but the wheelbase was just above 14 inches so it felt like a much smaller deck. I like being able to get a cheap or free old deck from a friend and be able to skate it if it's in those parameters and I would say a lot of skaters are in that width zone right now.  I don't know I could be wrong but all my friends seem to be there.  I'd like to try a foil wrapped Primitive egg shaped deck like Franky rides but I'm scared of spending 60 some odd dollars on a gamble. 

disclosed

« Reply #5067 on: October 25, 2022, 12:23:25 PM »
you guys seen that new Unity board? looks pretty good.
9.75" wide, 14.1" wheelbase. seems its the same shape as the Hanging Klansman deck from Real.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkHOCVZvvAQ/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5068 on: October 25, 2022, 03:29:10 PM »
you guys seen that new Unity board? looks pretty good.
9.75" wide, 14.1" wheelbase. seems its the same shape as the Hanging Klansman deck from Real.

Nice!

I had to go looking as I couldn't remember the shape:

https://www.unityzines.com/

https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/on-top-9-75

9.75 x 31.56 x 14.1

Foil text

Jim Thiebaud shape!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5069 on: October 25, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
I'm 5'6 120ish and skate 8.25-8.5.  I don't usually pay too much attention to wheelbase but the last board I had a Real Zion Cathedral was 8.28 but the wheelbase was just above 14 inches so it felt like a much smaller deck. I like being able to get a cheap or free old deck from a friend and be able to skate it if it's in those parameters and I would say a lot of skaters are in that width zone right now.  I don't know I could be wrong but all my friends seem to be there.  I'd like to try a foil wrapped Primitive egg shaped deck like Franky rides but I'm scared of spending 60 some odd dollars on a gamble.

The one and only thing I would say about those egg shaped boards is they have a tiny, tiny tail.

If at all possible, try to see one and stand on one before you buy it, because that killed that idea for me completely when I saw and stood on it.  Or any egg shaped board for that matter.

Not that I need a big square tail or anything like that, but a normal tail of boards you have skated will be both longer and wider to the tip than something like those Primitive egg shapes.

Some people love them, but others find them very difficult to skate normally.

Egg thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.2010