Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533743 times)

justpassingthrough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5070 on: October 26, 2022, 09:53:31 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm 5'6 120ish and skate 8.25-8.5.  I don't usually pay too much attention to wheelbase but the last board I had a Real Zion Cathedral was 8.28 but the wheelbase was just above 14 inches so it felt like a much smaller deck. I like being able to get a cheap or free old deck from a friend and be able to skate it if it's in those parameters and I would say a lot of skaters are in that width zone right now.  I don't know I could be wrong but all my friends seem to be there.  I'd like to try a foil wrapped Primitive egg shaped deck like Franky rides but I'm scared of spending 60 some odd dollars on a gamble.
[close]

The one and only thing I would say about those egg shaped boards is they have a tiny, tiny tail.

If at all possible, try to see one and stand on one before you buy it, because that killed that idea for me completely when I saw and stood on it.  Or any egg shaped board for that matter.

Not that I need a big square tail or anything like that, but a normal tail of boards you have skated will be both longer and wider to the tip than something like those Primitive egg shapes.

Some people love them, but others find them very difficult to skate normally.

Egg thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.2010

Yes I noticed the nose and tail don't have as much meat on them as a normal deck hence why I'm kinda scared to spend the money on 1 but we'll see.  I'll check that thread out thanks.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5071 on: October 26, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks for that rundown. I somehow had a brain fart and didn’t finish my previous post. The train of thought I was on for mentioning that guy with all the eagles, was to say that I’d like the same consistency but differing graphics. Even though the graphics in the eagle are really good.

There’s a sale right now that puts the Toy Machine 9” x 33” x 15” right in my scope.

You mention other boards, that are like from the same mold as the eagle? Which one should I check out?

For now, in the long run the Creature will save me a bit of money per deck compared to the AH eagle.

Don’t think I’d mind the steep kicks and concave of the Creature. I just wanted to see pictures of it to see whether any of them had the tub.

Def gonna get me some 169, but can’t decide on forged or standard hollow. Ideally I’d get both, and that way I can use 56mm wheels on the forged when they’re worn down to 54. Use the 56mm/standard hollow for transition, and 54mm/forged for street.
[close]

Creature concave is all the same, so the smaller Creature boards will be the same concave as the larger Creature boards, just a different mold for the much longer board.

BBS molds are consistently the same throughout their own boards too, so right off the top of my head, I can't remember too many options that are currently in stock in 9" boards with the 33 length and 15 wb, but there should also be a few other options with shorter wheelbases that are good boards and decent wood.

Did I see you are EU based?   That changes things with looking up shops to get boards from as well, but I know a few shops that use BBS and get wider boards in, but most of those are in AU (where I am) or more commonly in USA.

I usually look up boards with width being the first thing, then check the other measurements, but some like Polar have shorter wheelbases and length, as do Enjoi from Dwindle, which is comparable to Creature boards in concave.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/toy-machine-sketchy-monster-9-skateboard-deck-multi_p109412

This Toy Machine deck looks like it has PS Stix wood - warning sticker and front bolts laser engraving - which is different to both BBS and current Creature concave but should be a good board to get too.

Are you sure all the Creature offerings come with that flat-cave/tub in the middle and angled up sides?
This:
If they’re all this flat imma have to go get my name changed cause I can’t ride this.

That’s the exact board I’ve been looking at, albeit at another retailer. The board above is my second coming back to skating, and my first was an 8” x 32” x 14” shop deck. That one flexes so bad under my weight I don’t dare ride it anymore.
So I’m not really biased towards any specific Woodshop or anything. My board 20 years ago was a 8” Santa Cruz, which was huge for back then.

Yeah, I’m in Denmark. I’m mostly limited to online shopping because: 1) distance 2) availability and 3) price.
I’m mostly looking at 15” or above wheelbases which leaves out a lot of boards and brands completely. I.E. Polar, cause they’re all short.

I feel like just ordering a bunch of stuff and just send back the things I don’t immediately gel with.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5072 on: October 26, 2022, 09:40:29 PM »

Are you sure all the Creature offerings come with that flat-cave/tub in the middle and angled up sides?

If they’re all this flat imma have to go get my name changed cause I can’t ride this.

That’s the exact board I’ve been looking at, albeit at another retailer. The board above is my second coming back to skating, and my first was an 8” x 32” x 14” shop deck. That one flexes so bad under my weight I don’t dare ride it anymore.
So I’m not really biased towards any specific Woodshop or anything. My board 20 years ago was a 8” Santa Cruz, which was huge for back then.

Yeah, I’m in Denmark. I’m mostly limited to online shopping because: 1) distance 2) availability and 3) price.
I’m mostly looking at 15” or above wheelbases which leaves out a lot of boards and brands completely. I.E. Polar, cause they’re all short.

I feel like just ordering a bunch of stuff and just send back the things I don’t immediately gel with.

It is very possible that they have changed, from ten years ago, to even one year ago, or even between some shapes and sizes, but I feel like all Creature boards had a lot more concave than was comfortable for me, as well as steep kicks.

That is relative though, because someone recently had a go on a 9" orange eagle I have set up and said how steep it felt, which was weird cause their board was way steeper  / different woodshop so different concave and press mold feeling, with the orange eagle feeling pretty mellow and very comfortable for me.

A flatter board will flex a lot more right from day one, with a steeper feeling or deeper concave holding the board shape way more.

One of the reasons I was never that keen on Flight or similar feeling boards is how much flex they start with, when compared to normal all wood board constructions, but as well as that, having a board with zero give whatsoever was also not to my liking and too far off the top end of the scale.

As you said, maybe order a few things and send back anything that you can't get on with.  It might be easier in that regard than trying to make something work you have bought and not getting along with it.

Edit:

I couldn't help myself and went looking and this has a side view of the Kimbel deck:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Creature_Kimbel_Traveler_Deck/descpage-CEKTVDK.html

There are also other options for similar sized decks, different graphic to the orange eagle, but same dimensions:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_Raney_Octagon_Deck/descpage-AHROCT9DK.html

Or some others as examples that also show concave for you:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Powell_Color_Burst_Orange_Flight_246_Deck/descpage-PLCB246DK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Powell_Peralta_Ripper_Purple_Shape_246_Deck/descpage-PLRP246DK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Madness_Reflector_Deck/descpage-MDREFDK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Welcome_Tonight_Im_Yours_on_Baculus_2_Deck/descpage-WCTIYBC2ODK.html

I feel like some of those could work, but could also flex right out or just break under pressure.

Anyway, it was fun having a look at what was currently available.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:52:49 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Creachteach

« Reply #5073 on: October 27, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is very possible that they have changed, from ten years ago, to even one year ago, or even between some shapes and sizes, but I feel like all Creature boards had a lot more concave than was comfortable for me, as well as steep kicks.

That is relative though, because someone recently had a go on a 9" orange eagle I have set up and said how steep it felt, which was weird cause their board was way steeper  / different woodshop so different concave and press mold feeling, with the orange eagle feeling pretty mellow and very comfortable for me.

A flatter board will flex a lot more right from day one, with a steeper feeling or deeper concave holding the board shape way more.

One of the reasons I was never that keen on Flight or similar feeling boards is how much flex they start with, when compared to normal all wood board constructions, but as well as that, having a board with zero give whatsoever was also not to my liking and too far off the top end of the scale.

As you said, maybe order a few things and send back anything that you can't get on with.  It might be easier in that regard than trying to make something work you have bought and not getting along with it.

Edit:

I couldn't help myself and went looking and this has a side view of the Kimbel deck:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Creature_Kimbel_Traveler_Deck/descpage-CEKTVDK.html

There are also other options for similar sized decks, different graphic to the orange eagle, but same dimensions:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_Raney_Octagon_Deck/descpage-AHROCT9DK.html

Or some others as examples that also show concave for you:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Powell_Color_Burst_Orange_Flight_246_Deck/descpage-PLCB246DK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Powell_Peralta_Ripper_Purple_Shape_246_Deck/descpage-PLRP246DK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Madness_Reflector_Deck/descpage-MDREFDK.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Welcome_Tonight_Im_Yours_on_Baculus_2_Deck/descpage-WCTIYBC2ODK.html

I feel like some of those could work, but could also flex right out or just break under pressure.

Anyway, it was fun having a look at what was currently available.
You rock man!
I did try looking at a Kimbel vs an Eagle, and if anything the Eagle looks like a steeper concave and the Kimbel has steeper kicks. They both look kinda similar compared to the Powell stuff.

I really dig the VX boards, and they’re super rigid, and they aren’t ever going to snap. So I might be looking for something medium to steep, but not the tub shape concave.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5074 on: October 28, 2022, 12:27:16 AM »
looks like im permanently returning to 9+ boards
did some measuring and found an equation for my madness
10.5 is supposedly the average mens shoes size in the us
we can assume 8.25 is the average board size
10.75”(size 10.5) - 8.25” = 2.5” of overhang
11.5”(size 13 rounded) - 2.5” overhang = 9.0” or 8.25” equivalent

9.0 = 8.25
9.25 = 8.5
9.5 = 8.75
9.75 = 9

never struggled flipping “big” boards. well, me sized boards
im not really heroins target demo but they got the shapes
hoping to find a 9.25 egg or 9 pop on sale for my next setup
gotta work with my hooper proportions somehow
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5075 on: October 28, 2022, 12:37:47 AM »

9.0 = 8.25
9.25 = 8.5
9.5 = 8.75
9.75 = 9

Size 13s are more like 12.25" (assuming they're a company that does 31cm some do 33cm)
The problem I've found with scaling up is the weight. For a while I liked 9 with 169 and 56-58mm wheels and felt like I'd scaled up the setup to match my size but as my abilities declined found the weight of the setup really contributed to my pop and control getting worse for general street skating (jumping shit, ledges, Manny's, flatground etc)

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5076 on: October 28, 2022, 01:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote

9.0 = 8.25
9.25 = 8.5
9.5 = 8.75
9.75 = 9

[close]
Size 13s are more like 12.25" (assuming they're a company that does 31cm some do 33cm)
The problem I've found with scaling up is the weight. For a while I liked 9 with 169 and 56-58mm wheels and felt like I'd scaled up the setup to match my size but as my abilities declined found the weight of the setup really contributed to my pop and control getting worse for general street skating (jumping shit, ledges, Manny's, flatground etc)
im seeing 29.5cm for mens 13 but close enough. wont trip on it
to counter weight, i ride 6.1 hollows and sub 54mm wheels
169s will always be bricks unless they are forged titaniums
i have young legs but wouldnt subject myself to 169s
gotta make everything else lighter if the board is that wide

be deliberate with your pop and movements and it should work
remember its not a 7.75 or even an 8.5
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5077 on: October 28, 2022, 08:10:05 AM »

9.0 = 8.25
9.25 = 8.5
9.5 = 8.75
9.75 = 9

This has been my thinking for a little while. Which is why I have a 9.25 in the mail (I’m a size 14 shoe)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5078 on: October 28, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote

9.0 = 8.25
9.25 = 8.5
9.5 = 8.75
9.75 = 9

[close]

This has been my thinking for a little while. Which is why I have a 9.25 in the mail (I’m a size 14 shoe)

I think it’s been well established that this is the correct way to find the correct deck size:

u left the most important dimension out. general rule of thumb is your dick
size multiplied by 1.25

Creachteach

« Reply #5079 on: October 28, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »

I think it’s been well established that this is the correct way to find the correct deck size: :'(

Expand Quote
u left the most important dimension out. general rule of thumb is your dick
size multiplied by 1.25
[close]

I better go get me one of them penny boards then  :'(

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5080 on: October 28, 2022, 02:12:27 PM »
@huggernaut what board/shape is it?

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5081 on: October 28, 2022, 05:05:06 PM »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5082 on: October 29, 2022, 05:41:07 AM »

Krooked Dan Drehobl shape 9.25”
Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Jessup Ultragrip decorated by my girlfriend
Spitfire F4 99A 58mm OG Classics
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

Had this as my cruiser with Ace 55 Classics and 60mm Ricta Clouds for quite a while. Took it off a good while ago and regripped. The 55 classics were too wide for it as it tapers to 8.5” at the back.

Set it up as my main whip now and it’s amazing. Really like the shape. Had a Welcome Nora before this which I couldn’t get along with.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #5083 on: October 29, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »

Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

Had this as my cruiser with Ace 55 Classics and 60mm Ricta Clouds for quite a while. Took it off a good while ago and regripped. The 55 classics were too wide for it as it tapers to 8.5” at the back.

Set it up as my main whip now and it’s amazing. Really like the shape. Had a Welcome Nora before this which I couldn’t get along with.
That grip is amazing! Good to know about the taper too! I’m a big fan of Ace 55 AF1s and i’ve been eyeing that shape for awhile now! How’s the tail on it?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5084 on: October 29, 2022, 10:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

[close]
That grip is amazing! Good to know about the taper too! I’m a big fan of Ace 55 AF1s and i’ve been eyeing that shape for awhile now! How’s the tail on it?

Thanks. I love the grip as well. I’ll definitely need to give my girlfriend the freedom to do my grip jobs in the future.

The tail on the Drehobl shape is short! It’s approximately 6.25”. I guess it’s kinda mellow through as it pops very nicely. I like the shape of the tail also. Feels like a normal shape for a 8.5” deck tail except it’s so short. The board doesn’t feel like an egg at all despite the strong taper. I dunno what I’d compare it to. Feel kinda like an 8.5” and kinda like a 9.25”. It’s a bit unusual but very nice.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5085 on: October 29, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »
Hehehehe

9.88 x 32.25
WB adjustable from 14.5 to 15

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5086 on: October 29, 2022, 09:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote

Do you think I could do that with the current Gonz shape and put the Huffer wheelbase on it?
[close]

Generally speaking, yes it is not too hard and usually works fairly well, but drill the nose out more so than the tail.

Is that the Sweatpants graphic / shape?  * I say sweatpants, as that is the (roughly speaking) 9.8 x 32 with 14.38 wb, but the graphic changes a fair bit, current catalog being "Gathering" graphic.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall22/kr-fl22-d1-08.jpg

Using the six hole baseplate, it is easy to do the bolts up tight, drill out the spare holes, then turn the baseplate around and drill out the inside holes.  That is 3/8 longer, so that and the existing 14.38 will become pretty much the Huffer 14.75 wb, or 14 3/4" if that makes sense.

Perfect, thank you very much sir!

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5087 on: October 30, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »
I wouldn't  mess with the Gonz sweatpants shape.The nose and tail are just about the same length. If you lengthen the wheelbase you'll end up with a tiny nose. That shape is really well thought out. Just an unsolicited opinion.

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5088 on: October 30, 2022, 06:57:09 PM »
I wouldn't  mess with the Gonz sweatpants shape.The nose and tail are just about the same length. If you lengthen the wheelbase you'll end up with a tiny nose. That shape is really well thought out. Just an unsolicited opinion.

Yea, good advice. For a 3/8 inch difference I will probably try it first with the original wheelbase and see!

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #5089 on: October 31, 2022, 08:49:52 AM »
Christmas complete, except for the bearings.
Stoked to have another $lave Warpig set up. I rode one a year or 2 ago and it's such a fun shape.
Indy 169 standard hollow. Real wooden 1/8" riser.
57mm Kader F4 Radial Full. I got these when they came out and just now getting around to setting them up. They are huge. I'm glad I didn't get the 60mm. These are plenty big.
Excited to take this for a spin.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5090 on: November 01, 2022, 07:08:52 PM »
https://www.chicostix.com/products/poets-x-chico-stix

Sheesh.

Shipping Next Week  11/4

POETS X Chico Stix 10" Retro

Only 75 Made

Full Top and Bottom Rugby Pattern Graphics

Size: 10" x 29.5" x 14.5"

MANUFACTURED BY BBS

Chico Stix Skate Co.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5091 on: November 01, 2022, 07:12:04 PM »
^Totally not a Frankie Hill Bulldog which it self is just a Vallely with a nose. Please excuse this flex I think the board is sick NM it's a drilled back Vallely. Even sicker
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5092 on: November 02, 2022, 02:02:21 AM »
Had to pull the trigger on these two:

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5093 on: November 02, 2022, 05:44:55 AM »
Anybody here that skated a Zip Zogger before? I've been intrigued by the shape but couldn't find any available. Saw that the Sam Davidson Zogger finally has a graphic that I like, so I might give that one a try if I can find one in Europe. 
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5094 on: November 02, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
^Totally not a Frankie Hill Bulldog which it self is just a Vallely with a nose. Please excuse this flex I think the board is sick NM it's a drilled back Vallely. Even sicker

+++++

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5095 on: November 04, 2022, 08:08:24 AM »

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #5096 on: November 10, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

Bought myself a present

Frog Chris Milic 10” x 31.625” with 14.25-14.75” wb
Film 6.5 trucks
Spitfire f4 conical fulls 54mm 99a
Bones Big balls
Bronze 1” Allen
Mob
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #5097 on: November 14, 2022, 01:01:44 PM »
Anybody here that skated a Zip Zogger before? I've been intrigued by the shape but couldn't find any available. Saw that the Sam Davidson Zogger finally has a graphic that I like, so I might give that one a try if I can find one in Europe.

I have one - I've done a decent amount of skating on it but ultimately found it wasn't functional enough for me to justify using it over one of my other setups. The short wheelbase, short nose and tail and super fat middle makes it feel like you're riding on a dinner plate. Fun for smaller swoofier transition and curb skating but I found myself turning it into a beer cruiser pretty fast. I'll admit that new graphic made me thirst for a new one a little bit though.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #5098 on: November 14, 2022, 01:44:00 PM »
I love my zogger. don't have it set up now but i run it with 169s and it's a lot of fun.
I can echo as a shorter board its good on small transition and curbs. Nice thing is it's easy to land on if your feet are remotely close to the board you just kinda stick it down and ride it out.

If you have a zogger shaped hole in your life, fill it, but it's not going to be something you pick over any other board most of the time.

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #5099 on: November 15, 2022, 01:23:17 PM »

Illegal egg + big wheel combo to which I am addicted.

Enjoi 9.125
Indy 159 (will possibly swap for 149s, the last bastion of my madness)
60mm F4 99 Conical Full