Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75322 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can you throw on the Krux kingpin on the mids?
[close]

Damn dude, I know there's a bunch of pics but come on...
[close]

Let me expand, did you have to make any modifications?
[close]

Nope. Otherwise I would have noted. Unscrewed Indy inverted pin, screwed in Krux pin.

Thank you for explaining and doing all the heavy Work.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
Added the breakdown from Xen on page 1 of this thread.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can you throw on the Krux kingpin on the mids?
[close]

Damn dude, I know there's a bunch of pics but come on...
[close]

Let me expand, did you have to make any modifications?
[close]

Nope. Otherwise I would have noted. Unscrewed Indy inverted pin, screwed in Krux pin.
[close]

Thank you for explaining and doing all the heavy Work.

Since I have them, I'm going to use the krux pins and  throw in my ACE reg/low bushings to drop the grind clearance down some and lighten them up a bit.

Weird they didn't launch cast hollows along side them, unless manufacturing times are still an issue, and they probably sell more standards..

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2020, 02:58:10 PM »
@Xen probably a mix of both. I’m sure with time they’ll offer hollow and titanium variations. With an eventual move up stages (similar to the last stage change).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote

gnar for the leg work.
seems like a pointless truck when compared to forged titaniums. might be a little more "impressive" vs standard 144s
[close]

Totally agree (but I don't have any standards kicking around).

According to NHS' site, Standard 144 Indys are 387g, the standard mids are coming in at 397g +10g...but I can't see where that is happening...they hollowed out the pin hole more to cram the sleeve in there...but I can't see that being 10g heavier and the inverted pin seems standard weight to me (I don't have one on hand to compare); but maybe it's bulkier than the standard pin area that is pressed into the plate?

More truck....

Diocletian

« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
Thanks as well, Xen. This confirms my original feeling of these trucks being pretty much pointless. Even with the Krux pin the clearance isn't special, it just makes the inverted kingpin look better compared to the ugly stock one that reminds me of Royal's inverted kingpin.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »
My guess is this was done to line up with the manufacturing process more than customer demand.....

It's like dating a girl who looks EXACTLY like your ex.....why bother......

Maybe out of spite.....

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2020, 07:59:05 PM »
the mid version of your ex....ouch
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
like your ex but you can put a nut in the bottom

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2020, 08:55:38 PM »
the mid version of your ex....ouch

HAH! Gnar'd.

Biggest thing to keep in mind besides weight, kingpin, blah, blah is that they are 52mm. To me that's a win, especially with cast.

When they come out with the cast@52mm hollow/TI, or a DLX 'team' varient, that's going to be the sweetspot.

Given the height of the frgd plate (front of it around the pin) and the depth at which they bored the fuck out of the baseplate, I doubt we'll ever see a forged variant with this pin.

A 52mm indy, cast plate, inverted, TI (mid) hanger (or hollow for the peasants...I kid...) is THE going to be their sweet spot for sales.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2020, 10:57:23 PM »
My local shop has been good in ordering in stuff for me, they'd never carry that truck....I bet at least 50% of skaters just buy Raws.....this new design would make a broken kingpin easier no?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »
My local shop has been good in ordering in stuff for me, they'd never carry that truck....I bet at least 50% of skaters just buy Raws.....this new design would make a broken kingpin easier no?

Yeah, you could swap out a kingpin in minutes and you don't need a hammer.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure...if you snap the pin, how do you get the broken part out of the sleeve? I guess you can just bang out the whole thing and then cram it back in...but...until they start selling them separately we're all fucked as you can't put a regular pin in those plates...the normal way, you'd have to just buy the krux pin.

If you're a pin breaker these are def now for you.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure...if you snap the pin, how do you get the broken part out of the sleeve? I guess you can just bang out the whole thing and then cram it back in...but...until they start selling them separately we're all fucked as you can't put a regular pin in those plates...the normal way, you'd have to just buy the krux pin.

I guess I'm missing something. You posted a picture of the bottom of the baseplate with a nut in it, exactly like krux does it. I guess the nut is built in then? My bad.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2020, 03:53:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess I'm missing something. You posted a picture of the bottom of the baseplate with a nut in it, exactly like krux does it. I guess the nut is built in then? My bad.

It's a sleeve, just look at the top of the base plate; it appears that the nut is attached to this sleeve(? I have no way to tell and don't feel like banging it out and fucking up the truck); nut doesn't spin and it doesn't fall out when you dismantle it.

Good luck A) getting it out and B) getting it into another plate, not gonna happen. It's in there tight, doesn't fall out/zero wiggle. Got to admit it's nice to have a baseplate that works with no risk of the nut falling out (no clue how film does it)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.msg3353649#msg3353649

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2020, 05:27:33 PM »
I just realized that riser pads are cock sleeves for your trucks.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #286 on: September 30, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
These Grindking style low profile button heads should give a little more clearance than the combo ones Indy is running. No need for a top washer on these.

https://sk8ratz.com/sure-grip-classic-kingpin-3-8-allen-head-kingpin-sold-individually/

Honestly those combo ones that Indy has are barely lower than a normal nut. I had Royals with the same exact kingpin, and I ended up switching them to some old used Grindking ones from trucks I skated as a kid.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: September 30, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »
These Grindking style low profile button heads should give a little more clearance than the combo ones Indy is running. No need for a top washer on these.

https://sk8ratz.com/sure-grip-classic-kingpin-3-8-allen-head-kingpin-sold-individually/

Honestly those combo ones that Indy has are barely lower than a normal nut. I had Royals with the same exact kingpin, and I ended up switching them to some old used Grindking ones from trucks I skated as a kid.

Nice find! Nabbed a pair to tryout...the Indy pin is useless in terms of grind clearance...thunder seems to be using the same thing...

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #288 on: October 02, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice find! Nabbed a pair to tryout...the Indy pin is useless in terms of grind clearance...thunder seems to be using the same thing...

Sick, glad you got a pair! I have done the threaded insert baseplate conversion on my last two pairs of trucks, Indy stage 8's and some Thunders I'm still on after 3 years almost. I used similar kingpins on both, some NOS Kreper kingpins funny enough. Grind clearance for dayyys, even now that I'm well down to axel.

Side note, did anyone screen grab the Indy Mid's from Reynolds Instagram post he took down an hour or less after posting yesterday? It confirmed that there is no silly Iron Cross on the baseplate. Looks great, just like a Stage 7 truck, but with only 4 holes instead of 6.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2020, 11:42:30 AM »

BGT

Have you ever tried ace lows? The indy mid is def higher than the Indy lows (I think you said you are normally riding Indy lows).
I’m curious about how the mids work out for people, but they seem really similar to stage 10 regular height. I was expecting something more like 50 mm high

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
I’m ready for October 26. Gonna swap the hanger for a regular high and throw in a Krux kingpin.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
I'm pretty confident you can go to a machine shop and buy a bolt thats lower & stronger quality then the stock.
Something to look into!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
I'd be down for a hardware company that did things just a bit better....they could make kingpins like this or krux, hardware like the old randoms, or even a Silverado knock off....

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

BGT

Have you ever tried ace lows? The indy mid is def higher than the Indy lows (I think you said you are normally riding Indy lows).
I’m curious about how the mids work out for people, but they seem really similar to stage 10 regular height. I was expecting something more like 50 mm high

I have not, I’ve only ridden Venture low trucks for like 17 years or so and independent low trucks the last 3-4 years.

I’ve always ridden low trucks. Never a “standard” or highs. The width changed for me through the years. Used to be 5.0 low then it went to 5.25 lows in the ventures. Then jumped straight to 139 low in Indy’s.

Now they no longer make lows and I don’t want to go back to venture. I bought all the Indy lows from skate warehouse that they had in stock. So I like 2-3 left in my stock. I think they are all the Reynolds hollow lows.

Looks and sounds like Indy mids are not really “mids” but just something to replace the discontinued lows. But I definitely want to try them out. Got new bones bushings mediums ready to put them on when I get them.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

BGT

[close]

I have not, I’ve only ridden Venture low trucks for like 17 years or so and independent low trucks the last 3-4 years.

I’ve always ridden low trucks. Never a “standard” or highs. The width changed for me through the years. Used to be 5.0 low then it went to 5.25 lows in the ventures. Then jumped straight to 139 low in Indy’s.

Now they no longer make lows and I don’t want to go back to venture. I bought all the Indy lows from skate warehouse that they had in stock. So I like 2-3 left in my stock. I think they are all the Reynolds hollow lows.

Looks and sounds like Indy mids are not really “mids” but just something to replace the discontinued lows. But I definitely want to try them out. Got new bones bushings mediums ready to put them on when I get them.

Thanks for reply

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are the benefits of a lower truck? Are they more stable or better for certain tricks? Thanks for any information.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are the benefits of a lower truck? Are they more stable or better for certain tricks? Thanks for any information.

Stability and pop (for some) for the most part.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:51:52 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
All my friends know the low rider

The low rider is a little higher
Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer
Low rider knows every street, yeah
Low rider is the one to meet, yeah
Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive too fast

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #299 on: October 03, 2020, 08:30:24 PM »
I really wanna try these. I went to venture and they’re great but I’m 6’1 and finding a board with a short wheelbase is hard and then I feel cramped when I’m on it. And maybe it’s in my head but o didn’t have this issue with Indy. So 144 mids will be got and I should be close to axle on my ventures then