Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216776 times)

SupremePizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3210 on: May 03, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
Here's one for the 9-5ers. (or anyone that skates in the evening.) Do y'all skate before dinner or after?

I'm always antsy when I get off work and wanna go skate right away, but I find a lot of times if I do I have a little less energy and the session suffers. Whereas if I eat an early enough meal, digest and decompress, I'll usually skate better as long as I don't eat something crazy.

Y'all got any evening rituals like that?

7:30-4 guy here. I'm usually starving by that time and work from home 3 days a week. I'll at least have a snack or protein shake if I'm skating after work. Otherwise I tend to eat after work and give myself 30 minutes to an hour to digest. I eat vegetarian, so for other diets it might be different

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #3211 on: May 03, 2023, 11:59:01 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Some interesting insights.

I think my problem is that I eat too little early in the day and then sorta backload my meals at the end. Probably not the most sustainable way to go through the day.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 99
« Reply #3212 on: May 03, 2023, 12:43:09 PM »

I think my problem is that I eat too little early in the day and then sorta backload my meals at the end. Probably not the most sustainable way to go through the day.

I’ll usually do smoothie for lunch and a two egg wrap an hour/half hour before the session. Sometimes bring a protein bar in case I get hungry mid sesh. I work from home so it’s easy to cook before between tasks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3213 on: May 03, 2023, 01:08:56 PM »
I usually skate AM before breakfast but with coffee. Generally can skate for <3hrs that way without having some kind of breakfast or snack. I find skating really doesn't require much in the way of specific fueling if its not long because you have so many gaps between physical exertion. I also caveat that with the fact that I do another sport that is somewhat aerobic and I raced bikes for a decade so I'm probably still riding off that general fitness. My ankles/feet often get sore before I get tired.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3214 on: May 03, 2023, 01:14:13 PM »

I'm pretty similar, I work 8-430 and try to snag a sesh for an hour or two on the way home. I rarely eat an actual breakfast and eat lunch early, with some light snacks between lunch and close. Sometimes I'll nab some quick protein or carbs (depending on what my body feels like I'm missing) to curb any hunger and not bloat me, but I'm usually alright until dinner at ~7.

Definitely ready for a shower and an actual meal when I got done though!
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #3215 on: May 03, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
i work 7-5, physical labour. i need a couple hours rest before i can get back on the board, if i can get on the board at all. eat around 6 and if i go out to skate its allways after 7:30

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3216 on: May 03, 2023, 06:41:23 PM »
7am sessions - coffee, sandwich / protein bar and banana, iced black coffee throughout the session
5pm sessions - protein bar / banana around 4pm, dinner around 8
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3217 on: May 03, 2023, 07:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
i was going thru a pile of skated decks and pulled both a DOA flat as fuck and and orchard Robbie Gangemi.

Gangemi is 8.5/14WB, short and pretty flat. I skated it briefly and wasn't super stoked on it. It felt non-responsive and heavy.

DOA is 8.5/14.25WB and has more kicks than the Gangemi. Still, this was a board that felt sluggish as well. Felt heavy.

They're both in good shape and I wanna see if they'll be my bread and buttah for getting the ever elusive tre flip compared with my current fave shape, Real Full SE, 8.5/14.38WB, which is far steeper, feels lighter, and pops nice and high.

All that said, aside from getting into truck madness- i'm not dicking around with trucks- what do I gotta do to adjust to these flatter, short WB shapes?
[close]

Try popping harder with feet closer to the bolts.

I agree

Or, I guess I’d be less specific, and say try adjusting your foot position, stance.
When I change trucks, often, I frequently get better results, after awhile, by adjusting my popping foot, up and down the nose or tail.
I skate my best, on venture lo’s and mellow boards, but that doesn’t stop me from trying other stuff. For me, ventures work better with my foot on the tip of the tail, especially, or much closer to the tip of the nose. Blah blah. I think I’ve made myself unclear

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3218 on: May 03, 2023, 09:24:34 PM »
Here's one for the 9-5ers. (or anyone that skates in the evening.) Do y'all skate before dinner or after?

I'm always antsy when I get off work and wanna go skate right away, but I find a lot of times if I do I have a little less energy and the session suffers. Whereas if I eat an early enough meal, digest and decompress, I'll usually skate better as long as I don't eat something crazy.

Before dinner preferably. I don’t really get hungry or a lack of energy so easily. I try to go straight from work usually as it’s harder for me to get going after coming home especially if I’ve had a proper dinner.

I usually do 2 hours sessions, sometimes 3. The main reason I like to go straight from work before dinner is that I have trouble going to bed early enough if I exercise late. Sometimes I might skip dinner completely because sometimes after a heavy skate session I don’t feel like cooking and can be ok with something lighter that still has a decent amount of protein in it. Alpro soy yoghurts with some granola were my go to a few years back when I skated much much more and was in much better shape overall.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3219 on: May 03, 2023, 10:22:32 PM »
Sometimes the hardest part of skating is getting there, so I’d rather go first…..if I go home, shit will come up and get me sidetracked….

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #3220 on: May 04, 2023, 04:31:55 PM »
if my wheels cone inwards, does it mean that my trucks are bent? when i took the trucks off the board and the wheels off the trucks i couldn’t really tell. the wheels started coning almost immediately after i set them up, it was easily noticeable after a week, my last set of wheels before did that too but i don’t know if they coned from the start or later on because i didn’t pay attention to that then. i’m skating a warped board right now too fwiw, the nose is higher on one side and the tail is higher on the opposite side, like someone put it in the press crooked.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3221 on: May 04, 2023, 05:09:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i was going thru a pile of skated decks and pulled both a DOA flat as fuck and and orchard Robbie Gangemi.

Gangemi is 8.5/14WB, short and pretty flat. I skated it briefly and wasn't super stoked on it. It felt non-responsive and heavy.

DOA is 8.5/14.25WB and has more kicks than the Gangemi. Still, this was a board that felt sluggish as well. Felt heavy.

They're both in good shape and I wanna see if they'll be my bread and buttah for getting the ever elusive tre flip compared with my current fave shape, Real Full SE, 8.5/14.38WB, which is far steeper, feels lighter, and pops nice and high.

All that said, aside from getting into truck madness- i'm not dicking around with trucks- what do I gotta do to adjust to these flatter, short WB shapes?
[close]

[close]

I agree

Or, I guess I’d be less specific, and say try adjusting your foot position, stance.
When I change trucks, often, I frequently get better results, after awhile, by adjusting my popping foot, up and down the nose or tail.
I skate my best, on venture lo’s and mellow boards, but that doesn’t stop me from trying other stuff. For me, ventures work better with my foot on the tip of the tail, especially, or much closer to the tip of the nose. Blah blah. I think I’ve made myself unclear

Ya i totally switched it up and am figuring it out. DOA faf 8.5, short WB. Ace 44 brand new, 54mm bones wheels. Its very dofferent than my loose and snappy other set up but im having a lotta fun with it and able to skate differently. Kinda rad and yes, popping foot adjustment has been critical. But im doing different shit than usual that requires a different back foot position, sooooo idk

@pizzafliptofakie

Im def not a 9-5 cat lately, but i usually dont skate after dinner. It would be like jogging after dinner or swimming. I Just get that banana, powah food, and water. Can you drink coffee in the evening? It helps me stave off hunger while skating.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3222 on: May 04, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »
People who have sold trucks online, what’s the most efficient way to ship them?  Saw in another thread someone suggested a flat rate envelope, but not sure how I’d feel if I was buying trucks and got that in the mail.  And the thread was 2 year old.

I’ve got a pair of maglight ATGs and a pair of Ace low 44s, both just a couple sessions deep, but I can’t see either of those as a regular truck for me.  Either I’m gonna sell them or put the maglight hangers on the ace low baseplates for fun, but it seems unethical to sell them after trying that

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3223 on: May 04, 2023, 11:46:03 PM »
if my wheels cone inwards, does it mean that my trucks are bent? when i took the trucks off the board and the wheels off the trucks i couldn’t really tell. the wheels started coning almost immediately after i set them up, it was easily noticeable after a week, my last set of wheels before did that too but i don’t know if they coned from the start or later on because i didn’t pay attention to that then. i’m skating a warped board right now too fwiw, the nose is higher on one side and the tail is higher on the opposite side, like someone put it in the press crooked.

Almost always yes.

Skating some really rough surfaces and grinding on an angle / cross locked fifty grinds on rough curbs can wear the wheel, usually back heel for backside, or back toe for frontside a whole lot, which I was amazed when I saw it and the guy told me why his wheels wear down like that, but more often than not if there is a lot more fresh wear on the inside of any wheel, it is because the axles are bending upwards.

Flip the wheels over where they are on the board and see how much that changes in a week or so.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #3224 on: May 05, 2023, 03:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost always yes.

Skating some really rough surfaces and grinding on an angle / cross locked fifty grinds on rough curbs can wear the wheel, usually back heel for backside, or back toe for frontside a whole lot, which I was amazed when I saw it and the guy told me why his wheels wear down like that, but more often than not if there is a lot more fresh wear on the inside of any wheel, it is because the axles are bending upwards.

Flip the wheels over where they are on the board and see how much that changes in a week or so.

i keep doing that every week, and they flatten out then cone on the other side. do i have to get new trucks or is it possible to straighten them out without breaking the trucks? they have a lot of life left so i would prefer to keep skating them as long as possible.

edit: i took the hangers off (idk why i didn't think of that before) and the front truck isn't bad, but the back truck is definitely bent.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:11:17 AM by roba »

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #3225 on: May 05, 2023, 05:10:39 AM »
Either empty stomach or immediately after eating before digestion sets in.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3226 on: May 05, 2023, 05:25:25 AM »
How do slim accels fit?
I have 10.5 n Nike sb.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #3227 on: May 05, 2023, 06:52:05 AM »
People who have sold trucks online, what’s the most efficient way to ship them?  Saw in another thread someone suggested a flat rate envelope, but not sure how I’d feel if I was buying trucks and got that in the mail.  And the thread was 2 year old.

I’ve got a pair of maglight ATGs and a pair of Ace low 44s, both just a couple sessions deep, but I can’t see either of those as a regular truck for me.  Either I’m gonna sell them or put the maglight hangers on the ace low baseplates for fun, but it seems unethical to sell them after trying that

in a box, silly

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3228 on: May 05, 2023, 06:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly

each truck wrapped in plastic and then both trucks rubber banded together

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #3229 on: May 05, 2023, 07:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

I meant more along the lines of what do you use for shipping, flat rate, standard usps, ups, PayPal shipping, etc

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #3230 on: May 05, 2023, 07:22:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree

[close]

Ya i totally switched it up and am figuring it out. DOA faf 8.5, short WB. Ace 44 brand new, 54mm bones wheels. Its very dofferent than my loose and snappy other set up but im having a lotta fun with it and able to skate differently. Kinda rad and yes, popping foot adjustment has been critical. But im doing different shit than usual that requires a different back foot position, sooooo idk

@pizzafliptofakie

Im def not a 9-5 cat lately, but i usually dont skate after dinner. It would be like jogging after dinner or swimming. I Just get that banana, powah food, and water. Can you drink coffee in the evening? It helps me stave off hunger while skating.

eh, not really. I have sleep problems as is so I try to cut my caffeine off by mid afternoon if I can help it.

Don't wanna turn this into a diet thread/make it about me but I made myself actually eat breakfast yesterday which allowed me to space out meals easier which allowed me to feel more energized when I got off work. Been trying to make some healthier decisions in general so it's nice to hear other people's routines of a similar lifestyle  ;D

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3231 on: May 05, 2023, 07:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

I meant more along the lines of what do you use for shipping, flat rate, standard usps, ups, PayPal shipping, etc

USPS flatrate box (medium i think?) should fit trucks fine bagged & banded. rates can vary depending on where you are and where you are shipping to as far as UPS vs USPS etc

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3232 on: May 05, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

[close]

USPS flatrate box (medium i think?) should fit trucks fine bagged & banded. rates can vary depending on where you are and where you are shipping to as far as UPS vs USPS etc

I ship trucks in a padded envelope, each wrapped in newspaper so they don’t bang together. www.pirateship.com is the cheapest way I’ve found for shipping heavy-ish items in the USA. Provided you have a scale and access to a printer.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3233 on: May 05, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I ship trucks in a padded envelope, each wrapped in newspaper so they don’t bang together. www.pirateship.com is the cheapest way I’ve found for shipping heavy-ish items in the USA. Provided you have a scale and access to a printer.

+1 for pirate ship, super good service

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #3234 on: May 05, 2023, 04:38:26 PM »

I work an 8-5 office job so this one hits close to home for me! On days that I know I want to skate after work, I'll try to eat a bigger lunch and/or get a good snack in closer to the end of the workday. For snacks I try to do fruit or something heavier on the protein, like nuts or whatever. If I don't do that, I'll usually have less energy to skate. I also never eat a full meal before I go skate, I always wait to eat until after the sesh. It feels more rewarding to have dinner that way. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3235 on: May 05, 2023, 05:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost always yes.

[close]

i keep doing that every week, and they flatten out then cone on the other side. do i have to get new trucks or is it possible to straighten them out without breaking the trucks? they have a lot of life left so i would prefer to keep skating them as long as possible.

edit: i took the hangers off (idk why i didn't think of that before) and the front truck isn't bad, but the back truck is definitely bent.

I think the most common thing is to put the axle in a vice while trucks still attached to the board, wheel off, then use force to push the deck which can straighten out the axle, from what others have said.

Previously I have taken the hanger off and used a hammer on it in a well placed location to hammer it back to straight - keeping the nut on and hitting it on the end of the hanger closest to the bent axle end, which has worked for me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3236 on: May 05, 2023, 05:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah envelope is a very valid option, it's even a crapshoot which i get when i order online, box v bag. but personally i worry too much, so i go box route with some bubble wrap around them. it's overkill, but i can sleep at night

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #3237 on: May 05, 2023, 07:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah envelope is a very valid option, it's even a crapshoot which i get when i order online, box v bag. but personally i worry too much, so i go box route with some bubble wrap around them. it's overkill, but i can sleep at night
When I got a replacement set of trucks from Ace a couple years ago they were wrapped (can't remember if it was just plastic or bubble wrap), and in a padded manila envelope. That's probably the best/cheapest way to go.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #3238 on: May 05, 2023, 09:44:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in a box, silly
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
When I got a replacement set of trucks from Ace a couple years ago they were wrapped (can't remember if it was just plastic or bubble wrap), and in a padded manila envelope. That's probably the best/cheapest way to go.

I might put them up in the classifieds boards in a couple weeks.  Thanks all

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #3239 on: May 06, 2023, 02:03:57 AM »
I really dislike the changes they made to the nike sb blazer gt low... it feels less solid/mushier, the foxing is too high and altho they last a bit longer the look is just weird on a smaller foot. Hjalte and bobby worrest seem to make it look good, but i don't like it on myself.

I've been hunting down the old model and occasionally stumble across some on sale so I've been stockpiling. Does anyone else do this? like find a model they really enjoyed and hunt down the remaining pairs to skate, but then also save these for like special occasions/ trips/ filming or what have you?

I did the same for the adidas skate adv, what a shoe that was! I used to sell my box of random silas advs or whatever and use the cash to buy skate advs after they were discontinued.

Also if anyone stumbles across size 8 us/ eu 41 old blazer lows for original retail or less in European online stores feel free to send me a link!