Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216513 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3690 on: July 27, 2023, 12:19:43 PM »
anyone know the best way to grip a modern popsicle like this? Not the middle cut, but the with the top cut to let the color show.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3691 on: July 27, 2023, 01:35:07 PM »
I would lay the board on the grip with paper side up, trace the deck as best you can. Then, simply measure how much in you want the grip to sit, make a few reference marks, and draw a new outline that follows the old:

Ray C. Usery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3692 on: July 27, 2023, 06:31:43 PM »
Pantograph or CNC or laser or die cutter

lulz

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3693 on: July 27, 2023, 09:59:44 PM »
anyone know the best way to grip a modern popsicle like this? Not the middle cut, but the with the top cut to let the color show.

Pantograph or CNC or laser or die cutter

Come on, some the prolitariate can do!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:28:43 PM by lulz »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #3694 on: July 27, 2023, 10:17:57 PM »

2 easiest ways is get some fine line tape the size that you want left open, tape around the edge or graphic, then get a piece of masking paper get it to conform to the concave then puch you mounting bolt holes for a witness line(I’d mask over that area on the paper first so it doesn’t rip easily), then do a pencil rubing of the inside of the tape line, transfer paper to your grip(if it’s just an outline you can do it on the backing side of the grip) with a pen/pencil, cut it out and stick it.
Or the easiest way is get some clear contact paper, stick it to the board, punch you mounting holes for lining it up later, cut it like you would normally grip your board then just figure out how much wood you want showing, set that distance with a machinists square or divider compass and trace the outline of the board, peel contact paper off, stick to the grip side of your grip, trace/cut and it’s done.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3695 on: July 28, 2023, 04:06:36 AM »

It depends on the angle in which you hold the cutter knife. If you lay your knife really flat on top of the grip, your cuts will go a bit deeper and show more of that top ply.

It's hard to explain for me, because English isn't my first language but I hope that makes sense.
IG: @flowterspace

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3696 on: July 28, 2023, 08:30:49 AM »

If I was doing this, I'd double over some strips of masking tape to stick the grip to the deck with the backing still on, then scratch the shape into the grip with something metal like you do when gripping normally. Take it back off, then using a pair of scissors you're not fond of, follow the scratched in line but cutting a ¼" (or whatever you want) inside the scratched in silhouette.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3697 on: July 29, 2023, 04:34:05 AM »
Does anybody other than australians call spitfires "spitties"?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 07:23:36 PM by Prince »
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

breezy_again

• Rep: 56
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #3698 on: July 29, 2023, 05:15:05 AM »
Does anybody other than australians called spitfires "spitties"?
nope

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -314
« Reply #3699 on: July 29, 2023, 08:17:22 AM »
Does anybody other than australians called spitfires "spitties"?

Only in Tasmania

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3700 on: August 01, 2023, 05:13:48 AM »
are 8.125 decks usually shorter than 8.0 decks?

i had a quasi 8.0 a few months ago, loved it. honestly probably my favorite board i've ever had. ordered two quasi 8.125's (dims weren't listed) thinking i was sizing up but it'd still be the same shape/length just a lil bit wider....wrong. tail is like an inch shorter than an 8.0

fuck my life   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 07:07:46 AM by Tom Pearl »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3701 on: August 01, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »

i had a quasi 8.0 a few months ago, loved it. honestly probably my favorite board i've ever had. ordered two quasi 8.125's thinking i was sizing up but it'd still be the same shape/length but just a lil bit wider....wrong. tail is like an inch shorter than an 8.0

fuck my life

Quasi Boards manufactured by PS Stix dimensions are like this:

8" has 14.25" WB, 32.375" overall
8.125" has a 14.125" WB , 31.75" overall

so yes the 8.125" boards are slightly shorter.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3702 on: August 01, 2023, 07:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote

i had a quasi 8.0 a few months ago, loved it. honestly probably my favorite board i've ever had. ordered two quasi 8.125's thinking i was sizing up but it'd still be the same shape/length but just a lil bit wider....wrong. tail is like an inch shorter than an 8.0

fuck my life
[close]

Quasi Boards manufactured by PS Stix dimensions are like this:

8" has 14.25" WB, 32.375" overall
8.125" has a 14.125" WB , 31.75" overall

so yes the 8.125" boards are slightly shorter.

And measured flat across, subtract 0.5" from the listed length
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3703 on: August 01, 2023, 09:23:45 AM »

guide block and a blade

231st Street

• Rep: -212
« Reply #3704 on: August 01, 2023, 06:02:17 PM »
What are the ultimate baggy pants measurements that are as baggy as one can go without looking goofy? Not such a serious question.  For those playing, please specify if you are talking khakis or jeans.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 118
« Reply #3705 on: August 01, 2023, 07:40:06 PM »
What are the ultimate baggy pants measurements that are as baggy as one can go without looking goofy? Not such a serious question.  For those playing, please specify if you are talking khakis or jeans.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108701.0
Enjoy your life.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #3706 on: August 02, 2023, 03:46:49 AM »

There isn’t any. It’s almost completely subjective.
I think Japanese hakama look fucking cool.
Not great for skating, but even that has changed for me over the years. I never could roll with JNCO big, but what I like varies in the cut, length the fabric, and the skater.

I think Big Boys look great on a lot of people, if they are wearing their waist.
After not being able to find much baggy stuff through the 98-2018, I’m really enjoying the resurgence.

Maybe an unpopular opinion
Tastefully cut baggy stuff looks way better on older guys than tight/fitted stuff.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 03:56:39 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

231st Street

• Rep: -212
« Reply #3707 on: August 02, 2023, 09:05:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not great for skating, but even that has changed for me over the years. I never could roll with JNCO big, but what I like varies in the cut, length the fabric, and the skater.

I think Big Boys look great on a lot of people, if they are wearing their waist.
After not being able to find much baggy stuff through the 98-2018, I’m really enjoying the resurgence.

Tastefully cut baggy stuff looks way better on older guys than tight/fitted stuff.

I'd gnar if I knew how.  Awesome picture.  Ive been going bigger in my khakis in the inseam lately.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3708 on: August 02, 2023, 10:20:37 AM »
There were a style of baggy golfing trouser called Plus Fours, my grandfather decided to go one better and have a tailor make him some Plus Eights. Unfortunatley it was WWII, there was rationing in the UK and somebody snitched on him, he got a letter from the Goverment ordering him to hand in the trousers or have them made into skirts for his Wife.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #3709 on: August 02, 2023, 03:58:56 PM »
Does anyone have the same soul crushing, mind bending, fucked up dreams on the regular ( that you can remember for more than the first 10-20 seconds after waking up?)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3710 on: August 03, 2023, 10:52:36 AM »
Okay pals, don't laugh.
I am in shoe madness hell right now.
Except for Nike I tried several shoes from various companies and can't seem to find a tolerable model to skate in. So far, Lakai Atlantic's are my favorite but it isn't always easy to get them here in Germany.

How are Fallen shoes nowadays?
I remember them being good. But that was like 2008.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3711 on: August 03, 2023, 12:22:01 PM »
Did y'all see the flooding in Beijing? Holly shit!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3712 on: August 03, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
Okay pals, don't laugh.
Except for Nike I tried several shoes from various companies and can't seem to find a tolerable model to skate in. So far, Lakai Atlantic's are my favorite but it isn't always easy to get them here in Germany.

I saw a pair of hot wax joints at the park on the weekend……look really durable and on the verge of being on trend…

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3713 on: August 03, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd gnar if I knew how.  Awesome picture.  Ive been going bigger in my khakis in the inseam lately.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3714 on: August 04, 2023, 12:28:02 AM »
Okay pals, don't laugh.

Fallens are crap. What kind of shoes you prefer? NB# are the best for me. If you want something like vulc you could try 440. Ifnyoy want straight up vulc go for 272. If you want a thin cupsole but still supportive 508 are great and if you want to be 100% protected go for 808 or 1010 if you want the light version of a tank.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3715 on: August 04, 2023, 12:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Okay pals, don't laugh.

[close]
Fallens are crap. What kind of shoes you prefer? NB# are the best for me. If you want something like vulc you could try 440. Ifnyoy want straight up vulc go for 272. If you want a thin cupsole but still supportive 508 are great and if you want to be 100% protected go for 808 or 1010 if you want the light version of a tank.

I tried 440 in 7,5 and 8. Both sizes didn't fit as I would have liked. 7,5 too snug and 8 way to big. I usually wear a 7,5 in Lakai, Vans and Reebok. Sole Tech shoes aren't made for my feet anymore. They were nice back then but nowadays I never find a model which fits good. Will check the 272 and 508 out. I am not sure about the 1010. Toe area looks mad long and I can see my heel slip in them.
But thanks man.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3716 on: August 04, 2023, 12:45:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Okay pals, don't laugh.

[close]
[close]

I tried 440 in 7,5 and 8. Both sizes didn't fit as I would have liked. 7,5 too snug and 8 way to big. I usually wear a 7,5 in Lakai, Vans and Reebok. Sole Tech shoes aren't made for my feet anymore. They were nice back then but nowadays I never find a model which fits good. Will check the 272 and 508 out. I am not sure about the 1010. Toe area looks mad long and I can see my heel slip in them.
But thanks man.
Toe area is not thar long, I'd say is average. Ofc try them if you can, on those I went TTS and they work good. If you're ever in Prague I can hook you up with some 808 thar are still ok so you can try them
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3717 on: August 04, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »
alright, it's gettin time to buy some new trucks. I've never been one for truck madness, but I'm starting to want to try something else out there. I'm going to omit what brand and version I have ridden for the past 4 years in an effort to be "transparent".

I am an averagely-ok skateboarder who tries to skate a bit of everything, but more or less skates slappies, ledges, wallies, and the occasional manual. My transition skills are actually terrible, but I am actively working on improving them. Not a big gap/stair/impact skater. I'd say I skate my trucks somewhere between tight and loose, probably more towards loose. Turning fast is fun but I also do appreciate stability. I skate an 8.5 with big-ish (56-58mm conical full) wheels, so I generally like my trucks to be lighter to offset the weight of everything else.

What kind of trucks match my riding style? I feel like thats enough info for the truck-heads to asses the situation.
(Cool Trick GIF)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3718 on: August 04, 2023, 12:01:37 PM »
alright, it's gettin time to buy some new trucks. I've never been one for truck madness, but I'm starting to want to try something else out there. I'm going to omit what brand and version I have ridden for the past 4 years in an effort to be "transparent".

I am an averagely-ok skateboarder who tries to skate a bit of everything, but more or less skates slappies, ledges, wallies, and the occasional manual. My transition skills are actually terrible, but I am actively working on improving them. Not a big gap/stair/impact skater. I'd say I skate my trucks somewhere between tight and loose, probably more towards loose. Turning fast is fun but I also do appreciate stability. I skate an 8.5 with big-ish (56-58mm conical full) wheels, so I generally like my trucks to be lighter to offset the weight of everything else.

What kind of trucks match my riding style? I feel like thats enough info for the truck-heads to asses the situation.
I'd recommend V-Lights 5.8
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3719 on: August 04, 2023, 01:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'd recommend V-Lights 5.8
id say 6.1 v-hollows
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo