Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
484 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.8%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 680

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 163620 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Open Source skate for custom made shapes. pretty interesting.

That was an interesting watch.

I think the main thing here is people outside of the normal size, shape, height, length of limbs often don't fit what might be considered a normal skateboard, which is why there are so many more diverse sizes in boards coming out in recent years, especially in the shorter overall board length, with comparable wheelbases, such as the DLX Tru Fit sized boards.

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2023

At least that way a lot more people should be able to get a shorter board that would be a lot easier for them to skate.

As to Open Source Skateboards, the guy sure does a lot of interesting things, as per the instagram account I see I already follow, but it is worth a look for anyone else too.

https://www.instagram.com/opensourceboards/

Most recent post:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

powerhazard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Any experiences with Point Distribution in here? Their website is a mess.

I'm looking for a place that does small runs (think 10-20 decks) for a project.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
Madness question again:

Venture high trucks (had hollows and will get lights now) and had the best pop with pizza and AWS 8.25. they all have long tails and I think I’m just not a short tail guy.
Still those decks are both pretty long with 32+ and I’d like to try a shorter deck.

What brand has 14“wb, longer tail, 31.8 and under decks?

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
Madness question again:

Venture high trucks (had hollows and will get lights now) and had the best pop with pizza and AWS 8.25. they all have long tails and I think I’m just not a short tail guy.
Still those decks are both pretty long with 32+ and I’d like to try a shorter deck.

Primitive has 8.25 with 14 wb and 31.875 length which is gonna be perfect for you - Prod is rocking this combo with the ventures ;)
Girl/chocolate has 3 shapes 8.25 with 14 wb and around 31.8 https://crailtap.com/shapes The tails are on the steeper side and some people here have said they didnt like this combo, I have tried a friends board with this longer tail shape G027 but it was with thunder 147 which is lower to the ground and it was good, but if it was with higher trucks i bet i wouldnt touch it.
April skateboards also have 8.25 with 14 wb but they are listed with 31,92 length.

Edit:
Oh, i forgot about the Real true fit shapes that have been released recently https://www.realskateboards.com - 8.25 is 31.5 long and has 13.88 wb which combined with the ventures is gonna hell of a setup, if it s not too short for your legs ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:41:15 AM by El Freegano »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

No personal experience, but in the main search for Point Distribution there are two pages from Shoes and Gear that have some relevant links and info.

Small run thread from a while back might be of interest:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=102571.0

Expand Quote
I don't know how many boards you want but Point Distribution has a 25 deck minimum. Good quality for sure. I've exclusively been skating their decks since 2012. Also, no resale license or documents needed.
[close]

Can vouch for this, I did a run through them back in 2012 and were some of the best boards we ever got, they even let us use our custom 8.8" shape which I think they actually continued on using as it was solid shape for a steep concave Popsicle

Mellow decks thread:

Expand Quote
https://pointdistribution.com/custom_skateboard/

their mellow shape is the flattest shit I've skated since highschool. I fucking hated it. but some people like flat boards
[close]

Point Distribution Mellow = approximate 19.25°nose and 18.5°tail with a medium center concave.

Powell K20 decks have mellower kicks  = 18°nose and 18°tail

Point wheels - not quite decks, but a comment anyway:

Point wheels aren't that bad; I've had a few sets. Durability-wise they could be better, I've had sets that I've flatspotted pretty quickly and they don't last as long as a lot of other wheels.
Feeling-wise I'd say they're pretty good. They give a real good slide and they have just the right amount of grip.
Point's warehouse is in the same city I live in, and their stuff is obviously pretty easily accessible here, so I find myself riding Point product quite often. For the price it's really not that bad at all.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Madness question again:

[close]
Primitive has 8.25 with 14 wb and 31.875 length which is gonna be perfect for you - Prod is rocking this combo with the ventures ;)
Girl/chocolate has 3 shapes 8.25 with 14 wb and around 31.8 https://crailtap.com/shapes The tails are on the steeper side and some people here have said they didnt like this combo, I have tried a friends board with this longer tail shape G027 but it was with thunder 147 which is lower to the ground and it was good, but if it was with higher trucks i bet i wouldnt touch it.
April skateboards also have 8.25 with 14 wb but they are listed with 31,92 length.

Edit:
Oh, i forgot about the Real true fit shapes that have been released recently https://www.realskateboards.com - 8.25 is 31.5 long and has 13.88 wb which combined with the ventures is gonna hell of a setup, if it s not too short for your legs ;)

I was thinking Girl / Chocolate would have had something like that but forgot to look them up.

People have said they are good boards, even though I haven't really seen many or skated any for a while now.

SlapMcKracken

Thanks! Yeah, chocolate looks pretty good for this. Primitive also.

Not sure if 31.5 is too short for my legs. I’m 6‘1, but I think I had such short decks before with no isses. Not sure if I even like short decks; but I want to give it a try again.

powerhazard

• Rep: 7
Expand Quote

[close]

No personal experience, but in the main search for Point Distribution there are two pages from Shoes and Gear that have some relevant links and info.

Small run thread from a while back might be of interest:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=102571.0

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't know how many boards you want but Point Distribution has a 25 deck minimum. Good quality for sure. I've exclusively been skating their decks since 2012. Also, no resale license or documents needed.
[close]

Can vouch for this, I did a run through them back in 2012 and were some of the best boards we ever got, they even let us use our custom 8.8" shape which I think they actually continued on using as it was solid shape for a steep concave Popsicle
[close]

Mellow decks thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://pointdistribution.com/custom_skateboard/

their mellow shape is the flattest shit I've skated since highschool. I fucking hated it. but some people like flat boards
[close]

Point Distribution Mellow = approximate 19.25°nose and 18.5°tail with a medium center concave.

Powell K20 decks have mellower kicks  = 18°nose and 18°tail
[close]

Point wheels - not quite decks, but a comment anyway:

Expand Quote
Point wheels aren't that bad; I've had a few sets. Durability-wise they could be better, I've had sets that I've flatspotted pretty quickly and they don't last as long as a lot of other wheels.
Feeling-wise I'd say they're pretty good. They give a real good slide and they have just the right amount of grip.
Point's warehouse is in the same city I live in, and their stuff is obviously pretty easily accessible here, so I find myself riding Point product quite often. For the price it's really not that bad at all.
[close]

Thanks for your feedback, links and the references!
Looks like they do smaller runs than 25 now, so looking into it a bit more.

SlapMcKracken

AWS or FA ; which one has steeper kicks?

What are GO27 kicks like? Mellow? Comparable to something?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
AWS or FA ; which one has steeper kicks?

What are GO27 kicks like? Mellow? Comparable to something?

I feel like FA / Hockey boards have had the steepest kicks I have seen and felt in a long time.

There are some other boards out there with even steeper, or higher angle when measured, but we are not talking about them right now.

If anyone has that measuring app on their phone, most boards come in around 20 to 22 degrees, which I would call about average.

Steeper boards are up to 25 degrees or more, whereas mellow boards tend to be around the 17 to 18 degrees, then even less when flattened.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Expand Quote
Madness question again:

[close]

Edit:

You were exactly right.
I haven’t had a primitive, but I had an April 8.125x14wb, just less than 32”, long kicks.
I learned that I don’t like long noses, or tails. I would need to just not be a moron, and adjust where I put my popping foot (further down in the pocket, not on the tip). I like the tip. The tip is all I’ve ever known.

IpathCats

Does anyone know if the shit going on at dwindle right now will affect the DSM woodshop?

Are palace boards still going to be made there with the resin 7 construction?

Are there any other brands that have the 8.38 palace shape with the 14.8 w/e wheelbase?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
Does anyone know if the shit going on at dwindle right now will affect the DSM woodshop?

Are there any other brands that have the 8.38 palace shape with the 14.8 w/e wheelbase?

Good ?s

You like that shape? Seemed a wild one. Couldn’t tell if it was a taking the piss situation with the technical descriptions/dimensions or what.
I do like short nose and tail so idk

Haven’t had a palace in beyond forever.

IpathCats

Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

You like that shape? Seemed a wild one. Couldn’t tell if it was a taking the piss situation with the technical descriptions/dimensions or what.

Nah, I'm being serious.

I haven't skated it yet, but I'm stoked to. 8.38 is my preferred width, and I'm 6' 4" so I like a long WB. Haven't skated a resin deck since I was a kid. But I remember loving almosts when I was in highschool, especially how stiff they were and how they retained their stiffness. Probably jumping the gun a bit, but I feel like I'm gonna love this palace after gripping it and standing on it. Kicks look slightly steeper than normal which I like too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

[close]

Nah, I'm being serious.

I haven't skated it yet, but I'm stoked to. 8.38 is my preferred width, and I'm 6' 4" so I like a long WB. Haven't skated a resin deck since I was a kid. But I remember loving almosts when I was in highschool, especially how stiff they were and how they retained their stiffness. Probably jumping the gun a bit, but I feel like I'm gonna love this palace after gripping it and standing on it. Kicks look slightly steeper than normal which I like too.

Nah, I meant that I couldn’t tell if it was palace being goofy with their descriptions, or if they truly had an outlier.
I take your interest at face value.
It’d be a fun board to try for certain. I haven’t skated anything like it. The closest scenario, from a wb and length standpoint, would maybe be the boards of the 80s, but the tail nose ratio is obviously way different.

I’m very short, so it most likely wouldn’t work well for me. Oddly the Griffin shape worked great for me, with 149 thunders, long wb, long length (but not above 32). That setup kinda freaked me out a little because it went against several things I thought I knew worked for me: shorter length, shorter wb, narrow, it’s the opposite of all of that.
The rabbit hole that experience was leading me towards, I just decided I couldn’t handle: tail length. The tail on his shape is the same as the 7.75 I’ve always liked.

At this point…I mean I’m old, so old, and bad. This much thought for a couple of shit switch flips isn’t worth it.

I need to get a gif or signature or some shit that shows my lack of ability, so people can reference that after I espouse my opinions. I don’t have what you want.

IpathCats

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

[close]

Nah, I'm being serious.

[close]

Nah, I meant that I couldn’t tell if it was palace being goofy with their descriptions, or if they truly had an outlier.
It’d be a fun board to try for certain. I haven’t skated anything like it. The closest scenario, from a wb and length standpoint, would maybe be the boards of the 80s, but the tail nose ratio is obviously way different.

I’m very short, so it most likely wouldn’t work well for me. Oddly the Griffin shape worked great for me, with 149 thunders, long wb, long length (but not above 32). That setup kinda freaked me out a little because it went against several things I thought I knew worked for me: shorter length, shorter wb, narrow, it’s the opposite of all of that.
The rabbit hole that experience was leading me towards, I just decided I couldn’t handle: tail length. The tail on his shape is the same as the 7.75 I’ve always liked.

At this point…I mean I’m old, so old, and bad. This much thought for a couple of shit switch flips isn’t worth it.

I need to get a gif or signature or some shit that shows my lack of ability, so people can reference that after I espouse my opinions. I don’t have what you want.

Lol I gotchu.

Yea it's def over 14.5 WB. They might measure from the middle of the holes though because I wasn't getting quite 14.8 w/e when I measured to the inside of each hole

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

[close]

Nah, I'm being serious.

[close]

[close]

Lol I gotchu.

Yea it's def over 14.5 WB. They might measure from the middle of the holes though because I wasn't getting quite 14.8 w/e when I measured to the inside of each hole

Correct way is middle to middle.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
Trying out a toy machine 8.25 from a clearance sale. Anyone know what manufacture made the shape? There is a stamp reading "7 C" on the top. Thanks in Advance.

I think these days the TM pro boards are PS and the team boards are a Chinese wood shop that we don’t seem to know the name of.

WelcomeToHell

In case anyone wants to see a deck by Old School Skateboards, a wood shop in Philly. Cross post from 9”+ thread below.

++++

Old School Skateboards—a wood shop out of Philly—does single orders and I got this blank fishtail they call the Trenton. Arrived today!

Very, very fun. 9.125x32x16” WB. And the deck itself feels top shelf. It was $45 shipped (to Maryland).

Funny enough, I’d asked in the DLX thread about the Krooked Barbee shape, which has similar dimensions to this board so I was able to grab the right tricks and get this thing set up quickly.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Trying out a toy machine 8.25 from a clearance sale. Anyone know what manufacture made the shape? There is a stamp reading "7 C" on the top. Thanks in Advance.
[close]

I think these days the TM pro boards are PS and the team boards are a Chinese wood shop that we don’t seem to know the name of.

Yeah Toy Machine has been one of those companies that seemed to get wood from anywhere and everywhere in the last few years, mix and match if you will, with pics from Skate Warehouse and other places showing some on PS Stix, others with no markings at all and "Made in China" stickers, then others from BBS, Clutch, etc.

That particular board and any other with a "letter / number" combination is from Clutch, of which there are a lot, or were from around 2021-2022, but could also still be current stock as well.

Some people don't like them, but they are a solid board that comes from a decent woodshop, one of the big three, Clutch, PS Stix and BBS, all just over the border from USA in Mexico.

As to 7 C, I would guess that is the 8.25 in a shape I don't quite know, but the letter refers to the shape and the number to the size in that shape, as per info here:

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1

That orange stain sure does stand out nicely too!

Edit:

@SFC91 How did it skate for you?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 04:50:49 PM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

[close]

Nah, I'm being serious.

Other people I know had wanted to try it, more so cause it was on a good sale and they just saw the width, but they are more into the shorter wheelbase boards, so they didn't get one, otherwise I would have seen it too.

Some people who have had it said it was over 32" long, so not quite the 31.3 or something that was advertised, but definitely in the longer wheelbase category, 14.75 sort of size.

As to Dwindle, the Dwindle company is a different entity to the DSM woodshop, so as far as people had said, the woodshop is still not affected and will continue production as usual, just the Dwindle umbrella of brands now converted to generic department store type of thing, budget completes or whatever.

There were a couple of threads about it, under Dwindle and Bill Weiss or something that had a few pages of info, some of it quite interesting.

Bill Weiss thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125059.0

Enjoi is dead thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125448.0

All started with this:

Globe sold dwindle to highline industries, whose parent company Transom Capital Group also owns protec and sector 9

https://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2019/08/globe-international-sells-dwindle-skate-brands/
https://skatenewswire.com/globe-sells-dwindle/

IpathCats

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Good ?s

[close]

Nah, I'm being serious.

[close]

Other people I know had wanted to try it, more so cause it was on a good sale and they just saw the width, but they are more into the shorter wheelbase boards, so they didn't get one, otherwise I would have seen it too.

Some people who have had it said it was over 32" long, so not quite the 31.3 or something that was advertised, but definitely in the longer wheelbase category, 14.75 sort of size.

As to Dwindle, the Dwindle company is a different entity to the DSM woodshop, so as far as people had said, the woodshop is still not affected and will continue production as usual, just the Dwindle umbrella of brands now converted to generic department store type of thing, budget completes or whatever.

There were a couple of threads about it, under Dwindle and Bill Weiss or something that had a few pages of info, some of it quite interesting.

Bill Weiss thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125059.0

Enjoi is dead thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125448.0

All started with this:

Expand Quote
Globe sold dwindle to highline industries, whose parent company Transom Capital Group also owns protec and sector 9

https://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2019/08/globe-international-sells-dwindle-skate-brands/
https://skatenewswire.com/globe-sells-dwindle/
[close]

Thanks man! You're the most helpful dude on SLAP haha

Gnar'd for the thorough reply with links and shit

Edit: and in regards to the length of that 8.38 palace shape. It is almost identical to the 8.38 deluxe shape in length 32.25

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
In case anyone wants to see a deck by Old School Skateboards, a wood shop in Philly. Cross post from 9”+ thread below.

++++

Old School Skateboards—a wood shop out of Philly—does single orders and I got this blank fishtail they call the Trenton. Arrived today!

Very, very fun. 9.125x32x16” WB. And the deck itself feels top shelf. It was $45 shipped (to Maryland).

Funny enough, I’d asked in the DLX thread about the Krooked Barbee shape, which has similar dimensions to this board so I was able to grab the right tricks and get this thing set up quickly.

That's a good one!

Crazy big tails on some of those boards, but still a lot of fun.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

++++

I hadn't heard of that before either.

https://www.instagram.com/oldschoolskateboards/

Old School Skateboard Company
Brand
Skateboard manufacturer in Philadelphia, PA. 🛹
Excellent Quality, Handcrafted decks.
Design your custom skateboards👇
oldschoolskateboardco.com

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
Expand Quote

++++

[close]

Brand

I can also attest to their boards. I got a custom shape and graphic from them and the board feels excellent. 7.63 board but shaped like larger popsicles. *Edit different pic and shape info

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 06:13:56 PM by Musicaldeath107 »

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

++++

[close]

Brand

[close]

I can also attest to their boards. I got a custom shape and graphic from them and the board feels excellent. 

Stoked to hear that!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

That particular board and any other with a "letter / number" combination is from Clutch, of which there are a lot, or were from around 2021-2022, but could also still be current stock as well.

@SFC91 How did it skate for you?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Another new one, as per a post in the setup thread:

Hello all. Longtime lurker first time poster so I figured I'd post the whip. 

Custom board made by the homie Ben of nomatter skateboards.  8 x 31 with 14 inch wheelbase
Thunder 147 with hard bushings
Spitfire lil smokies 48 mm
Mob grip

https://www.instagram.com/nomatterskateboards/

NOMATTER Skateboards
Hand-made decks. Original art and commissions.
Est. 2022
Holyoke, Mass
nomatterskateboards.bigcartel.com

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I thought this might be good here as well:

Baker shapes are good.
I have a shop deck that the person specified as being ‘generator’ (not bbs…I’ve heard that generator is just a place that does graphics, I’ve also heard they have a few presses and make boards, I dunno). The board looks like a baker. Flatter, less of the dramatics concave from the side view.
Anyways, something is very pleasing to me, about the classic baker shape, the pointy, the flat, the smaller tails…noses are bigger than I like, but their boards look good on hand, and from above.

Re Generator, my understanding is this:

BBS is the manufacturer / woodshop that makes the boards for many top tier brands including Baker.  Generator is their wholesale board distributor or "in house" retail arm, more so for smaller brands and shop boards (blanks) that do not or cannot go directly to BBS. 

As a lot of the shapes and molds are different within BBS, there are dedicated molds for certain top brands, but there are also dedicated molds for Generator blanks, so what you would get as a shop board is often going to be slightly different to what Baker or similar brands have as their own concaves, due to different molds being used, even though they are out of the same place.

That way they can keep things separate so people can't just go get "blanks / shop boards" instead of a Baker board, keeping the branding and the product in a different line, blanks and shop boards being cheaper, pro boards being more expensive.

A Generator board sticker, which is on a shop board:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/ocd-keys-8-125-skateboard-deck

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374147319268

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

* I forgot to add, BBS is just over the border in Mexico, but Generator have their office in Oceanside, California.

https://www.generatordistribution.com/about-1-1

Our boards are manufactured exclusively with BBS MFG. in Mexico.  Printing, transferring, packaging & distribution is done at our facility in Oceanside California.