Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
484 (70.8%)
Yeah I guess a bit
161 (23.5%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.8%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 679

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 161513 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Thought this might be ok to post here as well.

Skatesamples uses BBS? They have the pinprick on the front truck like clutch on the website photo for the decks, but maybe that was an old pic I’m interested in tying a bbs blank out

I had meant to reply to this earlier but got distracted.

https://skatesamples.com/

They list them as "Generator Skateboard Distribution samples", on the main page in the header logo pic.

Generator Distribution is the shop board (blank) option from BBS, so although they are not the exact same boards as DLX or any other top pro brand out of BBS, they are made in the same place and are very similar in quality and feel of concave, so from riding a number of the Generator shop boards from a local shop here in AU, they skate great and if you like BBS, then they will work for you.

The shapes are generic so again, not quite the same as DLX or other pro brands, but they all seem like they are good with proportions and they work, eg normal wheelbase, normal round kicks, not pointed, not full, etc.

The sizes I have had or seen include 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 info as below (but could be different in the new stock):

Width : 8.125"
Length : 32"
Wheelbase : 14.25"

Width : 8.25"
Wheelbase : 14.25"

Width : 8.375"
Wheelbase : 14.375"

Width : 8.5"
Length : 32.3"
Wheelbase : 14.5"

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODU3NDc3ODExNTE3NDcx?story_media_id=2514951076456599846&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Madrid has their own shop

How's all the different shapes hanging up on the wall?!?

I know other woodshops would have a lot of options hidden away, but it is just cool to see all those up there on display, almost ready to pull down and make this or that depending on how you feel that day.

Probably a good thing I don't have access to something like that.

Kid in a candy store.

:)

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 61
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
Here are the shapes/sizes for all the BBS/Generator blanks from https://skatesamples.com/

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
Here are the shapes/sizes for all the BBS/Generator blanks from https://skatesamples.com/

Always meant to ask but felt like an idiot. BBS has one shape per size and theyre the same regardless of brand? Seems too simple

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Always meant to ask but felt like an idiot. BBS has one shape per size and theyre the same regardless of brand? Seems too simple

That size chart is a good one - is that for order only customers or shops?

As to BBS, they make whatever sizes and shapes any big brand wants, as most brands have slight tweaks that they want something shorter, longer, more full, etc, but for their Generator boards, they are all just the one specific size.

That way the big brands all have their own unique product (to a degree) whereas shop boards or smaller brands that use Generator just use what they are given, so people have more incentive to buy from the big brands if they want something specific.

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 61
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That size chart is a good one - is that for order only customers or shops?

As to BBS, they make whatever sizes and shapes any big brand wants, as most brands have slight tweaks that they want something shorter, longer, more full, etc, but for their Generator boards, they are all just the one specific size.

That way the big brands all have their own unique product (to a degree) whereas shop boards or smaller brands that use Generator just use what they are given, so people have more incentive to buy from the big brands if they want something specific.

This is for Generator blanks, stock sizes… you are correct, most brands have their own specific shapes, WB etc…. But a lot of the “new” companies just use a stock shape with heat transfer and call it a day…

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

This is for Generator blanks, stock sizes… you are correct, most brands have their own specific shapes, WB etc…. But a lot of the “new” companies just use a stock shape with heat transfer and call it a day…

Costs a lot less to use existing shapes than to make their own too.

Looking over those normal popsicles again and they all look pretty much spot on for the main market, maybe just an option in the 9 with a shorter 14.5 wb or something like I had seen a few brands / shops use, so I wonder if that is a thing, or they have to ask for it specifically.

One of the shops had the 9 x 32.5 with 14.5 wb, instead of the usual (orange eagle) 9 x 33 with 15 wb size board.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
https://mfg.hlcdist.com/shape/m0137/

I came across this specific shape and it just sounds perfect to me. And I am quite sure, Sour does use this shape for their decks. But Sour has at least two different 8.25s. Does anyone know what the top of the deck would say if I would like to get this specific shape? I think they are called S1 and S2 Shapes.
IG: @flowterspace

Luismps

• Rep: 6
Hello!

New here…

How is the concave and kicks in the magenta decks?
Too steep?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Hello!

New here…

Too steep?

Hi,

Welcome to Slap!

The hardest question to answer, is one that is based on personal opinion, more than anything, with no right or wrong answer.  The average angle of kick is about 20 - 22 degrees, if you are measuring, along with the cross concave being right in the middle for most normal decks nowdays.

Magenta is on BBS wood, pretty much the same normal concave as half the pro boards in the industry (as per the main list on the first page), so given there are four boards to a press, on average some will be more mellow, some steeper, as per half a dozen I have here (shop stock) with a few set up as completes in various states of use for people to try.

For me the concave is about medium, the kicks a bit steeper than I like, but for me personally, I prefer very mellow angle kicks, whereas others who ride the boards think they are just perfect and one guy says they are not steep enough, so go figure, with regard to his preference.

More than anything, what are you going to compare it to, or what did you skate last, or other more recent boards you have had?  That is probably going to make it easier to determine how you perceive concave and angle of kicks.  Also what size board are you looking at?  Some of the wider boards might have a lot more side to side concave, whereas some of the smaller boards might not have half as much, eg an 8.0 compared to an 8.5 board.

The main thing I always say is to go into somewhere, anywhere that has a good range of boards of various brands - not necessarily brands you would ride - and stand on as many as you can, just to feel the angle of kicks, or the side to side concave.  Then by using the list of which boards are from which woodshops you can narrow down what you prefer in the feel of a board, more so than just blindly buying something if you cannot get to stand on the specific board in person before the purchase.

Lastly to note, some brands like FA / Hockey are way steeper (different presses) than others of say Baker boards, which are said to be more mellow over all, or DLX boards (Antihero, Real, Krooked, There, Unity), which have a number system stamped on top, I being the steepest, II and III middle ground and IV being the most mellow, which also helps if you want a specific shape, or concave.

Start with that anyway, but someone is always here to help with any other questions, so don't hesitate to ask again.

Hope that helps!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I came across this specific shape and it just sounds perfect to me. And I am quite sure, Sour does use this shape for their decks. But Sour has at least two different 8.25s. Does anyone know what the top of the deck would say if I would like to get this specific shape? I think they are called S1 and S2 Shapes.

Unfortunately I haven't had enough experience with HLC boards, so don't know, or at least the boards I know are from HLC didn't have any additional info on top that I recall, but I have definitely heard others mention it before somewhere on Slap.

The best thing might be to contact the Sour account, or similar brand, or even HLC directly asking which shapes, but at least their online store has a lot of info regarding each board, different graphics, shape, etc.

https://soursolution.club/collections/decks

Sour list the S2 in this one:

https://soursolution.club/collections/decks/products/martin-sandberg-plugghast-7-875-8-25

8.25 X 31.52 S2 WB14.2

This one S1:

https://soursolution.club/collections/decks/products/albert-toppings-8-25

8.25 X 31.88 WB14.2 S1

Both have really good side pics of the boards as well to see, but more than anything it might be the difference in board shapes, not the concave that the S is referring to.

Hopefully someone else or the brand themselves can shed some light on it for you.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know the details and shapes on Sour Solution decks? I notice they have a few like S1 S2 S5 and a couple of others too
[close]
You can see the dimensions of decks from the last drop in the official page https://soursolution.club/collections/sp22
somewhere i read S1 is medium and S4 is mellow concave, but you can also see the photos of the decks.
[close]

Here’s the HLC catalog with details on all the shapes they have.

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

Which is which in Sour is another question then but maybe it can be worked out from there somehow.

It’s still very baffling to me how they all have 14.2” wb except one old school shape with a 14.6” wb and then the mini decks.

This might help too...

The PDF link is gone now though.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1054

Birdhouse makes a board with similar specs

https://www.tactics.com/birdhouse/armanto-alma-825-skateboard-deck

Of course similar specs doesn’t always mean similar shape

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
Skated a South Central board for the first time and it’s killer. Board feels a bit thicker than others and the kicks feel kind of unfinished in a good way. Kind of the like the Heroin razor edge, but on the kicks and not the rails.

I don’t exactly know how to express it, but the deck feels very high quality, almost like furniture.
It’s not noticeably any heavier, though.

Lots of fun. Did a good round of flappy front nose slides at the local curb spot after I took this pic. I definitely want to try more from South Central. Maybe a Politic deck.

Luismps

Expand Quote
Hello!

New here…

Too steep?
[close]

Hi,

Welcome to Slap!

The hardest question to answer, is one that is based on personal opinion, more than anything, with no right or wrong answer.  The average angle of kick is about 20 - 22 degrees, if you are measuring, along with the cross concave being right in the middle for most normal decks nowdays.

Magenta is on BBS wood, pretty much the same normal concave as half the pro boards in the industry (as per the main list on the first page), so given there are four boards to a press, on average some will be more mellow, some steeper, as per half a dozen I have here (shop stock) with a few set up as completes in various states of use for people to try.

For me the concave is about medium, the kicks a bit steeper than I like, but for me personally, I prefer very mellow angle kicks, whereas others who ride the boards think they are just perfect and one guy says they are not steep enough, so go figure, with regard to his preference.

More than anything, what are you going to compare it to, or what did you skate last, or other more recent boards you have had?  That is probably going to make it easier to determine how you perceive concave and angle of kicks.  Also what size board are you looking at?  Some of the wider boards might have a lot more side to side concave, whereas some of the smaller boards might not have half as much, eg an 8.0 compared to an 8.5 board.

The main thing I always say is to go into somewhere, anywhere that has a good range of boards of various brands - not necessarily brands you would ride - and stand on as many as you can, just to feel the angle of kicks, or the side to side concave.  Then by using the list of which boards are from which woodshops you can narrow down what you prefer in the feel of a board, more so than just blindly buying something if you cannot get to stand on the specific board in person before the purchase.

Lastly to note, some brands like FA / Hockey are way steeper (different presses) than others of say Baker boards, which are said to be more mellow over all, or DLX boards (Antihero, Real, Krooked, There, Unity), which have a number system stamped on top, I being the steepest, II and III middle ground and IV being the most mellow, which also helps if you want a specific shape, or concave.

Start with that anyway, but someone is always here to help with any other questions, so don't hesitate to ask again.

Hope that helps!

Tks for your help!
I do like mellow kicks but i could not find any information regarding this decks.
Girl/Choco and Baker are my favs.

Again, tks

Labucha

Cleaver boards will be made at PSStix from now on. I have never made boards with HLC.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
Cleaver boards will be made at PSStix from now on. I have never made boards with HLC.

Diego Bucchieri?
IG: @flowterspace

Labucha

Expand Quote
[close]

Diego Bucchieri?
YES SIR

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Diego Bucchieri?
[close]
YES SIR

Thank you!!!

Main listing and post from last week amended to reflect PS Stix 2023.

As everything on here is crowd sourced, it can very easily be incorrect info or old info, so I am always stoked if someone can help with info like this, especially someone who owns / runs their own brand / company.

Much appreciated!

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
Cleaver boards will be made at PSStix from now on.
So good to see someone sticking with PS, especially with a strong presence in Europe.

It would also be great to see boards made on the mellower PS101 mold that seemed to be around a lot more in the early to mid 2000s. Right now the only two mellow PS Stix 8.25s I could find in Europe were one model each from Pizza and WKND, neither of which I would prefer as a brand. I can't imagine to be the only one who prefers mellow kicks over the steep noses that many companies are pushing at the moment.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
[close]
So good to see someone sticking with PS, especially with a strong presence in Europe.

It would also be great to see boards made on the mellower PS101 mold that seemed to be around a lot more in the early to mid 2000s. Right now the only two mellow PS Stix 8.25s I could find in Europe were one model each from Pizza and WKND, neither of which I would prefer as a brand. I can't imagine to be the only one who prefers mellow kicks over the steep noses that many companies are pushing at the moment.
I also prefer the PS mellow concave and kicks, however I've received several boards that weren't sanded properly, where the left side of the nose is tapered and the right side of the nose is square. Buy them in person.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
Skated a South Central board for the first time and it’s killer. Board feels a bit thicker than others and the kicks feel kind of unfinished in a good way. Kind of the like the Heroin razor edge, but on the kicks and not the rails.

I don’t exactly know how to express it, but the deck feels very high quality, almost like furniture.
It’s not noticeably any heavier, though.

Lots of fun. Did a good round of flappy front nose slides at the local curb spot after I took this pic. I definitely want to try more from South Central. Maybe a Politic deck.

Hell yeah. These are my favorite boards, too. They don’t press many brands, but most people seem to have the same reaction when they skate one.

One time the only other dude at the park rolled up with this wicked east coast accent and chatted a bit after he spotted my Cinco Barrios deck. Must’ve been a regular here because he knew 5B was pressed at SC.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
does anyone know the wheelbases on rassvet boards? particularly the 8.125” shape? wanna get it, but not if it’s some like 14.38” WB.

Not sure how current this is but I was surprised it came up as almost the first search response:

https://lofistore.com.au/collections/rassvet/products/sun-collage-deck

Sun Collage Deck, Pink
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.125" x 32.25"
- Wheelbase: 14.125"
- Nose: 7.125"
- Tail: 6.75"
- Comes with free Mob Grip
- Manufactured by PS Stix

* The board in that pic looks really square, but I also thought, being PS Stix, it wouldn't be as long as 32.25 and could come out more in the 31.8 to 32 overall length when measured flat across the board.

Other sizes with all the info:

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-blue

Sun Collage Deck, Blue
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.25" x 32.25"
- Wheelbase: 14.125"

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-black

Sun Collage Deck, Green
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.5" x 32.375"
- Wheelbase: 14.25"

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:28:45 PM by Mbrimson88 »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
I was recently looking at Maxallure boards and noticed they offer PGI or BBS for most. The BBS offerings look super close to FA/Hockey dimensions based on the listings on their site. Can anyone confirm if they use the same shapes?

Examples:

https://maxallureskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/flowers-by-somdusca?variant=40026788692102

https://maxallureskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/marcello-campanello-pro-starting-line?variant=40033767161990

Labucha

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Diego Bucchieri?
[close]
YES SIR
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

;)

[close]

Thank you!!!

Main listing and post from last week amended to reflect PS Stix 2023.

As everything on here is crowd sourced, it can very easily be incorrect info or old info, so I am always stoked if someone can help with info like this, especially someone who owns / runs their own brand / company.

Much appreciated!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if this Primitive sizing guide for their decks is actually accurate? 8.38 x 14.1875" wb

this looks like a great size for me, tail is tiny bit longer than i'd want but its fine
[close]

They are accurate, long decks with short WB, perfect for Ventures. Rounded nose that aren't square.

Decided to pull the trigger on primitive mystery box. 8.38 size
Did not get a single collab board (all bbs boards)
Also got a wade board which I was hoping for (or a spencer)

2 of them are
6.6 t
6.9 n
14.19 wb
31.88 l

One is
6.7t
6.9n
14.2 wb
31.925 l

This is printed on a sticker attached to the board.

edit: Once I took the tape measure out, It seems that both board sizes are actually exactly the same, and its exactly as it is specified in the drawing, and what is printed on the sticker on the board is inaccurate  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 05:54:53 AM by rawbertson. »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if this Primitive sizing guide for their decks is actually accurate? 8.38 x 14.1875" wb

this looks like a great size for me, tail is tiny bit longer than i'd want but its fine
[close]

They are accurate, long decks with short WB, perfect for Ventures. Rounded nose that aren't square.
[close]

Decided to pull the trigger on primitive mystery box. 8.38 size
Did not get a single collab board (all bbs boards)
Also got a wade board which I was hoping for (or a spencer)

2 of them are
6.6 t
6.9 n
14.19 wb
31.88 l

One is
6.7t
6.9n
14.2 wb
31.925 l

This is printed on a sticker attached to the board.

edit: Once I took the tape measure out, It seems that both board sizes are actually exactly the same, and its exactly as it is specified in the drawing, and what is printed on the sticker on the board is inaccurate  ;D

That is a good outcome then!

Seeing what some people had put in the sale thread made me not want to touch mystery box deals ever again, but I think I am a bit more picky than others.

The one mystery box I did get from a shop deal was less than pretty average, to be fair (and polite) but that's why they have them - sometimes it can be awesome and other times you think why did I just spend $ XX on that crap?!?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:16:52 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Funny how many people have sent this to me, but it is nice to see others doing it, as well as putting something down like a board box so the top of the deck doesn't get scuffed.

JB is on Primitive, so usually BBS wood, but most brands have handled driving over them or parking on them to flatten out the kicks in my experience.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsrAOkZPhVV/