Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177443 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2023, 05:23:49 PM »
There's only one McClung.

IpathCats

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2023, 05:51:39 PM »

Wrong thread.

That's confirmed at this point.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1265
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2023, 05:51:43 PM »
Pants are best held up with a shoe lace or a volcom belt…..

I actually think it’s time to retire 874’s…..Julien….get some double knees…..time to move on…
ive been wearing the same carhartt double knees for the last year and a half and I just cant get these things to die. But once these are done I’m going back to 874s while everyone else around here is riding the never ending big boy wave

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »
My own unpopular opinion is I fully believe the skinny jean wave needs to make a return just to pick apart who actually wears stuff for comfortability/function and who wears stuff to fit in because there’s not one fucking argument you can give me that justifies wearing skinny jeans

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2023, 05:59:02 PM »
Baggier fitting pants and dunks will stay just as popular for another full year

manysnakes

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2023, 06:04:16 PM »
Baggier fitting pants and dunks will stay just as popular for another full year

📠

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2023, 07:06:28 PM »
My own unpopular opinion is I fully believe the skinny jean wave needs to make a return just to pick apart who actually wears stuff for comfortability/function and who wears stuff to fit in because there’s not one fucking argument you can give me that justifies wearing skinny jeans
They look good and make me feel sexy isnt an argument?

Also they don’t get as hot. I sweat so much more in baggier jeans.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2023, 07:14:04 PM »

I would file this under objective fact

livin on a speyer

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2023, 07:40:52 PM »
It's 2023 people. Lets get rid of the baggy pants.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2023, 08:11:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would file this under objective fact

I can’t believe I spent my formative years skating in fucking Levi’s jeans with 100% humidity, it’s a wonder I learned anything. I put on a pair of stretchy material tapered jeans  a while ago and it felt weird to even ollie

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2023, 08:22:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They look good and make me feel sexy isnt an argument?

Also they don’t get as hot. I sweat so much more in baggier jeans.
as much as I’m all for feeling good about what you’re wearing and how it makes you feel on the inside and productively on a board, I couldn’t hear that and take it seriously

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2023, 10:55:39 PM »
Yeah also I don’t think I really got my point across, I think there’s an unwritten rule in skating that extends from your setup to your gear to your skating itself: pretty much the better you are the more you’re entitled to deviate from cultural norms in skating and experiment with weird shit. I don’t think it’s gatekeeping per se and I don’t think it’s a bad thing either. It seems like a sort of subconscious respect for the craft, like when you’re sort of an apprentice in skating you have to be more low key then you can get more eccentric as you develop a voice on a skateboard. It’s cool seeing Vincent Nava skate with his gear and setup but it would be intensely cringy seeing some kid dressed up like that learning to push at the skatepark, you know what I mean?

finally someone with some sense

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2023, 02:06:23 AM »
This isn’t the popular opinion thread. How is he going to get his kook on with insightful posts like that?
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2023, 06:56:46 AM »
This isn’t the popular opinion thread. How is he going to get his kook on with insightful posts like that?

@Sizzle  should get a youtube channel to teach these kooks how to dress, and what tricks to do.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2023, 07:15:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Sizzle  should get a youtube channel to teach these kooks how to dress, and what tricks to do.

GH already filled the role of the coollness judge

switchfakie

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2023, 07:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

8-8.5 popsicle (preferably bbs)

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe
[close]

dude go outside

lmfao

switchfakie

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2023, 07:46:26 AM »

i disagree with skinny jeans, but i think slim/straight jeans need to make a return. i was suggested on youtube this shitty kid edit where there was a b-roll clip of like 4, 10-13 year olds posing with their big boys. im def over it

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2023, 08:01:10 AM »
A clap, a light board tap, and a highfive/fist bump is enough for like 95% of things. Extravagant celebrations are annoying.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2023, 08:04:10 AM »
Cats make better pets than dogs

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:57 AM »
Yeah also I don’t think I really got my point across, I think there’s an unwritten rule in skating that extends from your setup to your gear to your skating itself: pretty much the better you are the more you’re entitled to deviate from cultural norms in skating and experiment with weird shit. I don’t think it’s gatekeeping per se and I don’t think it’s a bad thing either. It seems like a sort of subconscious respect for the craft, like when you’re sort of an apprentice in skating you have to be more low key then you can get more eccentric as you develop a voice on a skateboard. It’s cool seeing Vincent Nava skate with his gear and setup but it would be intensely cringy seeing some kid dressed up like that learning to push at the skatepark, you know what I mean?

so by your logic, if you looked like nava and wanted to learn to skate you would need to change your look and dumb it down to then be able to skate? this is so dumb, what is the median age on this forum?

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2023, 08:18:18 AM »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Fuck it, this for pretty much any weird shit you guys are doing if you aren’t old or insanely good.

8-8.5 popsicle (preferably bbs)

Plain trucks. Indys ideal, venture respectable if you’re good, acceptable if you’re mediocre. aces respectable but you HAVE to be good, if you aren’t good get indys. Thunders are weird because of the logo and branding but you can do it with an 8.5 deck, they look good wide and worn (just like my ladies)

Spits, bones bearings, mob or Jessup. Get as creative as you want with your hardware as long as it’s black or silver. You can have ONE colored bolt but only if there’s nothing else iffy going on with your setups, can’t do it with thunders. Colored Bolt absolutely has to be in front of board, obviously.

Plain black grip.

No pro model wheel graphics for the spitfires and if you don’t sand them they have to be in. In is preferable even if you sand them, it’s the principle of it (I would feel so weird skating with them facing out, I would feel like I put my trucks on backwards or something). Ideally go for a private slappy sesh THEN turn them in once you get some scrapes, if you aren’t going to sand them.

Like two stickers tops, ideally none but putting the local shop sticker on feels like a nice nod to the community

Avoid anything too red or orange, or anything too “busy” on the graphic, black board is the best most of the time

This is kinda what your board should look like, if you are deviating from this general guideline you better have something to show for it or be old. Once you’re grey you can literally do whatever you want, when you’re close you can start dabbling with old guy stuff, (like early thirties are fine to transition to curb skating, weird grips and shit) but do not show up to the park without a receding hairline cruising around on your fucking 10” board doing wallies and slappies when you’re literally still on your moms health insurance, it’s fucking cringe
[close]

Hahaha, damn dude that’s one of the best posts I’ve read in a while.  While I agree with every single thing you said, taken as a whole, it reads a little bit like Maoist party propaganda.

I started putting one of my back wheels graphics-out just to get a little rebellious and stir things up a bit.

I’ve been flipping my back heel side wheel out for the longest, why are we this way

greencurbs

• Rep: -4
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »

@sizzle

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2023, 10:31:28 AM »

I wear skinny jeans, mostly because they have a good amount of stretch. But I get them 2 sizes bigger as I need so they don't look too skinny ya know.

My unpopular opinion for 2023.

You absolutely can have a session when the ground is wet outside. If it is raining, that's a different situation.
IG: @flowterspace

Skate_camera

• Rep: 1
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2023, 10:38:27 AM »
I think Jagger Eaton and John Cardiel have a very similar style. Lanky arms, hunched over, open palms.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2023, 10:41:29 AM »
I think Jagger Eaton and John Cardiel have a very similar style. Lanky arms, hunched over, open palms.

the sheer audacity to put those two in the same sentence together...

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 177
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2023, 10:43:53 AM »

You’ve come to the right place.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2023, 10:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wrong thread.

That's confirmed at this point.

ugh...the older I get, the more difficult this whole "surfing the internet" thing gets. My apologies.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »
A clap, a light board tap, and a highfive/fist bump is enough for like 95% of things. Extravagant celebrations are annoying.

You forgot the hug.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await