Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19826 times)

brownjenkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2023, 08:30:34 PM »
I'm done with vans skate classic styles in general.

There's a two week sweet spot between when they're broken in and completely dead. What's the point

I feel the same way. I got a pair of Skate Old Skools on sale in December. The last Old Skools I skated were the Pro versions and i was hoping these would feel better.  I've worn them around a few times and regret it. There is too much rubber on the toe for my liking and by the time the flick area wears in, they're probably going to be mush.

I'm going to sand the kickflip area of the toe down with some old grip to hopefully maximize how long they feel good.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2023, 08:42:27 PM »
The new Last Resorts

Expand Quote
Been skating Vans since the checkered tag ones came out three years ago. I really like the way they skate. Especially fond of the slip ons. Am I going to be bummed if I get a pair of 001s? How comparable are the two brands now that they use similar Vulc with a drop in insole designs?
is the last resort insole more or less supportive?
I only ask because money sux.
Thanks.
[close]

I'm not satisfied with the quality of the shoe, especially since I had to pay $100 for them (some of the good vulcs and cupsoles on the market cost much less than this).

Sole still wears out fast, albeit not as fast as the old versions but still isn't long lasting. I've had my pair for about 2 weeks and the sole is nearly bald and I found my feet slipping off my board half the time.

Insole is alright. Definitely meant for low impact skaters, but they aren't glued to the shoe anymore so you can easily replace them with whatever.

Suede quality is fine, but the dye isn't. The color is already extremely faded to where it looks like I've been skating the shoe for months.

The toebox is much narrower than Vans and won't give you much wiggle room, if at all.

Since you really like the current skate Vans, I think you'll be really disappointed with Last Resort. My pair felt really nice for first few days and then went to shit afterwards. I put on my old Half Cabs today and was instantly reminded why I used to wear Vans a lot prior to looking at other shoe brands.

I bought a pair of the Vans Zahbas, and if those don't hold up then I will swear off buying shoes at full price forever (sorry local shops).

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2023, 10:35:47 PM »
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.

Got any 8.125 Quasi's that you're willing to part with?

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2023, 10:41:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.
[close]
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger
[close]

Ayo yeah what quasi boards
[close]

[close]

Me and Ok probably skated each 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 from these pictures and would skate them again - put these in the classifieds they'd probably move quick.
[close]

That shape is so sick. One of two 8.5s that I’d gladly ride.
Right now I’m pretty stuck on the 8.125 quasi/ps stix shape that every normal person hates due to the weird tail.
All of those graphics are good too

The Quasi / ps stix 8.125 has the perfect tail & anyone who doesn't think so is wrong

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2023, 11:24:39 PM »
after skating an 8.25 / 14 wheelbase for the past ±3 years I wanted to become more of a "I can skate any board" type'a guy and bought a magenta board that was like 60% off 8.125 / 14.25 wheelbase... I had to take it off after 2 sessions.

also regret buying a bunch of dunks to resell, then the market crashed and they're too chunky/ rounded toe to skate. 

a common comment I see on here is people buying  different truck brands and sizes, switching them out. Don't you just lose your mind breaking them in and getting used to them so often?

a pair of trucks for me lasts like a year + and I skate ledges multiple times a week, its the one piece of gear I do not fuck with under any circumstances. Been riding ace 44 classics for 10+ years - even through the quality issues of the early days.

newguy

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2023, 02:04:21 AM »
those butter santosuosso jeans
too tall and slim for that shit
it looked like i was rocking charles barkleys hand me downs

newguy

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2023, 02:10:40 AM »
I bought a Rave board because I liked the graphic they did for Leo Cholet with the Hot wheels flame. It cost 75 euros and it was so. flat. Probably the flattest board I ever skated. I pretty much had to relearn every trick only for the board to die= two months later, last time I ever bought a board from a popular brand, only sticking to my local shop's boards from now on.

Bought some Polar 90's in 30/32 but waist was still too large, for some reason though Polar doesn't offer a 28/32 fit so I felt pretty bummed out. Let it go for cheap, couldn't be bothered to sell it back for the og price.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2023, 05:20:08 AM »
I bought a Rave board because I liked the graphic they did for Leo Cholet with the Hot wheels flame. It cost 75 euros and it was so. flat. Probably the flattest board I ever skated. I pretty much had to relearn every trick only for the board to die= two months later, last time I ever bought a board from a popular brand, only sticking to my local shop's boards from now on.

Bought some Polar 90's in 30/32 but waist was still too large, for some reason though Polar doesn't offer a 28/32 fit so I felt pretty bummed out. Let it go for cheap, couldn't be bothered to sell it back for the og price.

Damn.
2 months out of a flat board sounds like the best possible outcome. Love the flat.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2023, 05:21:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger
[close]

Ayo yeah what quasi boards
[close]

[close]

Me and Ok probably skated each 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 from these pictures and would skate them again - put these in the classifieds they'd probably move quick.
[close]

That shape is so sick. One of two 8.5s that I’d gladly ride.
Right now I’m pretty stuck on the 8.125 quasi/ps stix shape that every normal person hates due to the weird tail.
All of those graphics are good too
[close]

The Quasi / ps stix 8.125 has the perfect tail & anyone who doesn't think so is wrong

I probably wish it was 14 wb, and not 14.125, but the tail and the overall length are too good

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2023, 06:53:39 AM »
I bought a lot of non F4 wheels in the last few years :(
I'll stop doing that now...I hope. Unfortunately they just got stupidly expensive in europe, equivalent to 76.69 $ per set.

manysnakes

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2023, 08:22:10 AM »
I bought a lot of non F4 wheels in the last few years :(
I'll stop doing that now...I hope. Unfortunately they just got stupidly expensive in europe, equivalent to 76.69 $ per set.

It's just not worth it.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2023, 09:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no no no
they fell above my ankles and were baggy as shit
had to sag them to fit right which defeated the purpose
sitting down was comical with how far they ran up my shins
but the joke wore off in record time.

i can laugh at myself, but not when it comes to my swag
i have too much pride to wear pants that dont fit

$120ish and no refund. to look like i stole jared’s pants
special olympics on my end

@toe_knee they were 36s and i donated them a while back
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

newguy

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2023, 04:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
no no no
they fell above my ankles and were baggy as shit
had to sag them to fit right which defeated the purpose
sitting down was comical with how far they ran up my shins

Oh boy now I feel bad now, I wore pants like these for a solid year before I figured out how pants should fit. The sitting down part is too real, I’m a complete freak on measurements now to avoid this exact problem.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2023, 07:42:04 PM »
Recent regrets include 55mm radials. I got them to go skate transition in Hawaii. I still had an awesome trip and skated fine, but my board felt like it was someone else’s. Flip tricks are taking a little extra effort now that I’m home. Sometimes I have to stray away from classics to realize that I should probably stick with classics
fuck you bama

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2023, 09:21:27 PM »
Recent regrets include 55mm radials. I got them to go skate transition in Hawaii. I still had an awesome trip and skated fine, but my board felt like it was someone else’s. Flip tricks are taking a little extra effort now that I’m home. Sometimes I have to stray away from classics to realize that I should probably stick with classics

@art hellman made a few comments that somehow sorta clarified the wheels thing for me. My personal realization was that if I’m skating wider wheels, they need to be at most 53, and then taller wheels need to be skinny.

But classics just work and I don’t need to worry, I know they’ll flip. I wish I could skate rougher ground, but…52 classics are what feels comfortable

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2023, 09:51:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@art hellman made a few comments that somehow sorta clarified the wheels thing for me. My personal realization was that if I’m skating wider wheels, they need to be at most 53, and then taller wheels need to be skinny.

But classics just work and I don’t need to worry, I know they’ll flip. I wish I could skate rougher ground, but…52 classics are what feels comfortable

Now you got my madness going - I swapped from SML OG Classics to NFG Square recently and my kickflips have tanked in consistency. Naturally, I'm blaming my gear instead of my abilities, as is tradition here.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2023, 10:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Now you got my madness going - I swapped from SML OG Classics to NFG Square recently and my kickflips have tanked in consistency. Naturally, I'm blaming my gear instead of my abilities, as is tradition here.

@rocklobster are they the same size? IMO that little bit of a rounded edge from a classic shape helps flip the board and lock in on grinds

@ok I knew setting them up that I was making a mistake. The really good thing about these are how they grip on slick ramps and ride over rougher surfaces. Those qualities definitely helped me out there even if my board felt off. I'll just push through it for a few months and eventually go back to classics
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2023, 12:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@rocklobster are they the same size? IMO that little bit of a rounded edge from a classic shape helps flip the board and lock in on grinds

@ok I knew setting them up that I was making a mistake. The really good thing about these are how they grip on slick ramps and ride over rougher surfaces. Those qualities definitely helped me out there even if my board felt off. I'll just push through it for a few months and eventually go back to classics

OG Classics were 53mm, Squares were 54mm, so negligible difference. I am noticing I have to flick off later and more deliberately.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2023, 07:27:20 AM »
Bought a 8.75" Tactics board and Ace trucks after riding Indy's my entire life. Deck feels hollow and weird when I pop and I hate how the trucks feel. I'm sure they're fine but to me riding a skateboard = riding Indy's, I don't know why I thought changing after 15 years would be a good idea. Ended up getting a 9x33" shop deck from my local and big Indy's and it's the best setup I've ever had. 

newguy

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2023, 08:00:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn.
2 months out of a flat board sounds like the best possible outcome. Love the flat.

I really dont, to be fair I started with a hockey board with a lot of concave and really like those kinds of boards so I shouldve tried someone's rave board before ordering online.

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2023, 04:35:50 AM »
Palace 8.38 with a 14.8 wb.
Its not the wheel base i hate, its the fact that its short with that big ass wb. I think its a 31.7 in lenght. So to have that wheelbase on a short deck, you get no fingers of flat. And everytruck i own, the hanger floats. Thunder, venture and indy all float.

Sucks cause i love the graphic.

I've got a Palace wit those dims set up. The nose and tail are too tapered for my liking. Picked it up on sale for less than half the price, so not particularly disappointed.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »
only one in recent memory that comes to mind is getting Venture Lo’s. Venture highs are my truck of choice and have been since 2020, but I heard a lot of the benefits that came with skating the lo’s (primarily from Ben Degros, who backs them hard) so I decided to try out a set. After one sesh I knew they just weren’t meant for me; they just felt so off to me, I couldn’t get comfy on them. Took them off at the end of the sesh and gave them to a friend who needed new trucks, he’s still skating them to this day.

Besides that though, most of my buyers remorse tends to come from decks; there’s just been so many instances where I buy decks that look good to me and feel good when I stand on them, but the second I put my trucks on them and skate around for a bit I automatically know it’s a no-go.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2023, 02:49:03 AM »
F4 51mm Tablets.

Found out I’m a classic kind of guy. No matter how many times I try these on different set ups I can’t get myself to like them.

If anyone is interested in a set, let’s chat. They’re the 99a versions.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2023, 03:34:55 AM »
the other week i bought a 10" symmetrical egg from Heroin, cause the shop was sold out of Dead Daves i actually wanted to get. i also just set up a old 10" egg that was the last in my stack of unskated decks (except for wall hangers).

well now i already miss the Dead Dave shape i'm normally on and realized i jinxed myself into skating 2 eggs in a row..
or i'll have to buy another deck online again and will start stacking unused decks again wich i dont want..

switchfakie

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2023, 04:09:52 AM »
Bought 6 globe decks bc they were so cheap. I focused 2 bc the wood is trash (veneers too thick which makes the board really heavy) & have the other 4 dead stock in my bedroom. Never buy a globe board, the cheap prices seduced me & stole my critical thinking skills

pops

• Rep: 256
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2023, 06:20:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm done with vans skate classic styles in general.

There's a two week sweet spot between when they're broken in and completely dead. What's the point
[close]

I feel the same way. I got a pair of Skate Old Skools on sale in December. The last Old Skools I skated were the Pro versions and i was hoping these would feel better.  I've worn them around a few times and regret it. There is too much rubber on the toe for my liking and by the time the flick area wears in, they're probably going to be mush.

I'm going to sand the kickflip area of the toe down with some old grip to hopefully maximize how long they feel good.

True. I really liked my Skate Old skools for the first couple weeks, then they morphed into complete potatoes. I've then moved on to cupsoles and my feet thank me.

switchfakie

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »
Bought a 8.75" Tactics board and Ace trucks after riding Indy's my entire life. Deck feels hollow and weird when I pop and I hate how the trucks feel. I'm sure they're fine but to me riding a skateboard = riding Indy's, I don't know why I thought changing after 15 years would be a good idea. Ended up getting a 9x33" shop deck from my local and big Indy's and it's the best setup I've ever had.

its probably the trucks, not the board

tactics uses BBS wood for their shop decks

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
Alltimers Fastbreaks. Felt too soft and felt very prone to anklerolls. Returned straight away.

DanRar009

• Rep: 61
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2023, 04:01:32 AM »
Decided to try out some ace af1’s after snapping the kingpin on my Indy’s and absolutely hated the aces. I’m 6’1 and 195 pounds so the stock bushings were never going to work for me. Tried the hard bushings and not any better. Got maybe 5 or 6 sessions on em. Now I’m back on thunders with the super hard conical bushings, and that’s where I’m gonna stay.