Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19524 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2023, 09:17:34 AM »
Bought 6 globe decks bc they were so cheap. I focused 2 bc the wood is trash (veneers too thick which makes the board really heavy) & have the other 4 dead stock in my bedroom. Never buy a globe board, the cheap prices seduced me & stole my critical thinking skills

I think they use Birch on their decks but with the R7 process, so right between a price point a pro Dwindle board.

Recent regret was Iron Horse griptape, barely any grit on it, my fingers actually work with my phone's in-screen fingerprint reader
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ggrimmedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2023, 09:40:39 AM »
The recent one is Chucks Mids, name checks out and for the price I should buy Vans Slip ons, the toecap is (ugley) too hard and kills my feet, now I'm going to destroy them speedrun style in my local concrete bowl

Edit: fuck you Eli Williams for making them looking cool, I'm looking like a clown now
:p

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2023, 08:04:49 AM »
don't buy Ishods. I had a hole after 2 relatively calm sessions. Glad i didn't pay full price

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2023, 06:03:55 AM »
Got a Baker 8.75 og shape and it is 100% a clone of the white Anti-Hero eagle. Same taper towards the tail, wheelbase is 14.6 yada yada yada…Not that bummed but I wish that it was its own thing because the sticker claims it to be and eagles are everywhere and a Baker this size is less common. I didn’t buy a Baker to skate another eagle.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2023, 05:01:11 PM »
Got a Baker 8.75 og shape and it is 100% a clone of the white Anti-Hero eagle. Same taper towards the tail, wheelbase is 14.6 yada yada yada…Not that bummed but I wish that it was its own thing because the sticker claims it to be and eagles are everywhere and a Baker this size is less common. I didn’t buy a Baker to skate another eagle.

Did it have the usual Baker dimensions on it, eg 32 long with 14.5 wheelbase?

Only reason I ask is I seem to see that on anything 8.5 or over, but others had said they have different dimensions, even the 8.5 is more like 32.3 or so long, not just 32.

Maybe they got lazy when people had asked about bigger boards, which I don't usually see from Baker, so they just used another BBS 8.75 which happened to be the white eagle shape.

Even the regular BBS / Generator 8.75 is a more all round shape, come to think of it, when I got a few of them back before covid issues, etc. Generator sizes as per this post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg4016120;topicseen#msg4016120

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2023, 06:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only reason I ask is I seem to see that on anything 8.5 or over, but others had said they have different dimensions, even the 8.5 is more like 32.3 or so long, not just 32.

Maybe they got lazy when people had asked about bigger boards, which I don't usually see from Baker, so they just used another BBS 8.75 which happened to be the white eagle shape.

Even the regular BBS / Generator 8.75 is a more all round shape, come to think of it, when I got a few of them back before covid issues, etc. Generator sizes as per this post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg4016120;topicseen#msg4016120

The OG shape sticker is incorrect on this board. It’s cut exactly like the dlx shape not the Baker shape.

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2023, 07:12:12 PM »
Jason Dill all-chrome FA board.  Green griptape.  Black wheels.

Expand Quote
Bought ace trucks for 90€ and skated them twice before going back to my old ones.  :(
[close]

Can’t handle greatness?

Didn't you say you didn't like ace cause it made your board flip funny?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2023, 08:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I regret buying half the winter sale decks I ended up with, two madness decks with weird short mellow kicks, and a steep nose hockey that seems too different than I usually ride.
[close]

Sort of same. I can make the Hockey decks work, but they're not perfect for me. I'd rather spend an extra $10 for a closeout Primitive or Polar deck, which are much closer to my preference. I keep thinking of listing them up for sales on Craigslist for like $35/deck - I figure I could get rid of them quickly that way.

On my second Hockey deck and it’s great. The nose takes some getting used to but I like the big tail with Indys and the concave is deep but it works for me in a way deep concave usually does not.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »
Every FA deck I've had has been a regret for sure. I dunno what it is but I skate like shit on them even when I get used to them. The paint quality is also kinda shit I had a graphic with silver metallic paint and it would just flake off.

Other would be Dragons. People said they were super different than the prototypes but skated basically the same for me, which I didn't care for/need what they offered.

Emerica Wino slips were the worst made shoes I've owned as an adult. But, there was a pair on sale and I figured it was an anomaly and got a second pair. On both the foxing would come off the shoe where the creases of the upper were and then slowly would come off the entire shoe. Otherwise they fit pretty well and no complaints about comfort.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2023, 10:33:04 PM »
Every FA deck I've had has been a regret for sure. I dunno what it is but I skate like shit on them even when I get used to them. The paint quality is also kinda shit I had a graphic with silver metallic paint and it would just flake off.

Other would be Dragons. People said they were super different than the prototypes but skated basically the same for me, which I didn't care for/need what they offered.

Emerica Wino slips were the worst made shoes I've owned as an adult. But, there was a pair on sale and I figured it was an anomaly and got a second pair. On both the foxing would come off the shoe where the creases of the upper were and then slowly would come off the entire shoe. Otherwise they fit pretty well and no complaints about comfort.
Trusting Emerica QC sure is a wild ride.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2023, 11:13:02 PM »
A pair of Indy 149 TI and 149 Forged Mids to franken-truck a super low and light 149. Except I've been on Ventures for my last 7 decks and can't bring myself to change anything up.

Thanks brain.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2023, 01:08:34 PM »
you really bought the two most expensive trucks from one brand to get one pair of trucks ?
i can only bow down to such a will

switchfakie

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »
bought some Illegal Civ gear circa 2020. i was just a youngin with zero knowledge of what's core or cool. cringe every time i think back to that lol. not that i'm cool or core now, but i at least know that Illegal Civ is a dogshit company

dw they were cool a little while after IC3 dropped, which was around 2020

i bought some jack purcells x IC i had on ice bc i wanted to re-sell that i finally got to skating when i realized they were lame asf

also was a youngin when i bought that shit

switchfakie

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2023, 03:51:04 PM »
i have about 10 pairs of all black DC slipons in my closet i bought for $17 a pop because i was broke and it was such a good deal, i thought it would save me money in the long run

little did i know that DC's run too small & their slip on soles are absolute shit

never buying from DC again

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »
i have about 10 pairs of all black DC slipons in my closet i bought for $17 a pop because i was broke and it was such a good deal, i thought it would save me money in the long run

little did i know that DC's run too small & their slip on soles are absolute shit

never buying from DC again

One of the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever owned .  Too bad cause they're a good looking slip-on.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2023, 09:54:57 AM »
SKF Bearings. I really wanted to like them. The bearings are made in Italy and they added Tiago to a team that already has Ishod and Oski. Every time I try something other than Swiss/Swiss 6, I go through a short period where I'm prematurely stoked on them, but they don't last. The ratio of price/time-used has been awful every time I get anything other than Swiss.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2023, 01:53:42 PM »
A pair of Indy 149 TI and 149 Forged Mids to franken-truck a super low and light 149. Except I've been on Ventures for my last 7 decks and can't bring myself to change anything up.

Thanks brain.

How would this work?
The baseplates are supposedly the exact same for those two trucks. The mids just have a different kingpin. How would it get lighter without the TI axled hanger? How will it get lower without the mid hanger?
Tell me your secrets!
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2023, 02:28:55 PM »
The Ti are already lighter due to not having the IKP bolt

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2023, 08:48:28 PM »
SKF Bearings. I really wanted to like them. The bearings are made in Italy and they added Tiago to a team that already has Ishod and Oski. Every time I try something other than Swiss/Swiss 6, I go through a short period where I'm prematurely stoked on them, but they don't last. The ratio of price/time-used has been awful every time I get anything other than Swiss.

with swiss(6) being the top tier, what would you say the SKFs were comparable to? regular reds?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2023, 10:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

with swiss(6) being the top tier, what would you say the SKFs were comparable to? regular reds?

I have both and I can’t compare the SKFs with anything else. They’re still silent after almost a year of using them without cleaning. Still spinning as well as the day I got them but I feel like they are slower in general than most bearings when brand new. I think it’s the grease they use for lubrication. This isn’t about free spin tests, which are worthless. So for carefree use they seem really good but overall the performance is slightly less than most other clean and well lubed bearings.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2023, 11:07:51 PM »

Thanks brain.
congrats, youre awake
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2023, 12:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks brain.
[close]

How would this work?
The baseplates are supposedly the exact same for those two trucks. The mids just have a different kingpin. How would it get lighter without the TI axled hanger? How will it get lower without the mid hanger?
Tell me your secrets!

For Mids the reduced height comes from the hanger (around 3mm going from 55mm to 52mm, same cast baseplate, based on the specs off the Indy website). Going with the forged baseplate lowers it another 1.5mm, resulting in a 50.5mm truck height, at least that's what my brain math would suggest. (https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269)

Didn't want to ride an IKP I've read they loosen with time, so I got the TI with the forged baseplate. If I didn't like the height I would still have a pair of 149 TI, but none of that came to fruition.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2023, 05:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have both and I can’t compare the SKFs with anything else. They’re still silent after almost a year of using them without cleaning. Still spinning as well as the day I got them but I feel like they are slower in general than most bearings when brand new. I think it’s the grease they use for lubrication. This isn’t about free spin tests, which are worthless. So for carefree use they seem really good but overall the performance is slightly less than most other clean and well lubed bearings.

that's damn interesting, im curious if stripped of their lube and relubed if they'd be better/worse/same

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2023, 11:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I regret buying half the winter sale decks I ended up with, two madness decks with weird short mellow kicks, and a steep nose hockey that seems too different than I usually ride.
[close]

Sort of same. I can make the Hockey decks work, but they're not perfect for me. I'd rather spend an extra $10 for a closeout Primitive or Polar deck, which are much closer to my preference. I keep thinking of listing them up for sales on Craigslist for like $35/deck - I figure I could get rid of them quickly that way.
[close]

On my second Hockey deck and it’s great. The nose takes some getting used to but I like the big tail with Indys and the concave is deep but it works for me in a way deep concave usually does not.
Yeah i'm locked into Hockey decks.  Love the huge nose, it's like having a cheat for ollies.  Has the vibe of a shaped board with the practicality & responsiveness of a Popsicle.  Graphics are always sick too, and i'm happy to back the team (when the boards are on sale...)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2023, 12:02:21 AM »

Why they didn't do these through BBS or PS Stix I'll never know... Similar shape but just not the same.

Skated a BBS Charley Harper Habitat before this (same size) and regretted taking it off the minute I put this on.

What didn't you like about the Mosaic one? I'm riding the 8.38 Twin 20th Anniversary Mosaic deck, they used China for a batch of decks 2 quarters ago. Not terrible but their BBS ones have more spring and feel less stiff.

But I'll pass on the PS Stix ones
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

thehogsniper

• Rep: 50
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »
Last thing I regretted was probably buying red suede Half Cabs. They were great shoes, but the bleeding of the suede was an absolute nightmare to get out of clothes. Pretty much is going to keep me off red shoes for a while.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2023, 05:30:26 PM »
I was trying a very specific trick and as soon as I set the Mosaic deck up I couldn't even slide the damn thing. Maybe the tail was too long or something. The dimensions seemed off. I'm not sure if I was having an off day but I couldn't even get close. I just put another Charley Harper BBS Habitat on and landed what I was trying today  8).

You are not the only one in that regard.

Quite a number of people who have tried different woodshops have either found things worked amazingly well, or totally sucked depending on what they were used to, the concave and kicks on boards from different woodshops might not seem like much to some, but to others it is the difference between feeling like home and feeling like you will never land anything again, so to speak.

Regardless of which woodshop in question, best to work out what it is about the board that didn't work and go from there.

Are they the same dimensions, just different concave or molds used, different angle of kicks, spoon shaped kicks vs flat faced kicks, or any number of other things you could notice between the two boards?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2023, 06:20:20 PM »
bought converse fastbreaks, the alltimers collab. the shop didn't have an 11 so i bought size 12 thinking i'd be fine to skate them because my feet are a little bigger than a size 11
they weren't okay! i rolled my ankle 5 minutes into skating with them  .
might just turn them into street shoes because they're not bad looking
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2023, 05:24:07 AM »
Bought a SeaRat 10" popsicle. Threw it on 215s and thought it'd make a really fun slappy board mich like how he makes it look on his IG.

Then I realized it's too big for me — 33" long, 15" WB, etc. My stance felt way off and it felt way too big for me all around.
I did the same thing, kinda. A buddy gave me that board, hooked it up and it was like riding a small boat.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2023, 05:31:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The OG shape sticker is incorrect on this board. It’s cut exactly like the dlx shape not the Baker shape.
Kinda makes sense. Those dudes seem to swap out for 18’s from time to time.