Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738976 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2820 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »
Indy bushings (169) feel way softer than ace bushings (55) to me

It was weird, but I think the difference between well worn in bushings might be different to the first session just riding new trucks bushings.  These were well worn in and definitely not new Indy trucks, so could be different to the current Indy orange bushings.

I wonder if they have changed the duro on bushings at all too, but I had noticed the stock Indy ones started off very squishy and get a bit more solid once they wear in, but then if they blow out, they get all kinds of loosey goosey.

Probably should take a set off each off the new sets of trucks I have and compare sizes / then put them in the same trucks on one of my regular boards and done up to the same height (as per bushing height) and see how they feel.

That and comparing the height of kingpin, washers, etc.

I might be going down the rabbit hole with that one though!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2821 on: January 16, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »
When are the updated aces supposed to be dropping? Want to wait for those before trying a pair out.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

IpathCats

« Reply #2822 on: January 16, 2021, 07:57:40 AM »
When are the updated aces supposed to be dropping? Want to wait for those before trying a pair out.

I was told this spring a little while back from someone on Ace's IG. I've since deleted my account, so no screenshot, sorry.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2823 on: January 17, 2021, 12:47:33 AM »
Is the only difference between the baseplates on ace low and high the kingpin length?  I found some brand new magnesium plates online but they are listed as low.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2824 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2825 on: January 20, 2021, 06:40:17 PM »
Does anyone here skate the 33s? I've only skated 44's but was thinking of sizing my whole setup down a little bit and was wondering how they compare or what people's feelings are on them. Currently skating 44's on an 8.75 because I like a pretty intense magic carpet feeling... was thinking of doing 33's on a 8.25

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2826 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Does anyone here skate the 33s? I've only skated 44's but was thinking of sizing my whole setup down a little bit and was wondering how they compare or what people's feelings are on them. Currently skating 44's on an 8.75 because I like a pretty intense magic carpet feeling... was thinking of doing 33's on a 8.25

I’m skating 33’s on an 8’ right now. Not too different from 44’s aside from the obvious size difference. I had 44’s on a 8.75 a couple years ago and loved it, but if the magic carpet feeling is a problem you shouldn’t feel it as much on an 8.25 on 33’s

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2827 on: January 20, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »

You probably have it set up as you like it (magic carpet), but as you already have them, you could try the 44s on a smaller deck first and see how it rides.

I just found that 33s are just too narrow for my liking when I set them up on an 8.125 that I had 139s and 144s on (usually on Indy 149s on 8.38 nowdays so everything else feels small) even though it would still give the same effect sized down, I wonder if it might also be too narrow for you.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2828 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »
I haven’t had 33s for a bit, got some on the way from the good dude. Anyways, I swear, this is first gen, mind you, that they used to say they were something like 7.9 wide. Without measuring I’d say ace have slightly smaller hangers, causing the axles to be longer, which allows for more wheel positions via speed rings. Take all of that with a pile of salt.
I like 8” trucks the best. I’ve had 33s on 8.25. Fondly remember that setup. I’m short, size 10 shoe. For reference. Wider shit has never helped me unlock anything, it can, occasionally, feel more comfy. But I don’t skate any better.
Plus 33s look the coolest.

Diocletian

« Reply #2829 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
I skated 33's years ago on an 8.125 and 8.18, they were fun as hell. I had to go back to 44's though, on transition even a 8.38" wide truck is cutting it close to being a little too skinny for catching coping and overall stability. I agree the 33's look better because they retain that classic more svelt look.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2830 on: January 21, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
I love my ace 55. I recently sold my indy 169 ti because they just didn't click with me. I was thinking of getting some thunder 161s but couldn't find any in stock around me. I turned to the ace 55 because my local had some. Initial thoughts were holy shit these are surfy and fun but bushings were way to soft and I was suffering from had wheelbite. Im 220lb and have always had trouble with getting trucks loose enough to turn without getting bad wheelbite. I experiment with bushings alot and either end up with something firm and stable enough but can't get quick deep turns or soft enough to turn like i want but suffer from the wheelbite again. These ace trucks are the answer for me. I'm running mini logo 100a barrels board side and bones hard road side with the washer they come with. This feels perfect. Plenty firm and stable enough but these trucks just turn when I want them to and they turn deep. I can hardly get the wheels to touch the board. I am stoked!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: January 22, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
Also posted in Trucks thread, but thought some people might like it in the Ace thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9750

I just came across this post from a while back from the guy who does his own board shapes, customised Ace inverted kingpin.

Looks like he did it right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B__TYkzFm38/

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:04:11 PM by Mbrimson88 »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2832 on: January 22, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
I just came across this post from a while back from the guy who does his own board shapes, customised Ace inverted kingpin.

I remember seeing that Grosso (RIP) had his Aces set up this way, too. I assume it's a Krux downlow kingpin with an epoxied nut at the bottom?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2833 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember seeing that Grosso (RIP) had his Aces set up this way, too. I assume it's a Krux downlow kingpin with an epoxied nut at the bottom?

Looks like it, from the third pic on that instagram post.

That guy has some amazing modifications and well worth looking through his previous posts on instagram.

I wanted to put up a few more, but thought I might be posting too much.

Things like cutting down 55s to make them spot on 8.5 wide trucks, changing out kingpins for those inverted ones, making his own boards, changing and cutting down Vans Sk8 hi to mid...  the list goes on.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2834 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looks like it, from the third pic on that instagram post.

That guy has some amazing modifications and well worth looking through his previous posts on instagram.

I wanted to put up a few more, but thought I might be posting too much.

Things like cutting down 55s to make them spot on 8.5 wide trucks, changing out kingpins for those inverted ones, making his own boards, changing and cutting down Vans Sk8 hi to mid...  the list goes on.

My kinda skate dork
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2835 on: January 24, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »
Also posted in Trucks thread, but thought some people might like it in the Ace thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9750

Looks like he did it right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B__TYkzFm38/
This post of his is an even better step-by-step tutorial on how to do this
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDj8qxXFGqK/

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2836 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Anyone tried an 8.5 with 55’s?
Super hot rod?
I’ve got conical wheels ( speed lab slappy hours)
Seem to recall something in the set up thread with 55 on an 8.6 ages ago.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2837 on: January 28, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
I've done 55s on an 8.5". Its doable but not ideal if you like to flip the board. If you're skating transition and not getting too tech its pretty fun. You can always use skinnier wheels and no inside washers to keep it tighter.

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2838 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Super hot rod?

I'm running this setup right now and have off and on over the last few years. You get a little bit of hotrod but running no axle side washer and two on the outside helps! Can still flip my board just fine. Nothing beats 55s for me so no matter what else I try and whatever board I'm setting up I'm always going back to them

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2839 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

I'm running this setup right now and have off and on over the last few years. You get a little bit of hotrod but running no axle side washer and two on the outside helps! Can still flip my board just fine. Nothing beats 55s for me so no matter what else I try and whatever board I'm setting up I'm always going back to them
what boards work the best for you with 55’s? Kicks/wb/fingers of flat?

Diocletian

« Reply #2840 on: January 28, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
I've learned trucks wider than deck is no fun for me, less turn and more wheelbite. 44's with 2 washers on the inside works great for 8.5. For 8.6-8.8" I run three washers on the inside with wide wheels and it's pretty much flush with the deck. Never have a "magic carpet" feeling.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2841 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
I've learned trucks wider than deck is no fun for me, less turn and more wheelbite. 44's with 2 washers on the inside works great for 8.5. For 8.6-8.8" I run three washers on the inside with wide wheels and it's pretty much flush with the deck. Never have a "magic carpet" feeling.

This

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2842 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]

Second the question about which boards with 55s

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2843 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]

I prefer steeper kicks and between 14.38-.5 on wheelbase, don't really pay attention to fingers of flat

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2844 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]
[close]

Second the question about which boards with 55s

Never owned a set of 55s, I personally ride 44s with 3 washers inside each wheel on 8.5 decks, but a friend of mine had a 8.75 Quasi with 55s and it was a hell of a lot of fun to ride. I had a rough time flipping it, especially nollie tricks, but it was amazing on transition. Only rode it for a couple laps in the park, but it felt really good under my feet, made me want to get a set just for tranny.

It didn't really feel like it hot rodded much tbh, or at least I didn't notice it did at all.

nevrwasben

« Reply #2845 on: January 28, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]
[close]

I prefer steeper kicks and between 14.38-.5 on wheelbase, don't really pay attention to fingers of flat
TKF 8.75
Mellow kicks
14.5-.6
1.5-2 fingers?

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2846 on: February 01, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Retired my 44s recently after the pivot cups blew out even though they had a lot of life left in the hangers. They just felt too squirrelly.

Is there a pivot cup replacement that anyone would recommend that holds up better?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2847 on: February 01, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
Retired my 44s recently after the pivot cups blew out even though they had a lot of life left in the hangers. They just felt too squirrelly.

Is there a pivot cup replacement that anyone would recommend that holds up better?
riptide
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2848 on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
riptide

Off giving you the real.

Ryantology: do you even madness bro?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2849 on: February 01, 2021, 07:19:40 PM »
Just wanted to say that Ace' warranty program is pretty great. Nice, responsive dudes over there.

Bout to get some replacement Ace's in the mail. Unfortunately, it is the deep of winter so I hope the stories on the last few pages are maybe a little bit exaggerated I able to break them in OK in the deep cold.

Also, it looks like Ace is under a new distro now with.... evan smith's Uma landsleds??

https://www.mesadistribution.com/