Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 376034 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2940 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:39 PM »
@Mbrimson88 probably worth also putting that bushing height info in the bushing thread. Valuable

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2941 on: February 22, 2021, 09:49:29 PM »
@Mbrimson88 probably worth also putting that bushing height info in the bushing thread. Valuable

Yeah, I went and found some Ventures and also added in the duro info too.

Probably too much information, as usual.  :)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2942 on: February 23, 2021, 06:06:57 AM »
Oslo 44ís with risers

Seems like the polar/ace guys run risers

Fhk hu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2943 on: February 23, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
Oslo 44ís with risers

Hes got those bitches cranked down too! Damn I'm 200 lbs and run the nut flush!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #2944 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Oslo 44ís with risers

[close]

He's got risers and wheel wells cut out and those kingpins cranked. Absolutely no chance for wheel bite

Fhk hu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2945 on: February 23, 2021, 07:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oslo 44ís with risers

[close]
[close]

He's got risers and wheel wells cut out and those kingpins cranked. Absolutely no chance for wheel bite
Ha good observation! I don't care about pros setups very much but that picture is making me question everything I've ever "known"

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2946 on: February 23, 2021, 07:40:52 AM »
Wondering if he has low tops/standard bottoms. When I run aces I keep them stock and cranking them down at all seems like it would back them bag out at the sides pretty hard.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

skatekm0

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2947 on: February 23, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »
Oslo 44ís with risers

I run risers on my Aces. Always have. Helps to avoid wheelbite so I keep the out of the box looseness.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2948 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
Wondering if he has low tops/standard bottoms. When I run aces I keep them stock and cranking them down at all seems like it would back them bag out at the sides pretty hard.
yeah maybe thatís it . What would the benefit be? Deeper turn?

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2949 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the opposite, wouldn't it cause the top washer to bite the hanger quicker and make it a little "pinchier"? Need some of our bushing experts to weigh in.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • Instagram
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2950 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think the opposite, wouldn't it cause the top washer to bite the hanger quicker and make it a little "pinchier"? Need some of our bushing experts to weigh in.

You're right - he is looking for stability imo - keep in mind he goes faster than the average person

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -67
« Reply #2951 on: February 27, 2021, 12:44:57 PM »
Okay, I've read a lot of this thread in the past, I've changed over to riding Ace trucks now. So, I just set-up a brand new deck today with Ace 44s and I can't ride them without either the top or bottom bushing escaping from the washer and messing it up. Is this normal? I did read that you just need to keep riding it and it will eventually settle?

Couldn't enjoy them yet since I can't ride for more than a minute without the bushings doing this, although the turning seems so great compared to my old indy 139s.

Like many ppl here, I experienced exactly the same problem. At first I tried to install Bones mediums but they don't fit but you can get away with it if you keep the bottom stock bushing although wasn't ideal for me. I know a few dudes that skate theirs like that.

The Ace stock top washer is defo too small so I tried it with the Bones top washer and they're perfect like that with the kinpin nut flush. Hands down the best turning truck in the game if you like loose trucks.

Not sure how people skate tight trucks tbh. Having to tic tac to turn should be illegal. Way more legit when you see someone landing a fast & gnarly trick or line and you can tell their riding hella loose trucks as its so much harder!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2952 on: February 27, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
Pontus set up. 8.75” 14.375” wb and ace 55 it’s looking like.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #2953 on: February 27, 2021, 11:43:28 PM »
Homie gave me his old 03ís some time ago, I think they are like first batch of them as bushings and pivot cups were absolute toast while hangers are still in ok condition. I got new rubber parts for them and yesterday I finally got to test them and I was surprised how fucking good they turn being a low truck. Now I just need some smaller wheels, coming from 44ís my 53mm conical fulls are way too big😅

tl;dr: I was surprised how good low aces turn.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

iwshilvdnfinland

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 12
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2954 on: February 27, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Okay, I've read a lot of this thread in the past, I've changed over to riding Ace trucks now. So, I just set-up a brand new deck today with Ace 44s and I can't ride them without either the top or bottom bushing escaping from the washer and messing it up. Is this normal? I did read that you just need to keep riding it and it will eventually settle?

Couldn't enjoy them yet since I can't ride for more than a minute without the bushings doing this, although the turning seems so great compared to my old indy 139s.

[close]

Like many ppl here, I experienced exactly the same problem. At first I tried to install Bones mediums but they don't fit but you can get away with it if you keep the bottom stock bushing although wasn't ideal for me. I know a few dudes that skate theirs like that.

The Ace stock top washer is defo too small so I tried it with the Bones top washer and they're perfect like that with the kinpin nut flush. Hands down the best turning truck in the game if you like loose trucks.

Not sure how people skate tight trucks tbh. Having to tic tac to turn should be illegal. Way more legit when you see someone landing a fast & gnarly trick or line and you can tell their riding hella loose trucks as its so much harder!

just keep poking it back in, and keep skating them for a week or two. 
it fixes itself after you wear the bushings in a bit.  it's annoying, but worth it

the new trucks won't

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #2955 on: February 27, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just keep poking it back in, and keep skating them for a week or two. 
it fixes itself after you wear the bushings in a bit.  it's annoying, but worth it

the new trucks won't
Or get flat washer from set of bones bushings like the dude said, best feeling.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2956 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:08 AM »
Def donít need to swap bushings. Iíd loosen those a half turn and kept riding em

Ok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #2957 on: February 28, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »
Jay got the correct plan imo

manysnakes

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2958 on: February 28, 2021, 11:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

[close]

Sorry to chime in on this so late but catching up on 90+ pages of Ace chat takes a good few minutes ;)

Surely adding risers to Ace trucks and having such a short wheel base would make the timing of the ollie feel super delayed?

Does anyone else agree with Ben Degros that Ace trucks fall out of the crooked grind pinch?

I honestly have no idea what people are talking about with this. I skate Aces and crooked grinds are my go-to trick. I suspect that, if you just have one style of trick which you like and skate regularly, you will adjust to it just fine. If youíre constantly comparing Venture and Indy and whatever else, you might have a harder time acclimating

m477

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2959 on: February 28, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
The pinch between venture and ace is definitely different. Think of it this way. Ace turns deep and feels carvy. Venture is more of a lean than a turn. So when you crank down a crook with all your body weight, the ace truck is way more contorted while grinding. Meanwhile the venture has a much milder angle.

For me, it feels like the ace is more parallel to the curb and venture is so sideways itís damn near like a noseslide. So in that regard, the techniques do require slightly different body weight distributions for long grinds.

At first I thought it was BS too but after riding ace for a few years and now on my second set of 6.1s, I understand it. An easy way to see it, is just push your truck down as hard as you can to simulate the pinch. Doing this you can see how much more contorted the ace gets.

And to answer the question of falling out of crooked grinds? Neither truck is gonna stop you from doing this on long grinds (I say long because this is where the body weight distribution really matters). You can fall out on both trucks if your technique is slightly off. However I will say that popping out to forward in the middle of a curb/ledge is immensely easier on venture. Maybe itís because itís in a closer position to a nose slide?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:05:02 PM by m477 »

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #2960 on: February 28, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »
The pinch between venture and ace is definitely different. Think of it this way. Ace turns deep and feels carvy. Venture is more of a lean than a turn. So when you crank down a crook with all your body weight, the ace truck is way more contorted while grinding. Meanwhile the venture has a much milder angle.

For me, it feels like the ace is more parallel to the curb and venture is so sideways itís damn near like a noseslide. So in that regard, the techniques do require slightly different body weight distributions for long grinds.

At first I thought it was BS too but after riding ace for a few years and now on my second set of 6.1s, I understand it. An easy way to see it, is just push your truck down as hard as you can to simulate the pinch. Doing this you can see how much more contorted the ace gets.

And to answer the question of falling out of crooked grinds? Neither truck is gonna stop you from doing this on long grinds (I say long because this is where the body weight distribution really matters). You can fall out on both trucks if your technique is slightly off. However I will say that popping out to forward in the middle of a curb/ledge is immensely easier on venture. Maybe itís because itís in a closer position to a nose slide?
how tight do you ride your 6.1s? pinch never was a problem or something to "simulate" in my experiences

m477

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2961 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »
On the ventures I use 94a black independent aftermarket barrel bushings, 1/8 risers and the kingpin nut is flush.  With the aces the bushings are a hodgepodge of hard indy conical and barrel. I'm on the heavier side at 205 so for me this is a pretty medium level of tightness, definitely not loose or tight. When I said simulate, what I meant was push the wheel to wheelbite with your hand.  If you do this, you can see how the ace and venture angles are different.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
    • Suciu
« Reply #2962 on: February 28, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
Been wanting to try ace for so long to shorten the WB on my 8.5 Polars. Can't wait till the new model drops 🔮
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

FatGuy92

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2963 on: March 01, 2021, 12:34:06 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of the 03s? I'm currently on 44s and was thinking of sizing down to 33s once I kill these, but was always curious about how the lows feel. How's the turning? Wheel bite? Kingpin clearance?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2964 on: March 01, 2021, 01:15:34 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of the 03s? I'm currently on 44s and was thinking of sizing down to 33s once I kill these, but was always curious about how the lows feel. How's the turning? Wheel bite? Kingpin clearance?

Unless you are riding tiny wheels or tighter trucks, or put risers on (which kind of defeats the purpose of low trucks) you might end up struggling.

Not to say there are not people who like them, but compared to the normal ones, they are very low with minimal kingpin clearance, check that pic - maybe zero clearance and kingpin touching once you do a few grinds?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-trucks-03-low-polished

Ace 03 Low, at 1.90" (48mm) tall these are a full 5/32" (4mm) lower than our 33 Classic. Not recommended for use with taller than 53mm wheels. These lower your center of gravity for added stability at the cost of a slightly reduced turning radius. Works best with 8.125" or smaller boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2965 on: March 01, 2021, 06:07:10 AM »
Been wanting to try ace for so long to shorten the WB on my 8.5 Polars. Can't wait till the new model drops 🔮

My 8.5Ē Polar with Ace 44s was definitely one of the best setups I skated in a long time. I ended up buying three Polar decks to keep the feel going

FatGuy92

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2966 on: March 01, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unless you are riding tiny wheels or tighter trucks, or put risers on (which kind of defeats the purpose of low trucks) you might end up struggling.

Not to say there are not people who like them, but compared to the normal ones, they are very low with minimal kingpin clearance, check that pic - maybe zero clearance and kingpin touching once you do a few grinds?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-trucks-03-low-polished

Ace 03 Low, at 1.90" (48mm) tall these are a full 5/32" (4mm) lower than our 33 Classic. Not recommended for use with taller than 53mm wheels. These lower your center of gravity for added stability at the cost of a slightly reduced turning radius. Works best with 8.125" or smaller boards.

Helpful thanks! Looks like the lows arenít for me

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 103
« Reply #2967 on: March 01, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »
There is a theory that is you want a more stable truck that responds quickly, low trucks with risers are preferable to high trucks... Not my preference at all but if you want to delve into this madness via Ace Lows, please report back...

Or

Just get Thunders for the same effect.

OMSK

• Rep: -11
« Reply #2968 on: March 01, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
Switched back to 8.5 from 8.38 board and had a new set of ace 44s to try, too narrow. Went to the shop got some 55s, too wide.... I had that bushing dilemma as well.... So far my quest to start riding aces is on standby...

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #2969 on: March 01, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
I tried 55's on my 8.5 and yea it wasn't ideal. I LOVE my 8.75 with 55's though. Such a sweet truck. I had the same bushing issue. I threw a Bones Hard top with the washer and left the stock bottom with washer and its worked perfect. I did this to my 66 set up as well. Works good for me.