Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739004 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2910 on: February 12, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
Take it to the DMs like a man.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2911 on: February 12, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
Chatter I’ve picked up over the wire indicates a forged/hollow configuration for the AF-1 line. No verifiable intel on new widths at this time.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2912 on: February 12, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
I was about to get some Aces or some titanium indys, guess I should hold out and see what this drop is

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #2913 on: February 22, 2021, 05:09:01 AM »
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

Sorry to chime in on this so late but catching up on 90+ pages of Ace chat takes a good few minutes ;)

Surely adding risers to Ace trucks and having such a short wheel base would make the timing of the ollie feel super delayed?

Does anyone else agree with Ben Degros that Ace trucks fall out of the crooked grind pinch?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2914 on: February 22, 2021, 05:14:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry to chime in on this so late but catching up on 90+ pages of Ace chat takes a good few minutes ;)

Surely adding risers to Ace trucks and having such a short wheel base would make the timing of the ollie feel super delayed?

Does anyone else agree with Ben Degros that Ace trucks fall out of the crooked grind pinch?

I suck at crooked grinds. But I will say I felt a better pinch on venture  than ace. I think I had them better on thunder thsn ace too but I haven’t skated thunders in a few years. I enjoy aces. But curious to see if others have this problem or is it me blaming equipment. I do love my aces though

IpathCats

« Reply #2915 on: February 22, 2021, 05:49:55 AM »
Ace's cause your crooks to be more crooked than on other trucks. The shorter wheelbase makes more of your nose touch whatever you're grinding too which changes the feel of it for sure.

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #2916 on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:47 PM »
Apologise if anyone has mentioned this already...

One of the homies that skates for Ace just mentioned a few days ago that they'll be releasing their own bushings fairly soon. Two choices apparently: one of which will have the top bushing cut to half the normal size.

My guess is they'll be releasing them along with the new forged truck.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:45:05 PM by Bigwheelbite »

Diocletian

« Reply #2917 on: February 22, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »
They already have their own bushings in classic and low sizes?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2918 on: February 22, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Apologise if anyone has mentioned this already...

One of the homies that skates for Ace just mentioned a few days ago that they'll be releasing their own bushings fairly soon. Two choices apparently: one of which will have the top bushing cut to half the normal size.

My guess is they'll be releasing them along with the new forged truck.

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-stock-bushings

They have the lows online as well. They’ve been selling these separately for awhile now

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2919 on: February 22, 2021, 05:05:37 PM »
I wonder if they are doing just low heads though, as per the Indy ones that I bought a few dozen of and swear by, same height bottom, just half the height in the top, so you start with the truck still sitting at the right angle and height from the bottom bushings, but the lower head means you can have the nut on nicely and still have the super loose feel, or as I have done, tighten them down a bit more and angle grind the kingpin head off a bit for a ton of clearance.

From the site, the Ace low are lower in general but still fairly tall.

Low Bushing Set

Top 10mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 12mm tall | 86a hardness

Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

As I had posted earlier in another thread, but this time using Ace aftermarket measurements:

Ace low
Total  22 mm
Top  10 mm
Bottom  12 mm

Ace classic
Total  26 mm
Top  12 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Venture stock 94a
Total  22.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

* Added Venture in here as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:37:19 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2920 on: February 22, 2021, 05:51:39 PM »
@Mbrimson88 probably worth also putting that bushing height info in the bushing thread. Valuable

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2921 on: February 22, 2021, 09:49:29 PM »
@Mbrimson88 probably worth also putting that bushing height info in the bushing thread. Valuable

Yeah, I went and found some Ventures and also added in the duro info too.

Probably too much information, as usual.  :)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2922 on: February 23, 2021, 06:06:57 AM »
Oslo 44’s with risers

Seems like the polar/ace guys run risers

Fhk

« Reply #2923 on: February 23, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
Oslo 44’s with risers

Hes got those bitches cranked down too! Damn I'm 200 lbs and run the nut flush!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2924 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Oslo 44’s with risers

[close]

He's got risers and wheel wells cut out and those kingpins cranked. Absolutely no chance for wheel bite
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fhk

« Reply #2925 on: February 23, 2021, 07:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oslo 44’s with risers

[close]
[close]

He's got risers and wheel wells cut out and those kingpins cranked. Absolutely no chance for wheel bite
Ha good observation! I don't care about pros setups very much but that picture is making me question everything I've ever "known"

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2926 on: February 23, 2021, 07:40:52 AM »
Wondering if he has low tops/standard bottoms. When I run aces I keep them stock and cranking them down at all seems like it would back them bag out at the sides pretty hard.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2927 on: February 23, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »
Oslo 44’s with risers

I run risers on my Aces. Always have. Helps to avoid wheelbite so I keep the out of the box looseness.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2928 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
Wondering if he has low tops/standard bottoms. When I run aces I keep them stock and cranking them down at all seems like it would back them bag out at the sides pretty hard.
yeah maybe that’s it . What would the benefit be? Deeper turn?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2929 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the opposite, wouldn't it cause the top washer to bite the hanger quicker and make it a little "pinchier"? Need some of our bushing experts to weigh in.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2930 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think the opposite, wouldn't it cause the top washer to bite the hanger quicker and make it a little "pinchier"? Need some of our bushing experts to weigh in.

You're right - he is looking for stability imo - keep in mind he goes faster than the average person

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #2931 on: February 27, 2021, 12:44:57 PM »
Okay, I've read a lot of this thread in the past, I've changed over to riding Ace trucks now. So, I just set-up a brand new deck today with Ace 44s and I can't ride them without either the top or bottom bushing escaping from the washer and messing it up. Is this normal? I did read that you just need to keep riding it and it will eventually settle?

Couldn't enjoy them yet since I can't ride for more than a minute without the bushings doing this, although the turning seems so great compared to my old indy 139s.

Like many ppl here, I experienced exactly the same problem. At first I tried to install Bones mediums but they don't fit but you can get away with it if you keep the bottom stock bushing although wasn't ideal for me. I know a few dudes that skate theirs like that.

The Ace stock top washer is defo too small so I tried it with the Bones top washer and they're perfect like that with the kinpin nut flush. Hands down the best turning truck in the game if you like loose trucks.

Not sure how people skate tight trucks tbh. Having to tic tac to turn should be illegal. Way more legit when you see someone landing a fast & gnarly trick or line and you can tell their riding hella loose trucks as its so much harder!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2932 on: February 27, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
Pontus set up. 8.75” 14.375” wb and ace 55 it’s looking like.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2933 on: February 27, 2021, 11:43:28 PM »
Homie gave me his old 03’s some time ago, I think they are like first batch of them as bushings and pivot cups were absolute toast while hangers are still in ok condition. I got new rubber parts for them and yesterday I finally got to test them and I was surprised how fucking good they turn being a low truck. Now I just need some smaller wheels, coming from 44’s my 53mm conical fulls are way too big😅

tl;dr: I was surprised how good low aces turn.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #2934 on: February 27, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Okay, I've read a lot of this thread in the past, I've changed over to riding Ace trucks now. So, I just set-up a brand new deck today with Ace 44s and I can't ride them without either the top or bottom bushing escaping from the washer and messing it up. Is this normal? I did read that you just need to keep riding it and it will eventually settle?

Couldn't enjoy them yet since I can't ride for more than a minute without the bushings doing this, although the turning seems so great compared to my old indy 139s.

[close]

Like many ppl here, I experienced exactly the same problem. At first I tried to install Bones mediums but they don't fit but you can get away with it if you keep the bottom stock bushing although wasn't ideal for me. I know a few dudes that skate theirs like that.

The Ace stock top washer is defo too small so I tried it with the Bones top washer and they're perfect like that with the kinpin nut flush. Hands down the best turning truck in the game if you like loose trucks.

Not sure how people skate tight trucks tbh. Having to tic tac to turn should be illegal. Way more legit when you see someone landing a fast & gnarly trick or line and you can tell their riding hella loose trucks as its so much harder!

just keep poking it back in, and keep skating them for a week or two. 
it fixes itself after you wear the bushings in a bit.  it's annoying, but worth it

the new trucks won't

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2935 on: February 27, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just keep poking it back in, and keep skating them for a week or two. 
it fixes itself after you wear the bushings in a bit.  it's annoying, but worth it

the new trucks won't
Or get flat washer from set of bones bushings like the dude said, best feeling.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2936 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:08 AM »
Def don’t need to swap bushings. I’d loosen those a half turn and kept riding em

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2937 on: February 28, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »
Jay got the correct plan imo

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2938 on: February 28, 2021, 11:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I honestly have no idea what people are talking about with this. I skate Aces and crooked grinds are my go-to trick. I suspect that, if you just have one style of trick which you like and skate regularly, you will adjust to it just fine. If you’re constantly comparing Venture and Indy and whatever else, you might have a harder time acclimating
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2939 on: February 28, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
The pinch between venture and ace is definitely different. Think of it this way. Ace turns deep and feels carvy. Venture is more of a lean than a turn. So when you crank down a crook with all your body weight, the ace truck is way more contorted while grinding. Meanwhile the venture has a much milder angle.

For me, it feels like the ace is more parallel to the curb and venture is so sideways it’s damn near like a noseslide. So in that regard, the techniques do require slightly different body weight distributions for long grinds.

At first I thought it was BS too but after riding ace for a few years and now on my second set of 6.1s, I understand it. An easy way to see it, is just push your truck down as hard as you can to simulate the pinch. Doing this you can see how much more contorted the ace gets.

And to answer the question of falling out of crooked grinds? Neither truck is gonna stop you from doing this on long grinds (I say long because this is where the body weight distribution really matters). You can fall out on both trucks if your technique is slightly off. However I will say that popping out to forward in the middle of a curb/ledge is immensely easier on venture. Maybe it’s because it’s in a closer position to a nose slide?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:05:02 PM by m477 »