Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738968 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4080 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:49 AM »
Took apart both trucks again (the truck with the cup shredding was the rear truck); Both plates have the issue and you can clearly see that's it due to a machining error as there is a 'swirl' mark leading directly from the 'nick' on the plate. The 'black residue' was present on the hanger pivot as well but it hadn't begun to creep out.

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

Back truck and rotated the cup to better see the 'nick':

Front plate (clearly not as bad but it's still there)

Both plates (front plate is the closest to the camera and you can clearly see the machining marks):

ACE got back to me real quick and are backing them by sending out another set and extra cups. They've also noted that they've seen a few of these cases (but said new cups solved it; not sure those that had the issue took them apart and saw what I saw and sent them pics). I was thanked for the pics as it will help them isolate/solve the issue in future runs (we can hope).

If anyone hasn't set them up, I'd highly suggest taking them apart and checking your cavities.

Also, they are under Mesa Dist., along with Uma.

I appreciate the photos. I was interested in seeing the pivot cups because I figured that the issue was going to be something external cutting into the cup, since the process of making an 8mm plastic cup is a lot simpler and easier to do than boring a perfectly smooth hole for it to sit in.

Hopefully this is just a stumbling block for Ace and they're able to get new baseplates out to everyone affected. It doesn't seem to be too widespread, because I know a couple of people who rushed out to buy AF1s and they have had no issues, but then again, the average Slap reader is probably paying more attention than most.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4081 on: May 11, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »

Here’s the front truck pivot cavity from my 66s I posted about earlier.

And the busted pivot cup bushing.

Cavity looks more dented than poorly machined. Back truck cavity and bushing was fine as were both on my 55s.

I’ll send Ace a message about this and see what comes of it. I’ll skate the trucks normally until then though. Can’t be bothered changing the shit up as it still all works fine.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4082 on: May 11, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
Isn’t that dent done by the hanger digging into it? Like when carving deep the part that goes into the pivot slams the sides and creates the dent. I remember a few years back in my first set of aces 33 the pivot cavity was getting wider and turning oval with a lot of wiggle room. They actually started turning like shit after that. Then I got axle slip on both trucks a bit after and gave them away.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4083 on: May 11, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
Has anyone tried the old  base plates with the new hangers and bushings?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4084 on: May 11, 2021, 01:10:37 PM »
Has anyone tried the old  base plates with the new hangers and bushings?
I asked a few posts up. Still no takers I guess.

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4085 on: May 11, 2021, 01:22:15 PM »
always first...to have an issue. god damn ace, how embarrassing after all the hype. some of you guys might need to switch to krux or something that's gender non-conforming, too. joey t been posting anti-israel and anti-vax stuff on his stories. ;D

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4086 on: May 11, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
always first...to have an issue. god damn ace, how embarrassing after all the hype. some of you guys might need to switch to krux or something that's gender non-conforming, too. joey t been posting anti-israel and anti-vax stuff on his stories. ;D

Ace stuff aside, because I dont care and I'm not having a problem with mine, you're a fucking kook of the highest order. The saddest part is you're probably a guy in at least their mid-30s.
ok thanks

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4087 on: May 11, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »
It seems pretty clear that Ace may have screwed more than a few pooches in the QC dept with this roll out.
It’s even more clear that username Toey Jershay = Rhino.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #4088 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
It seems pretty clear that Ace may have screwed more than a few pooches in the QC dept with this roll out.

Someone should film themselves throwing a tantrum in the parking lot of Ace headquarters

#FuckAceTrucks #neverbuyingfromacetrucksagain
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #4089 on: May 11, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Someone should film themselves throwing a tantrum in the parking lot of Ace headquarters

#FuckAceTrucks #neverbuyingfromacetrucksagain

I thought you were talking about Ace Hardware for a minute and I was like, damn, that guy's gonna run out of hardware stores to get pissed at.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4090 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »
Replacements arrived today (one day shipping) along with some other goodies!

Took them apart and the machining is WAAAAAY better...however, there is still a slight 'nick' or 'pit' this time, on the left side of each plate, I don't think it will cause any issues tho as it's smoother and much much smaller...still...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4091 on: May 11, 2021, 08:11:42 PM »
Isn’t that dent done by the hanger digging into it? Like when carving deep the part that goes into the pivot slams the sides and creates the dent. I remember a few years back in my first set of aces 33 the pivot cavity was getting wider and turning oval with a lot of wiggle room. They actually started turning like shit after that. Then I got axle slip on both trucks a bit after and gave them away.

I was thinking about that but I dunno how it could have happened. Maybe before the bushings hardened, which I thought was BS but they’re definitely much harder now than the first few sessions.

I do run the trucks as loose as possible and with 54mm wheels and 1/8” risers, so they do turn deep.

The dent is at the toe side though which is definitely getting less such forces in my normal skating. I guess it could have been a single messed up slappy or something though. 🤔

I should have inspected the pivot stem when I took the trucks apart. Maybe I’ll do that later on and check if there are any markings on the stem.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4092 on: May 11, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »
I checked each pivot stem, no barbs, smooth as could be.

I too, thought it might be something that happened from skating them as I don't recall seeing the nick/divot/whatever when I first got them; as big as it is, I would assume I would have caught it...but in my pic where I rotated the pivot cup section that was shredded, clearly the pivot cavity flaw was/is visible and I should have seen it...

So they're either present to start (which my second pair semi-confirm since I can see the flaw, albeit smaller) and / or they get bigger somehow after skating them...I mean, I saw mine after 20 min of skating...cup was already chewed and that was JUST boardslides to warm up. I don't think the metal there is soft to deform like that from skating....if so surely some pilots surely had this happen?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4093 on: May 14, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
Woah the Ace thread deep on page 2. Been awhile!!

Anyway, these test things are kinda cheesy typically, but this one is alright (and relevant to our interests in this thread), and its THEE hottest topic in trucks.
How do the AF1s grind for Ronnie Sandoval?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46dws3TVt54
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4094 on: May 14, 2021, 11:21:35 AM »
I saw that and it made me to commit to finally setting up my AF1 55s and 66s.... I've got to know...

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4095 on: May 14, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
I saw that and it made me to commit to finally setting up my AF1 55s and 66s.... I've got to know...

I reverted back to my classics for the time being. I liked em better and I want to finish them off before I decide whether or not to strap my AF1 66s back up or buy another set of classics.
ok thanks

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4096 on: May 14, 2021, 11:30:45 AM »

Anyway, these test things are kinda cheesy typically, but this one is alright (and relevant to our interests in this thread), and its THEE hottest topic in trucks.

that was filmed and editted like stallion, also cant ronnie get some shorter hardware?

chrisskates808

« Reply #4097 on: May 14, 2021, 03:40:21 PM »
The price of  'the turn.'

I never had pivot cups prematurely blow out in the classics.

But when I have worn out pivot cups in any truck, I kind of like that fucked up, loose rattle.

I do like the loose rattle

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #4098 on: May 14, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »

Damn, that last 55-seconds or so. My ass would've been dizzy at that point.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4099 on: May 14, 2021, 09:50:28 PM »

How is his back truck rattly loose while he has like three threads showing on the kingpin?  ???

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #4100 on: May 14, 2021, 09:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is his back truck rattly loose while he has like three threads showing on the kingpin?  ???

At some point in the vid they were doing a check on the trucks and I swear he had different bushings in. I used to run venture tops on my Ace classics to get the super rattly loose as an experiment so maybe he changed bushings before starting?

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #4101 on: May 14, 2021, 10:04:21 PM »

No boardside washers, and to me they seem like darkened old bushings. Maybe even low top?

chrisskates808

« Reply #4102 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I couldn’t exactly see how his bushings were but the only guess I have is maybe he shaved them. What I do to mines is I cut them. Both top and bottom. I can’t answer how many threads I have showing because I’m using an inverted on my Ace.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4103 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »
Always interesting to see pro setups and all the weird and wonderful things that they do.

Ronnie looks like he is running the Ace classic top bushing on the bottom with no washer, then the standard thunder top yellow see through bushing on top with metal washer, which when in the sun looks yellow as per the screenshot, but looks almost black in a couple of other shots when it is in the shade.

Having a lower bushing and no washer on the bottom would mean he could tighten the truck down some while still having it rattling loose (but still maintain some control over the trucks turn).

I saved half a dozen screen shots of the setup just to check it out, but after he put the new trucks on which still had the stock bushings in the first close up, it looks like the same bushings the whole session, that he took out of his old trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #4104 on: May 15, 2021, 12:19:39 AM »
Always interesting to see pro setups and all the weird and wonderful things that they do.

Ronnie looks like he is running the Ace classic top bushing on the bottom with no washer, then the standard thunder top yellow see through bushing on top with metal washer, which when in the sun looks yellow as per the screenshot, but looks almost black in a couple of other shots when it is in the shade.

Having a lower bushing and no washer on the bottom would mean he could tighten the truck down some while still having it rattling loose (but still maintain some control over the trucks turn).

I saved half a dozen screen shots of the setup just to check it out, but after he put the new trucks on which still had the stock bushings in the first close up, it looks like the same bushings the whole session, that he took out of his old trucks.

Amazing. Thanks for the screenshot and breakdown.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4105 on: May 15, 2021, 02:14:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Amazing. Thanks for the screenshot and breakdown.

Yeah, that’s some great investigative work right there! Kudos Mbrimson88!

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4106 on: May 15, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked, does the af1 have higher axle height compared to the classic ace or is it the same height?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4107 on: May 15, 2021, 06:22:07 AM »

I saw this and thought it relevant.

The screen grab is crazy for how much the truck hanger moves, but the video showing the rattle is better (second frame).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO3HCN5MeWZ/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4108 on: May 16, 2021, 04:40:54 AM »
Dunno about the durability of the AF1s but the kingpin clearance sure could be better.

These trucks are two weeks old. Granted I’ve done a lot of slappies and broke in a whole bunch of unpainted curbs. But I guess a lower kingpin would compromise the turn. An inverted one with the same space for the bushings might be the best option but no such luck.

I have been liking these trucks a lot. Maybe they could be a bit more unstable in the middle for easier turning when pushing. I did bump up to a shaped 9.25” board and AF1 66s from a 8.38” popsicle and classic 44s so it’s a bit of an apples to oranges comparison anyway.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4109 on: May 16, 2021, 06:19:28 AM »
Two weeks @Roisto ?! Nicely done.