Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 429194 times)

laterskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4080 on: May 09, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »
I use these:

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

Gives that bones action with any bushing (bottoms last forever).

Iím going to give these a try, thanks!

ďGives that bones action with any bushingĒ - sounds incredible, immediately sold.

manysnakes

• Rep: 57
« Reply #4081 on: May 09, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »
I use these:

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

Gives that bones action with any bushing (bottoms last forever).

Damn man, I've been wanting something like this for years. I thought about having some of my machinist friends make them for me, but I didn't even know where to start. Price is decent for a small batch machined product like this.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4082 on: May 09, 2021, 06:41:51 PM »
Those washers and the dual.duro.ace bushings (low top, reg bottom) + riptides make Indy/venture feel great, best I could get the venture to feel.

I ride loose but don't like slop so flat washers and low top bushings work wonders. I almost always use bones tops or these sleeved washers with conicals...dual sleeved small washers in thunders....are so worth it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4083 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
First Session on them, 20 minutes into it and the cup started getting fucked up. Pics are from a 1hr 45min session:

The culprit:

Someone else posted the exact same issue, it's a flaw in the pivot cavity (I assume it's there to begin with and not something that deforms first skate); it's not rounded/smooth so when you lean into that area it's going to deform/cut the cup leading to it blowing out.

I'm over it, heavy low-tech truck with continued shitty QC.

That said, that turn is sooo on point (I loosened them a turn or so to get the nut flush as I had threads showing stock), zero break in or adjustment, they feel that good. Grind-wise they felt fine, harder than classics and out of the gate, dare I say smoother/easier to grind than Indy/Thunder/Venture.

Oh well, back to Indy/Tensor.

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #4084 on: May 10, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
First Session on them, 20 minutes into it and the cup started getting fucked up. Pics are from a 1hr 45min session:

The culprit:

Someone else posted the exact same issue, it's a flaw in the pivot cavity (I assume it's there to begin with and not something that deforms first skate); it's not rounded/smooth so when you lean into that area it's going to deform/cut the cup leading to it blowing out.

That said, that turn is sooo on point (I loosened them a turn or so to get the nut flush as I had threads showing stock), zero break in or adjustment, they feel that good. Grind-wise they felt fine, harder than classics and out of the gate, dare I say smoother/easier to grind than Indy/Thunder/Venture.

Bummer. I skated my AFs for about a week and then went back my classics, which I prefer overall. When I get home I'm going to look and see if the pivot cavity is deformed at all.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1006
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4085 on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »
Anyone try a classic baseplate with AF1 hanger yet?
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4086 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote

The culprit:

[close]

Bummer. I skated my AFs for about a week and then went back my classics, which I prefer overall. When I get home I'm going to look and see if the pivot cavity is deformed at all.

I should note that the cup is not blown out, but being sliced up by the deformity in the plate, but clearly continued use will just shred the fuck out the cup. I reached out them via insta and they directed me to their contact page...even with clearly deformed cavity the answer was a pivot cup issue (with the pour) not the baseplate...it's plain as day....

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #4087 on: May 10, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
New frontiers in blowing it on a huge, hyped up product launch from Ace. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4088 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
New frontiers in blowing it on a huge, hyped up product launch from Ace. 

I'm pretty forgiving, products have defects and I'm guessing that it isn't widespread but I've seen the cavity deformity in another post in this thread so clearly there is a run out there that's fucked up...and really it isn't surprising coming from ACE.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4089 on: May 10, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
Took apart both trucks again (the truck with the cup shredding was the rear truck); Both plates have the issue and you can clearly see that's it due to a machining error as there is a 'swirl' mark leading directly from the 'nick' on the plate. The 'black residue' was present on the hanger pivot as well but it hadn't begun to creep out.

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

Back truck and rotated the cup to better see the 'nick':

Front plate (clearly not as bad but it's still there)

Both plates (front plate is the closest to the camera and you can clearly see the machining marks):

ACE got back to me real quick and are backing them by sending out another set and extra cups. They've also noted that they've seen a few of these cases (but said new cups solved it; not sure those that had the issue took them apart and saw what I saw and sent them pics). I was thanked for the pics as it will help them isolate/solve the issue in future runs (we can hope).

If anyone hasn't set them up, I'd highly suggest taking them apart and checking your cavities.

Also, they are under Mesa Dist., along with Uma.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:45:26 PM by Xen »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4090 on: May 10, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »
Iím still riding the classics, but I have the same issue with the nick in the pivot cavity causing my pivot cups to go to shit. Pair that with the loose kingpin and it makes for some squirrely situations when going fast.

That said, Iím still riding them and Iíve learned to deal with it. Itís an annoyance, but by no means catastrophic failure. It beats getting new trucks.

Not shitting on Ace either, theyíre by far the best feeling truck out there. Would be nice if they had better QC though

Urtripping

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4091 on: May 10, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
Really glad I don't have the machining error on the pivot cavities on either truck in my set of AF1's... would have been very bummed after all the anticipation
Quote from: veritas
Nakel took his pokemon fetish to the next level by evolving into a piece of united states currency.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4092 on: May 10, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
Took apart both trucks again (the truck with the cup shredding was the rear truck); Both plates have the issue and you can clearly see that's it due to a machining error as there is a 'swirl' mark leading directly from the 'nick' on the plate. The 'black residue' was present on the hanger pivot as well but it hadn't begun to creep out.

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

Both plates (front plate is the closest to the camera and you can clearly see the machining marks):

ACE got back to me real quick and are backing them by sending out another set and extra cups. They've also noted that they've seen a few of these cases (but said new cups solved it; not sure those that had the issue took them apart and saw what I saw and sent them pics). I was thanked for the pics as it will help them isolate/solve the issue in future runs (we can hope).

If anyone hasn't set them up, I'd highly suggest taking them apart and checking your cavities.

they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt itís going to fix the issue

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4093 on: May 10, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt it’s going to fix the issue

Another pair of AF1 55s and extra cups "for good measure"...baseplates that aren't fucked would have also been fine+new cups.

My guess is if you say my cups are fucked, they'll shoot you over new cups, hell of a lot cheaper than new trucks. If you have the plate issues I'd take some photos and get after them. I know @Murge had the exact issue I did before I set mine up.

I'm dismantling the replacement set to make sure there's not machining issues before I skate them.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #4094 on: May 10, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt itís going to fix the issue
[close]

Another pair of AF1 55s and extra cups "for good measure"...baseplates that aren't fucked would have also been fine+new cups.

My guess is if you say my cups are fucked, they'll shoot you over new cups, hell of a lot cheaper than new trucks. If you have the plate issues I'd take some photos and get after them. I know @Murge had the exact issue I did before I set mine up.

I'm dismantling the replacement set to make sure there's not machining issues before I skate them.

Thatís exactly what mine looked like. The nick on mine was smooth and not sharp almost like a dent. I only had one on the front truck. But they just sent me 4 pivot cups (2 sets) and a bunch of stickers. I did get them in the mail in only a few days. When I replaced the pivot cup I replaced the back truck  pivot cup too. The back truck seemed fine and so did the pivot cup cavity. I skated on them for an hour or 2 and havenít had another issue but I only got that one session in after changing the pivot cups. The replacement cups did seem harder than the stock ones.

Did ace send you a new baseplate @Xen? If so Iím gonna try and get a new baseplate too! Haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4095 on: May 10, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt it’s going to fix the issue
[close]

[close]

That’s exactly what mine looked like. The nick on mine was smooth and not sharp almost like a dent. I only had one on the front truck. But they just sent me 4 pivot cups (2 sets) and a bunch of stickers. I did get them in the mail in only a few days. When I replaced the pivot cup I replaced the back truck  pivot cup too. The back truck seemed fine and so did the pivot cup cavity. I skated on them for an hour or 2 and haven’t had another issue but I only got that one session in after changing the pivot cups. The replacement cups did seem harder than the stock ones.

Did ace send you a new baseplate @Xen? If so I’m gonna try and get a new baseplate too! Haha

They said they were sending a new pair of 55s and extra cups.

I’m going to skate the borked set but rotate the cups as a test case even tho I can already predict the outcome.

After the emails I got another response on Instagram that’s said it was a "known finishing issue and has since been corrected".... nothing like sending known issues out to the masses....

EDIT: @Murge just got a UPS notification that they are to be delivered tomorrow. That's good CS right there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:01:42 PM by Xen »

GlenSuggittsflexfit

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4096 on: May 10, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
I skate the classics and my kingpins always come loose. I have jb welded them but that only lasts a couple weeks then back to the rattle. Has anyone had an issue with this with the af1s?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4097 on: May 10, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
I skate the classics and my kingpins always come loose. I have jb welded them but that only lasts a couple weeks then back to the rattle. Has anyone had an issue with this with the af1s?

Not sure anyone here has put in enough hours yet? I'm hopeful the issue was rectified with hard metal?

Another thing I noted today on my first skate of the AF1s, they made my board sound dead (as some others have reported). I was running a new, never skated crispy Madness R7 board (epoxy/dwindle/DSM) these are always stiff and loud when you tap on crete/ollie them, paired with 101 Rictas (chattery wheels)+dry AF Spitfire classics bearings (these things are so damn fast I don't bother swapping to swiss six) that had play (not tightened to be snug) and skated on shitty terrain - with any other trucks it would have been tinny/rattly sounding.

palelight

• Rep: 105
« Reply #4098 on: May 10, 2021, 07:40:08 PM »
Xen, good lord, that last photo.... Looks like someone went at with a hand drill and a wood bit, no pivot cup is surviving that shit. Good to hear it's not a universal issue (and that they took care of you), manufacturing fuck ups happen and all, but that's pretty rough...literally.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #4099 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »
Xen, good lord, that last photo.... Looks like someone went at with a hand drill and a wood bit, no pivot cup is surviving that shit. Good to hear it's not a universal issue (and that they took care of you), manufacturing fuck ups happen and all, but that's pretty rough...literally.

I know right? At first the images I sent were the first I posted here, which didn't really show the issue (just the nick) so they're all "we'll get you some new pivot cups, send your address", then I sent them the second batch and said, yeah the machining is off look at these pics...then they were like "oh snap, yeah, I see that". Super friendly and responsive CS over at Mesa Dist. - I'll report back tomorrow once the second set arrives.

The inner 'drill marks' don't seem to be the issue, they're smooth, it's the dent...hanger leans into that spot and pushes/deforms the cup into it; it's not smooth so it catches (you can feel it run when you run your finger over it. I'm assuming that's what the other truck wasn't affected because the dent is smaller and smooth. I'm going to file it down and put a spot of JB weld in there, rotate the cup and give it half an hour or so on some slappies.

That's shit QC tho, we can all see it, surely someone slacked off or the level of acceptable is just shit in the factory.

manysnakes

• Rep: 57
« Reply #4100 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:49 AM »

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

I appreciate the photos. I was interested in seeing the pivot cups because I figured that the issue was going to be something external cutting into the cup, since the process of making an 8mm plastic cup is a lot simpler and easier to do than boring a perfectly smooth hole for it to sit in.

Hopefully this is just a stumbling block for Ace and they're able to get new baseplates out to everyone affected. It doesn't seem to be too widespread, because I know a couple of people who rushed out to buy AF1s and they have had no issues, but then again, the average Slap reader is probably paying more attention than most.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #4101 on: May 11, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »

Hereís the front truck pivot cavity from my 66s I posted about earlier.

And the busted pivot cup bushing.

Cavity looks more dented than poorly machined. Back truck cavity and bushing was fine as were both on my 55s.

Iíll send Ace a message about this and see what comes of it. Iíll skate the trucks normally until then though. Canít be bothered changing the shit up as it still all works fine.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4102 on: May 11, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
Isnít that dent done by the hanger digging into it? Like when carving deep the part that goes into the pivot slams the sides and creates the dent. I remember a few years back in my first set of aces 33 the pivot cavity was getting wider and turning oval with a lot of wiggle room. They actually started turning like shit after that. Then I got axle slip on both trucks a bit after and gave them away.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #4103 on: May 11, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
Has anyone tried the old  base plates with the new hangers and bushings?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1006
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4104 on: May 11, 2021, 01:10:37 PM »
Has anyone tried the old  base plates with the new hangers and bushings?
I asked a few posts up. Still no takers I guess.
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4105 on: May 11, 2021, 01:22:15 PM »
always first...to have an issue. god damn ace, how embarrassing after all the hype. some of you guys might need to switch to krux or something that's gender non-conforming, too. joey t been posting anti-israel and anti-vax stuff on his stories. ;D

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #4106 on: May 11, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
always first...to have an issue. god damn ace, how embarrassing after all the hype. some of you guys might need to switch to krux or something that's gender non-conforming, too. joey t been posting anti-israel and anti-vax stuff on his stories. ;D

Ace stuff aside, because I dont care and I'm not having a problem with mine, you're a fucking kook of the highest order. The saddest part is you're probably a guy in at least their mid-30s.
ok thanks

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 366
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #4107 on: May 11, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »
It seems pretty clear that Ace may have screwed more than a few pooches in the QC dept with this roll out.
Itís even more clear that username Toey Jershay = Rhino.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #4108 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
It seems pretty clear that Ace may have screwed more than a few pooches in the QC dept with this roll out.

Someone should film themselves throwing a tantrum in the parking lot of Ace headquarters

#FuckAceTrucks #neverbuyingfromacetrucksagain
#FuckHometDepot #neverbuyingfromhomedepotagain

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #4109 on: May 11, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Someone should film themselves throwing a tantrum in the parking lot of Ace headquarters

#FuckAceTrucks #neverbuyingfromacetrucksagain

I thought you were talking about Ace Hardware for a minute and I was like, damn, that guy's gonna run out of hardware stores to get pissed at.