Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738851 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4680 on: October 05, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »
I've had three sets of classic 44s, two sets of classic 55s, 1 set of AF1 55s and 1 set of AF1 66s and have had zero issues with pivot cups. I am 200lbs, ride loose trucks and like to smash curbs and slash tight transition. I would give them a go and only worry about replacing the cups if you shred them as other people have.

Uh Oh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #4681 on: October 05, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Some of the hottest SLAP action in awhile and it goes down in the ACE trucks thread.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4682 on: October 05, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know if I’m quite ready to trust someone riding an element deck in 2021, but it’s good to see it’s not all doom and gloom on these last few pages. I have a pair of AF1 55s that I’ve been meaning to setup but every time I check this thread I start to self doubt my decision…
[close]

1) You have a problem with my deck? It's a popsicle board. With the exception of something like Powell's 'Flight' decks, once you get past $50, there really isn't much difference in any of them. They all get 'private labeled' out the same factory in China with different graphics applied for the customer's brand name. My Element is no different than your Baker, Creature or Plan B but go ahead and bash me if it makes you happy.
2) You actually bought trucks or ANY gear and...you didn't install it within seconds of getting it and ride the sh!t out of it until the sun went down? Do you admire them on a shelf like some 'Objet d'art'? Do you dust them off occasionally?  ;D
and YOU are criticizing ME? REALLY?!  ::)
[close]

TBH man, I think he was just teasing you a bit because Element isn't a very cool brand anymore. It's usually better to roll with it than to dig in deep, defending your board choice. No one really cared, but when you start swinging at a gentle ribbing, you come off looking needlessly aggressive.
For real. And, that said, considering all the wack brands and graphics people ride just because the board is the “right” dimensions, simply responding “it’s the longest 8.5 I could find” at the beginning instead of freaking the fuck out would’ve probably ended things right there. Hell, someone who shares the same need for long 8.5s would’ve probably just linked you to some other shapes you’d probably enjoy (or, like, a thread that discusses deck length as opposed to Ace trucks) and that would’ve been it.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #4683 on: October 05, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »
You're out of your Element, Lhotse!!   8) ::)
Super Champion Fun Zone

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4684 on: October 05, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »
3 months on af1 66 no issues

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #4685 on: October 05, 2021, 01:07:25 PM »
What the McFuck happened in here.

IpathCats

« Reply #4686 on: October 05, 2021, 01:09:20 PM »
What the McFuck happened in here.

Some dude just had one of the worst days of his retirement. He's probably so confused right now.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2152
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4687 on: October 05, 2021, 01:31:12 PM »
To borrow from @pugmaster, ”Dag Gum It!”
It appears I missed all the fun.
Can’t believe that I’ve slept on this thread for long enough to miss all of the Lhotse fireworks.
Homey really is making the rest of us older dudes, who actually still take this shit seriously, look pretty bad.
I’m sorry to all of you on behalf of the aged.
Not as sorry as I feel about missing out on this awesome, minor slice of SLAP history.
Truly an epic read.
Great stuff PALS.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4688 on: October 05, 2021, 01:49:23 PM »
To borrow from @pugmaster, ”Dag Gum It!”
It appears I missed all the fun.
Can’t believe that I’ve slept on this thread for long enough to miss all of the Lhotse fireworks.
Homey really is making the rest of us older dudes, who actually still take this shit seriously, look pretty bad.
I’m sorry to all of you on behalf of the aged.
Not as sorry as I feel about missing out on this awesome, minor slice of SLAP history.
Truly an epic read.
Great stuff PALS.

on some Amazon dot com type shit, if you liked this thread, you may also enjoy:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118756.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3651415#msg3651415

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #4689 on: October 05, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4690 on: October 05, 2021, 04:40:59 PM »
I got two sets of the new Ace hard bushings today, and they feel exactly the same as the stock ones. Just putting that out there. Pardon the interruption.  ;D
Is it possible they take a second to firm up? I know that most of the Indy 94a bushings seem to be like that. I usually stand on my board and rock back and forth for a half an hour before I call them good
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4691 on: October 05, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I got two sets of the new Ace hard bushings today, and they feel exactly the same as the stock ones. Just putting that out there. Pardon the interruption.  ;D
[close]

Is it possible they take a second to firm up? I know that most of the Indy 94a bushings seem to be like that. I usually stand on my board and rock back and forth for a half an hour before I call them good

Yeah the Ace Hard bushings don’t feel different to me either aside from being more squeaky. Hopefully they’ll firm up.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #4692 on: October 05, 2021, 06:38:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah the Ace Hard bushings don’t feel different to me either aside from being more squeaky. Hopefully they’ll firm up.
I honestly don't even think it's the bushings, but the pivot cups.  Seeing how everyone had problems with them  ripping, I put in some old Indy pivot cups and it doesn't seem so soft and loose anymore.  Killed 2 birds with 1 stone for me.

Fhk

« Reply #4693 on: October 05, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe after a few sessions? I rocked back in forth for my whole lunch break, before I posted and There was no resistance at all. Pretty bummed because I had high hopes.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4694 on: October 05, 2021, 07:45:51 PM »
Dude, you need a good Persian Rug in your attic space to rock those new AF1s back and fore on for a few nights before hitting the streets.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4695 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Maybe after a few sessions? I rocked back in forth for my whole lunch break, before I posted and There was no resistance at all. Pretty bummed because I had high hopes.
Real bummer to hear although I had already tried the Indy blacks in them and found them pretty unstable. They're fine for me with Bones hards so I guess that's the move still.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4696 on: October 05, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »
Happy Ace af1 owner here. Rode them all summer. No cup issues. I'm only 140lbs so maybe that plays a part. 🤷‍♂️

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4697 on: October 05, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »
New to the forum. Came to post my experience using AF1's for about four months.
    A little about me: I skated as a kid in Upstate NY for a couple summers in the early 90's and learned to cruise. There were no skaters in my area so I eventually moved on. Picked back up in 2021 after teaching yoga for a few years which brought me to trying various balance boards and poses (also a carpenter/plumber/jack). At age 40 I started bombing empty parking garages (closed for COVID) learning to slide, revert and such.
    Setups I have tried: Started on a street deck, went on to a cruiser, tried a longboard (36" wheelbase drop through) settled on decks with a 15.25 wheelbase. I fell in love with high speed turning and easily initiating slides which felt stable on wider cruiser decks with longer wheelbases. Craving the perfect carve gave me truck madness.
    Truck madness begins: Started with Thunder 149's on the street deck, cruiser came with Krux K4 9.0 axle (wheelbite city), I purchased Thunder 161's to replace Krux. Thought I liked tight trucks in the beginning, tried Bones Hardcore bushings in both sets of Thunders which had me leaning hard into turns to make the board do what I wanted. I began carving pools at skateparks and trying out beginner tricks. Viewing Ben Degros on YouTube brought me to understand the importance of wheelbase in relation to kicktail steepness and "fingers of flat" from the drill holes to kicks. It clicked that I needed to slightly shorten my wheelbase on my preferred decks to lighten up the kicks a little, which brought me to try Ace AF1's.
    My experience with AF1's: Oh my Aces are looser then anything I had tried prior (the longboard was close but had a wide turn). Rode the AF1's with stock bushings which felt crazy yet stable at the same time. Eventually I noticed the small cup washers bite into the hanger so I swapped them out for flat. Wheelbite really pisses me off, so does squeaking, so I started to play with bushings and lubricants to keep that amazing turn while reducing wheelbite and eliminating squeaking.
    The madness takes hold: Tried all three Bones flavors, tried Krux, tried various combos of all the bushings/washers I had using a micrometer to maintain stock geometry (washers are cheap and can be filed down). After two months of playing around I learned that Bones soft separates from its hard core and Ace bushings split in all but my front truck roadside position. I kept craving looser and looser trucks that resisted wheelbite and eventually found a seemingly perfect bushing combo for how I skate.
    What works well for me: Front truck boardside is a Riptide .6” 80a barrel APS formula, roadside is a stock Ace 91a cone with super thin flat washer. Back truck boardside is a 90a APS barrel, roadside is a Bones medium (91a) hardcore cone with a thick flat washer (zero threads showing on both kingpins, I am 5’9, 150lbs, I use 56-60mm wheels with .25 risers, 78-80a or 97-99a). Boardside bushings under 80a split in my front truck, so does anything under 90a in the back. This combo has not split in over two months of daily use and yields a super responsive turn that is very stable at high speed (the only time I had speed wobbles was while pushing on a flat section of a parking garage while escaping a security guard chasing me in a car, once both feet were back on the wobble went away). Now I had the carve/stability I was after, however living in a desert zone dust had an effect on bushing performance which had my setup feeling stiffer the dustier it became, I had to find a solution.
    My experience with lubricants: Tried oil, tried wax, tried graphite, tried soap flakes and they all had issues. So I brewed up a solution of dye/fragrance free bar soap dissolved in water. I funneled soap shavings into a bottle and kept adding water a little at a time until all soap dissolved to have the maximum soap to water ratio, it has been a game changer. One drop in each pivot, one drop in each top bushing does the trick (no need to remove hanger, I may do this three times on a day I skate a bunch). The solution dries up quickly flaking away most dust while leaving enough residue to lubricate the urethane and stop the washers from clicking. This is all the bushings/washers needed, however the pivot cup needed some extra love when after a month it squeaked no matter how many drops I added. After more research I began to use a minuscule dab of white lithium grease after thoroughly cleaning the pivot cups. The grease lasts for about a month even after cleaning out the pivot a few times, but still require a drop of soap solution on occasion to push out the dust/grime. My pivot cups have not ripped or melted after a lot of use over four months (however I a am a new skater and do not go as gnar as possible at age 40 so your experience with durability may differ). The pivots have loosened up over time which has only improved my balance (just received replacement cups from Ace, though I'll ride the first set till they fail).
    In conclusion I really love the AF1’s, I would try Classics but I imagine if I wanted to go into street skating I would prefer play around with more stable trucks and try various other brands. However due to the degree of injury it requires to learn street I’ll most likely stick to bowls and hills for awhile.
Now I feel better having shared my truck nerdieness.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:55:05 AM by FrankRizzo »

Fhk

« Reply #4698 on: October 06, 2021, 03:56:14 AM »
Dude, you need a good Persian Rug in your attic space to rock those new AF1s back and fore on for a few nights before hitting the streets.
Ok I ordered one, but where should I post the footage?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Real bummer to hear although I had already tried the Indy blacks in them and found them pretty unstable. They're fine for me with Bones hards so I guess that's the move still.
Yeah I will give them a couple hours and if they still suck I will go back to Bones hards.
Edit: After another 20 minutes of rocking (w/o the Persian rug) they stiffened up.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:49:31 PM by Seventyfuhkinseven »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4699 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:09 AM »
What is your go-to iHOP order @Lhotse? Myself, I like saying "rooty-tooty-fresh-n-fruity" out loud, but when it comes down to it, you can bet your bottom dollar I order the sampler with a side of biscuits and gravy.

All of this brings me to my next point:
What ever happened to good ol' fashioned family fun? Heck, every Wednesday night as a kid we'd have family board game night. We'd order in pizza or some other type of take out and just really get to know each other.  Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk, you name it.  Charades was a family classic at the pugmaster household*!

So much has changed... smart phones have everyone like zombies these days. Even at the Elk's lodge!  I'm like, "everyone, put down that DAG GUM** PHONE!" Makes me fit to be tied!

*Before the divorce
**I actually say God damn

POTY

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4700 on: October 06, 2021, 10:22:12 AM »
I got my AF1 66 about a week after they were released. My initial complaints were the mushy pivot cup and that they didn’t grind well on metal. It’s probably been around 6 months now. I’m still on my original pivot cups and they’ve firmed up a bit since. The grind on metal has gotten better now that the hanger has been worn down and grooved.

I loved my classics but they just weren’t durable. So far my AF1s have proven themselves a lot more durable than the classics. I was considering going back to Independent after my issues with classics, but AF1s came around at just the right time. For now I’m still on team Ace

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4701 on: October 06, 2021, 11:44:56 AM »
No posts from @Lhotse today?  :'(

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4702 on: October 06, 2021, 05:49:04 PM »
i no joke split my elbow open skating the janky bowl in the northampton skatepark aka “the pit” like a month ago. it’s not that gnarly, i skated it padless.

i was on indys tho :(

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4703 on: October 06, 2021, 06:24:18 PM »
i no joke split my elbow open skating the janky bowl in the northampton skatepark aka “the pit” like a month ago. it’s not that gnarly, i skated it padless.

i was on indys tho :(

Wouldn't have happened on some Caliber IIIs
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4704 on: October 06, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
it was not a truck related mishap, no amount of precision engineering would have saved me

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4705 on: October 06, 2021, 06:30:35 PM »
it was not a truck related mishap, no amount of precision engineering would have saved me

SWISS engineering though?!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4706 on: October 06, 2021, 06:43:13 PM »
i will say it’s not the most awesome pool nor do i think it’s purpose built for skating..

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4707 on: October 07, 2021, 03:58:09 AM »
Damn, just noticed that one of my pivot cups is starting to tear, after about 4 sessions on them. Bummed, but I like the way the AF1 turns. Does anyone have any experience replacing them with Ace Classic or Indy cups?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4708 on: October 07, 2021, 03:58:50 AM »
Damn, just noticed that one of my pivot cups is starting to tear, after about 4 sessions on them. Bummed, but I like the way the AF1 turns. Does anyone have any experience replacing them with Ace Classic or Indy cups?

I replaced my AF1 front pivot cup for an ace classic a couple months ago, some wiggle but works well.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4709 on: October 07, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I replaced my AF1 front pivot cup for an ace classic a couple months ago, some wiggle but works well.

Tried both and the Indy cups seemed to be the best fit. Less wiggle than the classics. Now I hope it's just Aces stock pivot cups having bad QC and not the geometry of the truck that's making them tear.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it