Author Topic: Things You Pondered Today  (Read 574916 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Things You Pondered Today
« Reply #5220 on: October 08, 2021, 09:51:16 PM »
I really need to just save up my money and buy my own cement mixer. As much fun as it may be to mix with a shovel, I want to get creative and it's going to save time. Looks like I'm on the wagon and avoiding the sale thread.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5221 on: October 09, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »
I really need to just save up my money and buy my own cement mixer. As much fun as it may be to mix with a shovel, I want to get creative and it's going to save time. Looks like I'm on the wagon and avoiding the sale thread.

Dude, anything less than 6 bags and I’d rather do it by hand in a tub or wheelbarrow. General contractor I’ve been working for a lot has a mixer and it’s a PITA to move and clean. Pro tip: a hoe is quicker than a shovel.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5222 on: October 10, 2021, 12:08:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude, anything less than 6 bags and I’d rather do it by hand in a tub or wheelbarrow. General contractor I’ve been working for a lot has a mixer and it’s a PITA to move and clean. Pro tip: a hoe is quicker than a shovel.

These mixers are sick

foto hosting

Don’t have to get this exact brand, they’re expensive
But this style is the go it’s real easy to wheel it around and one person can put it on the stand, you just put the tripod on when it’s lying down and stand it up and same in reverse to get it off the stand

They’re easy to clean too

For small mixes you can legit do em bucket by bucket with a half decent mixing drill, it’s easy as that way

Edit

Maybe I am a poosay but for anything bigger you’d just get readymix in or like a concrete truck as if you would break your back

I broke myself off today helping out a family friend
Been trying to ditch the job for two years cunt didn’t wanna re sheet full got bullied into doing it by family what a shitshow
Fully rendered these walls fucking mess and tiled it mint as but just happened to lose my fucking mind in the process
Making chicken salad out of chicken shit is a waste of time
I forgot to say it was this upstairs bathroom everything had to be carried up it was stupid
Domestic jobs are nowhere holy shit

I had this milk bath for two hours and I still feel like pure shit
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:37:54 AM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5223 on: October 10, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »
The letter W is dumb. Double e and double O aren't their own letters.
letter Q shouldn't need a u after it we know it makes a kw sound.
The letter C should always make a ch sound and we should just use S and K when needed eg circle would be sirkel.

beandemon

« Reply #5224 on: October 10, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These mixers are sick

foto hosting

Don’t have to get this exact brand, they’re expensive
But this style is the go it’s real easy to wheel it around and one person can put it on the stand, you just put the tripod on when it’s lying down and stand it up and same in reverse to get it off the stand

They’re easy to clean too

For small mixes you can legit do em bucket by bucket with a half decent mixing drill, it’s easy as that way

Edit

Maybe I am a poosay but for anything bigger you’d just get readymix in or like a concrete truck as if you would break your back

I broke myself off today helping out a family friend
Been trying to ditch the job for two years cunt didn’t wanna re sheet full got bullied into doing it by family what a shitshow
Fully rendered these walls fucking mess and tiled it mint as but just happened to lose my fucking mind in the process
Making chicken salad out of chicken shit is a waste of time
I forgot to say it was this upstairs bathroom everything had to be carried up it was stupid
Domestic jobs are nowhere holy shit

I had this milk bath for two hours and I still feel like pure shit

Vast majority of the jobs I’m on are residential, and usually just a few bags of this or that. Access to power and water/place to clean it out plus the space the mixer takes in the truck/trailer means buckets are just easier.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5225 on: October 10, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I read an article recently that explained how the saxophone is dying and it's not used in modern music any longer. How it's become this weird cliche, trite, mocked instrument. I think that's a fucking shame, personally.
[close]
thats definitely a shame because people just listen to beepboopbop electronic noise and autotune now. world got dumber
[close]

If you like post punk, check out a lot of the new bands coming out of the UK. I feel like the sax has made it's way into a lot of that stuff lately, or at least enough for me to notice. Check out Squids last album.
And here's some heavy metal saxophone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBoseBtsoWA

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #5226 on: October 11, 2021, 07:38:30 AM »
i need a leaf blower

beandemon

« Reply #5227 on: October 11, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »
i need a leaf blower

For spots or the yard?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5228 on: October 11, 2021, 06:31:49 PM »
for the spot. shit would take 2 minutes instead of almost an hour every day plus blisters

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #5229 on: October 12, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »
The term “woke” is going through a very similar trajectory as hipster did in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. Where it meant something very specific and through constant derogatory use by middle America became something completely different years later.

Hipster in 2005- a young person apart of the downtown Manhattan or West Hollywood nightlife scenes

Hipster in 2011 - a white person under 40 who shops at Trader Joe’s, or any minority that doesn’t fit a stereotype.

Woke in 2015- a Umar Johnson looking motherfucker who reads Afrocentric books, watches low budget documentaries, and has an amazing diet

Woke in 2021 - a white person under 40 who shops at Trader Joe’s, or any minority that complains to HR.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5230 on: October 13, 2021, 07:03:41 AM »
the original term was for self imposed poverty types leeching on alternative lifestyles. earlier in the century idk if they were pretentious gentrifiers though

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #5231 on: October 13, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »
letter Q shouldn't need a u after it we know it makes a kw sound.
The letter C should always make a ch sound and we should just use S and K when needed eg circle would be sirkel.

has anyone ever heard or seen "www" referred to as "triple double u"?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5232 on: October 14, 2021, 08:16:52 AM »
the end is nigh

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #5233 on: October 15, 2021, 03:12:10 AM »
Wonder if when I was logging maple did any of it ever end up as a decks.

I'm sure.  A lot of Marc Johnson's and HSU's

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5234 on: October 15, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »
fkn rain. i was about to go sk8 after hanging laundry

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5235 on: October 18, 2021, 01:17:16 AM »
Full just read this thing where they said they got the mould for a trillion dollar coin ready to go so if they need to they can just make a trillion bucks out of thin air

That’s full gotta go on the list with monopoly on violence, being able to just conjure money

I’m not much of a businessman ay, seems cooked to me
listen to cosmic psychos

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5236 on: October 18, 2021, 01:22:33 AM »
Fuck imagine losing a trillion dollars just because a coin fell out your pocket.
You'd want it to be the size of a hubcap.

mushroom slice

« Reply #5237 on: October 18, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
A.I freaks me out. Has anyone ever stopped and asked themselves if we should be putting the burden of conciseness on machines? Robots are not asking for this. I never heard a robot ask a human for this. This seems wrong.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #5238 on: October 18, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
A.I freaks me out. Has anyone ever stopped and asked themselves if we should be putting the burden of conciseness on machines? Robots are not asking for this. I never heard a robot ask a human for this. This seems wrong.

Would it be okay to make conscious robots if they were all mystics?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5239 on: October 18, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »
Fuck imagine losing a trillion dollars just because a coin fell out your pocket.
You'd want it to be the size of a hubcap.

That reminds me of this joke where it’s a wedding reception and the brides dad is maggot trying to pay for everyones’s drinks with bottle tops and the groom says to the barman just go along with it bro, I’ll fix it all up at the end

Hours later and the barman’s all yeah I need the money
And the bloke says have you got change for a hubcap
listen to cosmic psychos

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5240 on: October 18, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
theyve already openly stated that they will try to take over the world

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5241 on: October 18, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »

should be called double v anyways
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

hustleknocker

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5242 on: October 18, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
holy shit what happened with terry kennedy? free him

mushroom slice

« Reply #5243 on: October 18, 2021, 02:39:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess. Lotsa mystics out there these days. I didn’t mean any offend 4lom if it makes peace my favorite bounty hunter was always zuckass. If I see boba fettt I will blast him for you.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5244 on: October 18, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I guess. Lotsa mystics out there these days. I didn’t mean any offend 4lom if it makes peace my favorite bounty hunter was always zuckass. If I see boba fettt I will blast him for you.

Maybe a lot of people say they are, but it would show in their behavior - impartial compassion, equanimity of views - which is rare

I just thought mystical experiences are maximally rewarding, so not a burden but a blessing. Making AI Buddhas is not a harm to them.

But if regular consciousness is a burden, doesn’t your crit apply to having children? They don’t ask to be saddled with the absurdity of life.

Do we harm children by bringing them into existence?

mushroom slice

« Reply #5245 on: October 18, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »
One Buddha is enough. If he didn’t get the message across I don’t think multiple Buddha’s will. If you meet the Buddha you kill the Buddha.
Human program says make more. I dunno. Ask a 30 year old woman why. I’m not programmed like that. Yes we harm people by bringing them into this realm.no one wants to be born. The thing that is different for a human and a robot is the human battery dosnt last forever. Humans are temporary. Robots can “live” forever. The day a human can live forever is the day the human is no longer human. An endless stream of conciseness never shutting off for ever is an actual hell. I would never wish that on a robot or a human.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #5246 on: October 18, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Maybe a lot of people say they are, but it would show in their behavior - impartial compassion, equanimity of views - which is rare

I just thought mystical experiences are maximally rewarding, so not a burden but a blessing. Making AI Buddhas is not a harm to them.

But if regular consciousness is a burden, doesn’t your crit apply to having children? They don’t ask to be saddled with the absurdity of life.

Do we harm children by bringing them into existence?

I’m pretty sure a lot of serious Buddhists see life as a cycle compromised mainly of suffering. So to bring a child into the world is to force them into said suffering, a serious faux pas. (Any Buddhists out there please correct me if I’m wrong with this generalization.)

The personal question WRT kiddies would seem to be, does suffering outweigh pleasure in life, and if so, are we willing to subject another person to that suffering in order to chance an experience or two of pleasure?

IMO, from the Buddhist take, robot consciousness and child conception are pretty much the same thing in terms of suffering and life, ie both are no good.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5247 on: October 19, 2021, 09:04:07 AM »
^^^^^^
I didn’t mean to bring in Buddhist metaphysics/psychology. Just that there are states of consciousness that are not a hassle.

Buddhist enlightenment is one, also Maslow’s peak experiences, kensho, moksha, various mystical traditions.

These involve self-transcendence, non-attachment, ego-loss. So, if we create conscious robots that lack a self, then we do not create consciousness that is suffering, but consciousness that is free from the dissatisfactions of consciousness.

A problem is that we’ll never know whether robots are conscious.
None of us know whether anybody else is conscious, since everyone’s experience is consistent with their being the only conscious being and everyone else dark inside.

If we don’t know whether the people around us are conscious, we’ll never know whether our smart toaster is.

mushroom slice

« Reply #5248 on: October 19, 2021, 09:36:43 AM »
^^^^^^
I didn’t mean to bring in Buddhist metaphysics/psychology. Just that there are states of consciousness that are not a hassle.

Buddhist enlightenment is one, also Maslow’s peak experiences, kensho, moksha, various mystical traditions.

These involve self-transcendence, non-attachment, ego-loss. So, if we create conscious robots that lack a self, then we do not create consciousness that is suffering, but consciousness that is free from the dissatisfactions of consciousness.

None of us know whether anybody else is conscious, since everyone’s experience is consistent with their being the only conscious being and everyone else dark inside.

If we don’t know whether the people around us are conscious, we’ll never know whether our smart toaster is.

I don’t know about this. To assume that I am somehow more special then everyone else around me and that this whole universe just happened to show up the minute I got here for me and me alone dosnt make any sense. Truthfully if anything I think the entire universe is actually conscious and we are all the parts of it trying to see what the fuck we all are.  We will all see it different because of our own unique perspectives but truthfully we are all looking at the same thing. Us.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5249 on: October 19, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
^^^^^^

[close]

I don’t know about this. To assume that I am somehow more special then everyone else around me and that this whole universe just happened to show up the minute I got here for me and me alone dosnt make any sense. Truthfully if anything I think the entire universe is actually conscious and we are all the parts of it trying to see what the fuck we all are.  We will all see it different because of our own unique perspectives but truthfully we are all looking at the same thing. Us.

Consciousness is the only thing you can know directly, the only thing known for certain, everything else is inference. There might be a material world, but you're trusting that your mental representations accurately represent a world independent of your mind. And there's no way to do that, since all you have are mental representations.

It's Descartes - you can doubt everything, except that you're thinking. To doubt is to think, so when you doubt you're thinking you prove it.

Why think the universe is conscious?
I'm sympathetic - I'm pushing mysticism for robots after all - but unsure.