Author Topic: real confessions  (Read 1734645 times)

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: real confessions
« Reply #10260 on: October 06, 2021, 05:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
My confession: other than two Black flag songs, I can't stand punk.
[close]
on the flip side of that: I fucking love punk, but there’s probably only two black flag songs I can actually stand

Since I listen to worst shit ever I don't judge you, my dude.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #10261 on: October 06, 2021, 05:58:50 AM »
Heres one I’ve always kept close to the chest, when I was a baby I looked like a spitting image of Ross Perot.

I love black flag, and Rollins as a person (went to his house once). That being said, I think he was far from the best singer black flag had and the no policy ep from when he was in state of alert absolutely crushes anything he released with black flag.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #10262 on: October 06, 2021, 06:52:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
on the flip side of that: I fucking love punk, but there’s probably only two black flag songs I can actually stand

I've never been able to get into black flag either, despite the fact that they've influenced so many bands I love.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #10263 on: October 06, 2021, 07:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've never been able to get into black flag either, despite the fact that they've influenced so many bands I love.

I’ve never gotten into Black Flag nor Bad Brains. I prefer Sex Pistols to both of them. Which I know is a super hot take among punk music fans.

charge

• Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10264 on: October 06, 2021, 08:41:16 AM »
Heres one I’ve always kept close to the chest, when I was a baby I looked like a spitting image of Ross Perot.

I love black flag, and Rollins as a person (went to his house once). That being said, I think he was far from the best singer black flag had and the no policy ep from when he was in state of alert absolutely crushes anything he released with black flag.

soa does indeed rip. i feel you on him not being the best of their singers. but you can't deny the damaged LP has a certain power behind it none of the other singles or EPs had before or after....

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10265 on: October 06, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

soa does indeed rip. i feel you on him not being the best of their singers. but you can't deny the damaged LP has a certain power behind it none of the other singles or EPs had before or after....

Ya, damaged is good for sure, as is my war. But I constantly revisit the jealous again and six pack ep’s as wel as everything went black. Very rarely over the last 15 years have I just been aching to hear damaged.

I think that Chavo is the best singer they had, then Dez, then Rollins.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #10266 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ya, damaged is good for sure, as is my war. But I constantly revisit the jealous again and six pack ep’s as wel as everything went black. Very rarely over the last 15 years have I just been aching to hear damaged.

I honestly haven't listened to a ton of black flag, but I love Henry in general

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #10267 on: October 06, 2021, 12:37:21 PM »
I don’t like the word “skater.”
What about if you spelt it "sk8er"?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #10268 on: October 06, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I’ve never gotten into Black Flag nor Bad Brains. I prefer Sex Pistols to both of them. Which I know is a super hot take among punk music fans.

Nothing wrong with the Pistols. Nevermind the Bollocks is a classic, fuck what anyone else says.
Bad Brains is one of those bands that I specifically remember the first time I heard them. It was one of those "this is what I've been looking for" sounds.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #10269 on: October 06, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nothing wrong with the Pistols. Nevermind the Bollocks is a classic, fuck what anyone else says.
Bad Brains is one of those bands that I specifically remember the first time I heard them. It was one of those "this is what I've been looking for" sounds.

That’s the feeling I had when I first heard Jesse sing “I know things are getting tougher…” two seconds into energy.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10270 on: October 06, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s the feeling I had when I first heard Jesse sing “I know things are getting tougher…” two seconds into energy.

Milo Goes to College may be the tightest So Cal punk rock album of the 1st wave. Also, Black Flag First Four Years will make anyone a believer…

charge

• Rep: 17
« Reply #10271 on: October 06, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Always loved their covers. No fun. Substitute. No lip. Stepping stone. Great choices in covers.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10272 on: October 06, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer Morris, but I fee like Dez brought the first wave of heaviness to the band. Rollins era really turned me off for the most part. it felt depressed and I wasn't a depressed kid.

all the bands have a place in my <3 but really the only punk band from that era that I still enjoy listening to regularly is the Minutemen. fucking corndogs...

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #10273 on: October 06, 2021, 11:11:23 PM »
Pistols were awesome. Punks seem very split down the middle whether they appreciate them or not. I can't listen to much old US hardcore anymore though but still have time for Crucifix, Necros, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags and a few others. I really prefer the early European/Japanese/Aus/NZ stuff instead.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #10274 on: October 06, 2021, 11:45:59 PM »
Aloha Steve and danno
listen to cosmic psychos

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #10275 on: October 07, 2021, 01:44:37 AM »
I’ve been passionate about two things since early high school; Hardcore and Skating.

But for some weird reason I never cross the two - like I’ve never contributed to the dedication thread about hardcore music and I would never skate in a Knocked Loose shirt.. If I was going to a show I would never wear my thrasher hat.

Even though the two cultures have similarities and definitely have cross over tendencies - I’ve just always kept them separate. This is weird to even type haha

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #10276 on: October 07, 2021, 06:53:05 AM »
I’ve been passionate about two things since early high school; Hardcore and Skating.

But for some weird reason I never cross the two - like I’ve never contributed to the dedication thread about hardcore music and I would never skate in a Knocked Loose shirt.. If I was going to a show I would never wear my thrasher hat.

Even though the two cultures have similarities and definitely have cross over tendencies - I’ve just always kept them separate. This is weird to even type haha

I saw Knocked Loose before COVID… and I’m pretty sure I was wearing my thrasher hat. And my thrasher hat has a Pallbearer pin on it so it was real multi-cultural affair.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10277 on: October 07, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
Aloha Steve and danno

steve, i wanna say thank you for all you've done for me

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10278 on: October 07, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I saw Knocked Loose before COVID… and I’m pretty sure I was wearing my thrasher hat. And my thrasher hat has a Pallbearer pin on it so it was real multi-cultural affair.

Jealous - I love them so much, being in Oz, I missed the only time they came over. Kinda bummed Ill never get to see them at a smaller more traditional show setting since they’ve blown up.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10279 on: October 07, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »

I feel the same way about skating and black metal. Been involved with both since high school (I'm 39), but I think mixing the two is almost always pretty corny. I'll occasionally post in the black metal thread on here, but that is about as far as it goes.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10280 on: October 07, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel the same way about skating and black metal. Been involved with both since high school (I'm 39), but I think mixing the two is almost always pretty corny. I'll occasionally post in the black metal thread on here, but that is about as far as it goes.

HA - Nice to know I’m not alone! I know what you mean about it being kinda corny. When I see Chris Cole skating in an ETID shirt I cringe even though I love that band haha.

Bupstop

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10281 on: October 07, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »

I agree with all of your takes on Rollins and Black Flag. I think I like Reyes’ vocals the best and I’ve always liked SOA more than any of Rollins’ Black Flag output. I will say that later era Black Flag has grown on me.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10282 on: October 07, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with all of your takes on Rollins and Black Flag. I think I like Reyes’ vocals the best and I’ve always liked SOA more than any of Rollins’ Black Flag output. I will say that later era Black Flag has grown on me.

First things first, welcome!

Your post also reminded me that I have a tendency to discount more of their discography than I should. Because I do absolutely enjoy a few later records, slip it in, family man, and the process of weeding out in particular.

Have a gnar and stick around  @Bupstop

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #10283 on: October 08, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
The first time I got pulled over for speeding, Police Story was blasting from my open window before I realized that the cop was almost at my door. Had to turn it down real quick.

Black Flag literally saved my life one night. My first college girlfriend had been playing His Name is Alive on my car stereo as we were returning to Athens from Atlanta after seeing a show. I was falling asleep at the wheel from her music so I threw in Everything Went Black to wake me up. A minute later a gang of deer ran in front of my car and I was alert enough to slam on my brakes. Thanks Black Flag.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #10284 on: October 08, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »
I am the originator of "a tragic" and i am not ashamed of my (as it seems) poor english skills.
luv ya guyz. let it live on.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #10285 on: October 08, 2021, 06:07:47 PM »
I thought I was the only person who loves punk rock and doesn’t really give a shit about Black Flag. I’ve only ever told a couple people that. Truly like a confession. I think they were a time and place thing I don’t get. I understand why the Ramones were important despite their music sounding like children’s music by today’s standards. But Black Flag just sounds like sloppy musicians that can’t write a catchy hook. Maybe they really were groundbreaking back then and I’ve heard too many bands that were influenced by them and did it better, but I just can’t get way into it. There’s a few killer tunes but I could probably think of a couple hundred bands I like better.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10286 on: October 08, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
I am the originator of "a tragic" and i am not ashamed of my (as it seems) poor english skills.
luv ya guyz. let it live on.

thank you for this classic phrase

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #10287 on: October 08, 2021, 08:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t like the word “skater.”
[close]
What about if you spelt it "sk8er"?

Well then I love it. Avril and the early 2000's forever!

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #10288 on: October 08, 2021, 08:49:47 PM »
I thought I was the only person who loves punk rock and doesn’t really give a shit about Black Flag. I’ve only ever told a couple people that. Truly like a confession. I think they were a time and place thing I don’t get. I understand why the Ramones were important despite their music sounding like children’s music by today’s standards. But Black Flag just sounds like sloppy musicians that can’t write a catchy hook. Maybe they really were groundbreaking back then and I’ve heard too many bands that were influenced by them and did it better, but I just can’t get way into it. There’s a few killer tunes but I could probably think of a couple hundred bands I like better.

I feel that way about agression. No sense of musical arrangement.  GG Allin is pretty sloppy music wise as well but his band kicks ass IMO

I think Greg Ginn has a sense of music theory

Throwing in a vote for chavo as best black flag singer but I love Rollins as well

nothing's been the since same

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #10289 on: October 08, 2021, 10:23:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

First things first, welcome!

Your post also reminded me that I have a tendency to discount more of their discography than I should. Because I do absolutely enjoy a few later records, slip it in, family man, and the process of weeding out in particular.

Have a gnar and stick around  @Bupstop

You all need to check out Flag if you haven’t heard any of it already. Way better than whatever it is that black flag is these days. OFF! singer Keith Morris, bassist Chuck Dukowski, and drummer Bill Stevenson have formed FLAG, along with guitarist Stephen Egerton of Descendents

https://consequence.net/2013/01/other-black-flag-members-reunite-to-form-flag/