Author Topic: real confessions  (Read 1734722 times)

Dad_Brains

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
Re: real confessions
« Reply #10290 on: October 08, 2021, 10:25:11 PM »
Pistols were awesome. Punks seem very split down the middle whether they appreciate them or not. I can't listen to much old US hardcore anymore though but still have time for Crucifix, Necros, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags and a few others. I really prefer the early European/Japanese/Aus/NZ stuff instead.

Interested to know what early NZ stuff you’re into. How far back we talking?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #10291 on: October 09, 2021, 05:35:20 AM »
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

Before you hit that kook button (or after, it doesn’t matter) hear my story.

Was skating with my daughter in a public park here in Japan (a regular one, not a skatepark-there aren’t any in my town), when this dad approaches me, speaking English. He’s asian-American, raised in LA, and asks me if I can teach his kid.

Of course I balk at the suggestion, but he’s really insistent. He says he knows another family with a kid who wants to learn how to skate.

I go home and think about it. I’ve actually been teaching snowboarding for 20 years, so I have a good basis in breaking it down for a beginner, but I could hear Grosso growling in my ear.

I decided to do it, but on a few conditions.
It’s free. I don’t want to start a business and deal with permits and liability.

I also want it to be open to everyone, no financial barrier to entry.

It’s on my own time, when I’m free. That turns out to be Saturday mornings, for an hour and a half.

And the kids have to wear helmets. I’m not taking chances. I was too loose once on a downhill clinic I did, and I’ll never forget seeing a dude lying motionless on the pavement with blood coming out of his head. That guy survived, but I never want to deal with that again. Sorry, kids.

It started with 2 kids, and word has been getting around. Now it’s up to 13 (with 3 or 4 parents) and getting a bit hectic. One of the dads helps a bit, but Im gonna have to start thinking about how I’m gonna do this.

The nice thing is some of the parents give a little tip (started by the American dad, Japanese people don’t tip) which helps me out a bunch.

Everyone are straight beginners, so it’s pushing  -> tic-tac -> turning -> rolling off a curb -> turning on a mellow bank -> and putting the board on the grass to learn body varial, jumping on, keeping feet over the bolts, and now an intro to ollieing.

The kids are making friends, I don’t feel like I’m exploiting anyone, but providing a kinda structure for them to learn the basics together and just have fun.

So yeah, I guess I’m a skate coach.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #10292 on: October 09, 2021, 06:36:39 AM »
^ this is really special man, sounds like they're having an awesome time

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10293 on: October 09, 2021, 07:38:47 AM »
@cucktard

that's sick, nothing kooky about this!

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #10294 on: October 09, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
Very wholesome @cucktard

My best friend gives me a bunch of shit because i like punk a lot, but during the time period that most kids get super heavy into punk and listen to all the basics (young adolescence, thirteen onward) i was super into indie rock (a useless term that just describes what was popular in the mid 2000s). As a result, I've been trying to listen to all that stuff now as an adult but it doesn't capture my heart like Hot Fuss or turn on the bright lights or good news for people who love bad news does . I also have Coldplay lyrics tattooed on me which he loves to joke is the most punk thing about me

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #10295 on: October 09, 2021, 11:06:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Pistols were awesome. Punks seem very split down the middle whether they appreciate them or not. I can't listen to much old US hardcore anymore though but still have time for Crucifix, Necros, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags and a few others. I really prefer the early European/Japanese/Aus/NZ stuff instead.
[close]

Interested to know what early NZ stuff you’re into. How far back we talking?

@Sila Hey, maybe you know this record I had years ago and can’t find. Don’t remember the name. It’s exactly what you’re talking about: a comp of Asian (possibly all Japanese), Australian, and New Zealand punk bands. The songs were probably all from the 78-82 time period based on recording quality and writing. Very much in that second wave, heavily Pistols, Ramones, and Clash inspired, but not as good vein. I think the comp actually came out in the late 80’s/early 90’s though. Might have been on Incognito Records.

Know what I’m talking about?

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #10296 on: October 09, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »
I hope ska makes a comeback

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10297 on: October 09, 2021, 03:24:25 PM »
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

Was skating with my daughter in a public park here in Japan (a regular one, not a skatepark-there aren’t any in my town), when this dad approaches me, speaking English. He’s asian-American, raised in LA, and asks me if I can teach his kid.

Of course I balk at the suggestion, but he’s really insistent. He says he knows another family with a kid who wants to learn how to skate.

I go home and think about it. I’ve actually been teaching snowboarding for 20 years, so I have a good basis in breaking it down for a beginner, but I could hear Grosso growling in my ear.

It’s free. I don’t want to start a business and deal with permits and liability.

It’s on my own time, when I’m free. That turns out to be Saturday mornings, for an hour and a half.

And the kids have to wear helmets. I’m not taking chances. I was too loose once on a downhill clinic I did, and I’ll never forget seeing a dude lying motionless on the pavement with blood coming out of his head. That guy survived, but I never want to deal with that again. Sorry, kids.

It started with 2 kids, and word has been getting around. Now it’s up to 13 (with 3 or 4 parents) and getting a bit hectic. One of the dads helps a bit, but Im gonna have to start thinking about how I’m gonna do this.

The nice thing is some of the parents give a little tip (started by the American dad, Japanese people don’t tip) which helps me out a bunch.

Everyone are straight beginners, so it’s pushing  -> tic-tac -> turning -> rolling off a curb -> turning on a mellow bank -> and putting the board on the grass to learn body varial, jumping on, keeping feet over the bolts, and now an intro to ollieing.

The kids are making friends, I don’t feel like I’m exploiting anyone, but providing a kinda structure for them to learn the basics together and just have fun.

I feel like people around where I live would have an older guy going around advertising free skating lessons for children arrested on suspicion of pedophilia. Especially when you tell them to drop their twelve year old off at the curb behind the dumpsters at Arby’s.  Never goes over well.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10298 on: October 09, 2021, 03:46:31 PM »
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

that’s cool, I teach kids at my local if they ask for advice. Does your prefecture have a skateboard assoc.? Our does, and through that they run an official skate school at our local DIY which always fills up super quick.
My eldest son goes and it great for him because
a) he gets to meet kids similar to his age/ skill level
b) it’s always good to get advice about tricks from another person, especially because I don’t ‘teach’ him unless he specifically asks me about a trick

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #10299 on: October 09, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

[close]
that’s cool, I teach kids at my local if they ask for advice. Does your prefecture have a skateboard assoc.? Our does, and through that they run an official skate school at our local DIY which always fills up super quick.
My eldest son goes and it great for him because
a) he gets to meet kids similar to his age/ skill level
b) it’s always good to get advice about tricks from another person, especially because I don’t ‘teach’ him unless he specifically asks me about a trick

I don’t think we have an association, at least I’ve never heard of one. I’m thinking about starting one though. The city is building a ‘skateboard area’ next to the new City gymnasium, and it’s honestly a concrete triangle, with zero features, surrounded by a high fence. No shade, just a fucking useless waste of taxpayer funds.

So I want to approach the city as an association to push that they install some minimal concrete features.

The other points you made are the same here. Kids (and parents) have already made friends.

As for learning from someone not your dad/significant other, that’s a big reason ski and snowboard lessons are popular.

I feel like people around where I live would have an older guy going around advertising free skating lessons for children arrested on suspicion of pedophilia. Especially when you tell them to drop their twelve year old off at the curb behind the dumpsters at Arby’s.  Never goes over well.

I never considered the pedo angle. Of course it’s a problem over here too, but I don’t think it’s a big concern here with public lessons.

Especially outside in a park, with most of the parents watching and/or participating
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:05:40 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #10300 on: October 10, 2021, 12:15:20 AM »
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

That’s cool bro,
I legit don’t see anything wrong with it for kids, there’s lessons for everything these days and if it helps people improve then it’s silly to hate on it
Skating changed ages ago, I’m not too fussed
Better to learn off someone then smack your head or struggle to progress with things

Edit

And also, like if you been skating your whole life and you wanna be a skate coach, that’s way better than some kook doing it
listen to cosmic psychos

doublesteveburger

« Reply #10301 on: October 10, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
I am a skate coach.

Kinda.

This is vastly different than some California sun kissed douche nozzle raking in some cash. You sound like a good dude.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10302 on: October 10, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »
That’s awesome to hear @cucktard
I think a big part is being in an open space and being cool with parents floating around. Plus the free part is the biggest part.

As for the Grosso part, you’re not pushing the kids into a bowl and making them learn to 900. You’re making sure they’re in a safe space with people like them and supporting them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #10303 on: October 11, 2021, 06:38:25 PM »
Before I share any of this, I want the SLAP record to show that I never stopped skating even if I wasn't active on here like I used to be. I'm almost pushing 30 and I got shit to do too, no excuses

But last February I broke up with my ex of about 6 years, essentially blowing up the family we had between two pets and her  child from a prior relationship. I raised her from age 3 to 9 and that was obviously the hardest part. I won't elaborate on the relationship other than the fact that I was doing too much and receiving too little from it, so I had to finally have that talk. To top it all off, we still had to live together afterwards until the end of our lease in September

I'm not even gonna tell the tale of that 7 month period of living together but that shit was fucking trash I had a ton of work related stress due to COVID and had to switch jobs in the midst of all of this as well. Hardest thing I ever had to deal with in life.

I say all this because I'm finally living back on my own now and the world feels wide open again. The irrational confidence is coming back and anything seems possible
It wasn't until I stepped outside of the situation that I realized how much of myself I had lost within it.

For anybody else in a similar situation or afraid to take that leap of faith in life when you know that you should...just fucking do that shit and stomach the short term pain. It's worth it when you come out on the other side

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10304 on: October 12, 2021, 05:28:31 AM »
Good on you Dood, glad you were able to move on despite the obvious emotional attachments, sounds like you deserve better!

Get back out in the singles game and tongue punch that gnar button for slap!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Grind King Rims

« Reply #10305 on: October 12, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
Great to hear from you @DaSk8D00D  thanks for posting. Wishing you continued success.

tongue punch that gnar button for slap!

I see you bb <3

Mini confession: any time I see someone fuck up a quote reply where they type their response inside the quote, it's an instant kook on the spot.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #10306 on: October 13, 2021, 06:09:47 AM »
Good to hear, DooD!

I tried to reply with those pngs, but couldn't figure it out, lol.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #10307 on: October 13, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »
Good on you man. I feel you. Had to do a baby-23-year-old version of that this summer, we had a lease and everything. Didn't have anything in the city besides my partner and I wasnt even into it at the end. Had to go
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #10308 on: October 16, 2021, 01:32:57 PM »
I made it to a 3rd round interview. Im nervous AF, bc i'm pretty awkward, but I made it this far, and want to suceed for once.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #10309 on: October 16, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
I made it to a 3rd round interview. Im nervous AF, bc i'm pretty awkward, but I made it this far, and want to suceed for once.

I wish you luck. If you made it this far you must have made a good impression. What worked for me was just being myself without pretending to know stuff I didn‘t. Just being honest/real. You got this.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #10310 on: October 16, 2021, 10:31:22 PM »
I believe in you.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10311 on: October 17, 2021, 07:23:08 AM »
Congrats, for what it’s worth because we’re our own selves we are focused on things we’re not happy with that we don’t focus on how talented or good at stuff we are.

Congrats @DaSk8D00D that’s a big step and I’m glad to hear that you were able to make some sort of space for yourself and realize your worth!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10312 on: October 18, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
I can’t rock a mustache without looking like a pedophile.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

nevrwasben

« Reply #10313 on: October 18, 2021, 05:38:50 PM »
I think that’s 50% of mustache dudes, not just you

Fhk

« Reply #10314 on: October 18, 2021, 07:32:10 PM »
I did a play and my character was supposed to have a mustache. I grew one and I thought it looked kinda good and got compliments from a few women. My wife was pretty adamant that I shave it off. It's gone now and I miss it.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10315 on: October 19, 2021, 07:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I probably looked less like a pedophile and more like a European pervert when i had just my mustache

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #10316 on: October 19, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
I rock the 'stache at all times.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10317 on: October 19, 2021, 01:20:17 PM »
I rock the 'stache at all times.

And it looks great brother 👍🏼

nevrwasben

« Reply #10318 on: October 19, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I probably looked less like a pedophile and more like a European pervert when i had just my mustache
I had the beard grown in kinda thick a few years ago at Halloween and wanted to test a mustache as “part of a costume” so I didn’t get too much shit if it looked bad.
My wife and her bff couldn’t stop laughing whenever they looked at me and called me Lt. Dangle and pornstar all night. Beard came back asap.

Fhk

« Reply #10319 on: October 22, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
I just tried v-flips for the first time since the mid 90s and on the 3rd try I caught one that felt better than any other trick I still have. I don't know how to feel right now.