Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777819 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3690 on: March 30, 2021, 03:41:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does that mean good, bad or meh?
[close]

They're meh/no F4 or STF
[close]

Ok...really I got these for the size...I wanna try small conical shape to see if I like it or if it makes any difference in my skating.

For all y'all that are looking into the small and fat shapes, boardy cakes has a really awesome one called "benchwarmers". They're 48.5mm 99a (creative urethane so not quite f4 but still very good) and fat as fuck. They remind me of the old bones fireballs except maybe a bit wider. The width and CU 99a formula makes them surprisingly capable over rough ground and pebbles and since they're so small you don't have to worry about wheelbite even with low trucks. I've even used them to do some weird setups like 8.4/8.5 decks with loose 8.38 mini logos. I never really got used to skating a wider board that's so low to the ground and twitchy feeling but it's fun to try new stuff and I might revisit the concept at some point in the future.

Don't have a Pic of just the wheels on my phone but here they are on a Watson laminates Foundation deck that's listed as 8.25 but measures closer to 8.38 with 5.5 ATG mag lights

sketchyrider

« Reply #3691 on: March 30, 2021, 06:02:37 AM »
interesting to hear some honest reviews of other wheel companies, it doesn't surprise me that spit and bones are top dogs with ricta/OJ close behind. if nothing else, ricta and OJ make great cruiser wheels, plus OJ has the 95a options.

curious how ricta/OJ "feel" in comparison to bones and spit. with bones feeling a little plastic, and spits feeling kinda rubbery. a lot of people use the word "chalky", wonder if that's accurate.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3692 on: March 30, 2021, 06:14:09 AM »
interesting to hear some honest reviews of other wheel companies, it doesn't surprise me that spit and bones are top dogs with ricta/OJ close behind. if nothing else, ricta and OJ make great cruiser wheels, plus OJ has the 95a options.

curious how ricta/OJ "feel" in comparison to bones and spit. with bones feeling a little plastic, and spits feeling kinda rubbery. a lot of people use the word "chalky", wonder if that's accurate.

Good point about the cruiser wheels. Ricta and Oj soft wheels have performed much better for me than their Spitfire and Bones counterparts, especially in areas of quality control.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3693 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Spitfire finally released the 97a formula in a wider size. Thinking bout scooping up a pair.

Anybody have any luck with the classic ones since the release?
[close]

I have 97a classics and they are great. Take a little of the edge off the crust, slide really nice and consistent. Can’t say enough good stuff about them

Why they wouldn’t start with conical wide 54-58 is beyond me. This wheel should be the slimeball killer. The slimeballs of today are just not like the one’s of the 80’s. I have too many wheels now but 97a conical wide 56mm sounds real good...

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3694 on: March 30, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Spitfire finally released the 97a formula in a wider size. Thinking bout scooping up a pair.

Anybody have any luck with the classic ones since the release?
[close]

I have 97a classics and they are great. Take a little of the edge off the crust, slide really nice and consistent. Can’t say enough good stuff about them
[close]

Why they wouldn’t start with conical wide 54-58 is beyond me. This wheel should be the slimeball killer. The slimeballs of today are just not like the one’s of the 80’s. I have too many wheels now but 97a conical wide 56mm sounds real good...
they have some 56 conical full 97s at zumiez right now, only place i have seen them so far. might cop a pair, although i'll probably wait until i can get them from someone else.

https://www.zumiez.com/spitfire-formula-four-conical-full-56mm-97a-teal-natural-skateboard-wheels.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1101153&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_61WBxf7yLm4QoBpUANjRYzKInikUChbZjDjpC0jdH-9-O63DT4Y2saAvKzEALw_wcB

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #3695 on: March 30, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
hardgood got way too expensive where I live and Im pondering on what wheels to buy.
Love the feel of spitfires classics and F4s, but its costing double the price in here, so if anybody can give any insight on the following possibilities below I'd be very grateful:

- Ojs - regular and conicals
- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals
- Emex Wheels - 102a (probably the worst option).

Any opinion is welcomed, thx

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3696 on: March 30, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
hardgood got way too expensive where I live and Im pondering on what wheels to buy.
Love the feel of spitfires classics and F4s, but its costing double the price in here, so if anybody can give any insight on the following possibilities below I'd be very grateful:

- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals

I‘m running Bones 100s. Coming from Spitfires they felt hella plasticky at first but I got used to them after a few sessions to the point that it doesn‘t bother me. I ride mostly skreets/schoolyards and they are fine but I live in Switzerland where the concrete tends to be rather good quality. I have skated crustier spots too but you might want softer wheels for those. I think they don‘t slide well but maybe it‘s just me who is too bad at sliding. I skate twice a week for ca. 1 hour and in almost one year I rode them down from 52mm to just under 50mm. Hope that helps.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

lucascbn

• #maconha
« Reply #3697 on: March 30, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote

- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals

[close]

I‘m running Bones 100s. Coming from Spitfires they felt hella plasticky at first but I got used to them after a few sessions to the point that it doesn‘t bother me. I ride mostly skreets/schoolyards and they are fine but I live in Switzerland where the concrete tends to be rather good quality. I have skated crustier spots too but you might want softer wheels for those. I think they don‘t slide well but maybe it‘s just me who is too bad at sliding. I skate twice a week for ca. 1 hour and in almost one year I rode them down from 52mm to just under 50mm. Hope that helps.

That for sure helps, man! Thank you for the info

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3698 on: March 30, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »

I used to love STFs, then hated them after riding ricta (because they hard glassy wheels), then F4s came out and like many, I bought into the hype and somehow bones became a second rate wheel. Bones feel like you slide on the surface whereas spits feel like I'm digging into it a bit. Stiff prefer SPF or OJ Elites in park...nod to OJs being just as fast but not as slippery; SPFs are not a novice wheel in that regard.

OJ/Ricta don't feel chalky at all these days (the Ricta Chrome cores of old did). Current Ricta are fucking hard wheels, they don't feel plasticky or rubbery (totally agree with you on those two counts) they just feel HARD as nails, which I like. They slide really well, give you a nice loud chirp and they are fast. I'm riding a set of the 101 super slims (the Nyjah wheel); it's basically a much slimmer Radial Slim shape.

Regular Formula OJs always feel like bones 100s. The 'concentrate' line (pp wheel) just avoid like the plague. OG formula on shit terrain they are just fine but feel slow on nice 'crete. Much like the Darkroom Triclops feel, they remind me of the ABS Autobahn wheels or the [years] older .sml 99s. It's that typical US made Creative urethane feel. Completely uncharacteristic and generic feeling wheel that is a bit on the grippy side. Probably a stock formula since it's a 'deckbrand' wheel.

OJ elites are hard but really grippy; people say they don't slide, which just isn't true, they take a little effort but have never slipped out ever for me; just go watch MM skate them at mach-1 and listen to him get them chirping. The hardline shape is amazing.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3699 on: March 30, 2021, 07:56:15 PM »

- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals

The cost vs the life of the wheel is often overlooked.  If you buy cheaper wheels that flatspot and are not fun to ride, would you think that the more expensive and better riding wheels would be worth it in the long run?

Sure I am a Spitfire Formula Four advocate, mainly because I would rather pay for exactly what I want and have it skate exactly how I know it should, rather than mess around with other options.

Bones will probably give you more joy than any of the others there, if they were your only options, the 100s being the pricepoint option but still a really good wheel, when compared to STF or SPF versions.

The only other thing to say if you are short of cash is if you get a size up in the wheels, they might be weird at first, but they will last longer overall too, not crazy like 60mm if you were used to 50mm, but something more like 54 rather than 52 size.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3700 on: March 31, 2021, 12:15:23 AM »
Expand Quote

- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals

[close]

The cost vs the life of the wheel is often overlooked.  If you buy cheaper wheels that flatspot and are not fun to ride, would you think that the more expensive and better riding wheels would be worth it in the long run?

Sure I am a Spitfire Formula Four advocate, mainly because I would rather pay for exactly what I want and have it skate exactly how I know it should, rather than mess around with other options.

Bones will probably give you more joy than any of the others there, if they were your only options, the 100s being the pricepoint option but still a really good wheel, when compared to STF or SPF versions.

The only other thing to say if you are short of cash is if you get a size up in the wheels, they might be weird at first, but they will last longer overall too, not crazy like 60mm if you were used to 50mm, but something more like 54 rather than 52 size.

I pay €55 for F4 where I live vs anywhere from €30-45 for other wheels and it's totally worth it. One of the shops has loopholes for €48 that I would buy to try if I didn't already have too many wheels at the moment.

I'm surprised STFs are cheaper by enough to make a difference, but those are great wheels too and I still pick up a set every once in a while because it's all I skated for years before switching to F4.

Buying lesser wheels (unless for a very specific niche like Boardycakes or some cruiser wheels) is always a mistake for me since F4s are noticeably better wheels.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3701 on: March 31, 2021, 01:12:22 AM »
F4s actually last longer than regular wheels so the pricing isn’t that bad, as someone else said go up a size and you’ll definitely be able to extend their life. Loopholes are great wheels, in fact they are all I’m rocking at the moment, but there is some consistency problems at least from my experience

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sketchyrider

« Reply #3702 on: March 31, 2021, 05:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I used to love STFs, then hated them after riding ricta (because they hard glassy wheels), then F4s came out and like many, I bought into the hype and somehow bones became a second rate wheel. Bones feel like you slide on the surface whereas spits feel like I'm digging into it a bit. Stiff prefer SPF or OJ Elites in park...nod to OJs being just as fast but not as slippery; SPFs are not a novice wheel in that regard.

OJ/Ricta don't feel chalky at all these days (the Ricta Chrome cores of old did). Current Ricta are fucking hard wheels, they don't feel plasticky or rubbery (totally agree with you on those two counts) they just feel HARD as nails, which I like. They slide really well, give you a nice loud chirp and they are fast. I'm riding a set of the 101 super slims (the Nyjah wheel); it's basically a much slimmer Radial Slim shape.

Regular Formula OJs always feel like bones 100s. The 'concentrate' line (pp wheel) just avoid like the plague. OG formula on shit terrain they are just fine but feel slow on nice 'crete. Much like the Darkroom Triclops feel, they remind me of the ABS Autobahn wheels or the [years] older .sml 99s. It's that typical US made Creative urethane feel. Completely uncharacteristic and generic feeling wheel that is a bit on the grippy side. Probably a stock formula since it's a 'deckbrand' wheel.

OJ elites are hard but really grippy; people say they don't slide, which just isn't true, they take a little effort but have never slipped out ever for me; just go watch MM skate them at mach-1 and listen to him get them chirping. The hardline shape is amazing.

thanks for the good info in this post.

to throw in my 2 cents about bones 100s, they aren't bad for a price point wheel. they work on a lot of different surfaces, but they are a little slower and less durable than say an STF.

lucascbn

• #maconha
« Reply #3703 on: March 31, 2021, 06:33:38 AM »
Expand Quote

- Bones 100s - v5
- Bones STF - v2
- Pig Wheels Conicals

[close]

Those are good points, I probably gonna get some bones 100s size 54s.

F4s will be the main choice for those listed points no doubt, the problem is that it doubled the price. The set went from R$220 or something to R$400 plus, just insane.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3704 on: March 31, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »
i have the conical fulls in 97a 56mm and have been very impressed. might ride them exclusively, much smoother in the streets than the 99s and my knees are thanking me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3705 on: March 31, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
i have the conical fulls in 97a 56mm and have been very impressed. might ride them exclusively, much smoother in the streets than the 99s and my knees are thanking me
yeah 97a are the truth. riding 54mm classics but the 56 conical full are on my list

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #3706 on: March 31, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »
so reporting back on the Darkroom wheels.

comparing to what i've ridden recently, it feels similar to the OJ Nora wheels i have, which are 101a. The only difference is on rougher surfaces it rolls really slow, but on smooth surface its feels the same, albeit its 99a.

The biggest difference is the size, and at 50mm i had no wheel bite last night...i ride thunders with forged baseplate, and this size is great for that.

What i would love is a 50mm conical from Spitfire...but i now have some many wheels that i cant justify buying another set.

antarctica

• why
« Reply #3707 on: April 01, 2021, 09:58:39 AM »
Going to post this in the spitfire thread aswell but what are the pros and cons of classics vs conical shaped wheels? Ive been riding only conical shaped wheels pretty much forever but lately ive been kindve eyeing some classics so im curious of the performance diffrences.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3708 on: April 01, 2021, 10:49:14 AM »
Going to post this in the spitfire thread aswell but what are the pros and cons of classics vs conical shaped wheels? Ive been riding only conical shaped wheels pretty much forever but lately ive been kindve eyeing some classics so im curious of the performance diffrences.

I think classics are more forgiving for everything except rough ground.

So, if you're going fast and ollieing over stuff, conicals are great. But if you're doing anything else, classics make everything a little easier. They're lighter, and the rounded edges are more forgiving for flip tricks, grinds, and ledge tricks. But they don't roll quite as well over rough stuff.

That's my experience at least.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:06:56 AM by beatifk »

lucascbn

• #maconha
« Reply #3709 on: April 01, 2021, 10:51:54 AM »

I also would like to hear some opinions on that. Im kind of getting over conicals lately.
I skate mainly ledges, manuals and flat.

IpathCats

« Reply #3710 on: April 01, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »

The straight edges of conicals lock in your grinds harder, but in doing so they slow your grinds down a bit compared to classics. Also, classics make it easier to get out of grinds. The wider surface area of a conical will give you more grip, but the increased grip and square edge makes them harder to slide than classics. The radials sit in between conicals and classics, and provide a good balance imo. I ride 99a 56-58mm classics and radials.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3711 on: April 01, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
Was rotating my wheels today and just had to stop and admire them. 53mm F4 Classics worn down to probably about 49mm, the perfect wheel. That is all.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3712 on: April 01, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The straight edges of conicals lock in your grinds harder, but in doing so they slow your grinds down a bit compared to classics. Also, classics make it easier to get out of grinds. The wider surface area of a conical will give you more grip, but the increased grip and square edge makes them harder to slide than classics. The radials sit in between conicals and classics, and provide a good balance imo. I ride 99a 56-58mm classics and radials.

Yes this is well put.

Classic round shapes (which I usually ride) with the rounder edge are much easier to get on and off coping, or edges on street too, even when they are worn down some and still have a slightly rounded edge.  Some have said it is much easier to crooked grind on classics too.  At least one guy who is usually on conical shaped wheels didn't like the classic shape and said he felt like he was slipping out of grinds as there was not a sharp edge to hold him on the coping.

Conical shaped wheels (that I have on a few boards but not my preferred shape) feel a lot more grippy on coping and don't get on and off as easily, which some people prefer, but always made a couple of people I know say they felt much better locking into rails and edges than classics.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3713 on: April 05, 2021, 09:35:11 PM »
Been doing a lot of slappydayz due to an ankle tweak and conicals or a side cut work best for me, in larger sizes and the wider the truck, the better (so I don't 'catch' whatever the fuck wheel shape I'm on). Groooves > wheels shape. I'm now on 159s.

Classics /V1s on rounded/worn curbs, while easier to get on (especially for crookslaps) were way easier to slip out on going fast...if I was off just a little bit I was out..more so on classics; I guess you pick your poison here = easy in and keep the lock or tougher in, easier lock?

Tablets or V2s, I'd get my front truck on and end up willying the slap unless I paid special attention to getting the back truck on (something I don't think one should need to do). Really bizarre but I really had to force it.

Conicals, got me on and locked in without having to worry about speed or form +bonus on square double sided curbs (sitting on top) I'd get a nice lock if I had truck wiggle room (vs a smaller truck) if i wasn't locked on (new trucks/no grooves).

Taller wheels helped a ton due to having more overhang to grab the curb vs smaller wheels (49/50mm spit classics at speed I slipped out like crazy on anything but full truck contact) 50/50 no issues; been skating with a dude who has perfect curb huggin slappy trucks...his wheels never touch...the trucks are bigger than the curbs with grooves to lock him in...he just sits there grinding for days.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:43:50 AM by Xen »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3714 on: April 05, 2021, 10:16:11 PM »
finally got some good slappies down and I'm riding the PFC 53s. Haven't ridden a wheel this small in a long time and am having fun. The wheels feel good and grippy but slide better than the Bones STFs I'd been riding prior. I hope they last and stay nice for a while
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3715 on: April 05, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »
Anyone want to do a product swap with US and Japan? PFC aren’t shipping here at the moment and I really want a pair...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3716 on: April 09, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
i’ve been on dial tone wheels for a month now and the bearings are popping out of some of them, has this happened to any of you? it’s been happening since i first started riding them but they still haven’t worn in
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3717 on: April 11, 2021, 03:39:51 PM »
https://www.chemsfb.com/product/street-rat-skateboard-wheels-53mm

Creative urethane 83b/103a for those who like the really hard stuff. Looks like a similar or same "fat classic" mold as the PFC. The guy sells mostly fingerboards but when he gets skate stuff made its usually really good (and he uses clutch O shape for his decks so that's an automatic like from me).

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3718 on: April 11, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »
I just switched back from some 53mm F4 101a Conical Fulls back to 54mm Jart 103a Classics, and the difference is night and day.

Reverts in particular seem a lot less... consistent? It's hard to pin down exactly what's different, but the thinner contact patch makes reverts feel a lot less reliable than on the conical fulls, despite the harder urethane. (Could just be that F4's have spoiled me.)
-Summer of George-

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #3719 on: April 12, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
Anyone got suggestions for big, wide, hardish wheels for cracked, shitty ground. -like really shitty with patches of weeds, Rocks, goose shit and no point in cleaning it.
No soft juice stuff, I got some Powell ssl that are nice for cruising but too sticky for what I am thinking of.

I am usually riding 58 conical full f4s that are nice and thought of getting something like cubes or the roadcrew scram wheels, maybe those wide ojs, anyone got experience with a few or can help me with those, thanks!

Also wasn’t there a big wheels thread? Can’t find it...

PMA