Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220824 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7110 on: December 13, 2019, 05:01:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Switching around a lot was one of the worst things I have ever done. I know that Quasi 8.5 with Ace is magic and a lot of 8.25 with 14.25WB with Indy is magic. Thunders pop less for me with 8.25, but I like them all around more so I settle.

New Thrasher cover has Tom Knox with risers. Is he on super loose trucks?
[close]

mike arnold called him tommy tight trucks so id imagine its either cause he likes the height or how risers feel. i never use risers but my brother wont skate a board without em

If it's from the pic on his instagram, it's kind of hard to tell but it looks like it might just be lighting? You got a better pic? Definitely doesn't have risers in other recent shots.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7111 on: December 13, 2019, 06:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
i dont really mess around with my trucks.
i ride independent stage 11 149. 3 speedrings on the inside, 1 on the outside to keep the axlenut flush.
i never tighten/loosen the trucks. i just leave them how i got them.
the longer i ride the same pair of trucks the softer they get, due to the bushings. i kinda like it that way and i dont wanna screw around too much.
[close]

My question is where do I find aftermarket bearing spacers that actually fit my wheels? The bones ones that come with Swiss and reds don’t fit any of my F4 spitfires? I ride full conical or radial full and have never had any to fit flush and snuggish? Anyone have any ideas? Assuming I gotta measure the circumference of the wheel core and find spacers that match my measurements and sizes?
Modus spacers work great in my F4s

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #7112 on: December 13, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
Anybody know which trucks got Manny Santiago into the 9 club?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #7113 on: December 13, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
Anybody know which trucks got Manny Santiago into the 9 club?

ballintoohard

« Reply #7114 on: December 13, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Switching around a lot was one of the worst things I have ever done. I know that Quasi 8.5 with Ace is magic and a lot of 8.25 with 14.25WB with Indy is magic. Thunders pop less for me with 8.25, but I like them all around more so I settle.

New Thrasher cover has Tom Knox with risers. Is he on super loose trucks?
[close]

mike arnold called him tommy tight trucks so id imagine its either cause he likes the height or how risers feel. i never use risers but my brother wont skate a board without em
[close]

If it's from the pic on his instagram, it's kind of hard to tell but it looks like it might just be lighting? You got a better pic? Definitely doesn't have risers in other recent shots.

open in the browser or peep it in real life they're there for sure.

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #7115 on: December 13, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
Hey guys so I’m at a standstill on what trucks to buy this week I’m an Indy guy but I’m getting either venture hi 5.8 or ace 44..I think from what I’ve ridden that I really prefer a long WB board with a shorter WB truck.. seeing as I like anti hero with indys. But I’ve recently got a wknd board that’s WB is 14 3/16 so with the indys it’s something way too short for me at 13 11/16..hence is why I think the venture hi 5.8 will extend the WB not as much as my thunders which it was too long for my to get used to so I feel like the ventures will be able to bring out this boards real potential for me to enjoy cuz it’s been in the corner after seshs and I’m back in zero 8.5 with 149 indy hollows.. pls help with any boards that will be good for longer WB and will go good with ace and also the same for venture it’ll all be appreciated! I’ve been told by many that krooked ia really good with aces cuz they usually have long WB? I feel my ideal WB  14” to 14.25” . Thanks y’all
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #7116 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:07 PM »
Hey guys so I’m at a standstill on what trucks to buy this week I’m an Indy guy but I’m getting either venture hi 5.8 or ace 44..I think from what I’ve ridden that I really prefer a long WB board with a shorter WB truck.. seeing as I like anti hero with indys. But I’ve recently got a wknd board that’s WB is 14 3/16 so with the indys it’s something way too short for me at 13 11/16..hence is why I think the venture hi 5.8 will extend the WB not as much as my thunders which it was too long for my to get used to so I feel like the ventures will be able to bring out this boards real potential for me to enjoy cuz it’s been in the corner after seshs and I’m back in zero 8.5 with 149 indy hollows.. pls help with any boards that will be good for longer WB and will go good with ace and also the same for venture it’ll all be appreciated! I’ve been told by many that krooked ia really good with aces cuz they usually have long WB? I feel my ideal WB  14” to 14.25” . Thanks y’all

I’m in the same zone: short, I think I like wb 14-14.25 best but dunno. Riding thunder 149s, want ventures just cuz. Looking for wide boards that work best with those trucks. Please and thanks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7117 on: December 13, 2019, 11:36:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m in the same zone: short, I think I like wb 14-14.25 best but dunno. Riding thunder 149s, want ventures just cuz. Looking for wide boards that work best with those trucks. Please and thanks.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

Found the photos and measurements in the photo super helpful in matching my trucks to WB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7118 on: December 14, 2019, 04:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Found the photos and measurements in the photo super helpful in matching my trucks to WB.
just bookmarked that post yesterday because I am always looking for it and searching for it was a bitch
we need a reference or first post of this thread for that and add in a few more brands too.

Live Fast Johnny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7119 on: December 14, 2019, 05:03:28 AM »
Been on Thunder 149's forever and want to change it up and quit wheelbiting so much.  I ride 8.25 square shapes and can't decide between 44's and 5.6's.  I usually run medium (not too tight, not too loose) and skate flat and manual pads mostly.  Thoughts?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7120 on: December 14, 2019, 05:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
just bookmarked that post yesterday because I am always looking for it and searching for it was a bitch
we need a reference or first post of this thread for that and add in a few more brands too.

I just ordered a set of Venture 5.8 cast, so I'm going to add that measurement as well (slightly smaller WB than forged). Also going to compile all my shots of bushing height comparisons. Once I get everything in order I'll make a new thread for it.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7121 on: December 14, 2019, 05:42:32 AM »
Been on Thunder 149's forever and want to change it up and quit wheelbiting so much.  I ride 8.25 square shapes and can't decide between 44's and 5.6's.  I usually run medium (not too tight, not too loose) and skate flat and manual pads mostly.  Thoughts?

Ventures are closer to Thunders in feeling and wheelbase. They're really hard to wheelbite too but so are Aces. Thunders maybe turn better than Ventures but if you're not running your Thunders loose I think Ventures turn pretty similar if you run them a tad looser. Ventures are quite stable in the middle while Aces are not. Aces turn very easily in the middle and have a really deep turn. Ventures turn fine but it's not a very deep turn. It all depends on what exactly you're looking for in trucks. But from reading your post I'd say Ventures. Ventures also have a magical pop that I cannot explain. It's very nice.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7122 on: December 14, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
Anyone had issues with venture bushings getting “stuck” in position? Like when the board is pushed it continues in that path instead of leveling out? I know Ben degros mentioned but wondering if it’s a lack of break in thing.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #7123 on: December 14, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ventures are closer to Thunders in feeling and wheelbase. They're really hard to wheelbite too but so are Aces. Thunders maybe turn better than Ventures but if you're not running your Thunders loose I think Ventures turn pretty similar if you run them a tad looser. Ventures are quite stable in the middle while Aces are not. Aces turn very easily in the middle and have a really deep turn. Ventures turn fine but it's not a very deep turn. It all depends on what exactly you're looking for in trucks. But from reading your post I'd say Ventures. Ventures also have a magical pop that I cannot explain. It's very nice.

The thing you call "magical pop", is for us normal people called longest wb. Atleast as far as I know.
Venture has even longer wheelbase then Thunder.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:06:53 AM by Vintagebody »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7124 on: December 14, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The thing you call "magical pop", is for us normal people called longest wb. Atleast as far as I know.

I can't get that same pop with Aces even with a 15" wheelbase and a short ass tail. It really should be all about the placement of the axle in regards to the tail and the other axle but so far nothing else has popped even close to how Ventures pop for me.  :o

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #7125 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I can't get that same pop with Aces even with a 15" wheelbase and a short ass tail. It really should be all about the placement of the axle in regards to the tail and the other axle but so far nothing else has popped even close to how Ventures pop for me.  :o

It's all about the "triangle", so check your boards angle. If the angle and weight is equal, and it still doesnt pop the same, its magic. It can also be that the board's balance is not equal. Maybe the nose is heavier, for logical reasons

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7126 on: December 14, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's all about the "triangle", so check your boards angle. If the angle and weight is equal, and it still doesnt pop the same, its magic. It can also be that the board's balance is not equal. Maybe the nose is heavier, for logical reasons

I know that in theory I should be able to get the same pop from a setup with Aces than I get in general from setups with Ventures I just haven't found such boards yet. If I could I'd be all over them as I fucking love how Ventures pop and how Aces turn. That'd be my literal dream setup.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7127 on: December 14, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

14-14.25 is actually on the lower end. If you like 14 to 14.25 get yourself some ventures and you'll be glad you did. I have all the trucks and have put them on every wheelbase you can imagine. ventures on a 14-14.25 feels so good. It helped me learned nollie and switch as the pop is much quicker. try em. You'll be glad you did!

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7128 on: December 14, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know that in theory I should be able to get the same pop from a setup with Aces than I get in general from setups with Ventures I just haven't found such boards yet. If I could I'd be all over them as I fucking love how Ventures pop and how Aces turn. That'd be my literal dream setup.

forgot who suggested it, but someone was really fucking with ventures with ace bushings
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7129 on: December 14, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Good stuff everyone. Now I need some venture 6.1 now for the 9.75 axle and wanting to extend my wb and feel magic pop because of you thank you

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7130 on: December 14, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

forgot who suggested it, but someone was really fucking with ventures with ace bushings

Yeah, I read that too and also forgot who it was- Maybe Xen? 🤔 High bottoms and low tops I think it was. I have a set of low Ace bushings that I bought for making the Krux pin mod on my Aces that I might or might not do at some point. Could use the high bottoms from a spare set of Aces and those in my Ventures once I set them up possibly at some point in the next 5 years.  ;D

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7131 on: December 14, 2019, 06:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I read that too and also forgot who it was- Maybe Xen? 🤔 High bottoms and low tops I think it was. I have a set of low Ace bushings that I bought for making the Krux pin mod on my Aces that I might or might not do at some point. Could use the high bottoms from a spare set of Aces and those in my Ventures once I set them up possibly at some point in the next 5 years.  ;D

If you have a standard set of Ace bushings and want to experiment with Ventures, just use the Ace bottom and the Venture top and see if you think the difference is worth having to buy two sets of Ace bushings. Venture's are 90a, and the Ace top is 92a, the major difference is the soft Ace bottom bushing anyway, and you'll still maintain a semblance of the mixed duro that comes standard on Aces. Just a suggestion.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7132 on: December 15, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
I’ve always felt like Indy’s were the closest, most of the time, to a truck for everything, for me, but never felt ‘the best’. Couldn’t put my finger on why I’d like other trucks more, but then revert (damn it) back to Independents. The image, fans of the brand, marketing, all very rough. Hurtful even.

I think I like Indy’s on 14.25”. I like wider boards, now. If I’m doing this right, and I want to ride ventures, than I look for boards 14” wb and below? Skated ventures for years, of and on, but always smaller boards 8” and under.

Skating thunders, like them a lot actually, should probably just stick with, one of the main reasons for something different: bigger wheels.

Fingers of flat? Not exactly the correct thread, but is it that more fingers of flat are better with the thunder/venture style? And steeper boards better with Indy/ace?

I’ve tried so many different combos. Never fully developed preferences or stuck with a consistent set up. It’s always been fun to try different stuff. Agnostic

Cheers to those that have contributed mightily to this thread. Interesting to hear the choices people make and their context.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7133 on: December 15, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
might be the wrong thread but does anyone have word if venture is doing any 6.1 variations? like v lights, titanium, etc...
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7134 on: December 16, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
I’ve always felt like Indy’s were the closest, most of the time, to a truck for everything, for me, but never felt ‘the best’. Couldn’t put my finger on why I’d like other trucks more, but then revert (damn it) back to Independents. The image, fans of the brand, marketing, all very rough. Hurtful even.

I think I like Indy’s on 14.25”. I like wider boards, now. If I’m doing this right, and I want to ride ventures, than I look for boards 14” wb and below? Skated ventures for years, of and on, but always smaller boards 8” and under.

Skating thunders, like them a lot actually, should probably just stick with, one of the main reasons for something different: bigger wheels.

Fingers of flat? Not exactly the correct thread, but is it that more fingers of flat are better with the thunder/venture style? And steeper boards better with Indy/ace?

I’ve tried so many different combos. Never fully developed preferences or stuck with a consistent set up. It’s always been fun to try different stuff. Agnostic

Cheers to those that have contributed mightily to this thread. Interesting to hear the choices people make and their context.

Fingers of flat seems to be preference really, even if the Schmitt theory is more fingers = more finesse and fewer = more power (I can't say that more fingers = more finesse because I am loose/sloppy as fuck but from a personal pov, I can say that fewer fingers and a steeper tail definitely has more pop for me than a board with lots of flat).

What is the 'standard' for finesse, that's what I don't understand. Flip tricks in and out? Technical precision? If so that would mean shorter WB, say what you will, a shorter WB flips easier than a long one.

As for trucks, I don't feel trucks have much of an effect on this on their own per say, but DO in conjunction with wheelbase, e.g., let's say you like finesse (more fingers of flat), lots of boards with more fingers of flat seem to have shorter WBs on average (primitive is the best example), say 14" or 14.1x" so riding a thunder or venture pushes that out to 14.2x

My ghetto rule of thumb is:

8.25" is the standard WB, it's seemingly the most commonly used WB across all brands. Then take a roughly .25" +/- depending on brand, away from that:

14.25" WB + Indy/ACE/Theeve = 14.x" WB

14.25" WB + Thunder/Venture/Tensor = 14.3x+ WB

14.3/4/5 WB + Indy/ACE/Theeve = 14.2x WB

14/14.1/14.125 + Thunder/Venture/Tensor = 14.2x WB

Over time I've managed to distill it down to preferring a 14.3x or 14.4x" vs a shrunken one (DLX and NHS make lots of 14.353/14.44/14.38 wheelbases) somewhere over 14.25, but under 14.5

Aaaaannnd, ollies...I can ollie high on anything but prefer short boards/tails with Thunders (or Tensor ATGs which feel like Thunders but taller) on a 14.25" WB :P

5'10" / 31" inseam if that fucking matters at all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:27:50 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7135 on: December 16, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fingers of flat seems to be preference really, even if the Schmitt theory is more fingers = more finesse and fewer = more power (I can't say that more fingers = more finesse because I am loose/sloppy as fuck but from a personal pov, I can say that fewer fingers and a steeper tail definitely has more pop for me than a board with lots of flat).

What is the 'standard' for finesse, that's what I don't understand. Flip tricks in and out? Technical precision? If so that would mean shorter WB, say what you will, a shorter WB flips easier than a long one.

As for trucks, I don't feel trucks have much of an effect on this on their own per say, but DO in conjunction with wheelbase, e.g., let's say you like finesse (more fingers of flat), lots of boards with more fingers of flat seem to have shorter WBs on average (primitive is the best example), say 14" or 14.1x" so riding a thunder or venture pushes that out to 14.2x

8.25" is the standard WB, it's seemingly the most commonly used WB across all brands. Then take a roughly .25" +/- depending on brand, away from that:

14.25" WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.x" WB

14.3/4/5 WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.2x WB

Over time I've managed to distill it down to preferring a 14.3x or 14.4x" vs a shrunken one (DLX and NHS make lots of 14.353/14.44/14.38 wheelbases) somewhere over 14.25, but under 14.5

Aaaaannnd, ollies...I can ollie high on anything but prefer short boards/tails with Thunders (or Tensor ATGs which feel like Thunders but taller) on a 14.25" WB :P

Lots of information: much much thanks! This is dope

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7136 on: December 16, 2019, 08:43:04 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Take it all with a grain of salt as they say ;) people like what they like!

7th Chamber

« Reply #7137 on: December 16, 2019, 10:24:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

14.25" WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.x" WB

14.3/4/5 WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.2x WB

[close]

What the fuck? The wheelbase of a deck is measured from bolt hole to bolt hole. No truck is going to subtract a wheelbase measurement.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7138 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »
Axel to axel is what we are nattering on about......

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #7139 on: December 16, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
Do you guys remove the washers on your trucks?
I dont have any in my ace to allow me to keep them very loose without having a too loose kingpin nut...
support your local ramp-tramp