Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229663 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7440 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:53 PM »
I have been skating mostly Ace for several years and recently bought a set of Thunder to try out and I dislike the sound of them for the complete opposite reason. My board now sounds hollow and insignificant.

But who really cares about the sound if the board feels ok?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7441 on: January 09, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
This is interesting about the Ace pop sound. Maybe I should do a direct comparison with some other trucks I have. I do remember having loose kingpin Aces and popping on those made a thud-sound instead of a crisp snap until I fixed them.

I posted this earlier but Ace uses a completely different alloy than (most? all?) other trucks. Without heat treatment it's about the same hardness as the heat treated Indys/Thunders/Ventures and according to the Ace website only the axles are heat treated. This probably has an effect on many aspects of their performance.
[close]

Hmm maybe my kingpins are loose. Is the only way to check taking the hangar off? How would i go about fixing them, if so?

I can’t think of any other way. I fixed mine with some “steel epoxy”. I heard JB Weld is what is used in the US.

I don't understand why a loose kingpin would make your board sound dead...

This is a good question to which I don’t have a definite answer to. Maybe the loose kingpin absorbs the impact from the board hitting the ground making the pop sound less crispy? I’m just guessing here. 🤔

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7442 on: January 09, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
this idea has probably already been posted but i really like this truck setup.

Venture 6.1
Bones Hard top bushing
Thunder stock 92a roadside

on two bones hards, the stability was insane but the turn took all my lean and wouldnt max out at stock tightness. with the softer roadside bushing, i get more responsive turns and almost all the same amount of stability.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Diocletian

« Reply #7443 on: January 10, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »
Random helpful tip if anyone buys trucks that have a small to medium size spot where there’s a graphic or some sort of decal on it: razor blade for the main removal method and then a dry Mr Clean magic eraser to do a finishing polish and it will all vanish without a trace. Did it on my Theeve hanger where it says “TiAX” with the logo next to the letters. Was starting to bug me, looks much better fully raw.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7444 on: January 11, 2020, 06:26:50 AM »
Have you found a way to get that pesky : theeve off the baseplate? 

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #7445 on: January 11, 2020, 07:02:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is interesting about the Ace pop sound. Maybe I should do a direct comparison with some other trucks I have. I do remember having loose kingpin Aces and popping on those made a thud-sound instead of a crisp snap until I fixed them.

I posted this earlier but Ace uses a completely different alloy than (most? all?) other trucks. Without heat treatment it's about the same hardness as the heat treated Indys/Thunders/Ventures and according to the Ace website only the axles are heat treated. This probably has an effect on many aspects of their performance.
[close]

Hmm maybe my kingpins are loose. Is the only way to check taking the hangar off? How would i go about fixing them, if so?
[close]

I can’t think of any other way. I fixed mine with some “steel epoxy”. I heard JB Weld is what is used in the US.

Expand Quote
I don't understand why a loose kingpin would make your board sound dead...
[close]

This is a good question to which I don’t have a definite answer to. Maybe the loose kingpin absorbs the impact from the board hitting the ground making the pop sound less crispy? I’m just guessing here. 🤔

Yeah, i think it has to do with resonance, the same principals that makes instruments like xylophones work, you strike the wooden blocks and they start to vibrate, creating sound. Loose kingpins and softer materials dampens the sound, the vibrations can't be transferd through the truck, or something like that.

Diocletian

« Reply #7446 on: January 11, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
Have you found a way to get that pesky : theeve off the baseplate?

I don’t ever really see the “Theeve” in between the mounting nuts but I do frequently see the logo on the part in front of the kingpin and I admit I wish it wasn’t there, but that isn’t going away haha.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7447 on: January 11, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »
What's the weight difference on Indy standards vs ace?

SkateDesign

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7448 on: January 11, 2020, 09:02:49 PM »
I like magnesium Tensor trucks. The lightness helps you pop higher, so they're my favorite trucks.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #7449 on: January 12, 2020, 01:38:21 AM »
regarding lightness: I don't understand why Thunder does not have 151 Titaniums. I would buy them in an instance.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7450 on: January 12, 2020, 02:00:34 AM »
What's the weight difference on Indy standards vs ace?

If you're talking 149's vs 44's they're basically the same. Around 388-390g per truck. Once Ace comes out with their 8.5" 55's I'm guessing they'll be closer to 400g or heavier with the beefed up hanger etc.

Edit: Weighed them again. My scale is accurate-ish (no decimal points, so take these with a grain of salt), weighed the Aces at 392-394g, Indy's at 398-400g. Can't tell a difference in the hand, unlike if you palm a Venture forged and an Indy cast, where it's very noticeable. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:52:42 PM by palelight »

freeclout

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7451 on: January 12, 2020, 07:39:31 AM »
Had to pick up some new Riptides for my 6.1's.  These pivot cups are the only piece of skate gear that I never regret buying and improve the trucks 100% of the time.  Not to mention, they eliminate all squeaking

Just about to order some of these for my new Thunders. Never used Thunders before and they're feeling odd at the moment, even with 97a thunder bushings, coming from Ventures with Bone hards. Also looking to try some of the Riptide bushings too...
Any idea what riptide bushings work in Thunders best. Reckon i want 96a barrels on the bottom as i like a stable set up, especially at the back.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7452 on: January 12, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
Took of the recommendation of Ventures with stock bushings and Bones top washer and it feels fantastic.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7453 on: January 13, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »

anybody try something like this?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #7454 on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Is this someone skating 2 different trucks or was this to symbolize the exodus from indy to venture?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

sadnocomply

• Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7455 on: January 13, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

Ahhhh the good ol ventipendent ala indenture or simply vindy eh?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #7456 on: January 13, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »
Random helpful tip if anyone buys trucks that have a small to medium size spot where there’s a graphic or some sort of decal on it: razor blade for the main removal method and then a dry Mr Clean magic eraser to do a finishing polish and it will all vanish without a trace. Did it on my Theeve hanger where it says “TiAX” with the logo next to the letters. Was starting to bug me, looks much better fully raw.

Scrubbing with acetone should do the trick too! Just make sure to do it in a ventilated area and wear some rubber gloves.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Fuxxl

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7457 on: January 13, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »
Hey Guys do you think I can use the baseplate of venture lows 5.25 with a venture lights 5.8 hanger to get a cast venture?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7458 on: January 13, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Scrubbing with acetone should do the trick too! Just make sure to do it in a ventilated area and wear some rubber gloves.

Have also had success with eucalyptus oil funnily enough.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #7459 on: January 13, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »

Has science gone too far?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7460 on: January 13, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »

You mean skating Diadoras?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7461 on: January 13, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »
Hey Guys do you think I can use the baseplate of venture lows 5.25 with a venture lights 5.8 hanger to get a cast venture?
that's fine.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7462 on: January 13, 2020, 06:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Had to pick up some new Riptides for my 6.1's.  These pivot cups are the only piece of skate gear that I never regret buying and improve the trucks 100% of the time.  Not to mention, they eliminate all squeaking

[close]

Just about to order some of these for my new Thunders. Never used Thunders before and they're feeling odd at the moment, even with 97a thunder bushings, coming from Ventures with Bone hards. Also looking to try some of the Riptide bushings too...
Any idea what riptide bushings work in Thunders best. Reckon i want 96a barrels on the bottom as i like a stable set up, especially at the back.

I went through a long email chain with them on this very subject, they never had a real answer (which I took to mean nothing will).

Personally barrel bottoms on Thunders are meh, they just deaden the turn to me.

whenyousleep

« Reply #7463 on: January 13, 2020, 06:13:45 PM »
5.2 low ventures with 88 supercush bushings and riptides for me

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7464 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that's fine.

Ehhh. Low baseplate is going to have a shorter kingpin than the 5.8 (which they only make in high's). Probably different geometry overall as well. You can always try and see what happens. If the hanger doesn't sit flat against the bottom bushing, or if the kingpin nut barely catches threads, probably not going to work.

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #7465 on: January 13, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
that's fine.
[close]

Ehhh. Low baseplate is going to have a shorter kingpin than the 5.8 (which they only make in high's). Probably different geometry overall as well. You can always try and see what happens. If the hanger doesn't sit flat against the bottom bushing, or if the kingpin nut barely catches threads, probably not going to work.

venture hi and venture low bushings are the same exactly height for both top and bottom if i remember correctly. i dont see why it wouldn't work.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7466 on: January 13, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
that's fine.
[close]

[close]

venture hi and venture low bushings are the same exactly height for both top and bottom if i remember correctly. i dont see why it wouldn't work.

Yeah? Alright. Only have experience with the high's. If the bushings/kingpin are the same height I'd have to imagine a change in geometry is responsible for making them low. Which if that's the case, might be an issue running a high hanger. But if he has both, it wouldn't hurt anything to try.

freeclout

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7467 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I went through a long email chain with them on this very subject, they never had a real answer (which I took to mean nothing will).

Personally barrel bottoms on Thunders are meh, they just deaden the turn to me.

Cheers for reply..... Ordered the barrels and street cones anyway. I think I want to deaden the turn! At least get them to lean a little less at the extreme. Even with hard stock shape I can turn all the way til the washer hits the hanger and I'm not even that heavy. Don't wanna tighten them any more as they're already bulging.. I'll give them a go and im sure the pivots won't be a waste of time. The stock ones are squeaking like crazy at the moment.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7468 on: January 14, 2020, 06:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
that's fine.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah? Alright. Only have experience with the high's. If the bushings/kingpin are the same height I'd have to imagine a change in geometry is responsible for making them low. Which if that's the case, might be an issue running a high hanger. But if he has both, it wouldn't hurt anything to try.

I've been under the impression that with this iteration of Ventures, the only difference low and high is the hanger. I'd be very curious to see cast plates from lows and highs side-by-side to see if it is actually the case.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #7469 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:29 AM »
My go to is Indy 139 standards with aftermarket Indy 90a medium bushings, 8.25 board, 54mm wheels.

Was on a Thunder kick for the last year and had the wider 148s but didn't like the wider ride. Had to go back to 139 Indys after christmas.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.