Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232783 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7590 on: January 22, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
Want to buy new bushings for my indy 149s but I don't want to break them in or buy them right now. I have some Indy low conicals that are brand new that I was going to put on Thunders but I think it will throw the geometry off. Would I be correct to assume it would?

Recently had to post a pic here, Thunder bottom bushing is definitely taller than an Indy standard. I don't think any other brand has a bottom bushing as tall as Thunder.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108816.msg3198275#msg3198275

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #7591 on: January 22, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
Film 6.0
8.625 Axles (perfect for 8.38-8.75)
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Urethane pivot cups (no squeaking)
Super low kingpin

Ordered from https://eurotings.com/collections/all-film  which might be the only US distributor currently

Right off the bay they're stable as hell and turn amazingly well.  Almost like a stable Ace.  You can go DEEP before you get wheelbite.  Quality is flawless

Will report back after a couple sessions this weekend

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:08:04 PM by BMCsteve »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7592 on: January 22, 2020, 07:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
finally got a dry day even though it was cold as fuck and got the itch to skate. recently got some bones bushings because I heard they don't freeze up too bad when it's cold. tried them in a pair of spent indy 144 I had lying around, turned great but felt like it made the pop suck, figured I'd fuck around and put a pair of venture 5.8s on my board and just skate them and slipped both axles. so fucking bummed, had heelflips dialed in and nollie back 180s nice and popped today too. made my shit skate like a Walmart board though it was so bad, happened last time I had them on my board but I thought it was just cold weather or something.

back to indy I guess, I'll give these aces one more shot. bummed on the ventures though, was really loving them, but not really sold on buying another pair.
[close]

im so fucking sorry for doubting the axles.

Call it karma I guess.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The ACE magic is in bowls, they're not magical/anything special [to me] on street...I ran ACE 33 exclusively for about 2 years and skated great, no issues...lots of park, street, ditches, DIY.

I also prefer mid-trucks. Thunder (Cast usually), Venture Forged, Indy Forged, Theeve, ACE - all hovering around 52/53mm.

I suck at manuals but suck less doing them when riding thunders or ventures.

My weak-ass ledge game is about equal across them all but prefer Venture or Thunders.

Pop = Thunders all day...

I side with Prof. Schmitt, manuals and ollies tell me all I need to know about what I should skate. For me, if I can get those two together the rest is easy. I know I skate the best on Thunders (ACE in bowls) but the wheelbite is very couter productive, love hate relationship. When they work, it's great but when they don't (again wheelbite).

This is why I have the madness.
[close]

cant talk from experience yet but maybe look into the tensor atg. i think they are all 55mm in height and i hear that they perform similarly to thunder. definitely gonna be the next truck i try
[close]

That's what I'm current riding, I've not broken out the tape measure but axle to axle you can clearly see they sit a little taller than Venture cast so I assume the 55mm measurement is on point.

So far, they've been great and do feel like Thunders to me, I had zero adjustment skating them on tranny or street (compared to Ventures).

I really want to make the Ventures work the ollies and manuals were great (better manuals than the tensors) but the turn isn't as good in comparison.

Expand Quote
I lost impossibles with the truck change. Things clips on the way in goes vertically or goes 360 pressure flip.

I was amused for a like the first 4 or 5 misses I stopped trying at 12

Put aces on an boom 1st try.

Im not going to give up on this
[close]

Impossibles being THE trick I have on lock anywhere, anytime, trucks have ZERO impact on them if you are wrapping correctly (speaking strictly flatground here, not actually doing them over things where you do need your pop).
[close]

idk. Thats kinda my thing too. Think its because my aces where broken loose and now im on new ventures in 15 degree weather

I been impossibling for a few decades.

I got one a min ago but now im all sad boy again. Primo both fucking axles jammed and thats the end of my flirt with venture.

I want to fucking beat my own head in. Why oh why is this all happening. Brand new decks breaking low impact fucking axle slippage.

How do i post a video of me doing an impossible then beating my own head in with my fucking brand new 5.6s like im gg fucking allin.

Im going to go ask my shop for help tomorrow because im a fucking burnt out old fucking piece of gutter trash that cant afford fucking postage

Fuckfuckfuckfuck kline gzgicgudkgkcjf

Oh look my fist wrote the nane of someone who fucking hates me. Awesome  lets see what else i can focus out of this fucking pos....

ink inn by g2g nh txt gf g2g g2g cu fthcj b.s. khg hmmm xnghvhg

I feel you, decades here too. I remember it taking weeks, then I finally put in 3 straight fucking hours in a driveway until I got them (mostly stationary) and have pulled them out non-stop since. Up shit, down shit onto shit, out of shit, choose how much wrap, etc. It's my tre-flip.

Find the truck that works mang.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7593 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Want to buy new bushings for my indy 149s but I don't want to break them in or buy them right now. I have some Indy low conicals that are brand new that I was going to put on Thunders but I think it will throw the geometry off. Would I be correct to assume it would?
[close]

Recently had to post a pic here, Thunder bottom bushing is definitely taller than an Indy standard. I don't think any other brand has a bottom bushing as tall as Thunder.

The bottoms on my indy's aren't blown out, it's the top bushings. The lows seem like the top bushing is slightly lower. Might put on the top bushing only but then I'm afraid of some weird franken-truck shit.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7594 on: January 22, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The bottoms on my indy's aren't blown out, it's the top bushings. The lows seem like the top bushing is slightly lower. Might put on the top bushing only but then I'm afraid of some weird franken-truck shit.

Oh, understood. Top bushings aren't going to screw with your geometry, but yes Indy low top bushings are quite a bit shorter than standards. Just means you'll have to tighten the kingpin nut down more, definitely have some thread overhang and might turn differently depending how loose you run.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7595 on: January 22, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Oh, understood. Top bushings aren't going to screw with your geometry, but yes Indy low top bushings are quite a bit shorter than standards. Just means you'll have to tighten the kingpin nut down more, definitely have some thread overhang and might turn differently depending how loose you run.
Love the truck thread. Thanks man, just gonna order some. It's been so long since I fucked with bushings. Not since I was young and I skated trucks tight. Now I am liking looser trucks but I'm afraid the red ones will be too soft. Right now I have the orange ones that came with the trucks and I don't even remember when I bought them. Probably like 5 years ago because I didn't skate much over the years.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7596 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
finally got a dry day even though it was cold as fuck and got the itch to skate. recently got some bones bushings because I heard they don't freeze up too bad when it's cold. tried them in a pair of spent indy 144 I had lying around, turned great but felt like it made the pop suck, figured I'd fuck around and put a pair of venture 5.8s on my board and just skate them and slipped both axles. so fucking bummed, had heelflips dialed in and nollie back 180s nice and popped today too. made my shit skate like a Walmart board though it was so bad, happened last time I had them on my board but I thought it was just cold weather or something.

back to indy I guess, I'll give these aces one more shot. bummed on the ventures though, was really loving them, but not really sold on buying another pair.
[close]

Call it karma I guess.
all good man, I was just about to reply that I messaged them and they're gonna send me a new pair. send them a message for sure. dlx got back to me really fast, hoping this next pair lets me go to the axle because I fuck with dlx for that.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7597 on: January 22, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

Ordered from https://eurotings.com/collections/all-film  which might be the only US distributor currently

Right off the bay they're stable as hell and turn amazingly well.  Almost like a stable Ace.  You can go DEEP before you get wheelbite.  Quality is flawless

Nice. Any measurements for the affect on wheelbase?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7598 on: January 22, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Love the truck thread. Thanks man, just gonna order some. It's been so long since I fucked with bushings. Not since I was young and I skated trucks tight. Now I am liking looser trucks but I'm afraid the red ones will be too soft. Right now I have the orange ones that came with the trucks and I don't even remember when I bought them. Probably like 5 years ago because I didn't skate much over the years.

No worries. To give you an idea, people like Gerwer, Matt Rodriguez, and Jordan Trahan all shave down the top bushing to run super loose while still getting the nylock on the kingpin nut to catch. With a low top bushing you're getting the same effect without having to cut anything down.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7599 on: January 22, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

thats a good looking truck
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7600 on: January 22, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Call it karma I guess.
[close]
all good man, I was just about to reply that I messaged them and they're gonna send me a new pair. send them a message for sure. dlx got back to me really fast, hoping this next pair lets me go to the axle because I fuck with dlx for that.

yeah I slipped both knocked them back. Went home the board warmed up and they're back to normal i guess.

(A)pl(E)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7601 on: January 22, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

Hey, thanks for taking point on this one. I'm interested to hear how you like them.
I'm not 100% but I think these use 7000-series aluminum alloy so they should grind similar to Ace.
I think Offset skate shop in the UK had info on bushing heights if you wanna play around. Iirc you can use a normal bushings.

BMCsteve

« Reply #7602 on: January 22, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

I swapped thunders for them.  The measurement was 1/8" shorter with the Films

satan

« Reply #7603 on: January 22, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't messed with Thunders but the Supercush bottom bushing has always been thicker, top bushing thinner, by about 1mm. Been like this since the late-90's when I first saw the bait n tackle stuff, Lucky bushings were the same way too. Tiny differences but I could kinda feel it in the way the trucks carved.
My fave 90's setup was orange Supercush bottom shaved down to reg Indy height and stock Indy top bushing.
Felt more stable on center but also more carvy than stock Indy. And would return to center almost on its own when you stopped carving.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7604 on: January 22, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]

Thanks man. That'd put them firmly in the Indy measurement for wb, which is what Jeremie said in an interview about Film, so that makes sense.

satan

« Reply #7605 on: January 22, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks man. That'd put them firmly in the Indy measurement for wb, which is what Jeremie said in an interview about Film, so that makes sense.
I think you pay better attention to the numbers than I do.
This is similar to forged Indy? Tiny bit longer wb than cast Indy?
Daddy likey ;D

Steve. Check the height please. Think I've seen 51mm, 53mm, and 55mm listed.
1" = 25.4mm if you don't have metric stuff.
2" ~= 51mm..
1/8" ~= 3mm

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7606 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Daddy likey ;D

2" ~= 51mm..
1/8" ~= 3mm

If I go off my re-measure of Thunder Teams here, minus an 1/8" off 3.125" would put them right at +3," so in line with standard Indy cast.

Makes sense since Jeremie and Soy were long time Indy guys.

satan

« Reply #7607 on: January 22, 2020, 09:13:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Daddy likey ;D

2" ~= 51mm..
1/8" ~= 3mm
[close]

If I go off my re-measure of Thunder Teams here, minus an 1/8" off 3.125" would put them right at +3," so in line with standard Indy cast.

Makes sense since Jeremie and Soy were long time Indy guys.
Oh, ok. Didn't know that about them. But watching Jeremie's slappy game he strikes me as an Indy og.
Film are sounding really nice.. Hype them up for me guys. My next truck purchase will not be Indy's, I promise.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7608 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
For such a solid looking 8.6 truck, and now hollow/forged/titanium anywhere that im aware of, 360g is quite light considering Indy 159 hollow forged are 358.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7609 on: January 23, 2020, 02:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

I wanted to try Film badly but after seeing that top bushing now I'm fucking desperate and that sucks since is impossible for me to get them here in Chile... :'(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #7610 on: January 23, 2020, 04:54:36 AM »
Oh shit thanks Steve I've wanted to try Film for a long time but didn't know you could get them in the states.

Definitely going to order a set, I guess I'll have to save the D1/ATG for the next time my truck madness flares up.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7611 on: January 23, 2020, 06:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]
I wanted to try Film badly but after seeing that top bushing now I'm fucking desperate and that sucks since is impossible for me to get them here in Chile... :'(

right there no way thats going to lose contact with the hanger yoke when you turn.

My bones basically break into that shape and spooge into the yoke anyway.
(A)pl(E)

BMCsteve

« Reply #7612 on: January 23, 2020, 06:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]
[close]

right there no way thats going to lose contact with the hanger yoke when you turn.

I found this review about their bushings from an online store in the UK.  Pretty cool.  Also note that Tensor ATG have a similar top bushing which makes sense considering the same dude worked on both trucks

Most bushings are fairly standard – either a barrel or a cone for the bottom of the truck (i.e. nearest to the board) and a cone on the top. Some companies have played with inserts to make the bushing more solid, and some have produced “stepped” bushings to hold the bushing in place better, but as far as we’re aware none* have tried to eliminate or reduce one of the biggest sources of sloppy truck performance: the hangar moving around the kingpin.

FILM‘s bushings include an insert on the top cone which aims to do the same job a spherical bearing does on CNC trucks – namely keeping the kingpin central in the hangar.

Have you ever been on a truck and felt a slight deadzone, where the truck leans but doesn’t turn? These should help eliminate that.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7613 on: January 23, 2020, 07:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I found this review about their bushings from an online store in the UK.  Pretty cool.  Also note that Tensor ATG have a similar top bushing which makes sense considering the same dude worked on both trucks

Most bushings are fairly standard – either a barrel or a cone for the bottom of the truck (i.e. nearest to the board) and a cone on the top. Some companies have played with inserts to make the bushing more solid, and some have produced “stepped” bushings to hold the bushing in place better, but as far as we’re aware none* have tried to eliminate or reduce one of the biggest sources of sloppy truck performance: the hangar moving around the kingpin.

FILM‘s bushings include an insert on the top cone which aims to do the same job a spherical bearing does on CNC trucks – namely keeping the kingpin central in the hangar.

Have you ever been on a truck and felt a slight deadzone, where the truck leans but doesn’t turn? These should help eliminate that.

werd up.
(A)pl(E)

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7614 on: January 23, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I want you to hit axle on these. Report back in 3-9 months pls.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #7615 on: January 23, 2020, 07:30:41 AM »
I'm still curious about trying some Venture 5.2 Lows.

Right now I have hollow indy 139's (standards) on on a 14.25" wb deck with standard seeming fingers of flat - about 2 - before the kicks.

So to replicate the axle to axle wheelbase and maintain a good manual point I should look for a 14" wb deck with 2 fingers of flat? This sound right? This is according to Ben Degros vids. Thanks Ben if you read this!

I do a lot of manuals. Should I just get the 5.2 High's? I was thinking flip tricks might be fun on a lower board.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:38:38 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7616 on: January 23, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »

Right now I have hollow indy 139's on on a 14.25" wb deck with standard seeming fingers of flat - about 2 - before the kicks.

So to replicate the axle to axle wheelbase and maintain a good manual point I should look for a 14" wb deck with 2 fingers of flat? This sound right? This is according to Ben Degros vids. Thanks Ben if you read this!

I do a lot of manuals. Should I just get the 5.2 High's? I was thinking flip tricks might be fun on a lower board.

Can't go wrong with Ventures or Thunders. The WB length is a guideline more than hard and fast rules. A lot of other factors like board length, fingers of flat, truck height and wheel size will play into the overall picture.

I always refer to palelight's helpful post here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

More food for thought regarding Indy Forged vs Thunder Cast, both adding around 3.125 to WB:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.msg3187332#msg3187332

I tend to worry a lot about having too long a WB and find Thunder to be a more conservative truck. The word from Ben is that Ventures are slightly better for manuals. Personal preference here: I will go with High trucks over Low ones any way. The few millimeters really fucks with my pop and my tail hits too soon. Just me being knit picking and biased.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #7617 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Right now I have hollow indy 139's on on a 14.25" wb deck with standard seeming fingers of flat - about 2 - before the kicks.

[close]

Can't go wrong with Ventures or Thunders. The WB length is a guideline more than hard and fast rules. A lot of other factors like board length, fingers of flat, truck height and wheel size will play into the overall picture.

I always refer to palelight's helpful post here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

More food for thought regarding Indy Forged vs Thunder Cast, both adding around 3.125 to WB:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.msg3187332#msg3187332

I tend to worry a lot about having too long a WB and find Thunder to be a more conservative truck. The word from Ben is that Ventures are slightly better for manuals. Personal preference here: I will go with High trucks over Low ones any way. The few millimeters really fucks with my pop and my tail hits too soon. Just me being knit picking and biased.

Thanks! Wow those palelight posts are great. I used to not even try to think too much about trucks because it was so confusing and there are so many variables. Now the more I learn... the more variables I discover! It's more complicated than I even imagined.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

BMCsteve

« Reply #7618 on: January 23, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Film 6.0
53mm tall
360g
Cast baseplates
Interlocking top bushing
Super low kingpin

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I want you to hit axle on these. Report back in 3-9 months pls.

3-9 years*

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7619 on: January 23, 2020, 08:24:12 AM »
Went ahead and ordered the red soft Indy bushings. Been riding stock orange for like 5 years. Not too much skating in that time besides bursts of a couple months at a time but the top bushings are done. I like a looser ride nowadays so I hope these will help me get that feel.