Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233175 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8010 on: March 20, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Is the axle thread 5/16" on Indy and Thunder?
I gotta buy some new bolts, bcuz the threads are too worn to be safe.
[close]
Yeah. 5/16-24. 24 TPI, threads per inch..

Huh... A 5/16 nut is not enough? It must be 5/16-24? God bless murica...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8011 on: March 25, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »
Just setup some Ace's, I got sick from Indy bullshit. Also curious about getting some thunders to store after all this covid19 crap is done.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8012 on: March 25, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
As I come out of a Michigan winter hibernation, I've found it really helpful getting my tricks back to just shake everything up, regardless of logic or experience.

Had one session on my old Indy Ti 149's, which are going pretty strong despite axle slip.  Switched to my Ace 44's on my second session, and then amidst the global crisis, found it important to support my local, who went online only.

Only REALLY needed a new deck, but decided to buy Venture 6.1's to run on an 8.5 deck.  I figure the shops getting a bit more money, and it will skate like a wider version of 8.25 with 8.5 trucks, which was my ideal setup, pre 144's, 148's, 5.6's etc.

Fuck me!

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8013 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
Just setup some Ace's, I got sick from Indy bullshit. Also curious about getting some thunders to store after all this covid19 crap is done.
haven't really been out to skate so haven't taken mine off and swapped them yet but same tbh. not gonna lie 149 stage 11 standards might be my favorite trucks of all time but I haven't been stoked on indy in a long time, same time I haven't really settled into any one brand of trucks, not like I'm getting hooked up anyway.

can't wait till ace makes a 149 size truck if it ends up actually having harder metal, that might cure the itch for me. for now I'm happy skating any of the major brands and swapping them when I get over them, they all have their quirks.

still wondering when the last time thunder got an update though. I got my last pair back in 2013 and while they skate great if they've gotten an update I wanna try new ones. was hating on thunder for a while but I've come around to like the lowness since adjusting to ventures.

still love mushy surfy trucks though, but after skating them a while I start wanting to skate something a little more controlled, then get disappointed that it doesn't turn me into a tech lord instantly and start wanting my old stuff back.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8014 on: March 25, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
Usually I skate DLX boards. Krooked and Real. I've only skated them with Thunders (also DLX), and I guess they have a some what of a "match" duo to that. But being used to skating in the early 2000's with Grind King trucks, I do find it to require alot of effort.

So indy is the brand with shortest wheelbase? I do have a pair of old indy 139s (10 years old or so, very little used!) :D

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8015 on: March 25, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
haven't really been out to skate so haven't taken mine off and swapped them yet but same tbh. not gonna lie 149 stage 11 standards might be my favorite trucks of all time but I haven't been stoked on indy in a long time, same time I haven't really settled into any one brand of trucks, not like I'm getting hooked up anyway.

can't wait till ace makes a 149 size truck if it ends up actually having harder metal, that might cure the itch for me. for now I'm happy skating any of the major brands and swapping them when I get over them, they all have their quirks.

still wondering when the last time thunder got an update though. I got my last pair back in 2013 and while they skate great if they've gotten an update I wanna try new ones. was hating on thunder for a while but I've come around to like the lowness since adjusting to ventures.

still love mushy surfy trucks though, but after skating them a while I start wanting to skate something a little more controlled, then get disappointed that it doesn't turn me into a tech lord instantly and start wanting my old stuff back.

This will probably be me.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8016 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe I’m crazy, but I feel like the 5.6 cast ventures push the wheelbase out more than a 5.2 I need to measure but it felt a little longer. Might switch the plates too since not much is going on

edit- just remembered I marked my deck where the center of axle was and the 825 truck Deff has a wider wheelbase. Going to see if it’s a baseplate issue or how the hangar is
[close]

This could be the source of error. You should just measure axle to axle with the trucks on and use the avg of that number.
[close]

Ended up doing that and I basically just proved to myself that I’m a kook and was thinking too much into it. I long for the times when I could skate any deck and any truck and it wouldn’t matter.

I used to long for that as well and then realized there were long periods of time where I would skate shittier than usual and I just lacked the awareness to understand why. At least I have an answer(s) now.
Expand Quote
[close]

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8017 on: March 25, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Usually I skate DLX boards. Krooked and Real. I've only skated them with Thunders (also DLX), and I guess they have a some what of a "match" duo to that. But being used to skating in the early 2000's with Grind King trucks, I do find it to require alot of effort.

So indy is the brand with shortest wheelbase? I do have a pair of old indy 139s (10 years old or so, very little used!) :D

Indy is kind of middle of the road. The shortest ones I own are Ace, Theeve, and Film raw (but not hollow). Here's a handy (albeit somewhat outdated) chart

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fq4An-DEfqc/T8URoZ_4GFI/AAAAAAAAAs8/MCWo3sQAtcg/s1600/149+axle+placement.jpg

or here's a more recent list, although this relies on crowd-sourced data so there's no real guarantee that it's accurate but it should give you a decent idea of what to expect

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

Welcome to the madness.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8018 on: March 25, 2020, 04:29:24 PM »

did you ride gk high or lows?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8019 on: March 25, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »

Ace has the shortest wb if I recall correctly.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -448
« Reply #8020 on: March 25, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

highs give me better pop

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8021 on: March 25, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
Hey buttfart, can you give actual measurement of film axle?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8022 on: March 25, 2020, 07:10:47 PM »
decided to run my front truck almost rattling and the rear a little bit looser than stock with my thunders today and man have i been missing out. turning radius is freed up and i dont have to move so awkwardly/tic tac around in the pool im learning to skate.

swearing off of riding both trucks same tightness

e: i feel like all my truck turning grades have been completely unfair :-\
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:15:39 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8023 on: March 25, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
decided to run my front truck almost rattling and the rear a little bit looser than stock with my thunders today and man have i been missing out. turning radius is freed up and i dont have to move so awkwardly/tic tac around in the pool im learning to skate.

Same - front truck wobbly loose, back truck 1/2 a turn tighter than the front. Problem is I have to keep tightening my front nut between tricks when I'm on Tensors and Bones Soft Bushing. Didn't have this problem with Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8024 on: March 25, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same - front truck wobbly loose, back truck 1/2 a turn tighter than the front. Problem is I have to keep tightening my front nut between tricks when I'm on Tensors and Bones Soft Bushing. Didn't have this problem with Ventures.
try shaving them down. i do that with all my bushings so the nut can be flush and the trucks still wiggle a little. it might make more sense with harder duros but im not sure
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8025 on: March 25, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

highs give me better pop

I liked those too.

You likely would like the ace if you liked gk highs.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8026 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
try shaving them down. i do that with all my bushings so the nut can be flush and the trucks still wiggle a little. it might make more sense with harder duros but im not sure
Damn,  better late than never. I’ve always needed the front a half to full turn or so looser, always a better ride. My nut does get loose while on Bones mediums so I gotta shave it down

Daniel-J

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8027 on: March 26, 2020, 02:27:32 AM »
Usually I take my skateboard from my brother, he has a lot of them, he repairs and creates them.

Current Capeless

« Reply #8028 on: March 26, 2020, 04:19:48 AM »
Hi guys,

im riding Indys 159 with soft bones bushings and i love how it turns.
The bushings brake way too often and im thinking about downsizing my boards to an 8,4 - 8,5.
My question is what size ACEs should i get and how will they get comparable loose enough?
Stock bushings without washers? Other bushing brands?

Thanks!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8029 on: March 26, 2020, 05:07:56 AM »
Hi guys,

The bushings brake way too often and im thinking about downsizing my boards to an 8,4 - 8,5.
My question is what size ACEs should i get and how will they get comparable loose enough?

Thanks!
44 and don't touch the bushings
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #8030 on: March 26, 2020, 05:14:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks!
[close]
Keep stock bushings but change top washer to bones one.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Current Capeless

« Reply #8031 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks!
[close]
[close]
Keep stock bushings but change top washer to bones one.

Thank you, i will try this. Im getting so sick of broken bushings

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8032 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:21 AM »
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in years: I tightened up my trucks (Venture Hi's) a bit and holy shit, it was like activating a cheat code.  I went from having them as loose as possible (for Ventures) and brought them to about medium/almost medium-tight.

For a long time i rode my trucks very loose and enjoyed the feeling, but noticed I was losing tricks, so I just chalked it up to getting older, having destroyed ankles, and not skating as much.

Bullshit, I landed tricks I haven't done in years last night and popped higher than I've popped in a long time. I'm going to stay like this from now on, I skate better this way and the feeling is comfortable. They turn well enough that I barely notice it and my manual balance is as good as it's ever been.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8033 on: March 26, 2020, 07:17:09 AM »
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in years: I tightened up my trucks (Venture Hi's) a bit and holy shit, it was like activating a cheat code.  I went from having them as loose as possible (for Ventures) and brought them to about medium/almost medium-tight.

For a long time i rode my trucks very loose and enjoyed the feeling, but noticed I was losing tricks, so I just chalked it up to getting older, having destroyed ankles, and not skating as much.

Bullshit, I landed tricks I haven't done in years last night and popped higher than I've popped in a long time. I'm going to stay like this from now on, I skate better this way and the feeling is comfortable. They turn well enough that I barely notice it and my manual balance is as good as it's ever been.

Dude I don't need more truck madness!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8034 on: March 26, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same here, in pretty much set on getting some Thunders but Venture is knocking on my door. Only set I've ever had was back in 2013 and I remember the turning was not that good.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8035 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Same here, in pretty much set on getting some Thunders but Venture is knocking on my door. Only set I've ever had was back in 2013 and I remember the turning was not that good.

Not the deepest turn but they turn fine for me. The trick stability more than makes up for it. I cant skate Thunders for shit, the second I apply a tiny bit of weight to turn, they wheelbite like crazy. I could never get used to Thunders.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8036 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Not the deepest turn but they turn fine for me. The trick stability more than makes up for it. I cant skate Thunders for shit, the second I apply a tiny bit of weight to turn, they wheelbite like crazy. I could never get used to Thunders.
Same thing happens to me, now I feel like ventures... Also I feel like a truck whore.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8037 on: March 26, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
I always skated indys as a youngin and few thunders here and there. Just switched to venture this year and I can attest to getting so many tricks back with their stability. I ride everything stock I’ve been crumbling the bushings with the washers binding (I’m on my second set of stock bushings 3 full months of skating) but holy shit I’m more confident on my board than when I was 16. Ripping hills and tranny harder than before and skating sets and ledges in the streets hell even my mannys improved. 5.6 hi on my 8.1-8.25 setups and 5.8 on my big bois. Just really wanted to get away from indy and I’m never looking back. Idk why but ace, thunder, krux, theeve, indy, gk, tensor, all those brands just don’t appeal to me. Guess I’m a venture whore now fuck it! I have tried these trucks comfortably from 14-14.38 wheelbases. It’s the blessed zone.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8038 on: March 26, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »
Shit man, just here to confirm the stability if anyone here is on the fence about getting a set. Been more comfortable than I’ve been in years on my set of hi’s.
Bummed it didn’t try venture earlier

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8039 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »
You got me with the stability. As soon things get little less crazy I'll get some.
Is kinda hard to find them here but I saw some Worrest ones on my size
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.