Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231560 times)

Ayo95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8520 on: May 14, 2020, 06:01:14 PM »
Does anybody here have experience with Indy forged hollows 149 vs Venture 5.8 hollows? Tryna see what would work best with a 14.25 wheelbase

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8521 on: May 14, 2020, 06:30:32 PM »
Does anybody here have experience with Indy forged hollows 149 vs Venture 5.8 hollows? Tryna see what would work best with a 14.25 wheelbase

Tried some 5.8 hollows for a bit, my go-to's are 149 hollows (all on 14.25wb). It wasn't too extreme a difference to be honest. My back foot is in the pocket for pretty much everything so the Venture's felt a bit weird at first, I found my back foot going more towards the tip of tail to make things easier. But I got used to it. Ultimately the Indy's felt/feel more comfortable for me so I went back to them.

Ayo95

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8522 on: May 14, 2020, 06:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried some 5.8 hollows for a bit, my go-to's are 149 hollows (all on 14.25wb). It wasn't too extreme a difference to be honest. My back foot is in the pocket for pretty much everything so the Venture's felt a bit weird at first, I found my back foot going more towards the tip of tail to make things easier. But I got used to it. Ultimately the Indy's felt/feel more comfortable for me so I went back to them.

Thanks, gonna go with the Indys

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #8523 on: May 14, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Yes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8524 on: May 15, 2020, 06:01:09 AM »
By hollows you mean the V-Lights?
If yes I had both on a 8.5 with 14.25 wb and for sure I liked it way more on ventures.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8525 on: May 15, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
On nine club frank confirmed that a thunder, is just a thunder....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8526 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
On nine club frank confirmed that a thunder, is just a thunder....

I didn’t make it through all of that, but he also said that all of the sizes have the same geo, which isn’t really true. 147s are significantly lower than 148s and up

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8527 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
yeah I wonder if that's what they're gonna do going forward because I could've swore the 161s were higher than the 148-151 thunders too. either way really looking forward to grabbing a pair of regular cast thunder 149s because I loved the geo on the 148s, just a little small for me. hoping they're my end-all.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #8528 on: May 15, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
pretty sure 148,149 and 151 are 52mm. and 143,145 and 147 are 49. cast baseplates that is.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

colinquinn

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8529 on: May 16, 2020, 06:01:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Are thunders cursed in some way? They're the only truck that's randomly tossed me at high speed multiple times (times where a pebble or something were out of the question). There's a lot I don't really like about the stage 11's, but they've never betrayed me like thunders.
[close]

Speed wobble? Wheel bite? How?

I have a feeling thunders quick turn gets a little TOO quick at times.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8530 on: May 16, 2020, 06:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are thunders cursed in some way? They're the only truck that's randomly tossed me at high speed multiple times (times where a pebble or something were out of the question). There's a lot I don't really like about the stage 11's, but they've never betrayed me like thunders.
[close]

[close]

swap the conical bottom bushings for barrels and feel the difference. responsivenss is still there, but makes the turns super controlled and predictable
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8531 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:14 AM »
Indy hangars on Ace baseplates? Install downlows into my Aces and want to run 169s now... can I just switch hangars or should I just man up and smash the pin out

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8532 on: May 22, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
swap the conical bottom bushings for barrels and feel the difference. responsivenss is still there, but makes the turns super controlled and predictable

It’s crazy enough to work!

pretty sure 148,149 and 151 are 52mm. and 143,145 and 147 are 49. cast baseplates that is.

I agree
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #8533 on: May 22, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
Indy hangars on Ace baseplates? Install downlows into my Aces and want to run 169s now... can I just switch hangars or should I just man up and smash the pin out

I ran Indy hangers in Ace plates and they were successfully Acedependents with an Ace turn. Go for it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8534 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ran Indy hangers in Ace plates and they were successfully Acedependents with an Ace turn. Go for it.

I've got indy hangers on ace plates on my zip zinger and its great, do it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8535 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've got indy hangers on ace plates on my zip zinger and its great, do it.

What are the disadvantages? Sounds rad

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8536 on: May 23, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
...And it happened again... Broke a 3rd kingpin with Thunders. Thats 3 kingpins in less then a year, skating flatground. Its not like i'm overweight either... Im 79kg

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8537 on: May 23, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »
...And it happened again... Broke a 3rd kingpin with Thunders. Thats 3 kingpins in less then a year, skating flatground. Its not like i'm overweight either... Im 79kg

Hollow or regs? Cast or Forged?

Might be time to move on bro...are  you doing the same trick when they break? Same skate spot? Is there any pattern?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8538 on: May 23, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »
I've had the same problem when i skated Thunders. Also have broke a lot of hangers. All broke on flatground tricks so im kinda over Thunders at this point.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8539 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
Loosen up your trucks or use harder bushings. I’ve only broken one hollow kingpin in my life and I think it was because they were tight.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Vintagebody

« Reply #8540 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Might be time to move on bro...are  you doing the same trick when they break? Same skate spot? Is there any pattern?

Forged Hollows. They seem to really dislike reverts/pivots, as they have all broken during lazy 180s, or sharp 180 kick turns. All have snapped at the same spot too.

I went ahead and bought Team Raw's today. Hope the regular kingpin can cope better.
I ride medium/loose trucks, with medium bushings.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:20:10 AM by Vintagebody »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8541 on: May 23, 2020, 11:20:58 AM »
That's odd, how old are you if you don't mind me asking?
On my younger days I would snap like one kingpin every month if not more
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #8542 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Forged Hollows. They seem to really dislike reverts/pivots, as they have all broken during lazy 180s, or sharp 180 kick turns. All have snapped at the same spot too.

I went ahead and bought Team Raw's today. Hope the regular kingpin can cope better.
I ride medium/loose trucks, with medium bushings.

Couldn't hurt to contact DLX support and let them know about this

Vintagebody

« Reply #8543 on: May 23, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
I'm 27.

It wouldent have been a problem if the kingpin was easy to remove or install. But this is not the case at all.
I'm actually shocked by how stupidly stuck they have jammed it, and ive worked as industrial mechanic, specificly with hydraulics for the oil industry. One should not require special tools to be able to remove a kingpin, or to install a new one.

@yourbreakfsat: Yes ive contacted them. They have not confirmed if I get a replacement. Duo to corona they are not able to ship anything for now, atleast.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:54:46 AM by Vintagebody »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8544 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
that sucks, hopefully they set you straight. dlx is the shit, but I've never had luck with their trucks, been eyeing up thunders too, though I know we wont get along.

starting to get near the axle on my aces, giving me anxiety because idk what to get next. ace 44s seem to be hard to find atm, and I'd rather just get trucks from my local who does not carry ace unfortunately. new Indys, or new thunders...

I have some axle slipped ventures to kill off next, but I just couldn't get settled in on them, took forever to break in then I had to start busting the wheels loose every session, sucked. they looked cool as fuck though, gave me nostalgia.

indys feel like home, but I'm not sure if I wanna go home yet. it's kinda trashy there. lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8545 on: May 24, 2020, 06:50:05 AM »
Yeah....I bought a set of thunder teams on the basis I could pound out the old kingpin....put in krux d/l....my current set are ground down....

one popped out easy....the other....nope....heated in oven....kingpin bent from pounding....

Now what the hell do I do?  I have a baseplate I can't use, and do you think I have the gall to try and explain this to DLX? 

New hanger....meet old baseplate....

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8546 on: May 24, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
Yeah....I bought a set of thunder teams on the basis I could pound out the old kingpin....put in krux d/l....my current set are ground down....

one popped out easy....the other....nope....heated in oven....kingpin bent from pounding....

Now what the hell do I do?  I have a baseplate I can't use, and do you think I have the gall to try and explain this to DLX? 

How bad is the bend? Could it be cut near the baseplate and hammered out the rest of the way?

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8547 on: May 24, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »
indys feel like home, but I'm not sure if I wanna go home yet. it's kinda trashy there. lol

that is the perfect way to summarise indys at the moment i feel

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8548 on: May 24, 2020, 11:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How bad is the bend? Could it be cut near the baseplate and hammered out the rest of the way?

Not a bad idea....I just assumed it was lodged in there so tight, it wouldn't make a difference...but yah...I could hacksaw it down and try again....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8549 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:43 PM »
It’s crazy how hard products are to come by

Tactics doesnt even have a pair of thunders
yes