Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220748 times)

sketchyrider

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9690 on: January 15, 2021, 09:45:49 AM »
Continuing down the rabbit hole of light vs. "heavy" trucks I laced up standard thunder 149's last night.  I hope it is not confirmation bias, but they seemed to behave as I had hoped. The pop was good and the board definitely stuck to my feet more.  My catch on kickflips and heelflips was very nice (for my level of skill, at least). No issues with rocketing.  Again, maybe it is all in my head and I just caught a good session with fresh legs, but either way I'm going to stay on these for a bit.

i've thought about goin down to standard 149's from 159 titaniums in case i have this same reaction, lol. long ago i had a pair of 149's i loved, wondering if its still there.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9691 on: January 15, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »
anyone know how many grams a downlow kingpin pin saves?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9692 on: January 15, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
anyone know how many grams a downlow kingpin pin saves?
About 7

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #9693 on: January 15, 2021, 04:16:19 PM »
imo thunders with the cast baseplate is the perfect height with 54mm-51mm. No ghost pop and less wheel bite than with thunder forged.

Currently running:
Thunder team Raws
Bones mediums white
Normal bushing washers, top and bottom
All silver washers and nuts

Kaydubbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #9694 on: January 15, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the help with bushings guys. I'm thinking of buying some thunder 161s. Anyone have any experience on them yet? I was using Indy 169 but just sold them. They felt way to squirrelly and unstable for me.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9695 on: January 15, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
Thanks for the help with bushings guys. I'm thinking of buying some thunder 161s. Anyone have any experience on them yet? I was using Indy 169 but just sold them. They felt way to squirrelly and unstable for me.

I use 161’s on some of my bigger set ups. Can be a little squirrely but not unstable, imo. I ride those somewhere between loose and medium. Feel lighter and less clunky than 169’s but lower. I use 1/4 risers to avoid wheelbite. Pop is nice and crisp (I know it sounds silly, I don’t know any other way to put it lol).

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9696 on: January 17, 2021, 05:53:53 AM »
Bought some of the riptide pivot cups and some black Indy 94a bushings. Will report back!
how were they? Did you put the 94a in 169ti? Stock bushings too soft for me too

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9697 on: January 17, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
Had a decent session on 147 hollows. Anyone have a deck pairing they like?

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9698 on: January 17, 2021, 07:30:49 AM »

Forged plates/cast on a medium kick shorter WB deck works well for me...
The theories 8 inch 14.125wb deck works best imo.
*warning tho, theories decks are flat as fuck but decent kicks..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9699 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9700 on: January 17, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd pair Thunder forged with any deck with steep kicks to lower the pop. Ventures used to be my go to but the forged baseplate extends too far out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9701 on: January 17, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd pair Thunder forged with any deck with steep kicks to lower the pop. Ventures used to be my go to but the forged baseplate extends too far out.

Lower the pop!? You have not seen me struggle, ha. I’ve been trying to lower trucks, again, because it hurts less to pop. Pain or no, I’m  barely getting off the ground.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9702 on: January 17, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
Would one really notice much going from 149 to 144 on an 8.25?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9703 on: January 17, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »

In my experience, the 144's are a little squirrel-y compared to 149's on an 8.25.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #9704 on: January 17, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my experience, the 144's are a little squirrel-y compared to 149's on an 8.25.

I second this. I’ve skated both, but an 8.5 axle truck on an 8.25 deck is nice. Increases stability and easier to lock on grinds, and no noticeable detriment on flip tricks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9705 on: January 17, 2021, 02:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I second this. I’ve skated both, but an 8.5 axle truck on an 8.25 deck is nice. Increases stability and easier to lock on grinds, and no noticeable detriment on flip tricks.

I disagree. As far as truck to deck sizing, +/- .25”. So in this case, I’d run 144s on 8-8.5” decks. Trucks wider than the deck is better for some folks for ledges and lip tricks, and possibly for bombing hills. Trucks narrower better for flipping, quicker turning, less wheelbite.
It’s all personal preference, so when I say ‘I disagree’, I should be saying ‘this is what works better for me’ 

ballintoohard

« Reply #9706 on: January 17, 2021, 04:21:54 PM »
I have these 149 from when I was on 8.38/8.5. They've got life left, got a fairly new set of 139 as well, however, I don't see myself going above 8.25. Wasn't sure how much I'd notice 139 vs 144 or 144 vs 149 to warrant coping some.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9707 on: January 17, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »
I have these 149 from when I was on 8.38/8.5. They've got life left, got a fairly new set of 139 as well, however, I don't see myself going above 8.25. Wasn't sure how much I'd notice 139 vs 144 or 144 vs 149 to warrant coping some.

Put the 149s on with NO washers on the inside (two on the outside) more so just to feel where the wheels sit, because that is almost the same as with two washers on the inside of 144s.

In the same way, put three washers on the inside of the 139s and compare where your wheels sit in relation to the 149s with no washers.  On my setups, they are almost the same.

As much as the truck axle ends sit at 8.5 on 149s, usually unless you have three washers on the inside and or fat wide wheels, your truck and wheel setup is never going to be that wide, which is why people had successfully run 149s on 8.25s for a long time before 144s came in.

* Sometimes trucks will not fit three washers, but if you don't run spacers in your wheels, they fit with room to spare on most wheels I have done this with.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9708 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »

I had a Business & Company 8" (14" wb) that I used those trucks with (before heading back to my 7.75 + Indy combo). It was a pretty awesome setup, but I just felt too weird making such a change from 7.75/ Indys so... I didn't "allow" myself to fully enjoy it. BUT it was a nice setup, quick pop and quick flip.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9709 on: January 18, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a Business & Company 8" (14" wb) that I used those trucks with (before heading back to my 7.75 + Indy combo). It was a pretty awesome setup, but I just felt too weird making such a change from 7.75/ Indys so... I didn't "allow" myself to fully enjoy it. BUT it was a nice setup, quick pop and quick flip.

14” wb the key, same with 8”. I want a Gino deck, for obvious reasons, but B&C or one of those Gangemi decks would be more interesting.
Thanks for the rec

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9710 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

14” wb the key, same with 8”. I want a Gino deck, for obvious reasons, but B&C or one of those Gangemi decks would be more interesting.
Thanks for the rec

I was going to say the Gino 8.18", but I used Venture Low 5.25s with it (this is 3 years ago) not Thunders. BUT in saying that... that was also a good setup

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9711 on: January 18, 2021, 09:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the rec
[close]

I was going to say the Gino 8.18", but I used Venture Low 5.25s with it (this is 3 years ago) not Thunders. BUT in saying that... that was also a good setup

That was the plan, 8.18 with 5.2 lo’s.
Alternatively I could just skate more often, and forget about acquiring gear that will change results, negligibly at best

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9712 on: January 18, 2021, 09:46:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the rec
[close]

[close]

Alternatively I could just skate more often, and forget about acquiring gear that will change results, negligibly at best

I'm in the same boat really. I'm currently trying to dodge the yearn to Ventures (yet again) but really, I haven't got to skate in 3 weeks so I have too much time on my hands

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9713 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the rec
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm in the same boat really. I'm currently trying to dodge the yearn to Ventures (yet again) but really, I haven't got to skate in 3 weeks so I have too much time on my hands

I've swapped between Thunder and Venture, really love Venture but I keep going back to Thunder. Venture wins on pinch but Thunders are much more versatile with more deck dims.

Does anyone have a review of Venture Titaniums?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9714 on: January 18, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the rec
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've swapped between Thunder and Venture, really love Venture but I keep going back to Thunder. Venture wins on pinch but Thunders are much more versatile with more deck dims.

What is this versatility (with decks) that you speak of?

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between 5.2 lo’s and 147s, for ever. I’ll also use 5.2 hi’s from time to time, but have never been super stoked on a setup with them. Hilariously the 5.0 hi’s and I got along great, but they look so ridiculous that I couldn’t.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9715 on: January 18, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the rec
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What is this versatility (with decks) that you speak of?

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between 5.2 lo’s and 147s, for ever. I’ll also use 5.2 hi’s from time to time, but have never been super stoked on a setup with them. Hilariously the 5.0 hi’s and I got along great, but they look so ridiculous that I couldn’t.

Bro science opinion here but Thunder 147 and 148 pair well with most deck deck dimensions. Rode them on 8 x 31.6 x 14, 8 x 31.75 x 14.25, 8.125 x 31.8 x 14.25 and 8.25 x 32.1 x 14.125 and they've performed well under all these deck dimensions, unlike Ventures which I feel only pair well with long length with short wheelbase because of how much they shift wheelbase outwards (3.25-3.5"). And even all the times I've tried pairing Venture with the latter deck dimensions, I find myself going back to Thunders.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9716 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:49 PM »
Weird question. Some bottom barrel bushings have a straight cut on one side and a more rounded chamfer on the other side. Which side would you put facing the bottom washer and which side into the truck hanger?

Diocletian

« Reply #9717 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:36 AM »
Rounded side against truck hanger, flat side against washer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #9718 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:22 AM »
Weird question. Some bottom barrel bushings have a straight cut on one side and a more rounded chamfer on the other side. Which side would you put facing the bottom washer and which side into the truck hanger?
Rounded side against truck hanger, flat side against washer.

Yes that is how most trucks come with stock bushings, the flat part is against the washer and the more textured part is against the truck hanger.

If you look at the top one and which ever is the same look finish, make that part the same on the bottom, as most (not all) are now fairly well finished, no big air bubbles or chunks or urethane overbleed the way they all used to come, looking so unfinished from back in the day.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9719 on: January 19, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
thought i was gonna stick with ace, but now i'm considering getting thunder 148s because i'm liking these 147s that i had laying around, but want that 2mm extra height, but i'm also considering downsizing to 7.875 and what if 148s are a tad too wide? who's bright idea was it to make 147s shorter?
on the other hand, i wouldn't mind if ace had a forged baseplate option to be 1-1.5mm shorter because it's already got great wheelbite clearance and would probably still beat thunder if it weren't as tall