Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220535 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9780 on: February 02, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
I concur. I measured my Forged Hollow Indy and Thunder Team and they were extremely close if not identical in WB. If you do the math the slightly lower height of the Thunders offsets the length difference. And both turn pretty similar the way I have them setup to where it comes down to slight preference. If I ran conical bushings on the Indy I’m not sure I would notice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9781 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

Tensor ATG Mag Light 5.75 (8.5 inch)
-Tensor stock top bushing, Titanium top bushing cup from eBay.
-Bones hard bottom bushing, no bushing cup.
-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)
-ACER Racing titanium kingpin nut (also thinner, also on Black Friday sale)
-Individual truck started at 274g, and now weighs in at 256g

Great job on the finish, those are SAF! I'm running the Bones meds top and bottom, same overall effect as the tensor top, no bottom washer and Ti nuts as well on my Maglights; that washer tho...looks sick...ebay seller has it listed at 6.2g, stock cup washer is 4/5g ...@$12 a washer, it's adding weight? I just use the bones washer on top (2g)..thunder are 4g each as well tho, indy's are, like everything else they make, heavier as well (but if I had t bet, more durable).

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #9782 on: February 08, 2021, 07:01:42 PM »
Great job on the finish, those are SAF! I'm running the Bones meds top and bottom, same overall effect as the tensor top, no bottom washer and Ti nuts as well on my Maglights; that washer tho...looks sick...ebay seller has it listed at 6.2g, stock cup washer is 4/5g ...@$12 a washer, it's adding weight? I just use the bones washer on top (2g)..thunder are 4g each as well tho, indy's are, like everything else they make, heavier as well (but if I had t bet, more durable).

Thanks Xen! So I took one off and it measured in at just a hair above 3g. So they are MARGINALLY lighter, haha. Luckily I got the top washer cheaper than it is now. But also I figured, might as well go that extra step, complete the light weight Titanium mania. Haha

Also, for that inverted kingpin loving crowd, I found a Ti bolt from an auto parts resource that is like a flat top Bones washer as the head of the bolt. It's perfect kingpin size, length, pitch, etc. Here it is mocked up with a Bones bushing (it's my bottom bushing, but it gets the point across...) Not modding these trucks to use this, but I will be putting them in some Indy's after I buy a pair of the new inverted baseplates when those are on the market.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9783 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
I don’t know what it is about these thunder 145’s. But I just can’t get them to turn. I’ve had thunders before that had somewhat of a twitchy turn, but these just don’t turn. The kingpin nut isn’t even flush, they are barley screwed on. I have just normal 90a green thunder bushings that they come with, and they feel like they are cranked down. Any suggestions?
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9784 on: February 08, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
I don’t know what it is about these thunder 145’s. But I just can’t get them to turn. I’ve had thunders before that had somewhat of a twitchy turn, but these just don’t turn. The kingpin nut isn’t even flush, they are barley screwed on. I have just normal 90a green thunder bushings that they come with, and they feel like they are cranked down. Any suggestions?

I had the same issue with my 147’s. I greased the pivot cup and switched to bones soft bushings (flat washer on top). Worked like a charm and they turned nice after that.

Hope that helps!

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9785 on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the same issue with my 147’s. I greased the pivot cup and switched to bones soft bushings (flat washer on top). Worked like a charm and they turned nice after that.

Hope that helps!

yea, I tried putting some wax in the pivot cups and it helped somewhat for a very temporary time. what did you use exactly to grease the pivot cup? and also, I’ve always heard bones bushings don’t fit in thunders properly. Maybe I’ll get a set and see for myself. thank you.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9786 on: February 08, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

yea, I tried putting some wax in the pivot cups and it helped somewhat for a very temporary time. what did you use exactly to grease the pivot cup? and also, I’ve always heard bones bushings don’t fit in thunders properly. Maybe I’ll get a set and see for myself. thank you.

I use some food grade grease I got for repairing my wife’s mixer and it works great

Sta-Lube Synthetic Food Grade Grease, 14 Wt Oz, SL35610 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PB6SNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5F8CCNB2S8F0JQKGPDTE

As for the bushing fit, they work fine for me! I’ve got them on a couple sets of thunders with no problem but I’ll check and see if the bushings are the same size when I get a chance tomorrow

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9787 on: February 08, 2021, 09:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

Are they just too tight with the existing setup?

Often to cut down the top bushing a touch means you can get the nut on well and they will perform much better for you, without having to go out and get other bushings, etc.

I have posted the info about it a few times so can link it to you if you want, more so than post it again (see below).

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3416326#msg3416326

The other thing I have seen some people do just to wear the bushings in is take the bottom metal washer off for a session or two, until they wear in or soften up.

Are you in colder weather right now, cause that could be part of it too?  Colder weather makes bushings harder, so they will not turn as easily or at all, especially if you are in very cold areas, as I see many people are right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9788 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hope that helps!
[close]

[close]

Are they just too tight with the existing setup?

Often to cut down the top bushing a touch means you can get the nut on well and they will perform much better for you, without having to go out and get other bushings, etc.

I have posted the info about it a few times so can link it to you if you want, more so than post it again (see below).

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3416326#msg3416326

The other thing I have seen some people do just to wear the bushings in is take the bottom metal washer off for a session or two, until they wear in or soften up.

Are you in colder weather right now, cause that could be part of it too?  Colder weather makes bushings harder, so they will not turn as easily or at all, especially if you are in very cold areas, as I see many people are right now.

yea, no matter what I do they just don’t turn enough. And it isn’t the weather, I’m in Florida and it’s already getting hot here.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9789 on: February 09, 2021, 01:26:49 PM »
Just my experience, but I found the stock bushings to be on the stiff side for a minute, but they broke in real nice after a session or two.
Mind if I ask what you weigh?
Could be you just need a softer bushing if you’re on the “slimmer side” of physiques.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ballintoohard

« Reply #9790 on: February 09, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
I like stock Thunder bushings and want the whites, but can never find that color. DM or reply here if you know somewhere with them in stock.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #9791 on: February 10, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »
Someone mentioned Tensor bushings not working with all trucks. Does anyone know which trucks they do fit? They sound interesting, but don’t wanna end up wasting money.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9792 on: February 10, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »
Someone mentioned Tensor bushings not working with all trucks. Does anyone know which trucks they do fit? They sound interesting, but don’t wanna end up wasting money.

What trucks do you use? I have tensor bushings and a bunch of different trucks but I'm not gonna go try 'em all.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #9793 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What trucks do you use? I have tensor bushings and a bunch of different trucks but I'm not gonna go try 'em all.
Haha. Right on. I’m on Thunder now.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9794 on: February 17, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »
What are the biggest wheels you'd put on forged Indys?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9795 on: February 17, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
I'd say 54mm if you want a juicy turn without wheelbite

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #9796 on: February 17, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd say 54mm if you want a juicy turn without wheelbite

Noted. I got 55 classics for longevity.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #9797 on: February 17, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/HE3kFwDlD7g

Getting into the washer talk on Nine Club. Skip to 13:53 to hear Rog talk about washers.
Skip to 11:32 for talk on spacers and washer.
[close]
painful
[close]

Kelly Hart thinks his thunders 147s are not light, thats cute
The years of skateboarding experience in that room versus how much collective knowledge is in that room is stark.

Diocletian

« Reply #9798 on: February 17, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »
I can't seem to find a definitive answer online, does anyone know if the material used for solid axles is the same material they use for hollow ones? Or do they use a stronger alloy for hollows? Trying to determine whether a solid axle is more prone to bending vs a hollow one.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9799 on: February 17, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »
I can't seem to find a definitive answer online, does anyone know if the material used for solid axles is the same material they use for hollow ones? Or do they use a stronger alloy for hollows? Trying to determine whether a solid axle is more prone to bending vs a hollow one.
At the very least, I know a hollow axle is stronger than a solid one of the same material. I would assume the material is the same.

ssu_kim.korea

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9800 on: February 17, 2021, 09:03:44 PM »
I'd like to know the link to the ti kingpin purchase.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #9801 on: February 17, 2021, 09:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I just went down a rabbit hole of modding some Tensor ATG Mag Lights. I was interested to try out the lightest trucks possible, plus I hear mag hangers grind like butter. However, I am not a fan of painted trucks, so I stripped it and then hit it with a mag car wheel polish/sealer to help at least a little against oxidation. Here's one stripped and one with the paint.

I went full geek mode and swapped out some parts to make them lighter and turn more to my liking.

Tensor ATG Mag Light 5.75 (8.5 inch)
-Tensor stock top bushing, Titanium top bushing cup from eBay.
-Bones hard bottom bushing, no bushing cup.
-Riptide pivot cups.
-ACER Racing titanium axel nuts (thinner, allowing one extra speed washer on hanger side, got on Black Friday sale)
-ACER Racing titanium kingpin nut (also thinner, also on Black Friday sale)
-Individual truck started at 274g, and now weighs in at 256g

[close]

holy fuck this is the coolest shit ever that stripped mag light looks fucking sickkk.
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #9802 on: February 17, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At the very least, I know a hollow axle is stronger than a solid one of the same material. I would assume the material is the same.

i think i read somewhere on slap that hollow kingpins/axles are stronger because of the shape/form - thus making different material unnesscary.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #9803 on: February 17, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »
i am curious to know how much weight is taken off when a standard indy (~144) is ground down to the axle.

also why do people switch out the trucks when they hit the axle? i suppose you could still grind the axle, or does it snap instantly and/or make the grinds super sticky?

been trying to peice together a cruiser, wanted the indy turn with less weight :p

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #9804 on: February 17, 2021, 09:52:07 PM »
i am curious to know how much weight is taken off when a standard indy (~144) is ground down to the axle.

also why do people switch out the trucks when they hit the axle? i suppose you could still grind the axle, or does it snap instantly and/or make the grinds super sticky?

been trying to peice together a cruiser, wanted the indy turn with less weight :p

No, they don’t snap right away. I have a set of Indy hollows that have both been axled for about 6-7 months (regularly skating 3-4 times a week.) I’m surprised they haven’t cracked, seeing as they are hollows. The grinds aren’t sticky but definitely don’t grind as well as the regular aluminum hangar metal. I actually won an Indy mid gift box from cowtown/Indy for having axled trucks. I think they were expecting me to switch them out right away, but I’m still skating the old set.  People skate them hard, even with cracks in them.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9805 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:52 PM »
That axle grinds hella good!
At least that’s my experience. I try to ride them until they fail apart as a matter of pride, but also because they never grind so well as the do when they’re actually into the axle.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:07:23 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #9806 on: February 18, 2021, 12:20:45 AM »
Random question, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone ride smaller trucks than their deck width? Hearing Reynolds and some other OGs ride like 8.0 trucks on 8.5 decks had me really intrigued for awhile but I never bothered to try.

I heard it makes scooping and flipping tricks easier? Any downsides aside from stability and grinding space? Wanted to see if there are any strong opinions out there before I take apart my deck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9807 on: February 18, 2021, 03:20:53 AM »

Maybe a Ben DG video, his standards were lighter when worn down than his hollow forged or something, but it might only reduce the weight by 20 grams unless you really took a lot off each truck.

I often try to save old trucks worn down to axle and use them on cruisers or even boards that people don't grind on much, so that is a good retirement and they can last indefinitely.

Some people take great pride in grinding them until they break, and as said that can take a long time even after you hit axle, but if they are skated as normal trucks until they are down to axle and at the point where new trucks would be good, that is the time to turn them into cruiser trucks.  Solid axle will last longer than hollow axle when they grind down.

These have been on ebay au for a while (not mine), but I don't need any more trucks.  They definitely seem at the far end of useful life, but the weight loss would be considerable.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Independent-Trucks-144-Hollow/164702931385

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9808 on: February 18, 2021, 03:33:41 AM »
Random question, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone ride smaller trucks than their deck width? Hearing Reynolds and some other OGs ride like 8.0 trucks on 8.5 decks had me really intrigued for awhile but I never bothered to try.

I heard it makes scooping and flipping tricks easier? Any downsides aside from stability and grinding space? Wanted to see if there are any strong opinions out there before I take apart my deck.

Lots of people do, some by accident and some on purpose who love the "magic carpet ride".

It definitely changes the feel of the board, but generally a truck that sits fairly evenly with the deck or a bit under works best.  A good way just to feel it out too is take out all the axle washers and that will narrow the wheels on the trucks by a few mm, but I prefer washers on the inside and wheels sitting wide, but still not more than the deck is wide.

Sizing down a lot makes a board very tippy, but I know people like the feel of that, some saying it is better for flips, etc.

What are you on now and what are you thinking of trying?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #9809 on: February 18, 2021, 01:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lots of people do, some by accident and some on purpose who love the "magic carpet ride".

It definitely changes the feel of the board, but generally a truck that sits fairly evenly with the deck or a bit under works best.  A good way just to feel it out too is take out all the axle washers and that will narrow the wheels on the trucks by a few mm, but I prefer washers on the inside and wheels sitting wide, but still not more than the deck is wide.

Sizing down a lot makes a board very tippy, but I know people like the feel of that, some saying it is better for flips, etc.

What are you on now and what are you thinking of trying?

Thanks for the advice on the washers. I might try that out first.

I have a hockey 8.25 with Indy 144 standards. They feel really nice, but even though I wore them down, the trucks are heavy for me. I was thinking of tossing some Indy 129 titaniums I have on a cruiser on it to see how it would feel. Would the 129s and extra washers be weird you think? I’ve ridden 8.0 trucks on a 8.25 but haven’t gone down like 2 sizes before.

*Edit - for the record, I’m not a tall dude and can skate the 129s completely fine on a smaller deck (they don’t feel too unstable when riding on a 7.75 for example).