Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232529 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9930 on: March 22, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
I never quite understood how people are willing to put up to the Venture washer/bushing issue. It was a thing back in the day as well and shows the truck isn't super well engineered OR should come with a different top washer.

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #9931 on: March 22, 2021, 09:46:53 PM »
I never quite understood how people are willing to put up to the Venture washer/bushing issue. It was a thing back in the day as well and shows the truck isn't super well engineered OR should come with a different top washer.

The simple fact that you need to have a specific tool in order to access the nuts to slap them on a deck is too much for me. Didn't even know the washers dug into the hanger on top of that, I guess it would be easily avoidable with a flat washer though.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #9932 on: March 22, 2021, 09:58:07 PM »
I just retired my ventures and am very stoked. The design flaw with the front nuts is infuriating. I’ll post pictures at a different time of my unit tool, which gained a small tiger stripe from rubbing on the axle.

sketchyrider

« Reply #9933 on: March 23, 2021, 05:21:46 AM »
for what its worth, the top washer can dig into my indys too. not real bad, but it still happens.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9934 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:49 AM »
For people who like Ventures, the washers stopping the hanger is part of the appeal...the perceived stability and the pinch. That being said, I always tell myself I can deal with it but at the end of the day I always end up going back to Ace.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9935 on: March 23, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »
Just put some bones bushings with the bones flat washer on my 5.2 hi's after i noticed the stock washer would dig into the hanger. Only ridden indy and thunder all my life. I gave the 5.0 lo a try on a board couple years back but litteraly gave them away to the lil homie lol. Well see. Part of me just likes the look of venture on my board because thats what all the rad tech skaters rode when i was coming up.

Diocletian

« Reply #9936 on: March 23, 2021, 07:19:09 AM »
If you ride loose with cupped top washers, just about every single truck out there will have that thing digging into the hanger at some point. I learned that cupped top washers suck and restrict turning quite substantially regardless if it's touching the hanger or not. Flat Bones top washers are a game changer. Or if you're not running a Bones top bushing, you can just omit a top washer altogether and unlock a way better turn. The nut will make the center of the bushing sorta cave in after awhile but it doesn't seem to affect the performance because there's no plastic core to break.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9937 on: March 23, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
I was able to find some heat treated (grade 8?) flat washers, that fit over the kingpin just about perfectly & had no “overhang” beyond the edge of the the top bush, at my local hardware store. They never bent/distorted & were around 80 cents apiece.
Anymore these days though, I’m running my trucks stock, out of the box, so to speak. I’m not even tightening them shits down, even though I prolly ought.
‘Course, I’m pretty much on Indy, Thunder, & Ace only, so I’ve got nothing to add as far as Ventures go.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9938 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The simple fact that you need to have a specific tool in order to access the nuts to slap them on a deck is too much for me. Didn't even know the washers dug into the hanger on top of that, I guess it would be easily avoidable with a flat washer though.

The hardware thing is not even an issue. At least for me. Yes I have to angle to tool but it still works fine. Not as much of a pain as people make it out to be.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #9939 on: March 23, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The hardware thing is not even an issue. At least for me. Yes I have to angle to tool but it still works fine. Not as much of a pain as people make it out to be.
I’ve never had issues putting ventures on and they’re all I’ve ridden since 1993. And the washer thing, so what.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9940 on: March 23, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »
I was able to find some heat treated (grade 8?) flat washers, that fit over the kingpin just about perfectly & had no “overhang” beyond the edge of the the top bush, at my local hardware store. They never bent/distorted & were around 80 cents apiece.
Anymore these days though, I’m running my trucks stock, out of the box, so to speak. I’m not even tightening them shits down, even though I prolly ought.
‘Course, I’m pretty much on Indy, Thunder, & Ace only, so I’ve got nothing to add as far as Ventures go.

Nice, I’m looking to get some of those but have yet to measure the ones I have to find the right size.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9941 on: March 23, 2021, 11:18:03 AM »
If you ride loose with cupped top washers, just about every single truck out there will have that thing digging into the hanger at some point. I learned that cupped top washers suck and restrict turning quite substantially regardless if it's touching the hanger or not. Flat Bones top washers are a game changer. Or if you're not running a Bones top bushing, you can just omit a top washer altogether and unlock a way better turn. The nut will make the center of the bushing sorta cave in after awhile but it doesn't seem to affect the performance because there's no plastic core to break.

for what its worth, the top washer can dig into my indys too. not real bad, but it still happens.

Stock Tensor ATG washer do it too, they are much to big.

I swap out for bones flat washer on every truck these days, top and bottom if riding conicals.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:29:49 AM by Xen »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9942 on: March 23, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »
bones flat washers in ventures. problem solved
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sketchyrider

« Reply #9943 on: March 23, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »
bones should just sell the flat washers by themselves. i've tried running no top washer like Diocletian said but i find the rebound is kinda bad without it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9944 on: March 23, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »
bones should just sell the flat washers by themselves. i've tried running no top washer like Diocletian said but i find the rebound is kinda bad without it.

But then you wouldn't be buying their $10 bushings...just go to a hardware store?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9945 on: March 23, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »
When I found a tool like this, mainly the thin stem in particular, I found that it didn't matter what the truck was, I could still get it around the hanger easily and it worked well with any hardware, even the low nuts that Shortys make, which were definitely a pain to do up with a normal sized skate tool.

Just an option for those people who are struggling with getting around hangers, Venture in particular.

They are usually on the cheaper side and often come from no name brands or even generic ebay sellers, but they are so very good and I use this more than anything for doing up deck bolts on all the trucks nowdays.  It is the pull apart type, as per second pic, but I have glued mine together so it stays in one piece - one at home, one in the shop and another one in the car, along with all the other skate tools I have.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
« Reply #9946 on: March 23, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
I'm looking to try out a pair of Thunder 147 titanium lights for the hell of it but I'm based in UK and everywhere seems to have been sold out for a while. Anyone know what's up with that, is it to do with covid, or are they just not making them anymore?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9947 on: March 23, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
I'm looking to try out a pair of Thunder 147 titanium lights for the hell of it but I'm based in UK and everywhere seems to have been sold out for a while. Anyone know what's up with that, is it to do with covid, or are they just not making them anymore?

I would imagine that almost everywhere is out of stock of that sort of truck.  The main ones I have seen around are still just the standard versions, not too many of anything else and I think titanium is probably the last sort they will be making until stock levels return to normal.

Even here in AU there are almost none, just whatever is left over and minimal new stock that comes into the country and US shops look like they have just the regular ones too, only in a greater supply at least.

Other people wanting things from DLX like specific Spitfire wheels in the UK and Europe seem to be unable to get them too.

Jump on DLX and use the Hit Us Up (top right) to ask though.

https://www.dlxsf.com/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #9948 on: March 23, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would imagine that almost everywhere is out of stock of that sort of truck.  The main ones I have seen around are still just the standard versions, not too many of anything else and I think titanium is probably the last sort they will be making until stock levels return to normal.

Even here in AU there are almost none, just whatever is left over and minimal new stock that comes into the country and US shops look like they have just the regular ones too, only in a greater supply at least.

Other people wanting things from DLX like specific Spitfire wheels in the UK and Europe seem to be unable to get them too.

FWIW, I haven't seen titanium thunders or ventures in a long time in the states as well. I've seen plenty of hollows for both brands around recently so I'm also wondering if they stopped making them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #9949 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I’ve never had issues putting ventures on and they’re all I’ve ridden since 1993. And the washer thing, so what.

Yes.

Bunk Moreland a g

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9950 on: March 23, 2021, 11:26:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

FWIW, I haven't seen titanium thunders or ventures in a long time in the states as well. I've seen plenty of hollows for both brands around recently so I'm also wondering if they stopped making them.

They dried up last year during the hard goods shortage, my guess is DLX knows those aren't fast moving trucks and would focus on the faster / cheaper variants. Indy is still doing TI trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sketchyrider

« Reply #9951 on: March 24, 2021, 05:13:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But then you wouldn't be buying their $10 bushings...just go to a hardware store?

psh. next you're gonna tell me to buy hardware at a hardware store.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9952 on: March 24, 2021, 06:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

psh. next you're gonna tell me to buy hardware at a hardware store.

I'd never. I would, however, tell you to buy bulk of Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:36:30 AM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9953 on: March 25, 2021, 08:11:59 AM »
Bushing question: Anyone of the opinion that bushings affect pop? Listen to Chris Cole talk about riding hard bushing so his ankles are focused on snapping the board down and on the right side of your tail, having loose bushings equates to the ankle doing periphery work (keeping the board stable).

He talks about bushing tightness around the 4:10 section:

(-1 for referring to himself as a savant)

Got me thinking of James Craig's tutorial on Fakie Ollie Front Crooks, storing the pop in the bushings and releasing it to come off the grind:
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9954 on: March 25, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
Bushing question: Anyone of the opinion that bushings affect pop? Listen to Chris Cole talk about riding hard bushing so his ankles are focused on snapping the board down and on the right side of your tail, having loose bushings equates to the ankle doing periphery work (keeping the board stable).

He talks about bushing tightness around the 4:10 section:

(-1 for referring to himself as a savant)

Got me thinking of James Craig's tutorial on Fakie Ollie Front Crooks, storing the pop in the bushings and releasing it to come off the grind:

I think bushing duro can effect pop depending on how you set up. Cole seems like he is talking about doing everything he can to make his trucks completely stable so he can get the most out of every part of his tail/nose for trucks and avoid wheel bite, without having to worry about the additional task of stabilizing the board while you are doing that. He also feels that if you don’t have hard bushings/tight trucks that you have to replace that stability with muscular tension in your ankles. All that makes sense.

Since I’m nowhere near his technical ability and enjoy the feel and carve of loose trucks, but also need some stability (because my center balance on my deck is not perfect), I use bones hards to add stability to wobbly/close to wobbly loose trucks. On Aces, for example, I like riding super loose, but I can’t trust any of my Ollie based tricks with speed because I can’t stabilize with soft bushings. They are unstable all the way from center to the wheel bite point of the turn. So the hards keep the trucks wobbly on center, but off center they add enough resistance where I can have enough stability to trust my tricks, avoid wheel bite, and still enjoy the fun part of the turn. My pop stays consistent enough.

With soft bushings I find my pop suffers unless my weight and foot placement is precisely on point and I’m not skillful enough to do that consistently if I’m skating fast through the city or at a spot.

Hope that makes sense

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #9955 on: March 25, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »
Its just like Chris Cole explains. Stiff trucks will allow you to consistently pop from the same spot on tail/nose. When you get a new board, do 10 ollies. Did you hit exactly the same spot with ur tail?

Ankle muscles/tendons? It can be some truth to this. Ive experienced strained ankle just from landing odd with very loose trucks. It can also effect flick, because your flicking foot might be tight or relaxed in the wrong moment during the flick.

Bushings? Obviously a soft bushing will compress more, which might effect wheelbase in a minuscule way - just like tighting or loosning the trucks with literally change the wheelbase, tho also in a minuscule  way. I doubt bushings have strong enough rebound to actually rebound like he mentions in the video.

Skateboarding is already difficult enough as it is. So removing variables, like popping from different place on the tail/nose, off-centered tension during treys etc, is definitely beneficial if you ask me.
Consistency is key.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9956 on: March 25, 2021, 12:42:52 PM »
I set up a board for my wife today and used my 1997 Orions. Had to replace a kingpin and also wanted to replace the pivot cups but the hole in the mini logos are too narrow. What could I try?

For bushings I went with orange Indy stock bottom barrels and the blue Indy aftermarket top bushings. This was the only combo that fit, everything else was too high, at least if using washers.  I hope it will be turny enough as my wife is very light.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #9957 on: March 25, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
I set up a board for my wife today and used my 1997 Orions. Had to replace a kingpin and also wanted to replace the pivot cups but the hole in the mini logos are too narrow. What could I try?

For bushings I went with orange Indy stock bottom barrels and the blue Indy aftermarket top bushings. This was the only combo that fit, everything else was too high, at least if using washers.  I hope it will be turny enough as my wife is very light.

I am not sure if I understood that right, but to remove a pivot cup I always use a kingpin to angle the cup out of the baseplate.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9958 on: March 25, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am not sure if I understood that right, but to remove a pivot cup I always use a kingpin to angle the cup out of the baseplate.

I can remove it. I meant the hole where the pivot goes in is too narrow or in other words the Orion pivot is too fat to fit the Mini Logo cup.  :D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9959 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can remove it. I meant the hole where the pivot goes in is too narrow or in other words the Orion pivot is too fat to fit the Mini Logo cup.  :D

If the pivot cup is not completely blown out, I would leave it in place, as old parts and especially different old parts often have issues with things fitting, compared to new parts where almost everything is about the same dimensions.

Pics would really help though

Also re bushings, if she is very light, running without washers will work too.  It is not something I would normally do, but I know lots of the light weight kids I skate with leave off the bottom bushing washer, some even leave off both metal washers and they can still skate their boards fine.

My fix for those sort of boards is usually cut a mm off the top bushing and it still works perfectly, but I think leave off a washer and it should work better for your situation.