Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230086 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10050 on: April 23, 2021, 02:05:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I got a pair of the thrasher indys hollow 159s off some guy who sold a practically new complete for 40. Probably stole it, but my gf got me some kreper kingpins for Christmas and i put em on there. I love them so far
[close]

Damn your girl got you kreper kingpins? She's a kreper.
[close]

Fixed that for you

https://woodchucklaminates.com/collections/skateboard-blanks-and-hardware/products/kreper-grind-king-kingpin-old-school-vintage-skateboard-independent-w-allen-key

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10051 on: April 23, 2021, 09:13:16 PM »
I'd been riding the same set of 149s for I don't know how long and they were really comfortable but it was time to retire them. Getting closer to the axle and wearing down faster. Well, threw on a new set of hollow 159s with the bushings from the old 149s, no bushing caps and skated some curbs tonight. Never realized how much more comfortable grinding is with wider trucks. Super fun and happy about the change
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10052 on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
my back truck was squeaking hard, so i put wax in the pivot and also between the bushings and the metal and not only is the board silent now as expected(eerily so since i cleaned my bearings and they are dead silent rn as well), i'm not sure if i actually loosened them up, but it seems my ventures are now a good deal turnier? like almost squirrely. i quite like it, was pushing around the neighborhood today and they now pretty much turn like loose indys. pretty sick. i probably just loosened them up, but the sensation of the board being crazy silent and very squirrely all of a sudden together makes the whole setup feel very different in a good way. the trucks still maintained their stability for ollies.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10053 on: April 24, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
I'd been riding the same set of 149s for I don't know how long and they were really comfortable but it was time to retire them. Getting closer to the axle and wearing down faster. Well, threw on a new set of hollow 159s with the bushings from the old 149s, no bushing caps and skated some curbs tonight. Never realized how much more comfortable grinding is with wider trucks. Super fun and happy about the change

Once you get used to 159+, it's kinda hard to go back, especially if you are curb crushing...wide but still super manageable (depending on how tech you get).

I'm dropping back down ot 149s tho, the chunky heft of the fucks with my small bag of flip tricks.

ballintoohard

« Reply #10054 on: April 25, 2021, 08:23:14 AM »
Those who ride Bones with Thunder- why? I’ve found mediums with no bottom and flat top washer are firmer than stock so I have to loosen the kingpin nut to the point where threads are showing and it grinds more. I don’t touch my stock kingpin nut normally.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10055 on: April 25, 2021, 08:29:01 AM »
Those who ride Bones with Thunder- why? I’ve found mediums with no bottom and flat top washer are firmer than stock so I have to loosen the kingpin nut to the point where threads are showing and it grinds more. I don’t touch my stock kingpin nut normally.

For me, it’s that my thunder bushings take too long to break in in the winter when it’s super cold whereas bones don’t seem to be effected by the cold and don’t need break in time.

ballintoohard

« Reply #10056 on: April 25, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
Thanks, I live in CA and it never really gets too hot or cold here and the stocks feel great after about 10 min

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #10057 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:39 PM »
my back truck was squeaking hard, so i put wax in the pivot and also between the bushings and the metal and not only is the board silent now as expected(eerily so since i cleaned my bearings and they are dead silent rn as well), i'm not sure if i actually loosened them up, but it seems my ventures are now a good deal turnier? like almost squirrely. i quite like it, was pushing around the neighborhood today and they now pretty much turn like loose indys. pretty sick. i probably just loosened them up, but the sensation of the board being crazy silent and very squirrely all of a sudden together makes the whole setup feel very different in a good way. the trucks still maintained their stability for ollies.

I’m sure it’s a mixture of both. You waxed the pivot so you turn more easily and chances are you didn’t tighten to the exact amount you were previously. Which is fine, now you have a turn that feels good to you.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #10058 on: April 26, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »
Anyone ever skate venture 5.2 lows on an 8.5? If so how’d you like it?
Got 5.8s on a 8.5 now, but wanted to try something lower but stick with venture. Widest they make the lows is in 5.2 so I was just gonna try that out.
I know when Reynolds skated 8.5s he used 139s, and Nuge and Baca skate 8.5s with 139s too, and Corey Duffel in his setup videos says he skates 5.2 highs on an 8.5, so if all those dudes can skate 8.5s with 8 inch trucks it shouldn’t be too bad right?
I dunno, never skated 8.5s on anything smaller than 149s or 5.8s, so I’m curious to see what the advantages and disadvantages are.
Also, what’s the max wheel size you can skate on lows without any sort of hassle? 50mm? 51mm?

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #10059 on: April 26, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
Anyone ever skate venture 5.2 lows on an 8.5? If so how’d you like it?
Got 5.8s on a 8.5 now, but wanted to try something lower but stick with venture. Widest they make the lows is in 5.2 so I was just gonna try that out.
I know when Reynolds skated 8.5s he used 139s, and Nuge and Baca skate 8.5s with 139s too, and Corey Duffel in his setup videos says he skates 5.2 highs on an 8.5, so if all those dudes can skate 8.5s with 8 inch trucks it shouldn’t be too bad right?
I dunno, never skated 8.5s on anything smaller than 149s or 5.8s, so I’m curious to see what the advantages and disadvantages are.
Also, what’s the max wheel size you can skate on lows without any sort of hassle? 50mm? 51mm?

To add to the list, Tommy Sandoval also runs 7.6 Krux lows on a 8.125. For wheels everyone is different, but I got away with 52mm CFs on 5.0 lo but it was not ideal. I’d go with a classic shape, 51mm at most.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10060 on: April 26, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »
How are the regular Tensors? I'm curious to try them but dont know what to expect...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10061 on: April 26, 2021, 06:39:25 PM »
How are the regular Tensors? I'm curious to try them but dont know what to expect...

Grind and slide ok but the stock bushings are crap, way too soft without turning. Decent for the price, I think they are 360g so similar in weight to a Venture standard.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #10062 on: April 26, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »
So I'm running these Independent Stage 9 (I think) truck that I got from a friend. I swapped out the old hard bushing for some Doh Doh Mediums awhile back. After a session the bushings ended up like this. It seems like the cups are to small or the bushing are to wide?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10063 on: April 26, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
So I'm running these Independent Stage 9 (I think) truck that I got from a friend. I swapped out the old hard bushing for some Doh Doh Mediums awhile back. After a session the bushings ended up like this. It seems like the cups are to small or the bushing are to wide?

Stage 9 have the two holes in the middle of the baseplate, Stage 10 and 11 do not and have a solid baseplate, but the cross on the front usually will indicate which one they are, eg single cross Stage 10, cross in circle Stage 11.  If they are forged baseplates, they will have the Stage number on the bottom in the big cross.

Looks like you need cylinder / barrel bottom washers at least, but the top ones often do that and it is not really a problem.

Do you have old stock washers from any trucks?  If so get them in there, or maybe get some bushings that have washers with them, eg the Indy ones.

The washers you have fit this shape (conical) but you need the bigger ones (cylinder) for Doh Dohs

Eg (colour is irrelevant, just the shape, but they come in both options usually):

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:08:35 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10064 on: April 26, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »
replaced my bushings today and as soon as i got on my board i noticed a really odd sound that almost sounds like a bearing ball not fully in all the way or something? didn't touch my wheels at all, but i did take the trucks off and put them on a new deck as well. trucks are venture 5.8 lights with dlx supercush purples, top n bottom washer. anyone know what this could be? was definitely not the squeaking sound of new bearings

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 60
« Reply #10065 on: April 26, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »
As people seem to write about bushings break-in time, and agreeably it seems to vary between brands, does someone know what actually causes the "break-in"? Because some factory treatment w/ silicone grease which needs to evaporate? Street dust going to surfaces and making them a bit dryer? Urethane changing form somehow? I've noticed that manually applying a coating of silicone grease converts almost any bushing to unskateable (at least for me) loose, and fixing that takes long time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10066 on: April 26, 2021, 11:38:19 PM »
replaced my bushings today and as soon as i got on my board i noticed a really odd sound that almost sounds like a bearing ball not fully in all the way or something? didn't touch my wheels at all, but i did take the trucks off and put them on a new deck as well. trucks are venture 5.8 lights with dlx supercush purples, top n bottom washer. anyone know what this could be? was definitely not the squeaking sound of new bearings

If it is a rattling sound, that is often when the nut is not quite done up tightly enough on the kingpin (metal washers vibrating as you roll) or the washers are moving and making a clicking sound when you turn left and right which can be the metal washers moving against the kingpin or baseplate, or even the nut.

I have a board that the kingpins are loose in the sockets and they rattle a fair bit too, but I think you need to check how it is making noise or what it sounds like, eg if only when rolling, or just standing still and leaning heel to toe, etc?

As people seem to write about bushings break-in time, and agreeably it seems to vary between brands, does someone know what actually causes the "break-in"? Because some factory treatment w/ silicone grease which needs to evaporate? Street dust going to surfaces and making them a bit dryer? Urethane changing form somehow? I've noticed that manually applying a coating of silicone grease converts almost any bushing to unskateable (at least for me) loose, and fixing that takes long time.

I guess a lot of people are different, as well as some bushing brands will vary as well, combined with how much people tighten them down - too much too soon and you often "break" them more so than "break them in" so to speak.

Without doing too much to them, I usually ride the Indy 92 and they are pretty much perfect from go, but I do spend the first session or two just carving around more so than doing anything else, as well as riding what might be considered fairly loose trucks.

Others I know who ride tighter trucks often break them or they end up blowing out if they set them up and just go hard right away.

Doing things like putting silicone or other things on them might work, but I think as you find they can become more slippery and in turn feel very loose, but I am not a scientist so would not know the properties of that side of things.

About the only thing I do is a drop of lubricant or tiny bit of WD40 in the pivot cup if they are squeaking and they are usually fine after that.

I am not going to say which brands I didn't like as others have their own experiences with them, but seem to recall too, from helping people with some brands of bushings, they just don't' seem to break in much at all and don't bounce back in the way that bushings should, given they are urethane and should be squashy but also return to their original form after being pushed this way and that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:48:42 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 60
« Reply #10067 on: April 26, 2021, 11:59:07 PM »
About the only thing I do is a drop of lubricant or tiny bit of WD40 in the pivot cup if they are squeaking and they are usually fine after that.

I am not going to say which brands I didn't like as others have their own experiences with them, but seem to recall too, from helping people with some brands of bushings, they just don't' seem to break in much at all and don't bounce back in the way that bushings should, given they are urethane and should be squashy but also return to their original form after being pushed this way and that.

Yeah, same here with the pivot cups and squeaking. Speaking mostly about "factory setting" of kingpin nut here. Some bushings (again, variety of durometer and brands) feel very numb for first sessions, some get stuck after turning, for most it takes some patience in form of carve sessions to get things right. Then there are bushings/trucks which mostly feel functional from the beginning. I can recall maybe one or two cases when I had to give up with aftermarkets because just couldn't get them to settle. Just wondering what are the factors in play.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10068 on: April 27, 2021, 04:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, same here with the pivot cups and squeaking. Speaking mostly about "factory setting" of kingpin nut here. Some bushings (again, variety of durometer and brands) feel very numb for first sessions, some get stuck after turning, for most it takes some patience in form of carve sessions to get things right. Then there are bushings/trucks which mostly feel functional from the beginning. I can recall maybe one or two cases when I had to give up with aftermarkets because just couldn't get them to settle. Just wondering what are the factors in play.

The two main issues I see are bushings that are too hard, or bushings that are too soft.

Too hard - cannot run the trucks loose enough so the kingpin nut is barely on, cannot turn, etc.

Too soft - cannot get them tight enough no matter how much they are screwed down, wheelbite death, crushed or blown out bushings.

Everyone rides them differently, so there is no set formula as to what works best, given I have two friends who are complete opposites for this example, one big heavy dude who rides super loose and always takes out the metal washers just to have them loose enough, vs another small light weight guy who always struggles to get the trucks done up tight enough for what he wants, they don't turn or bounce back like they are supposed to and the bushings are often replaced a lot more than the big guy does.  I also know lots of big dudes who struggle to get the trucks tight enough and lots of light weights who struggle to get the trucks loose enough, so each case is different.

I have found what works best for me, slightly harder bushings (Indy 92 duro) with low heads, so I can get the nut nicely on and still have them loose enough to turn but they are firm enough to not bottom out and wheelbite easily.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #10069 on: April 28, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Grind and slide ok but the stock bushings are crap, way too soft without turning. Decent for the price, I think they are 360g so similar in weight to a Venture standard.

Thanks a lot. Any recommendations for bushings to use in Tensors?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10070 on: April 28, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No idea, I have 1 friend who swears by them and he will skate the jankiest setups and has been riding the stock bushing since day 1.

Tensors perform fine the for the price ($30-ish) but you can do much better for a bit more. Skate Warehouse is going $32 for a pair of Royals and $40 for Indys with the latter being a much better truck (Tier-1 versus Tier-2 truck brand).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10071 on: April 28, 2021, 11:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For ATGs, Bones.

The Stock bushings I found to be much too hard (I'm 180lbs) they supposedly are 90a duro but feel hard as fuck...also the specially designed interlocking top bushing made it feel like it didn't want to turn (let alone snap back to center); top washer also binds. For loose trucks these just didn't work.

I like loose trucks and found bones softs (top and bottom), no bottom washer, bones top washer to be the best for me (for slappy days) but they bottom out/get soft REAL fast. I also roll broken in mediums and really enjoy them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:22:13 PM by Xen »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #10072 on: April 28, 2021, 01:59:25 PM »
I like the stock ATG bushings, interlocking and all. I am 200lbs. Haven't ridden em in a bit though.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #10073 on: April 28, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
ive got the thunder 151s, stock with risers on a 8.5 14.25 quasi proto. Krux made the board feel really short. It started out as my mess around monster truck board but once I got back into the turn Ive been skating a lot of stuff with em, and also just ollieing curb cuts w my bag on. they're really light for their size and it's easier to be consistent. an uninterrupted thunder turn is absolutely beautiful in the street, and I never get pitched landing tricks bad or toe dragging. my wheels are tiny F4s (53 conical fulls that have shrunk into the forties) so i do hit rocks.
finding boards for them may prove difficult, but I've been lurking WBSWB

I'm probably going to retire my indy standards for a bit. I'm drawn to the lighter and lower options from indy but weight and height don't bug me as much as wheelbite and just getting pitched cause your board's turning away from you. the things i like about the design (the turn, the depth you get popping or locking into noseslides) feel more like a novelty than a necessity. I have learned a bunch of tricks this year on my indies though
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10074 on: April 28, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »
Enjoy those 151s @dwyck

They will get better and better as they age. Last set of trucks I ground to axle and cracked bc they were so far gone with 151s. Felt good until the end. Stock bushings and regular plates. A sacred pair of trucks that Jim T sent to me when they first came out. Still got them in my spare part box.

Alas, I am now on the Ace wagon and the contrast between Thunder and Ace is too jarring for me.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #10075 on: April 29, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
Enjoy those 151s @dwyck

They will get better and better as they age. Last set of trucks I ground to axle and cracked bc they were so far gone with 151s. Felt good until the end. Stock bushings and regular plates. A sacred pair of trucks that Jim T sent to me when they first came out. Still got them in my spare part box.

Alas, I am now on the Ace wagon and the contrast between Thunder and Ace is too jarring for me.

Can you expand on your experience?

I currently "know control" but I'm intrigued by "loose trucks save lives"
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #10076 on: May 01, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
Currently riding Indy Hollow 144s & I'm looking to shorten my wheelbase .
(yes I know this can be done by deck size, but I have my shape dialed & I have a stack of them)

So what trucks will shorten / lengthen a wheelbase ?
(I assume by the kingpin geometry)

I'm sure one of you guys knows.

(I've searched this thread n haven't quite found a specific answer to this question.)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10077 on: May 01, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
(yes I know this can be done by deck size, but I have my shape dialed & I have a stack of them)

(I've searched this thread n haven't quite found a specific answer to this question.)

Ace 44 Classics will shorten them the most from from an Indy 144. The newer AF1 44 a will be marginally smaller wheelbase than a 144. Film 5.5 will shorten the WB somewhere between the Classic and AF1. Indy cast 144 might be a slightly shorter wb (1/8" max), but there's a lot of conflicting data on that one.

Also, maybe Krux? I feel like they're a tighter WB than Indy but I don't know any details about them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10078 on: May 01, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Enjoy those 151s @dwyck

[close]

Can you expand on your experience?

I currently "know control" but I'm intrigued by "loose trucks save lives"

not much more to say but Team 151s with stock bushings on 1/8" risers was a really nice all round truck for me. I rode them on everything from 8.5" popsicles to 9.25" shaped boards. Street, vert, bowl, hills.... stable when you want them to be but a nice sharp and quick turn... very nice grind and very light for their size.

Very different feel to Ace... On the Thunders my olllies and flip tricks took more effort but the results seemed better...

I'm mostly on Ace these days b/c of that deeper magic turn but I will always have soft spot for the 151 Thunders.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #10079 on: May 02, 2021, 12:23:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace 44 Classics will shorten them the most from from an Indy 144. The newer AF1 44 a will be marginally smaller wheelbase than a 144. Film 5.5 will shorten the WB somewhere between the Classic and AF1. Indy cast 144 might be a slightly shorter wb (1/8" max), but there's a lot of conflicting data on that one.

Also, maybe Krux? I feel like they're a tighter WB than Indy but I don't know any details about them.

Ace Trucks was what I read & you have confirmed.

Thank You Sir