Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1223791 times)

Slayer666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10110 on: May 08, 2021, 03:57:20 PM »
Currently in a dilemma;

I got these thunder 149 standards with 51-52 mm wheels but the issue im having is with the overall turn.

I like my trucks loose, and so far ive found that having low thunder 147 bottom bushings with no bottom washer + 1/8 risers gives me a 54-55mm tall thunder that is loose and surfy with no wheelbite. the only issue (on the steep deck im riding anyways) is ghost pop on tres on smooth ground and loss of that thunder pinch cuz theyre so tall, not to mention manuals go to ass too and 5-0 on anything is kinda scary cuz the angle is so steep.

The question I have is is there anyone who's figured out how to get thunders to stay relatively turny/loose without risers?

how do pros like Jamie Foy/ronnie Kessner even skate loose ass thunders without risers?
You gotta break those “bad boys” in. Maybe put something  like wax or even dish soap works good between the bushings and washers to help. Thunders are tight Don’t get it mixed up

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10111 on: May 09, 2021, 03:33:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Currently in a dilemma;

I got these thunder 149 standards with 51-52 mm wheels but the issue im having is with the overall turn.

I like my trucks loose, and so far ive found that having low thunder 147 bottom bushings with no bottom washer + 1/8 risers gives me a 54-55mm tall thunder that is loose and surfy with no wheelbite. the only issue (on the steep deck im riding anyways) is ghost pop on tres on smooth ground and loss of that thunder pinch cuz theyre so tall, not to mention manuals go to ass too and 5-0 on anything is kinda scary cuz the angle is so steep.

The question I have is is there anyone who's figured out how to get thunders to stay relatively turny/loose without risers?

how do pros like Jamie Foy/ronnie Kessner even skate loose ass thunders without risers?
[close]
You gotta break those “bad boys” in. Maybe put something  like wax or even dish soap works good between the bushings and washers to help. Thunders are tight Don’t get it mixed up

I think its cuz its still pretty cold up here. I skated the stock bushings in 20 degrees c and they were nice but nah I feel like no matter what bushings I put in em im still gonna wheelbite with no risers
lowkey prefer it over anything else tho the stability is crazy 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10112 on: May 09, 2021, 03:59:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody know when the Indy inverted kingpin plates are going to be available in the US? I've seen them in some Canada and UK online stores, but no formal announcements or anything.
[close]

I could be wrong but everything usually comes out in the US first, so maybe they all sold out quickly, as I thought I have seen some posted on US shop instagrams and other places.

Searching turns up a few "out of stock" from some shops, but no current stock.

I think more people have bought the kit, to put on their existing trucks there, compared to other places.

The mid trucks have only recently arrived here, or at least some shops still have them in stock, but the kits also sold out super quickly.
[close]

Could be, but it seems odd that Indy never made any formal announcement that they were out or that shops had them in stock via Instagram. Particularly given the hype behind the mids. And the fact that no one here has posted them.

Part of me think maybe some places got the kits early and had to hold them until official release, and that there is just a longer delay on the roll out due the the ongoing supply chain issues.

I skate Aces, but there is a part of me that misses my 159s and wants to give them another go when my current 55s die. The new plates would be kind of a nice incentive to give them another go.

I guess that is the reason more than a few people have bought the mid trucks and swapped out the mid hanger for a taller standard / hollow one, so just getting the baseplate kit is a cheaper / more cost effective alternative.

Yet to see them in person, but I know others I skate with prefer the forged hollow baseplate option over the standard for their regular trucks, or machine the kingpin head down some to give a lower kingpin hang factor, but having a low hanger as per the whole mid truck is not really that nice.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #10113 on: May 09, 2021, 06:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Currently in a dilemma;

[close]
[close]

I think its cuz its still pretty cold up here. I skated the stock bushings in 20 degrees c and they were nice but nah I feel like no matter what bushings I put in em im still gonna wheelbite with no risers
lowkey prefer it over anything else tho the stability is crazy
yeah stock bushings are great unless its cold then ill put some bones in

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10114 on: May 09, 2021, 10:51:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody know when the Indy inverted kingpin plates are going to be available in the US? I've seen them in some Canada and UK online stores, but no formal announcements or anything.
[close]

I could be wrong but everything usually comes out in the US first, so maybe they all sold out quickly, as I thought I have seen some posted on US shop instagrams and other places.

Searching turns up a few "out of stock" from some shops, but no current stock.

I think more people have bought the kit, to put on their existing trucks there, compared to other places.

The mid trucks have only recently arrived here, or at least some shops still have them in stock, but the kits also sold out super quickly.
[close]

Could be, but it seems odd that Indy never made any formal announcement that they were out or that shops had them in stock via Instagram. Particularly given the hype behind the mids. And the fact that no one here has posted them.

Part of me think maybe some places got the kits early and had to hold them until official release, and that there is just a longer delay on the roll out due the the ongoing supply chain issues.

I skate Aces, but there is a part of me that misses my 159s and wants to give them another go when my current 55s die. The new plates would be kind of a nice incentive to give them another go.
[close]

I guess that is the reason more than a few people have bought the mid trucks and swapped out the mid hanger for a taller standard / hollow one, so just getting the baseplate kit is a cheaper / more cost effective alternative.

Yet to see them in person, but I know others I skate with prefer the forged hollow baseplate option over the standard for their regular trucks, or machine the kingpin head down some to give a lower kingpin hang factor, but having a low hanger as per the whole mid truck is not really that nice.

I'm patiently waiting for the 159 Ti Mid. NHS have been really quiet with regards to the stand alone plate and the hollow/Ti Mids, last thing I remember was hearing the ETA was spring (maybe summer) - so any week now?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10115 on: May 17, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
for the pals that run loose trucks i find this works for me

bushings are the indy super softs. keep them compressed like that until the ones on my setup blow out, the break in period is nowhere near as bad imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10116 on: May 18, 2021, 09:30:53 AM »
When do people run risers? I run pretty small wheels, like 51-53max, but get wheelbite constantly - to the point that it makes me miss tricks a decent amount. Just wondered who amongst us throws them on every setup and what the reasoning is and how they effect your skating, specifically how much do they fuck with pop, turn, and manual stability.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10117 on: May 18, 2021, 09:33:19 AM »
When do people run risers? Just wondered who amongst us throws them on every setup and what the reasoning is and how they effect your skating,
People who get wheelbite constantly - to the point that it makes em miss tricks a decent amount
specifically how much do they fuck with pop, turn, and manual stability.
not very much

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10118 on: May 18, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »
When do people run risers? I run pretty small wheels, like 51-53max, but get wheelbite constantly - to the point that it makes me miss tricks a decent amount. Just wondered who amongst us throws them on every setup and what the reasoning is and how they effect your skating, specifically how much do they fuck with pop, turn, and manual stability.

Anytime I set my Thunders up. On Ace and Indy when I skate wheels above 54mm. I ride loose to medium and I'm about 200lbs.

You get used to it. I grew up using risers. I've said this many times but I believe risers make some trucks turn better. Sometimes, its a little unstable setting up for flip tricks but that's not my priority. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10119 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

Very rarely, I tend to drop wheels size to help negate wheelbite if at all possible. I'd be more apt to run them if I could find 1/16" hard risers on the regular.

white guy in a durag

• 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #10120 on: May 18, 2021, 09:23:28 PM »
I just a accept the wheel bite. It's the price of being a monster truck driver.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10121 on: May 19, 2021, 07:14:14 AM »

In case you didn't see it in the other thread...

Looks like the inverted king pin baseplates are now out in US shops too.

They're up for sale on https://socalskateshop.com/Independent-Trucks-IKP-Baseplate-And-Kingpin.html

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10122 on: May 19, 2021, 07:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

30 USD Seems insane for some baseplates

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10123 on: May 19, 2021, 07:47:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Normal set of baseplates cost $12, krux pins cost $8. I'm happy to pay them 10 extra dollars to do the work for me and have that kingpin not wiggle.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10124 on: May 19, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Normal set of baseplates cost $12, krux pins cost $8. I'm happy to pay them 10 extra dollars to do the work for me and have that kingpin not wiggle.
Not having them wiggle is great but you also have to spend around 50$ for the trucks if you're getting standards. I definitely get that some people really want these but at that price you might as well get a set of mids. It just seems odd the price is that high but maybe production costs are high

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10125 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Might as well just by new trucks at that rate (unless you borked you plate somehow...or have an excess amount of parts....) - I'm going to buy a pair and use my 159 hollow hangers and put them on my curb crusher for more height+Bigger wheels.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:37:37 AM by Xen »

roanrox

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10126 on: May 19, 2021, 09:52:05 PM »
Quick question here: does anyone know Thunder’s stocking bushings durometer by color? Couldn’t find any updated chart/guide online.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10127 on: May 20, 2021, 02:03:22 AM »
Quick question here: does anyone know Thunder’s stocking bushings durometer by color? Couldn’t find any updated chart/guide online.

Thunder stock bushings are all 90a - as in the bushings that come in the trucks.

The seasonal changes in colour don't matter, as they are all 90 duro, eg more recently they have been ice blue, but the more common ones were murky yellow or orange, often depended on the size so others said, but in a dozen different sets of normal 149s over the last few years, I have seen / had quite a few different colours and they were all the same.

The aftermarket ones are different, as per the rebuild kits (with all the washers, nuts, pivot cups, etc), red 90, blue 95 and black 100, as well as the bushing tubes being different again, colour specific to duros as per this pic.

roanrox

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10128 on: May 20, 2021, 11:34:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder stock bushings are all 90a - as in the bushings that come in the trucks.

The seasonal changes in colour don't matter, as they are all 90 duro, eg more recently they have been ice blue, but the more common ones were murky yellow or orange, often depended on the size so others said, but in a dozen different sets of normal 149s over the last few years, I have seen / had quite a few different colours and they were all the same.

The aftermarket ones are different, as per the rebuild kits (with all the washers, nuts, pivot cups, etc), red 90, blue 95 and black 100, as well as the bushing tubes being different again, colour specific to duros as per this pic.

You’re the man. Thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10129 on: May 20, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You want the white ones.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10130 on: May 20, 2021, 08:51:06 PM »
so i have a set of standard indy 139 with some stock thunder bushings lying around (got them for free, they have small air bubbles in them) anybody have experience with thunder bushings in indy?
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #10131 on: May 20, 2021, 10:01:04 PM »
so i have a set of standard indy 139 with some stock thunder bushings lying around (got them for free, they have small air bubbles in them) anybody have experience with thunder bushings in indy?

I ran some Thunder bushings in some Indy 144 standards. They have a deeper turn which I much prefer to the stock barrel Indy bushings but they do wheel bite a bit easier.
How much for an order of ribs?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10132 on: May 22, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
Put Krepers in my 55 classics and 159s. Used JB weld, everything seems very solid.

I've been skating my 159s over the past week and have been kind of preferring them. I want to put some riptides in there and see how they perform.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10133 on: May 22, 2021, 07:03:14 PM »
Put Krepers in my 55 classics and 159s. Used JB weld, everything seems very solid.

For people who do the Krux, Kreper, Grindking kingpin hack how does this affect the looseness of your trucks? How loose do you normally run your trucks?

Maybe a harder question to get an answer to, but is there a difference between the three options or is it just a matter of what you can get your hands on?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10134 on: May 22, 2021, 07:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For people who do the Krux, Kreper, Grindking kingpin hack how does this affect the looseness of your trucks? How loose do you normally run your trucks?

Maybe a harder question to get an answer to, but is there a difference between the three options or is it just a matter of what you can get your hands on?

Regarding looseness: I skate my ace classics stock and indys with 92 aftermarkets and the nut flush. I have both of these set up to where they feel like that to me. It took some trial and error to get them feeling normal just because I can't see the nut, but now the turn is status quo.

Kreper and Grindking pins are the same, my Krepers came in a GK package. The top acts like a top washer, though the edges are rounded and don't feel like they bind as hard as a regular washer. With Krux, there isn't a top washer so you can use whatever (@ ppl who like a flat washer) and I'm pretty sure they're hollow.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:25:03 PM by FrozenIndustries »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #10135 on: May 22, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

seconded
want to try inverted pins sometime but if i cant run my trucks rattly then i have to pass
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10136 on: May 22, 2021, 08:21:20 PM »
I have the crux DLKs in my ventures. My trucks are loose. Not crazy rattle loose, but loose none the less.

sketchyrider

« Reply #10137 on: May 23, 2021, 06:23:05 AM »
Feeling a touch of the madness, how do you guys choose truck size for a shaped board? Let it hotrod on the narrow side, or go tucked in? I've seen both. I go a little wider with my trucks on popsicles but it seems weirder for fish shaped boards / eggs. How did people run it in the heyday of shaped boards?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10138 on: May 23, 2021, 07:25:40 AM »
Feeling a touch of the madness, how do you guys choose truck size for a shaped board? Let it hotrod on the narrow side, or go tucked in? I've seen both. I go a little wider with my trucks on popsicles but it seems weirder for fish shaped boards / eggs. How did people run it in the heyday of shaped boards?

Generally, use the width of the board at the narrowest point over the back truck and pick based on that. So if it's 8.25" over the back, get what you'd ride on an 8.25". You don't want it to hotrod in the back and trip over the back wheel while pushing.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 443
« Reply #10139 on: May 23, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
re: DLK in Ace trucks; Being that the Ace baseplate and the Indy baseplate are so similar wouldn’t it be easier to buy the Indy baseplate with the DLK already in and put the Ace hangers on? Might have to put the Ace low bushings in to accommodate the shorter kingpin.