Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221660 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10080 on: May 02, 2021, 04:01:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Enjoy those 151s @dwyck

They will get better and better as they age. Last set of trucks I ground to axle and cracked bc they were so far gone with 151s. Felt good until the end. Stock bushings and regular plates. A sacred pair of trucks that Jim T sent to me when they first came out. Still got them in my spare part box.

Alas, I am now on the Ace wagon and the contrast between Thunder and Ace is too jarring for me.
[close]

Can you expand on your experience?

I currently "know control" but I'm intrigued by "loose trucks save lives"
[close]

not much more to say but Team 151s with stock bushings on 1/8" risers was a really nice all round truck for me. I rode them on everything from 8.5" popsicles to 9.25" shaped boards. Street, vert, bowl, hills.... stable when you want them to be but a nice sharp and quick turn... very nice grind and very light for their size.

Very different feel to Ace... On the Thunders my olllies and flip tricks took more effort but the results seemed better...

I'm mostly on Ace these days b/c of that deeper magic turn but I will always have soft spot for the 151 Thunders.

I can confirm this but with team 149s with 1/8 risers and no bottom washer + 147 shorter bottom bushing (makes the truck a bit less tall so that with the riser its like 54-55mm).
Complete heaven on 8.25 decks since its so light for an 8.5 truck but also nice and wide so I get great pinch and stability. Crazy how I find myself skating faster on these compared to the 44s I had earlier, too squirrelly! The turn does max out on thunders but the risers get rid of that (I feel like once you get above or at 54mm height)

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10081 on: May 02, 2021, 04:55:02 AM »
Expand Quote
A friend gave me an 8.5" with Thunder 149s ver. II and I'm enjoying it so far.

Had a disastrous experience with the old geometry 149ers where the wheelbite was so bad it would pitch me. Riding smallish (for me) older wheels on this and it hasn't been an issue on street. We'll see about transition and if I can say the same with fresh 54mm wheels. 

Turning is almost as good as my regular Venture 5.2 Highs and being so low I haven't had a single ghost pop. I still think I prefer a slightly narrower board but I'm going to fool around on this for a while.

TL;DR: I liked a 5 year old truck redesign.
[close]

I have quite a few older sets of trucks including some of those Thunders.

Coming from other taller trucks I ride medium to loose and bigger wheels, I found that risers were a must, even just the thin rubber ones made such a difference and I could skate them "normally" without getting wheelbite and actually being able to turn with them, running stock bushings and untouched kingpin nut.

Expand Quote
How does risers affect the turn of a truck?

Will it turn more with risers or just lean more?
[close]

Having risers, even just 1mm thin rubber ones, or at most the 1/8 height with regular sized wheels makes a huge difference to everything, so yes you can turn a lot more without wheelbite stopping the turn, but that is combined with bushings that will allow the turn as well.

No use having any risers at all with crazy tight trucks that are a struggle to turn.

One thing I often don't say unless I am helping someone face to face, but what makes a big difference too is by putting more weight on the back truck as you turn, rather than the front truck.  If you have more weight on the front truck, you are going to wheelbite and stop, but more weight on the back truck and you are more likely to be able to turn well without wheelbite, or if you do have a bit, it will not stop you dead and more likely just slow you down a bit.

Brimson my man, thanks for the weight distribution tip! Makes so much sense, i've had two bad cases of wheelbite a month ago where i just got totally rekt. The first one i landed front heavy for sure. Maybe you've saved my life haha.

Alot of ground down noping at our local which i was just rolling over with bigger wheels, switched back to the happy medium 53s & shockpads to combat wheelbite paranoia. Saving the big wheels for a future cruiser setup instead.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10082 on: May 03, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
How are the Indy 78A extra soft white replacement bushings? Do they wheelbite to death?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10083 on: May 03, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
How are the Indy 78A extra soft white replacement bushings? Do they wheelbite to death?

Well yeah, in my experience they are a bit too soft (180 lbs here). But if you use the 78A as a bottom bushing and for the top bushing like a 90A it is a nice turn and they get back to center quick, while also being kinda stable.

But yeah 78A can also give you scary wheelbites.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10084 on: May 03, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well yeah, in my experience they are a bit too soft (180 lbs here). But if you use the 78A as a bottom bushing and for the top bushing like a 90A it is a nice turn and they get back to center quick, while also being kinda stable.

But yeah 78A can also give you scary wheelbites.

I've tried them twice, once around 160lbs in Stage I ACEs, they got DESTROYED (so did the white Khiros). and once around 180lbs, wheelbite city.

I use the 88a aftermarkets (in conical a bit more twitchy than barrels) or the 88a DLX Bait and Tackles (clear).

Anything below 88 is a death sentence for me and why I can never get thunders loose enough...at 90a stock I wheebite...like the dual duro ace combo in indy I find I like:

Bones Med Bottom/Hard Top (prefer bones soft bottom, medium top but two sessions in and the bones softs are playdough)

Indy after market 88/90a bottom 94/96a top

But, it also depends on what I'm skating terrain wise.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:15:00 PM by Xen »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10085 on: May 03, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »
I didn't like them, felt too mushy and unresponsive. They didn't get my trucks as loose as I had hoped either, though I'm at 135lbs. The first set I tried out split in one curb session. Seriously. I thought maybe they were bad, got another set but the same thing happened. After a few days they fell apart.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10086 on: May 03, 2021, 04:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I didn't like them, felt too mushy and unresponsive. They didn't get my trucks as loose as I had hoped either, though I'm at 135lbs. The first set I tried out split in one curb session. Seriously. I thought maybe they were bad, got another set but the same thing happened. After a few days they fell apart.

Same. Chunked out in a matter of days. It felt like they just make a set of Indy's flop around side-to-side without improving the turn. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10087 on: May 03, 2021, 05:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Same. Chunked out in a matter of days. It felt like they just make a set of Indy's flop around side-to-side without improving the turn.

Definitely way too soft for most, but kids ride them and one tiny dude loves them, even if they are a bit tight for him, so I guess that is more the market.

They have never split or had issues for the guys I know skating them, but being kids or super light weight, they work best, and these guys go hard too, not just beginners or cruiser type skating, but I have also cut down a few sets to make them fit more and get them even looser than they ride when standard height too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10088 on: May 03, 2021, 05:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Definitely way too soft for most, but kids ride them and one tiny dude loves them, even if they are a bit tight for him, so I guess that is more the market.

They have never split or had issues for the guys I know skating them, but being kids or super light weight, they work best, and these guys go hard too, not just beginners or cruiser type skating, but I have also cut down a few sets to make them fit more and get them even looser than they ride when standard height too.

Yeah, it's totally by weight one should pick their bushing duro based on desired level of loose/tight; most don't and just crank it down or ride wobbly loose. I'd rather have hard bushings to get a tight truck feel, but it is harder to get a loose truck feel with soft bushings which is why wobbly loose is better that mush loose.

Mostly longboard bushings, but the cover bones/indy/thunder/doh doh:

https://stokedrideshop.com/blogs/knowledge/the-ultimate-bushing-calculator

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10089 on: May 03, 2021, 07:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I ride the Indy super softs with 2 top bushings and the top shaved down 3/16” - 1/4”. Think Sacto loose aka Matt, Snaggle, Curtis, Winsor style. I’ve had the same ones in for the year and a half with no issues at all. I’m a medium sized guy(6’ 160ish) and they get bashed into curbs every weekend for a minimum of 5 hours. Tried Bones softs and those would blow out consistently. The worst was 5 minutes into a session. BTW truck/wheel height isn’t a huge issue. I’ve run 56mm on Indy hollows, no risers, on my skate to spots boards as well as Indy hollows with 53s. If you’re used to loose trucks, wheel bite isn’t really an issue unless you’re going snail pace.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6mAYuGeTEg

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10090 on: May 03, 2021, 07:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I ride the Indy super softs with 2 top bushings and the top shaved down 3/16” - 1/4”. Think Sacto loose aka Matt, Snaggle, Curtis, Winsor style. I’ve had the same ones in for the year and a half with no issues at all. I’m a medium sized guy(6’ 160ish) and they get bashed into curbs every weekend for a minimum of 5 hours. Tried Bones softs and those would blow out consistently. The worst was 5 minutes into a session. BTW truck/wheel height isn’t a huge issue. I’ve run 56mm on Indy hollows, no risers, on my skate to spots boards as well as Indy hollows with 53s. If you’re used to loose trucks, wheel bite isn’t really an issue unless you’re going snail pace.

Probably I got some duds then. Indy 88 and 90 aftermarkets always lasted me through multiple sets of trucks.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10091 on: May 03, 2021, 07:28:31 PM »
Yeah, sounds that way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10092 on: May 03, 2021, 07:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Probably I got some duds then. Indy 88 and 90 aftermarkets always lasted me through multiple sets of trucks.

Maybe try the warranty option.  I know it might sound not worth it for bushings only being cheap, but anything that breaks or falls apart in a short time makes people think twice before they get it again, or stay away from that brand in general in the future if they have had a bad experience.

It is always a funny thing how Indy, Bones and a couple of others have minimal difference between the regular bushings, eg 88, 90, 92, 94 and 96 but the soft option is so much softer 78 on the duro scale.

I am always amazed and in awe of anyone who can ride the "almost no bushings" trucks, even if people I know get on my board and say it is too loose for them, but mine are still very stable compared to things like that video.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #10093 on: May 07, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »
How are the regular Tensors? I'm curious to try them but dont know what to expect...

Late to the party but don't waste your time with the aluminum ones. They're heavy as shit - the 5.75 are like 385-390g iirc, and the aluminum is weirdly sticky. ATG is a huge improvement over the tens in the turning department but it's not good enough to justify picking them over team thunder/indy standard or even destructo if you want a 55mm height truck.

Tensor excels in two departments, weight and price. So either spend the extra $15 and get the mag lights which offer unmatched lightness and a uniquely smooth grind, or save yourself $20 and get the alloys which are actually lighter than the straight aluminum ones (my 5.5 alloys are around 355g iirc) and honestly turn just as good and grind better in my opinion.

Of all the useless trucks I own, I consider my aluminum ATGs to be the most useless (other than maybe my hot rod flame painted navigators, but at least those are good for a laugh). There is basically no scenario in which I would choose to ride them and so they've been sitting on an 8.38 hockey deck I never skate basically since the first day I tried them. They're not inherently bad trucks, but you can do better in virtually every single metric.

And as has been mentioned, tensor stock bushings are terrible... If you do decide to get some mag lights then bones are a good replacement, but thunder and indy conical (or really any standard sized cone bottoms) work fine too. I personally use film bushings in mine since they have the same interlocking design.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10094 on: May 07, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »
I recently went from Tensor (stock) to Indy (ACE dual duro bushings) to Tensor ATG Mags (bones med bushings) over 4 weeks and apparently I got really used to Indy...they were forged so lower, and just have that Indy/ACE/ML carvy vibe compared to the Tensor/Thunder feel (to me anyway); the ATGs feel like a truck from Venture or Thunder that is supposed to compete with Indy - they sit right in the middle of Thunder and Indy for me and if they were lower, It's all I'd ride.

You can't beat the ATG Maglights weight and grind tho.

Oddly, due to the weight of the AF1s, for my 8.5" I'm going back to ML with risers or ATG Mags. Fuck those AF1s are chunky.

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #10095 on: May 07, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »
Apologies if similar info has already been posted, did a search and didn't really find anything, but what indys (or other brands) would you guys recommend for someone who exclusively skates curbs on 9" boards? I've had ace 55s with stock bushings and riptide pivots for the last six months and both axles are slipping like crazy now. Aside from the slippage I've really enjoyed these trucks but am open to trying something different.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10096 on: May 07, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »

they’re good in ventures. that what I have in mine. but that’s because of ventures turning radius, it might also be because I weigh 120lbs.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10097 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:49 PM »
Apologies if similar info has already been posted, did a search and didn't really find anything, but what indys (or other brands) would you guys recommend for someone who exclusively skates curbs on 9" boards? I've had ace 55s with stock bushings and riptide pivots for the last six months and both axles are slipping like crazy now. Aside from the slippage I've really enjoyed these trucks but am open to trying something different.

Indy hollow forged (or ti) 169s, maybe Thunder 161 if you want to change it up?

I'm running 159s on an 8.876 (8.625" prior), stock cups and ACE (dual duro) bushings and have a blast on it; if I were to go up to a nine, I would grab 169s more than likely.

I feel myself slowly converting back to Indy - wanting those TiMids to drop!

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #10098 on: May 07, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy hollow forged (or ti) 169s, maybe Thunder 161 if you want to change it up?

I'm running 159s on an 8.876 (8.625" prior), stock cups and ACE (dual duro) bushings and have a blast on it; if I were to go up to a nine, I would grab 169s more than likely.

Thanks for the recs. Appreciate it. Would it make any sense to use my ace riptides in the indys or just go stock? Or buy Indy specific riptides?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10099 on: May 07, 2021, 05:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy hollow forged (or ti) 169s, maybe Thunder 161 if you want to change it up? Do you like your wheels flush to the deck rail (bolts sticking out) or do you prefer to have the bolts under the board?

[close]

Thanks for the recs. Appreciate it. Would it make any sense to use my ace riptides in the indys or just go stock? Or buy Indy specific riptides?

I literally just threw a set or ACE riptides in my Indys (see pic), they fit fine (they're also soft and will deform anyway). I've used Indy riptides in every major truck brand with no issues.

Put them in and see if they are beat up enough to not spill over the top of the pivot area (some ace cups from riptide were unusually tall).

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:34:46 PM by Xen »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10100 on: May 07, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »

I skated a 9" Polar popsicle for most of last year, and it went together *perfectly* with Indy 159s
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10101 on: May 07, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
Max Schaaf of Indy

geojson format

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #10102 on: May 07, 2021, 05:53:28 PM »
Max Schaaf of Indy

geojson format

Good, Thunders are superior trucks anyway

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10103 on: May 07, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
Anybody know when the Indy inverted kingpin plates are going to be available in the US? I've seen them in some Canada and UK online stores, but no formal announcements or anything.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10104 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:20 PM »
let's say one were to drill a hole through their kingpin to save a few grams
is this person stupid?
my friend wants to know

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10105 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »
let's say one were to drill a hole through their kingpin to save a few grams
is this person stupid?
my friend wants to know

Yes.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Thunder_Hollow_Kingpin/descpage-THHKP.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI48KNxJa58AIVuRmtBh1U-QwgEAQYASABEgIzOvD_BwE

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10106 on: May 07, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »
Anybody know when the Indy inverted kingpin plates are going to be available in the US? I've seen them in some Canada and UK online stores, but no formal announcements or anything.

I could be wrong but everything usually comes out in the US first, so maybe they all sold out quickly, as I thought I have seen some posted on US shop instagrams and other places.

Searching turns up a few "out of stock" from some shops, but no current stock.

I think more people have bought the kit, to put on their existing trucks there, compared to other places.

The mid trucks have only recently arrived here, or at least some shops still have them in stock, but the kits also sold out super quickly.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:59:28 PM by Mbrimson88 »

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #10107 on: May 08, 2021, 03:53:24 AM »
Currently in a dilemma;

I got these thunder 149 standards with 51-52 mm wheels but the issue im having is with the overall turn.

I like my trucks loose, and so far ive found that having low thunder 147 bottom bushings with no bottom washer + 1/8 risers gives me a 54-55mm tall thunder that is loose and surfy with no wheelbite. the only issue (on the steep deck im riding anyways) is ghost pop on tres on smooth ground and loss of that thunder pinch cuz theyre so tall, not to mention manuals go to ass too and 5-0 on anything is kinda scary cuz the angle is so steep.

The question I have is is there anyone who's figured out how to get thunders to stay relatively turny/loose without risers?

how do pros like Jamie Foy/ronnie Kessner even skate loose ass thunders without risers?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10108 on: May 08, 2021, 07:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I could be wrong but everything usually comes out in the US first, so maybe they all sold out quickly, as I thought I have seen some posted on US shop instagrams and other places.

Searching turns up a few "out of stock" from some shops, but no current stock.

I think more people have bought the kit, to put on their existing trucks there, compared to other places.

The mid trucks have only recently arrived here, or at least some shops still have them in stock, but the kits also sold out super quickly.

Could be, but it seems odd that Indy never made any formal announcement that they were out or that shops had them in stock via Instagram. Particularly given the hype behind the mids. And the fact that no one here has posted them.

Part of me think maybe some places got the kits early and had to hold them until official release, and that there is just a longer delay on the roll out due the the ongoing supply chain issues.

I skate Aces, but there is a part of me that misses my 159s and wants to give them another go when my current 55s die. The new plates would be kind of a nice incentive to give them another go.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #10109 on: May 08, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
Been on Ventures for about 3 years now (5.2 and 5.6 hi) and decided to try Thunders last year. Couldn’t get into them stock due to the twitchiness so I put a Krux bottom barrel bushing. Rode them like this for a bit and they felt fine, felt like a sharper Venture but I ended up putting my 5.6’s back on.

I took a few months off skating due to a back injury and since I’ve been back, I’ve just had a terrible time with my Ventures. Can’t land shit, they felt sluggish, my manuals couldn’t work at all, felt heavy and dead etc.. No matter how much I loosened them, I couldn’t get them to do what I wanted. I rode loose Indy’s for 17 years and missed the fast responsiveness. I still have 139 USA-made Indy’s on my 8’ set up.

This morning I said ‘fuck it’, I’d give the Thunders another try, only this time with a stock Thunder bushing on bottom.

Tell ya what, these bad boys are staying on for the rest of the summer. These just clicked with me and had the best session I’ve had in a long-ass time. I get them now, and I see why people are so into them.