Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221039 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10470 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:04 PM »
Can’t seem to find it but someone posted a link to Venom street bushings a few pages back.
Has anyone tried these and what are your thoughts?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10471 on: September 02, 2021, 08:44:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody ever have the JB Weld and nut fall clean out before?

I was swapping stuff out and this happened. My punishment and comeuppance for declaring that I like one brand of truck that I skate more than the other? It fits snug in the hole so it is still usable, but I was surprised by it.
[close]

I had the same thing happen. I didn’t properly prep the surface before epoxying. Acetone is good to clean the oils and grease off, also roughing the area up a bit helps. Evidently even residue left by your fingers is enough to significantly weaken the bond.

Yeah, seeing how smooth the cone is it occurred to me that I should have hit it with a file.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10472 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »
Can’t seem to find it but someone posted a link to Venom street bushings a few pages back.

http://venomskate.com/street-bushings/

Was it in the bushings thread?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.0

I don't recall riding any, but others have said they are good. 

One thing for sure is a company that makes bushings as a main item, rather than a company that just has generic bushings as part of their overall company profile, would not be able to remain in business if they didn't make a good product.

They might be expensive, but from looking at that site, you definitely have options.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10473 on: September 04, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One thing for sure is a company that makes bushings as a main item, rather than a company that just has generic bushings as part of their overall company profile, would not be able to remain in business if they didn't make a good product.

They might be expensive, but from looking at that site, you definitely have options.

Went on a limb and ordered the SHR and HPF bushings.
SHR I’m the 91a and HPF in the 90a.

I’ll see how they handle.

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #10474 on: September 11, 2021, 06:12:31 AM »
Going to try some Bones bushings, my Stock indys at 90a is really loose for me at 82kg/180. Should i go for the hard ones? Also do you prefer flat or cupped washers for a nice surfy turn?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10475 on: September 11, 2021, 06:32:13 AM »
Going to try some Bones bushings, my Stock indys at 90a is really loose for me at 82kg/180. Should i go for the hard ones? Also do you prefer flat or cupped washers for a nice surfy turn?

I might be the last person to say anything good about Bones bushings (far too many split and come apart far too quickly for what should be one of the best quality and higher priced sets of bushings on the market), but the hard ones definitely soften up a lot and are the least likely to split, when compared to the medium or soft options.

Start with what you have already for washers, or if the trucks feel too tight, just run the metal flat one that comes with the Bones bushings to start with and add the others as needed, but I have both top and bottom normal Indy washers on a broken in set of Bones hard on a board I set up just so people can try it out.

You can play mix and match with the flat two and the stock four washers in whatever combo works for you too, which makes things more versatile.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:55:55 PM by Mbrimson88 »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10476 on: September 11, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Feel weird quoting myself but:
Got the bushings. Got the HPF as a complete set but I got an incomplete set of the SHR. Messaged them a few days ago and haven’t heard back.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10477 on: September 12, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Feel weird quoting myself but:
Got the bushings. Got the HPF as a complete set but I got an incomplete set of the SHR. Messaged them a few days ago and haven’t heard back.

Im thinking about trying venoms too as they were super nice on my cruiser as a kid. I gotta say best & most carvy bushings i’ve ridden (havent tried bones yet tho)

My only concern/ question is how they performe in the cold.. Anyone know if they freeze up in cold conditions like indys? Cant handle that shit.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10478 on: September 15, 2021, 11:33:46 AM »
question to the truck-nerds who can also measure and/or do mathematics/geometry----

I always loved Indy 149s on 8.25, so would Indy 159s on 8.5 give a similar truck to board ratio/feel?
hardly art, hardly starving

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10479 on: September 15, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
question to the truck-nerds who can also measure and/or do mathematics/geometry----

I always loved Indy 149s on 8.25, so would Indy 159s on 8.5 give a similar truck to board ratio/feel?

Yeah it would be similar, but the axles of the 159s will stick out a little bit more I think, even with only one washer on the insides or each wheel. But it would be a stable ride for sure.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10480 on: September 15, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah it would be similar, but the axles of the 159s will stick out a little bit more I think, even with only one washer on the insides or each wheel. But it would be a stable ride for sure.

Reminds me of the standard Peter Hewitt setup, which is always 159s on 8.38 boards with classic shaped 56 or 58mm wheels, and they don't look like they stick out too far, but I can see where that type of setup would be more of interest to big transition, more so than an all rounder.

Even with three washers on the inside of 149s on my 8.38 boards, any normal width wheel still sits under, with the classic full in bigger sizes just sitting on the edge of the deck, so it would work well enough.

For some the extra width of truck is a bit to get used to on most things, but fairly easy coming from 149s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTkxEUJhhtz/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #10481 on: September 15, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Reminds me of the standard Peter Hewitt setup, which is always 159s on 8.38 boards with classic shaped 56 or 58mm wheels, and they don't look like they stick out too far, but I can see where that type of setup would be more of interest to big transition, more so than an all rounder.

Even with three washers on the inside of 149s on my 8.38 boards, any normal width wheel still sits under, with the classic full in bigger sizes just sitting on the edge of the deck, so it would work well enough.

For some the extra width of truck is a bit to get used to on most things, but fairly easy coming from 149s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTkxEUJhhtz/

Pretty sure the DLX 8.38s are bigger than 8.38. I have an olive eagle setup for curbs now and have tried them with Ace 44s, Indy ti 159s, and Thunder hollow light 151s. Oddly enough, the Thunders feel the best so I’ve been running those and don’t notice any significant hot rodding.

I normally love a 17.375 WB axel to axel so it’s odd to me that I’m digging this absolute boat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10482 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »

Pretty sure the DLX 8.38s are bigger than 8.38. I have an olive eagle setup for curbs now and have tried them with Ace 44s, Indy ti 159s, and Thunder hollow light 151s. Oddly enough, the Thunders feel the best so I’ve been running those and don’t notice any significant hot rodding.

I normally love a 17.375 WB axel to axel so it’s odd to me that I’m digging this absolute boat.

DLX 8.38 decks do feel bigger and wider than others, most are so very close to 8.5 (and some even are right on or a touch wider) which is why I like them so much for my main board and have a few too many stockpiled now.

Interesting how much difference three washers on the inside makes too, which I wouldn't do if I had wider trucks on this, as they would definitely stick out more, but that setup of yours sounds like a good dose of fun too!

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #10483 on: September 16, 2021, 05:38:09 AM »
Im thinking about trying venoms too as they were super nice on my cruiser as a kid. I gotta say best & most carvy bushings i’ve ridden (havent tried bones yet tho)

My only concern/ question is how they performe in the cold.. Anyone know if they freeze up in cold conditions like indys? Cant handle that shit.

Venoms hold up to the cold rather well.  I don't have experience with Indy bushings, but compared to Thunder/Venture bushings Venoms are way better in cold weather.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #10484 on: September 16, 2021, 07:38:26 AM »
thanks for the input pals
hardly art, hardly starving

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #10485 on: September 16, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
Apologies in advance because I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere in the vastness of this thread but can anyone explain the overall effects of running a truck without a bottom washer? Lower height, shorter wb, more turn/less stability, or nothing actually that noticeable?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #10486 on: September 16, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
more turn, less stability is the easiest to notice imo. everything else is splitting hairs
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #10487 on: September 16, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Sorry, I'm sure this has already been covered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it...  My stage 11 Indys (149 and 144) have all had an issue with the hanger sliding sideways relative to the top bushing (i.e., the top bushing gets mashed to the left or right side of the hanger's top bushing seat, with extra metal showing on the opposite side of the bushing seat), and the board then tends to roll to one side.  I have to grab the hanger and twist it to recenter it multiple times during a session.  (I am approx 200 lbs., which is probably a contributing factor.) 

Anyone else have this issue?  Have you found a solution?  (I have tried harder Indy bushings, no dice.)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10488 on: September 16, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
Sorry, I'm sure this has already been covered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it...  My stage 11 Indys (149 and 144) have all had an issue with the hanger sliding sideways relative to the top bushing (i.e., the top bushing gets mashed to the left or right side of the hanger's top bushing seat, with extra metal showing on the opposite side of the bushing seat), and the board then tends to roll to one side.  I have to grab the hanger and twist it to recenter it multiple times during a session.  (I am approx 200 lbs., which is probably a contributing factor.) 

Anyone else have this issue?  Have you found a solution?  (I have tried harder Indy bushings, no dice.)

I am not 100% sure, but have you checked your pivot cups? When they are destroyed, your hanger can be a bit crooked and turn to one side more. Because 200 lbs isn't that much, hell I am 20 lbs less and never had problems with bushings.

It can also be, that your harder bushings are still a bit too firm and they need to soften up.

Have you tried to run a softer bottom bushing with a harder top bushing?

Hope all that made sense, since English isn't my first language.
IG: @flowterspace

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #10489 on: September 16, 2021, 01:07:53 PM »
To clarify, I think the issue is that Indy top bushing seats are sort of oval-shaped instead of round, which might provide some benefit, but also has the side-effect of sometimes letting the hanger end up stuck off-center.  Also, I don't mean that the trucks are leaned (as when turning), I mean that the hanger slides sideways (still perpendicular) so that the top bushing is jammed up against one side of the wider oval bushing seat (not centered). 

My pivot cups are ok.  This issue happens even with brand-new Indys.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10490 on: September 16, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »
To clarify, I think the issue is that Indy top bushing seats are sort of oval-shaped instead of round, which might provide some benefit, but also has the side-effect of sometimes letting the hanger end up stuck off-center.  Also, I don't mean that the trucks are leaned (as when turning), I mean that the hanger slides sideways (still perpendicular) so that the top bushing is jammed up against one side of the wider oval bushing seat (not centered). 

My pivot cups are ok.  This issue happens even with brand-new Indys.

Do you always hit curbs or do certain tricks to one side?

I think something like this might be due to constant motion in one direction, eg always doing backside slappies tends to push the trucks hard on an angle and could push the bushings in a certain direction too.

If you mark the bushings, then rotate them a quarter turn, or half turn, does the board still do the same thing?

When you look at the bushings, if they have oval holes rather than round holes where they sit on the kingpin, I think it would definitely be something to do with how you are skating, but I would never rule anything out.

Pics would be really good to see too, as sometimes it is harder to get it right with a mental picture and a lot easier with a physical one.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10491 on: September 19, 2021, 11:35:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

(159) 8.75" - 8.5 = .25 difference
(149) 8.5" - 8.25 = .25 difference

Uh same difference....Maths

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #10492 on: September 28, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
Looks like Ace answered the rounded side/sharp side debate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10493 on: September 28, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »

*everyone runs and checks their bushings*

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10494 on: September 28, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, yeah I can see a lot of people checking and some even getting out clippers or trimming the edge off bushings just so they fit better and don't have the bulge issues I have seen on some setups.

Those new Indy bushing bottom washers in the aftermarket packs are a lot smaller than the older ones, hence people having bushing blowouts, as per the guy the other day.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118655.0

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10495 on: September 29, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
Just survived another bout of truck madness. I need a note on my mirror, so I see it every morning:
"Face it, you're an Indy guy"

Its nice to try other shit out, but I need to just accept it for what it is

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10496 on: September 29, 2021, 07:23:26 AM »
Just survived another bout of truck madness. I need a note on my mirror, so I see it every morning:

But maybe...

IpathCats

« Reply #10497 on: September 29, 2021, 07:30:39 AM »

Can relate. Would make a solid tatt

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10498 on: September 29, 2021, 07:41:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apparently mine came the wrong way around stock

Edit: Actually only one of them

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10499 on: September 30, 2021, 10:28:14 AM »

I feel you. I believe deep down inside I'm an indy guy...they're just so fucking heavy, Ti included compared to everything else but ACE ,and these legs need all the help they can get.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 12:10:49 PM by Xen »