Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229203 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10770 on: February 03, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #10771 on: February 03, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »

Somebody has to stop him from infecting more people with the madness. I rode the same trucks for years before I found this guy and slap

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #10773 on: February 03, 2022, 05:38:00 PM »
https://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_skateboards_turn
Killer resource. I remember reading the old site years ago, glad to see this nerd shit again.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10774 on: February 04, 2022, 03:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Somebody has to stop him from infecting more people with the madness. I rode the same trucks for years before I found this guy and slap

I would be more curious how many "Digital angle gauge" units sell on the back of this video alone.

Damn sure I want one now after watching this!!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10775 on: February 04, 2022, 04:31:31 AM »

Going through those comments, I see a few familiar names, but I thought this one was definitely worth posting here for anyone that didn't watch the video and read all the comments.

Mog
8 hours ago
Ok, so I’m an engineer who’s been skating since 87 so what I’m saying comes from a place of understanding what’s going on here. To understand it better don’t look at the truck with the hanger pointing up, turn it the way round it actually is when you’re skating it, with the hanger to the ground.

When a truck is turning two things are constant: the hanger is parallel to the surface you’re riding on, and the baseplate is oriented in the direction you’re riding. When you lean to one side the base plate tilts on a fulcrum made up of an invisible line between the inside of the pivot cup and where the bottom bushing meets the hanger. Measure the angle between those two and you’ve got a true indication of what’s turning on your truck. Because the position of the base plate is fixed relative to your board, tilting the base plate by leaning forces the angle of the wheels to change.

The angle of the pivot cup/bottom bushing changes how much a certain angle of tilt on the base plate translates into changing the angle of your hanger and wheels on the plane of the riding surface. If you had pivot cup/bottom bushing angle that was parallel with the bottom of your baseplate then the truck could move back and forth without changing the angle of the wheels, so you could get wheel bite without turning, that’s not what you want. The other extreme would be if the angle was really steep, which would mean that a small lean of the baseplate would translate to a huge amount of turn, that would result in really twitchy trucks that would also be really hard to turn, because you would be using a really small lever to try to move it. Finding the sweet spot where the right amount of lean translates to the right amount of turn is the science behind truck turning, and it’s also complicated by the fact that as you turn your bushings compress, which changes the angle slightly. Your kingpin angle relative to the fulcrum angle changes how progressively the bushings compress also, so if this angle is greater the resistance will increase the more you turn. Conical vs cylindrical bottom bushings also effect this.

You can play around a bit with changing the fulcrum angle by changing the height of your bottom bushings or adding or removing washers from underneath them, but this can mess up other things in the geometry like the angle the hanger sits in the pivot cup. This is why indy pivot cups click until they’re broken in when you swap the bushings out for bones ones.

There’s also where your wheels are positioned relative to the fulcrum which changes the way trucks turn, which is one (but not the only) reason why different width trucks with the same baseplate geometry feel like they turn different. On top of all that if the axles are closer in together the same hanger angle describes an arc with a smaller radius, ie a sharper turn.

Anyway I hope anyone who’s gotten this far in has learnt some things about truck geometry and sorry about the essay. In case you’re wondering, no I don’t post on slap and no I don’t have truck madness any more, ace classic 55s suit how I skate pretty perfectly.

Anggita
8 hours ago
You need to make a video about this, Professor 🙇🏻

Mog
7 hours ago
 @Anggita  making videos isn’t really my thing, but I’m happy for anyone else to use this info to make one

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10776 on: February 04, 2022, 08:22:17 AM »
I haven't been experimenting very much but I luckily created what I wanted to without going too crazy.
I am running aftermarket independent 88 red top bushing, stock bottom bushing with no bottom washer. Originally this setup was good but the top washer would rattle and make a crazy noise. i switched the pivot cup to a japanese aftermarket brand and just loosened the kingpin nut a bit and now it is perfect and has no washer rattle because i assume the pivot cup changed the geometry slightly.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10777 on: February 04, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have an app on my iPhone that does it.  I have used it to measure nose/tail angles of boards as well as to measure what angle the board is when the tail hits the ground on various setups. 

I would be more curious how many "Digital angle gauge" units sell on the back of this video alone.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10778 on: February 04, 2022, 09:55:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have an app on my iPhone that does it.  I have used it to measure nose/tail angles of boards as well as to measure what angle the board is when the tail hits the ground on various setups. 

[close]

Sorry to be a bummer but, the iPhone's angle measurement tool takes consistent measures, but they're unfortunately they're not accurate. There's no zeroing feature or way to calibrate your phone. I know this from working at a bike shop and using accurate digital levels to set saddle tilt/hood tilt. Many customers used their phones and came in with wacky angles.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10779 on: February 04, 2022, 06:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry to be a bummer but, the iPhone's angle measurement tool takes consistent measures, but they're unfortunately they're not accurate. There's no zeroing feature or way to calibrate your phone. I know this from working at a bike shop and using accurate digital levels to set saddle tilt/hood tilt. Many customers used their phones and came in with wacky angles.

I kinda like the fact that I don't have to use my phone for a million things, but I get that just having a phone does mean you don't have to carry so many things, even if it is a bit inaccurate as noted.

I guess I like having things like that around, either in the workshop or at home in the skate shed.

Even just the name "Digital angle gauge" just sounds kinda cool.

Ok, I will stop now.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #10780 on: February 04, 2022, 07:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I kinda like the fact that I don't have to use my phone for a million things, but I get that just having a phone does mean you don't have to carry so many things, even if it is a bit inaccurate as noted.

I guess I like having things like that around, either in the workshop or at home in the skate shed.

Even just the name "Digital angle gauge" just sounds kinda cool.

Ok, I will stop now.

Wait.

So they’re cool now? They work great for fab work also. And smaller than an analog angle locator.

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #10781 on: February 07, 2022, 10:38:36 AM »
Sorry to beat a dead horse but anybody know how not to blow fresh Indy bushings up in the first session?

A lot of people say that the new stock bushings hold together better and are higher quality but these things still fall apart super quickly for me.

I usually break in new trucks on a curb but is this not the way to go?

Let me know, thanks guys.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10782 on: February 07, 2022, 10:55:37 AM »
How tight are your trucks and how heavy are you?

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #10783 on: February 07, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
How tight are your trucks and how heavy are you?

Like to leave my trucks stock, I weigh 175

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10784 on: February 07, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »
Not much heavier than me and I do the same and have never blown a stage 11 bushing aftermarket or stock.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10785 on: February 08, 2022, 04:31:27 AM »
Sorry to beat a dead horse but anybody know how not to blow fresh Indy bushings up in the first session?

A lot of people say that the new stock bushings hold together better and are higher quality but these things still fall apart super quickly for me.

I usually break in new trucks on a curb but is this not the way to go?

Let me know, thanks guys.

A couple of guys I know always blow out any new bushings at any time, mainly cause they don't give them time to wear in and seem to go harder in their "chill skate sessions" than I do on my best day.

That said, I just set up a few new boards not too long ago and most were more just a carpark or skatepark carve session or two more than anything, not really going hard or trying anything much, but just rolling around and leaning left and right a whole lot and they are all worn in perfectly now, from stock tightness to start, to just one turn on the front and two on the back after the first session.

I did notice that one of the boards that the others skated for a bit have more bushing bite marks from the washers and one bushing has actually crushed a lot more than when I am on them, which was interesting to see, but they still work fine for me.

Just goes to show that even a couple of solid tricks cause a bit more wear in the first session or two than just doing laps of a carpark or skatepark.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #10786 on: February 08, 2022, 03:00:23 PM »
I cut some new 215's into 169's recently. Makes my TG reissue setup look more legit than the Stage 10 169's I had on it for years. Stoked on how well they turned out!

Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #10787 on: February 08, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
That is so sick, looks like you did a really clean job on those man. Fuck, makes me wanna send you some 215's and pay you to hack them down to 159's ;D

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10788 on: February 08, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »
I cut some new 215's into 169's recently. Makes my TG reissue setup look more legit than the Stage 10 169's I had on it for years. Stoked on how well they turned out!

Those look amazing. I've seen people do that before but never so nice looking. You killed it.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10789 on: February 08, 2022, 08:46:15 PM »

So how much do I have to pay for you to do that but down to 8.5? haha

Wonderful work, looks like art

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10790 on: February 08, 2022, 10:17:26 PM »

Nicely done. I've seen this done a few times, but it's always complete hack jobs involving pipecutters or some other janky tool. I assume you machined these?

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #10791 on: February 08, 2022, 10:25:00 PM »
Was the spline in the same spot on both axles? I want to cut some old trucks down to rollerskate size

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #10792 on: February 09, 2022, 08:26:39 AM »

Today i broke my first axle ever.. it's a pretty new Indy 144 Ti..i'm 78 Kg, broke them on a flatground Kickflip..
and now, i don't trust them anymore. Thinking about changing both hangers to hollow ones i have laying arround.
Are titanium axles more sensitive than regular ones ? Anyone has experienced something simular ?
I'm so pissed right now.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10793 on: February 09, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »

Today i broke my first axle ever.. it's a pretty new Indy 144 Ti..i'm 78 Kg, broke them on a flatground Kickflip..
and now, i don't trust them anymore. Thinking about changing both hangers to hollow ones i have laying arround.
Are titanium axles more sensitive than regular ones ? Anyone has experienced something simular ?
I'm so pissed right now.

Titanium is stronger and lighter than chromoly steel (which is used in the standard Indys). I'd reach out to NHS, this is probably a defect, and they should cover it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10794 on: February 09, 2022, 09:04:31 AM »

I'm so pissed right now.

For complicated reasons, Titanium, while by and large stronger and more flexible & with a higher yield strength than chromoly, is also more prone to failures from things like  stress risers (which looks like what happened here, as you can see the darker oxidized spot originating from where the axle was splined in the factory). I still completely trust my titanium trucks, and I've seen plenty of chromoly axles crack and fail.

Definitely contact Indy. They only have a 180 day warranty now, but I think a polite and professional email can probably get results.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #10795 on: February 09, 2022, 09:57:10 AM »
Titanium axles technically aren't stronger than solid chromoly's. But people seem to have more problems with hollow or solid regs vs the titanium's, probably just a defect contact NHS. 

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10796 on: February 09, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
Titanium axles technically aren't stronger than solid chromoly's. But people seem to have more problems with hollow or solid regs vs the titanium's, probably just a defect contact NHS.

If the axle actually is Ti, and it's free of risers and voids, it should theoretically be stronger than most all chromoly alloys unless they're annealed, no?

Honestly asking, I'm totally cool with being wrong. Thunder forged Hollows are only 8 grams heavier than the Thunder Ti's. I'd be saving myself a lot of money in the future.  ;D

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10797 on: February 09, 2022, 10:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If the axle actually is Ti, and it's free of risers and voids, it should theoretically be stronger than most all chromoly alloys unless they're annealed, no?

Honestly asking, I'm totally cool with being wrong. Thunder forged Hollows are only 8 grams heavier than the Thunder Ti's. I'd be saving myself a lot of money in the future.  ;D

No, you’re right. There are a thousand mitigating factors (mainly in the form of various alloys), but pound for pound titanium is stronger, more flexible and lighter than the applicable chromoly steel.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #10798 on: February 09, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »
Thx guys. Gonna contact nhs. I'm in germany so I don't know if it would make much sense to send it to the us..
Maybe my shop can help more. Will see.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #10799 on: February 09, 2022, 12:23:04 PM »

I'm so pissed right now.

Damn, that's sketchy. I just got two new pair of forged hollows in 149 and 169. I really like them, but I did notice some possible QC concerns. 3 of the 4 axles look to be rusted internally, and one of them shows rust on the outside where it's uncovered behind the kingpin. I don't think it's a big deal, I hope not at least.