Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232629 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10950 on: March 03, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
Yeah. Easier pop. Thunder = wider wheelbase = steeper angle of pop = more effort to pop.
Also, the tipping point becomes "heavier", duo to wider wheelbase (think gravity). So even tho the "margin of error" is larger duo to more angle, its also heavier to hold. Versus a more mellow setup.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10951 on: March 03, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
But when you get a good pop on a Thunder it's real good. More effort but more reward?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #10952 on: March 03, 2022, 10:05:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back in the days, I used to skate Grind King, and now I skate Thunders (standard, raws) 148.
I've never really skated indy's before, but eager to try something else then Thunders for fun.
Suggestions? Just go indy's, or try ace? Dont like the look of Venture's...
[close]

More info: what are you hoping for?
[close]

Well... I'd like to have more mellow pop, more relaxed balance point and ideally more kingpin clearance. Tho I know the mids dont actually are that beneficial vs grinding down a regular kingpin & nut.

I mostly ride DLX 8.25/8.28

What you're looking for are the new royals. I recently made the switch from thunder to royal

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10953 on: March 03, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »
I like Indy Forged Hollows on those same decks, but honestly I would start with Indy or Thunder because they tend to be more unique and polarizing and see how you get on.

Vintagebody

« Reply #10954 on: March 03, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
But when you get a good pop on a Thunder it's real good. More effort but more reward?

I'm known as the guy who pops all their tricks super high. Id like more finesse, instead of all out power house

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #10955 on: March 03, 2022, 11:20:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm known as the guy who pops all their tricks super high. Id like more finesse, instead of all out power house

Teach me your ways

Vintagebody

« Reply #10956 on: March 03, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »
You just gotta jump, dude.
I guess its genetics. Always been a good jumper

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10957 on: March 03, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why you trying to change if you pop all your shit super high!?
I’m out here buying all types of shit because I can’t pop. Goddamn it.

Vintagebody

« Reply #10958 on: March 03, 2022, 12:55:01 PM »
Bcuz its annoying when trying to be tech with manuals. And learning shit switch.
And I can pop high with anything. 6'4, can dunk. Genetics dude. When people ask how I pop so high, I tell them to jump.
You gotta jump with the board, rather then lifting your knee's.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10959 on: March 03, 2022, 01:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The purpose was to widden the trucks while avoiding the risks of nuts loosening because of the nylock rings barely sitting on the axle threads.

As you explained, it seems that there isn't any benefit, so I'll probably give up the idea.

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated it!
[close]

If you had another two or more washers on the insides as well as what was already there and big (I mean super big) wide wheels that would cover washers and wheel nuts, then it would work well, as per a few cruiser type setups I have had to try to build from old almost broken parts, the most recent was turning some narrow Ventures into wider trucks by doing just that.

I have actually had to do that sort of thing for a mix of helping with roller skates and putting washers on to get the wheels to sit wider and not rub on their really stubby axles too, so in theory it does work, but I would be putting wheels of about 38+ mm in width on to cover the nuts well.
[close]
These trucks will rock a standard set of F4 Classics Full 54mm, so nothing Monster Truck'ish!
[close]

My first pic on the green board has Classic Full 54mm wheels, three washers on the inside and none on the outside, which all sits well.

I wouldn't be adding much else to that though, but the wheels almost sit to the end of the axles when set up like that, so unless you had the equivalent of small 129s on a much bigger 8+ deck, I think it would still work well enough.

I usually have Indy 149s on 8.38 or 8.5 boards nowdays, but before that I had Indy 139s on 8.12 and 8.18 size decks, which worked well.
[close]
My set-up is basically a set of 8" Film trucks on an 8.25" popsicle with 54mm F4, so a pretty standard one. 3 or 4 washers ich side of the hanger and the nuts put on the normal way will probably do the trick.

Thanks.
I just made a try : 3 speed rings inside / wheel / nut in the normal way flush with the axle that feels enough secured leaving about 1mm of lateral movement for the wheel.

It seems perfect. No need for nut shenanigan.

EDIT : Oops, quoting error...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 02:12:02 PM by Solex »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10960 on: March 03, 2022, 05:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back in the days, I used to skate Grind King, and now I skate Thunders (standard, raws) 148.
I've never really skated indy's before, but eager to try something else then Thunders for fun.
Suggestions? Just go indy's, or try ace? Dont like the look of Venture's...
[close]

More info: what are you hoping for?
[close]

Well... I'd like to have more mellow pop, more relaxed balance point and ideally more kingpin clearance. Tho I know the mids dont actually are that beneficial vs grinding down a regular kingpin & nut.

I mostly ride DLX 8.25/8.28
[close]

What you're looking for are the new royals. I recently made the switch from thunder to royal

This is the way - if you want nimbleness of a Thunder Std, above average pinch and surfy turn. Go IKP for more kingpin clearance.

The standards are great and maybe better for a power skater like yourself with the added heft. Or wait a couple of weeks for the Ultralight (hollow kingpin + axle) if you're a sucker like me. My 144 IPK are are 354g, the 144 Ultralights on Royal Japan are 322g, so in the region of a Thunder Light or Venture V-Hollow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10961 on: March 03, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »

I just made a try : 3 speed rings inside / wheel / nut in the normal way flush with the axle that feels enough secured leaving about 1mm of lateral movement for the wheel.

It seems perfect. No need for nut shenanigan.

EDIT : Oops, quoting error...

Yeah that should work nicely.  :)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 28
  • old leg
« Reply #10962 on: March 03, 2022, 07:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Following up on the Tensor MagLight baseplate discrepancies - Never got a reply back on IG so I decided to email them. Below is the email thread. Not entirely sure what to make of it, I guess they are putting the wrong baseplate on at the factory regularly? It can't be a mixup at the skateshop.

-------------------------------------------------

LewFarrell <[email protected]>
Aug 12, 2021, 10:07 PM (8 days ago)
to Highline Distribution (Support)

Hey Tensor fam, I have a question about the MagLight trucks and hoping you can clarify.

Some of the baseplates say Magnesium on the bottom and are lighter (weigh around 75g with kingpin) and some don't say Magnesium and weigh around 100g with the kingpin. Both are MagLight trucks.

Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models?

I tried reaching out on Instagram a few times but had no luck in getting a response. Would appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

Highline Distribution (Support) <[email protected]>
Aug 13, 2021, 8:16 MST
to Lew

Hi,

If they do not say Mag or Magnesium on them, then they are not mag lights trucks. They are the aluminum alloy trucks.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Highline Distribution

Fri, Aug 13, 9:01 PM (7 days ago)

Hi - I think I can clarify further.

As I mentioned in my original email both sets of trucks are indeed labeled MagLight. They are certainly not aluminum alloy trucks.

I'm asking specifically about the "Magnesium" labeling on the bottom of the baseplate. One set of MagLights has this labeling on the baseplate and is about 1/4 (25g) lighter than the baseplate from other set of trucks also labeled MagLight.

I have uploaded pictures of both sets of MagLights to imgur to better illustrate my question.
Baseplate 1: https://imgur.com/gallery/pbUzrMf
Baseplate 2: https://imgur.com/gallery/G9Bll7s

Again my question is - Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models? If old/new, which ones are the current model you are selling?

10:29 AM (1 hour ago)

Hi - just wanted to follow up on this question.
Thanks for your time

Aug 20, 2021, 8:14 MST
to Lew

Hi Lew,

All of our mag light's will have the magnesium stamp on them. From the photo and the weight descriptions, it sounds like it might have been a simple mix up either at the factory or at a skate shop.

We hope that answers your question!

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution
[close]

I emailed thankyousupply and never got a response. If it’s a factory mistake, they must have fucked up on an entire run of these

okay just read this since recently i just bought myself tensor mag lights as well (end of Feb 2022, quite possibly 2020/2021 stock). i guess most of the mag lights trucks now runs with alum baseplates instead of fully magnesium ones.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10963 on: March 03, 2022, 07:36:41 PM »
Expand Quote
The correct answer would be thunders no?  Not worth getting new trucks though….
[close]
Tbh there is truly no correct answer for board/truck pairing. People will recommend things based off experience and although there are people who preach certain board/truck specifications which sound good on paper, it isn't necessarily always the case.
You go with what works for you. There's several accounts of people who love skating Ventures with 14.5"+ WB's and those who skate Aces with 14" WB. I fully support experimentation though especially for those who are interested/curious about trying different truck brands.

Almost 400 pages on this thread and you’re telling me it’s all just….opinions? 

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10964 on: March 03, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Following up on the Tensor MagLight baseplate discrepancies - Never got a reply back on IG so I decided to email them. Below is the email thread. Not entirely sure what to make of it, I guess they are putting the wrong baseplate on at the factory regularly? It can't be a mixup at the skateshop.

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>
Aug 12, 2021, 10:07 PM (8 days ago)

Hey Tensor fam, I have a question about the MagLight trucks and hoping you can clarify.

Some of the baseplates say Magnesium on the bottom and are lighter (weigh around 75g with kingpin) and some don't say Magnesium and weigh around 100g with the kingpin. Both are MagLight trucks.

Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models?

I tried reaching out on Instagram a few times but had no luck in getting a response. Would appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

Aug 13, 2021, 8:16 MST
to Lew

Hi,

If they do not say Mag or Magnesium on them, then they are not mag lights trucks. They are the aluminum alloy trucks.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Highline Distribution

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>
Fri, Aug 13, 9:01 PM (7 days ago)

Hi - I think I can clarify further.

As I mentioned in my original email both sets of trucks are indeed labeled MagLight. They are certainly not aluminum alloy trucks.

I'm asking specifically about the "Magnesium" labeling on the bottom of the baseplate. One set of MagLights has this labeling on the baseplate and is about 1/4 (25g) lighter than the baseplate from other set of trucks also labeled MagLight.

I have uploaded pictures of both sets of MagLights to imgur to better illustrate my question.
Baseplate 1: https://imgur.com/gallery/pbUzrMf
Baseplate 2: https://imgur.com/gallery/G9Bll7s

Again my question is - Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models? If old/new, which ones are the current model you are selling?

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>
10:29 AM (1 hour ago)

Hi - just wanted to follow up on this question.
Thanks for your time

Aug 20, 2021, 8:14 MST
to Lew

Hi Lew,

All of our mag light's will have the magnesium stamp on them. From the photo and the weight descriptions, it sounds like it might have been a simple mix up either at the factory or at a skate shop.

We hope that answers your question!

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution
[close]

I emailed thankyousupply and never got a response. If it’s a factory mistake, they must have fucked up on an entire run of these
[close]

okay just read this since recently i just bought myself tensor mag lights as well (end of Feb 2022, quite possibly 2020/2021 stock). i guess most of the mag lights trucks now runs with alum baseplates instead of fully magnesium ones.

In a later email someone at Tensor said it's part of their "redesign". TwisT also reached out to them, and this was their response:

Hopefully the new ones will have beefy axels.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #10965 on: March 03, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Tbh there is truly no correct answer for board/truck pairing. People will recommend things based off experience and although there are people who preach certain board/truck specifications which sound good on paper, it isn't necessarily always the case.
You go with what works for you. There's several accounts of people who love skating Ventures with 14.5"+ WB's and those who skate Aces with 14" WB. I fully support experimentation though especially for those who are interested/curious about trying different truck brands.
[close]

well if you combine X-trucks with Y-durometer bushings, half a riser back truck, 1/4" front, 53mm F4s on a 8.38" Hockey you should have Z-amount of pop after the fulcrum hits the leverty-bevel and that quantifies the exact ratio of BMI-to-concave.
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #10966 on: March 03, 2022, 08:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

well if you combine X-trucks with Y-durometer bushings, half a riser back truck, 1/4" front, 53mm F4s on a 8.38" Hockey you should have Z-amount of pop after the fulcrum hits the leverty-bevel and that quantifies the exact ratio of BMI-to-concave.

Yo…this shit is not a game.

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #10967 on: March 03, 2022, 08:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yo…this shit is not a game.

Seriously, shit's an Olympic sport!
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #10968 on: March 04, 2022, 07:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

lmaooo there are some very valid opinions of course! this thread can answer a lot of questions or send you down the rabbit hole known as madness. as much as I love nerding out on gear, I'm trying my best to stick with what works for me which are Ventures and Thunders (team deluxe <3). every once in a while, I do get tempted to ride Aces again or try Lurpivs to just switch my whole shit up lol

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #10969 on: March 04, 2022, 02:50:44 PM »
Good work on the mag lite update, 

My new 149 ti with Ace low bushings.  Thx to this thread

Vintagebody

« Reply #10970 on: March 09, 2022, 08:09:55 AM »
Went ahead and got Indy standard raws 144. Made my Real Mason 8.28 deck work alot better.
And dat buttery grind tho, and easier manuals. Guess I gotta buy some titaniums now

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10971 on: March 09, 2022, 08:32:34 AM »
Don’t. Hear me out- stick with what’s working. Till they’re done.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #10972 on: March 09, 2022, 09:05:50 AM »
Don’t. Hear me out- stick with what’s working. Till they’re done.

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10973 on: March 09, 2022, 03:09:00 PM »

I'm messing with bushing setups and it's seems like these bones bushings changed the geometry a bit. Is that going to be an issue or is it fine?

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10974 on: March 09, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm messing with bushing setups and it's seems like these bones bushings changed the geometry a bit. Is that going to be an issue or is it fine?
only way to know is to try it out, the general consensus is that bones medium + no washers + ventures = best turning. so stick with it for a little.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10975 on: March 09, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »

Bushing isn't making full contact with the baseplate, so it's going to be a bit wobbly. Some people like the wobble though. You'd need a taller bottom bushing or some washers until the bushing sits flush if you want a more stable truck.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10976 on: March 09, 2022, 06:00:36 PM »

Thanks for all the tips y'all.

I tried multiple different setups but I ended up back at the one that feels the best to me.

Out of all the set ups this setup turns insanely well, and quick. It feels very agile. I'm just hoping the venture bushing holds up for a while.

Venture v-light 5.6

Ace Af1 pivot cups

Independent 94a conical on feet side with washer

Venture stock street side with bones washer (anybody know the duro?)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 06:07:58 PM by Justrollingthru »

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10977 on: March 09, 2022, 07:01:08 PM »

Thanks for all the tips y'all.

I tried multiple different setups but I ended up back at the one that feels the best to me.

Out of all the set ups this setup turns insanely well, and quick. It feels very agile. I'm just hoping the venture bushing holds up for a while.

Venture v-light 5.6

Ace Af1 pivot cups

Independent 94a conical on feet side with washer

Venture stock street side with bones washer (anybody know the duro?)
purple venture bushings are 98a, i'm not sure if all ventures have the same though.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10978 on: March 09, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
All stock Venture bushings are 90A

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #10979 on: March 09, 2022, 09:43:19 PM »
Have any of y’all gear nerds ever frankentrucked an Ace plate and Thunder hanger?