Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533784 times)

Monopolyman

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4800 on: June 11, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with/recommendations for 9"-9.5" decks with a longer wheelbase (14.25"+)? Only thing that's stood out to me is the double drilled Krooked Cresant

Antihero/Grimple?  They have the classic 9 with a 15 inch wb i think.  Then shaped Grosso and Beach Bum decks are shaped w shorter WB

Edit:  also Frog, Nick Michel Distraction model is 14.4, Pat G and others are similar.  Polar could have something like that Krooked deck too
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:49:22 PM by Monopolyman »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4801 on: June 11, 2022, 06:05:58 PM »
most boards in the 9-9.5 range have a wb over 14.25
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4802 on: June 11, 2022, 09:17:23 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with/recommendations for 9"-9.5" decks with a longer wheelbase (14.25"+)? Only thing that's stood out to me is the double drilled Krooked Cresant

Anti Hero huffer shape. 9.18” with 14.75” wheelbase. There’s a whole cult of us that swear by that shape

Monopolyman

« Reply #4803 on: June 11, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anti Hero huffer shape. 9.18” with 14.75” wheelbase. There’s a whole cult of us that swear by that shape

What width is it by rear trucks?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4804 on: June 11, 2022, 10:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What width is it by rear trucks?

Width at the rear axle riding indys is 8.88”

Other dimensions:
Front axle 8.75”
Front trucks, front bolts 8.7”
Front truck, rear bolt 9”
Rear truck, front bolts 9”
Rear truck rear bolts 8.75”

The thing people like about this deck is that it has the front foot space of a 9” deck while still being light and easy to throw around due to the taper. I usually don’t like shaped decks but the huffer is a winner

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4805 on: June 12, 2022, 03:05:51 AM »

I think most have been covered, but the question is what sort of wheelbase are you really after, as in what is your most preferred option?

Popsicle or shaped as well?

Many brands have longer wheelbases in popsicles, as per other comments, Antihero, Black Label, Darkroom and similar have the 9 x 33 with 15 wb, then shaped decks with 15+ wb including Antihero, Black Label, just for starters.

Brands with shorter wheelbases (still over 14.25 - 14.5+) include Polar, Heroin, Dwindle or HLC brands, Santa Cruz, Creature and shaped decks including Welcome, Madness, and DLX brands.

I think I compiled a list at some point, but would have to go back over old posts to check.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #4806 on: June 12, 2022, 05:09:17 AM »

I’m on a Black Label Black Widow, which is a 14.75 WB I think.

Width over the trucks is 9 in the back, maybe a hair under 9 in the front, but I get zero magic carpet on my Ace AF1 66s.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #4807 on: June 12, 2022, 09:48:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Width over the trucks is 9 in the back, maybe a hair under 9 in the front, but I get zero magic carpet on my Ace AF1 66s.

I don't need any decks right now, but I think about this specific Label board a lot. I've recently skated at least 5 popsicle Label 8.5s in the last year and a half. Probably my favorite shape/dimensions (have a couple more in the stack), but this Widow keeps calling out to me!

Good to know it works well with Ace AF1. I'm an Indy guy so I was thinking 169 and playing with washers, but I'm tempted by Ace since the WB is so hefty at 14.75. I'm 5'10 and 14.5 is my ideal.
Super Champion Fun Zone

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4808 on: June 12, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think most have been covered, but the question is what sort of wheelbase are you really after, as in what is your most preferred option?

Popsicle or shaped as well?

Many brands have longer wheelbases in popsicles, as per other comments, Antihero, Black Label, Darkroom and similar have the 9 x 33 with 15 wb, then shaped decks with 15+ wb including Antihero, Black Label, just for starters.

Brands with shorter wheelbases (still over 14.25 - 14.5+) include Polar, Heroin, Dwindle or HLC brands, Santa Cruz, Creature and shaped decks including Welcome, Madness, and DLX brands.

I think I compiled a list at some point, but would have to go back over old posts to check.

I'm interested in a popsicle actually, like 9"-9.25", and a wheelbase 14.5+. I ride a Dane1 right now with Ace 55 classics and I love it but I'm curious about a popsicle shape. That Black Label widow looks nice, and I've also looked at the polar 9" popsicles. I'm liking the idea of having another deck where I can just switch out the trucks when I want.

qweenmess

« Reply #4809 on: June 12, 2022, 10:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't need any decks right now, but I think about this specific Label board a lot. I've recently skated at least 5 popsicle Label 8.5s in the last year and a half. Probably my favorite shape/dimensions (have a couple more in the stack), but this Widow keeps calling out to me!

Good to know it works well with Ace AF1. I'm an Indy guy so I was thinking 169 and playing with washers, but I'm tempted by Ace since the WB is so hefty at 14.75. I'm 5'10 and 14.5 is my ideal.

This black widow shape looks really nice, I have Ace 55 classics, they're a lot of fun so I'm glad to know those will fit well too. What's the main difference between the egg shape and a popsicle?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 09:01:03 PM by qweenmess »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #4810 on: June 12, 2022, 07:52:24 PM »
Don't think anyone shared this but sorry if this is redundant. Looks like Krooked has a new 9.1 shape. I see it on Cowtown and Tactics. If Tactics measurements are correct, it's 9.1x32x14.5. 6.75 kicks

https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/product_detail.cfm?CatID=145&PID=65169&SKU=178321&LinkID=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnZaVBhA6EiwAVVyv9O9T8JC-wTQSxJQ2dwm-GFlsRDoPi_GqkMTTjgW7KwmnToNiD3AQEhoCeeIQAvD_BwE

Looks like a fun shape but I've been pretty committed to the 8-8.25 range as of late

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #4811 on: June 13, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »
Got myself a Nerd

Set it up with the 14.5 WB
Indy 159 hollow
F4 Oski Radial 55

First session was pretty fun. I think it will benefit from adding a little riser pad though.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #4812 on: June 13, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
Got myself a Nerd

Set it up with the 14.5 WB
Indy 159 hollow
F4 Oski Radial 55

First session was pretty fun. I think it will benefit from adding a little riser pad though.

Holy shit that’s gorgeous
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4813 on: June 17, 2022, 07:53:26 PM »
Set this deck up two months ago and I'm never skating a smaller deck again.

I feel like I want to switch it up sometime in the future tho, is there any shaped decks thats 33+ & 15wb?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #4814 on: June 18, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »

I feel like I want to switch it up sometime in the future tho, is there any shaped decks thats 33+ & 15wb?

lookin' good, a buddy of mine also got one a while back and instantly fell in love too.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4815 on: June 19, 2022, 01:19:54 AM »

What are the specs on this?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4817 on: June 19, 2022, 03:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Its the anti Hero Orange Eagle shape, 9x33

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4818 on: June 19, 2022, 03:19:25 AM »
Black Label continues to kill it

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4S3VSvsyF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

like these more than the black widow graphic tbh.
if i remember correctly youve been through a couple of those already.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4819 on: June 19, 2022, 05:28:39 AM »
Black Label continues to kill it

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4S3VSvsyF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is so good. Sadly Black Label decks are hard to come by in Europe so I might never be able to get one.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Its the anti Hero Orange Eagle shape, 9x33

Thanks. Been thinking of getting one for a good while but haven’t done it yet. Not a big fan of the eagle graphic myself and most of the others Antihero has done for the 9.0” pop haven’t been too good either. Never had a single Hockey deck. Not really sure why. I like how this board looks a lot.

I have way too many decks in my stack as it is but these both are tempting me a bunch.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4820 on: June 19, 2022, 05:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote

This is so good. Sadly Black Label decks are hard to come by in Europe so I might never be able to get one.

Sickboards in the Netherlands, Skatetilldeath in Belgium, and Concrete Wave and Titus in Germany carry them from the top of my head. tho i havn't even seen the Funeral French series anywhere yet, so we never know what decks pup up here or not.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4821 on: June 19, 2022, 07:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sickboards in the Netherlands, Skatetilldeath in Belgium, and Concrete Wave and Titus in Germany carry them from the top of my head. tho i havn't even seen the Funeral French series anywhere yet, so we never know what decks pup up here or not.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out on those shops if I haven’t found a cure for the madness before that.  :D

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4822 on: June 22, 2022, 10:03:11 AM »
Hey guys,

Although I thought I never would, it looks like I'm going to get myself an old-school set up, Powell Vallely or Cab, something that I had back in the day. I have a few questions for those with experience with these re-issues:

Trucks: I skate Thunders, so it's 161 right? I see people set up old Powell boards with Indy 159's and those are even narrower and they look fine (in photos at least). Shops around here don't carry re-issues so I can't go to the shop and see for myself.

Second and even more important question: can you actually skate those fucking things? I'm not looking for a cruiser, I want to actually skate it. I see what Max Geronzi does with those boards but he could skate a 2x4 and I'm no Max Geronzi. I'm looking for a simpler way to skate, stop worrying about flip and switch tricks, do some basic curb/ledge/tranny skating, maybe find a bit of a new spark to the whole thing.

I don't know anyone with such a board so I can't try one before I buy one. I'd need a whole new set up so it's expensive and I don't want an expensive board to gather dust in the corner. Or maybe I'd be better off buying a new driver or put that money towards a new set of irons that I'd actually use instead.

Sorry for a bit of a rambling post, I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4823 on: June 22, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
Hey guys,

Although I thought I never would, it looks like I'm going to get myself an old-school set up, Powell Vallely or Cab, something that I had back in the day. I have a few questions for those with experience with these re-issues:

Trucks: I skate Thunders, so it's 161 right? I see people set up old Powell boards with Indy 159's and those are even narrower and they look fine (in photos at least). Shops around here don't carry re-issues so I can't go to the shop and see for myself.

Second and even more important question: can you actually skate those fucking things? I'm not looking for a cruiser, I want to actually skate it. I see what Max Geronzi does with those boards but he could skate a 2x4 and I'm no Max Geronzi. I'm looking for a simpler way to skate, stop worrying about flip and switch tricks, do some basic curb/ledge/tranny skating, maybe find a bit of a new spark to the whole thing.

I don't know anyone with such a board so I can't try one before I buy one. I'd need a whole new set up so it's expensive and I don't want an expensive board to gather dust in the corner. Or maybe I'd be better off buying a new driver or put that money towards a new set of irons that I'd actually use instead.

Don’t buy golf stuff. Skateboarding is much more fun.

I haven’t had any of those reissue boards but when I spent about 1.5 years in Oulu a a while back I saw the kids at the indoor park ripping all sorts of reissue boards. Crazy stuff. Completely flat boards with no concave, loose ass trucks with huge soft wheels and massive risers. And some of the kids were tiny. Ripping it up like crazy. So I’d say you can definitely skate those.

As for trucks it all depends on what you want. I’ve used this website to figure out what the board width is at the trucks:
https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html

Just upload a pic of the deck and draw the reference line in the widest part and input the width and then measure where the axles would sit. I try to match back truck width with to the board at the back truck axle but some ppl like to do go wider overall.

I just set up a Heroin Curb Crusher XL as my cruiser. It’s a lot like the old boards but it does have modern concave. It’s weird with the tiny nose. I never skated the 80s fish shaped boards but I like this cruiser. It’s fun and different, exciting.

Also make sure you take into account the wheel width if you get wheels like the OJs Hot Juice for example, which I did. Those are so wide and have quite an offset that they add about 0.375” to the axle width of the truck.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4824 on: June 22, 2022, 12:58:53 PM »
Hey guys,

For Powell reissues you need 6 hole baseplates unless you want to redrill the board, which Indy 159s and 169s come with.

I skate 159s on a Steve Saiz reissue and I think it's perfect as the area where the axle hangs over is under 9". I had a Mike V reissue with 169s before and IMO 159s would've made it a better fit. I think it would also depend on what wheels you're using. If you're using large wide wheels, go with 159s. If you're using slim smaller wheels, go with 169s.

The reissues themselves are fine quality, but very mellow/flat so some people feel they don't have pop especially since most of them have a longer wheelbase. I found 1/8" risers with my Indys made the board pop feel much better.

For any of the Powell vids, if they're skating Mini Logo trucks it's going to be the 8.75" version of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnXv3d6Km0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQy8TkC46Xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJtLahy4pqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8O2Fyv0-ZU

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4825 on: June 22, 2022, 09:08:46 PM »
Hey guys,

I feel like the others have covered some really good points, but here is my take on it as well, coming from working in skate shops and being around a lot of product, including standing on almost any and every variation of board, both old school and normal current styles, as well as skating many of them, even if it is just one run in a bowl or something when someone set up a new one and we all got a bit of a go.

First question is what is your current setup, not so much about the brands, but more sizes, types of product you have had that works for you in the past, etc?  You said Thunders (which are a really good truck) and will still work on anything, but what else?

The only other thing I am really aware of now are how in my mind a board I had back in the 80s with that concave (or lack of) and whatever was on it, just does not compare whatsoever to the modern setups, specifically concave and feel of some bigger decks of similar dimensions to the old Powell, Vision, Santa Cruz boards, but many companies like Black Label as just one example, do regularly put out big boards that are shaped like the older boards in a modern concave that do not cost half as much as high price reissues and skate so much better than those others too.

You can still fit it out with all the modern brands of whatever product you want and it will work and in turn be way less likely to gather dust in a corner and help you have a good skate on any terrain, as you mentioned.

I don't know your location, or what sort of stock / brands any local shops do have in stock, but often going into those shops to just check out anything in a wider option - stand on whatever you can to get a feel for it if they will let you - which will then help you to make a better decision.

As for big board options in brands that work, there are so many looking back through this thread, but anything from DLX - Antihero, Krooked, or as mentioned Black Label, then others like Heroin, even some Frog, or Scram, some of the Dwindle boards like New Deal, 101, Madness or PS Stix boards like Dogtown, just to cover most of the major woodshops, but that is by no means the end of a list either.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4826 on: June 23, 2022, 12:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey guys,

[close]

I feel like the others have covered some really good points, but here is my take on it as well, coming from working in skate shops and being around a lot of product, including standing on almost any and every variation of board, both old school and normal current styles, as well as skating many of them, even if it is just one run in a bowl or something when someone set up a new one and we all got a bit of a go.

First question is what is your current setup, not so much about the brands, but more sizes, types of product you have had that works for you in the past, etc?  You said Thunders (which are a really good truck) and will still work on anything, but what else?

The only other thing I am really aware of now are how in my mind a board I had back in the 80s with that concave (or lack of) and whatever was on it, just does not compare whatsoever to the modern setups, specifically concave and feel of some bigger decks of similar dimensions to the old Powell, Vision, Santa Cruz boards, but many companies like Black Label as just one example, do regularly put out big boards that are shaped like the older boards in a modern concave that do not cost half as much as high price reissues and skate so much better than those others too.

You can still fit it out with all the modern brands of whatever product you want and it will work and in turn be way less likely to gather dust in a corner and help you have a good skate on any terrain, as you mentioned.

I don't know your location, or what sort of stock / brands any local shops do have in stock, but often going into those shops to just check out anything in a wider option - stand on whatever you can to get a feel for it if they will let you - which will then help you to make a better decision.

As for big board options in brands that work, there are so many looking back through this thread, but anything from DLX - Antihero, Krooked, or as mentioned Black Label, then others like Heroin, even some Frog, or Scram, some of the Dwindle boards like New Deal, 101, Madness or PS Stix boards like Dogtown, just to cover most of the major woodshops, but that is by no means the end of a list either.

Thanks for bringing this up. This is something I have been thinking about, that maybe getting a modern version of the old stuff would indeed be better as I'm sure they skate way better than the re-issues. That Chico Stix gallo pinto for example looks really sick.

My current set up is 8,25 deck, Thunder 147's (I prefer a bit of a magic carpet ride over hotrod) 51mm wheels, very basic. I've skated non-stop from the late 80's with my set up being quite conservative and "with the times", I've never gone too crazy with it. Never any steep and wide Silverstar boards with big wheels or shaped boards later on. I've worked my way up from 7,5 decks of the mid nineties to settling to 8,25 maybe 10 years ago. I've skated 51mm/52mm wheels since forever and I'm going to keep skating smallish wheels that slide, maybe go up a few mm for a bigger board.

I definitely have to look into the newer stuff, and see what's available before pulling the trigger. I'm in Helsinki so there are good shops but maybe not that much variety with the bigger stuff. If I find something here, I'd rather get it locally than online, of course.

@yourbreakfsat : your post pretty much had all I wanted to know regarding the Powell re-issues, thanks. The videos of the  Powell team skating them give a great perspective on how the boards really skate.

@Roisto: the width measuring website was cool and thanks for the points regarding truck/wheel width.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4827 on: June 23, 2022, 10:18:13 AM »
The curb crusher xl is pretty awesome if you are looking for an old school feeling board with modern concave. Zip Zogger and Black label black widow pig deck are also nice for this kind of thing.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4828 on: June 29, 2022, 07:41:25 PM »
Spider eggs anyone?

Picking one up asap.

qweenmess

« Reply #4829 on: June 30, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »
Alright, after lots of deliberation I've narrowed down my 9" popsicle search to two options:

Polar 9" (with wheel wells):

9 x 32.25
14.5 WB
Nose: 7"
Tail: 6.75

Hockey 9" (Same shape as AntiHero):

9 x 33.25
15 WB
Nose: 7.25
Tail: 6.75

I'll be riding them on Ace 55 classics and 55mm F4 classics. For context, I'm currently riding a Dane1, and while I really love it, I find it's a little squirrelly for me and I notice my feet feeling a little too close for comfort. I'm 6'3" with a size 12 foot.

Overall I'm leaning towards the Polar deck but the extra wheelbase and and length of the Hockey deck does intrigue me. My concern is if the Hockey deck feels unreasonably heavier or clunkier compared to the Polar. How does each deck handle different kind of tricks? Does anyone have experience with either deck or with something similar?

🌻