Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533980 times)

yourbreakfsat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5520 on: May 30, 2023, 09:38:02 PM »
Another fan of the orange eagle

Making a 8.75 Blue meanie and a 8.75 BBS blank (white eagle) look small.

I'm 6'5" 210lbs with size 14 feet, anything smaller than 8.75 feels like a kids board.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5521 on: May 30, 2023, 10:56:16 PM »

So happy this has happened, Big up Ronnie Sandoval, can’t wait to get one, I could go on all day about how perfect this shape is.

I know what I'm getting next.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5522 on: May 31, 2023, 03:49:53 AM »
It’s funny, I try all these setups, switch my decks/wheels etc out all the time. Nothing seemed to feel good. Set this up and it was like “ok this is for me”.
My ankle has been jacked for weeks, this cheered me up.

Antihero ba shape 9.25
Indy 169 with blue 92 med/hard
Spitfire f4 lockin full 55 99a
Quantum isotopes
Rad railz
Jessup
Roughneck Allen 7/8
Dunks with fp king foam orthotics

Have you skated one before? I had one and it’s probably my favorite deck ever. After that I’ve been skating decks I mainly don’t like. Maybe I should just stop pretending I’ll eventually get along with stuff I don’t get along with and just get another BA deck instead.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5523 on: May 31, 2023, 07:34:01 AM »
I have skated this a few times, I would bounce back and forth between this and the polar 1991 shape but that tail is shorter than the ba. I opened to order a few for myself and am gonna stick with it.
I too have felt like nothing else feels as good as this board.
Not a big fan of the graphic but it’s fine.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5524 on: May 31, 2023, 07:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote

So happy this has happened, Big up Ronnie Sandoval, can’t wait to get one, I could go on all day about how perfect this shape is.
[close]

I know what I'm getting next.

Seconding this. I've been eager to try the shape, but I wasn't feeling the graphics. Definitely buying one of these once they hit EU stores.

Edit: quick question, which size Ace would you guys run on the sweatpants shape? Currently skating AF1 77s on the Heroin Mutant, but I'm wondering if I'll be hot rodding on the slightly skinnier 9.81.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 03:08:36 PM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5525 on: June 01, 2023, 12:44:33 AM »
I have skated this a few times, I would bounce back and forth between this and the polar 1991 shape but that tail is shorter than the ba. I opened to order a few for myself and am gonna stick with it.
I too have felt like nothing else feels as good as this board.
Not a big fan of the graphic but it’s fine.

Forgot about the Polar 1991. I have one in the stack. It looks quite similar. Maybe I’ll set that up next and see how I like it. I don’t have a good history with Polar boards. They’ve all felt somehow off for me so we’ll see how the 1991 goes. Would be nice to stick with the BA shape though.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5526 on: June 01, 2023, 06:42:52 AM »
Another fan of the orange eagle

Making a 8.75 Blue meanie and a 8.75 BBS blank (white eagle) look small.

I'm 6'5" 210lbs with size 14 feet, anything smaller than 8.75 feels like a kids board.

Not as big as you but heavier. I fall in and out of love with mine. Sometimes it’s a fucking longboard, but others it’s perfect.
If I were taller or had slightly bigger feet I could probably make use of the giant kicks. I like the wheelbase.

The Wilkins and Russell Creature decks are super nice, but their tails are too short. They’re just large-ish decks that have been drilled back. Im looking for something with 14.75”-15” wheelbase, at around 32,5 inches, with a proper tail. Not too concerned with the nose size/shape yet. I’m not strictly into 9”+ boards, as I think length/wb are more important I making a board feel big, so I’ll start liking them from 8,6 and up.
The Anti Hero Huffer is in my sights, but don’t know what else to check out. Also the Evisen 8.75”, im dwindle curious and not ashamed.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #5527 on: June 01, 2023, 08:42:10 PM »

The Anti Hero Huffer is in my sights,

You know what to do. Its a 9 1/8" that rides like a 8.75". You owe to yourself to check one out.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5528 on: June 02, 2023, 04:12:52 AM »

Just found one on a European store. Gonna pair it with a set of classic Ace 55's I still had laying around and see if the shape beats the Heroin Mutant as my favorite shaped deck.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5529 on: June 02, 2023, 01:50:32 PM »
XPost

Heroin Razor Edge Egg 9.5”X14.25WB
Ace 66 Classic
Bones Dragon 54mm
Bronson Raw

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5530 on: June 02, 2023, 11:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You know what to do. Its a 9 1/8" that rides like a 8.75". You owe to yourself to check one out.

Yeah man, and I promise I’ll check back in with you guys, how I’m doing when I get it.

Do you guys have to wear every board to dust, to justify getting the next?

What do you do with a board that you know have many more miles in them, but you’d much rather ride something else?

(Edit; is this question good enough for a thread subject?)
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5531 on: June 03, 2023, 06:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah man, and I promise I’ll check back in with you guys, how I’m doing when I get it.

What do you do with a board that you know have many more miles in them, but you’d much rather ride something else?

Are you actually gonna ride it again? If no, the answer is always giving it to someone less privileged

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5532 on: June 03, 2023, 05:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you actually gonna ride it again? If no, the answer is always giving it to someone less privileged

I have the two different options where boards like that are concerned:

1.  I will still ride it again at some point, but not right now, so keep it.

2.  I will never ride it again, so it goes in the car, or to the indoor park and then goes to someone who wants that size / shape of board, when the time arises.

When people leave boards at parks or elsewhere, more often than not the first person there takes the lot, which often is not the person who would benefit the most, so sometimes I have had people bring in stuff they got to swap for something they want in a different size, shape or whatever.

Not a worry as I know some people who skate early mornings are not going to hang around to see who needs a board, as per a couple of guys I know, one even can't deal with the thought of parting with things, so when he leaves them, it is a lot easier than finding someone who would be happy with it, and less of a struggle putting things on ebay / gumtree or other selling platform and dealing with people who offer low bids or waste your time.

I guess it also depends on the area you are in as well.  Some of the skateparks seem to have more of the people who can buy whatever they like and often turn their nose up at used boards, silly as that sounds to me, cause when I was younger, I was stoked on anything, but that's the way kids are there.  Other places, I feel like I almost need to give them a whole skateboard, as everything they are riding or sharing is pretty much end of the line.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

animalflesh

« Reply #5533 on: June 03, 2023, 06:33:57 PM »

My shape from now on

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5534 on: June 03, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »
details?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5536 on: June 06, 2023, 07:31:09 PM »

Thought this would be relevant here as well:

I'm not sure what thread this info goes best in, but for you Egg and general shape riders, Tactics now includes the width over the front and back truck on shape deck listings

Could post in all of them, including the Woodshop thread, the Egg thread, the 9+ big boards thread because they are the ones relevant to shaped boards, which are not always but usually bigger by width too.

Thanks for the info!!

:)

Example:

Example:

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/barbee-bird-nest-95-rays-street-shape-skateboard-deck/navy

SPECS
SIZE   9.5
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.0
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.5
BACK WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.5

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #5537 on: June 07, 2023, 01:51:43 AM »
came across with girl board at shop recently(shaped ones, loveseat or phawt i think) size 9 but with wheelbase under 14", does it do good to carve in bowls? since i torn my knee and can't really ollie much might as well do other things. also thinking to pair it with ace classics, how tight the turns it will be?

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5538 on: June 07, 2023, 05:45:18 AM »

My shape from now on

That Label is sick.  What size trucks are you running?  Can you share the width at the mounting holes?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5539 on: June 07, 2023, 05:53:51 AM »
came across with girl board at shop recently(shaped ones, loveseat or phawt i think) size 9 but with wheelbase under 14", does it do good to carve in bowls? since i torn my knee and can't really ollie much might as well do other things. also thinking to pair it with ace classics, how tight the turns it will be?

couch or loveseat has sub 14” w/b, phawt has a lot longer one. I only skate street with my loveseat, but I though the general consensus is: short wheelbase for techy/ nimble type skating and long wheelbase for cruisy bowl type skating no?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5540 on: June 07, 2023, 06:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
couch or loveseat has sub 14” w/b, phawt has a lot longer one. I only skate street with my loveseat, but I though the general consensus is: short wheelbase for techy/ nimble type skating and long wheelbase for cruisy bowl type skating no?

Generally speaking, I think that’s right.

animalflesh

« Reply #5541 on: June 07, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote

My shape from now on
[close]

That Label is sick.  What size trucks are you running?  Can you share the width at the mounting holes?

Ace AF1 66

The last one measured 8.8 back truck and a little over 9.2 front truck

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5542 on: June 07, 2023, 07:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My shape from now on
[close]

[close]

Ace AF1 66

The last one measured 8.8 back truck and a little over 9.2 front truck

Thank you.  That board looks great.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #5543 on: June 07, 2023, 08:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

so for this kind of park its better skate with longer wheelbase? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjhOGmEpHM4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5544 on: June 08, 2023, 04:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think it’s up to individual preference, but general thinking is that longer wheelbases are better for transition because they are more stable. Shorter wheelbases are better for flip tricks/flat ground but they are less stable and flip easier.

But, again, all personal preference.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #5545 on: June 08, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Could be a lot of tight turns with some of those lines. I think the longer WB for transition theory applies mostly to bigger transition and vert halfpipes. For a park like that, I'd just stick to what you are comfortable with.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5546 on: June 08, 2023, 09:55:06 AM »
Anti-Hero 9.25X32.25X14.43 BA shape
Ace 55 Classic
Spitfire F4 58 OG Classic
Bronson Ceramics
1/8 risers
Pepper Grip
Vans Wayvee

Daydream

• Rep: 64
« Reply #5547 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53:38 PM »
XPost

Ace 66 Classic
Bones Dragon 54mm
Bronson Raw

Love this - how are you liking it? Would 9" trucks would work well with the 9.5" heroin eggs too? I haven't seen in hand to measure the width over the wheels.

and any additional thoughts on using aces with the 14.25" wb?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5548 on: June 08, 2023, 01:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote
XPost

Ace 66 Classic
Bones Dragon 54mm
Bronson Raw

[close]
Love this - how are you liking it? Would 9" trucks would work well with the 9.5" heroin eggs too? I haven't seen in hand to measure the width over the wheels.

I'm liking this.

This is predominantly my curb board, so Aces with the short wheelbase allows me get quicker and sharper turns when bashing into the curb.

I think 9" Aces would work as the measurements (according to Fos' 9Club) is 9" over the trucks. I used 66s as they were what I had in hand.

Daydream

• Rep: 64
« Reply #5549 on: June 08, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
XPost

Ace 66 Classic
Bones Dragon 54mm
Bronson Raw

[close]

[close]

I'm liking this.

This is predominantly my curb board, so Aces with the short wheelbase allows me get quicker and sharper turns when bashing into the curb.

I think 9" Aces would work as the measurements (according to Fos' 9Club) is 9" over the trucks. I used 66s as they were what I had in hand.
Thank you! Still need to listen through that episode.