Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202019 times)

Slugboi22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2400 on: January 19, 2023, 04:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I know someone has mentioned this before somewhere but has anyone tried the DLX 8.38 14.5 WB shape with thunder 149s and 1/8th risers? I have a few in my stack (roman numeral 1) and am debating putting thunders or aces on them. I also have indy hollow forged. Any advice would be appreciated.
[close]

Yes, same as what I usually ride nowdays, and tried them on every truck just to see. 

More than anything it is the truck itself that you are either going to be used to or not so used to, along with the wheelbase, given they are 14.5 which to some people is already too long, they definitely feel a bit more "lengthy" on Thunders and Ventures, than on Ace or Indy, but there are people who ride them on whatever truck and do not have any issues, eg Kyle Walker and Chima are on that shape on Thunders.  Adding a riser is not going to change a whole lot to the overall feel, just a little higher and less wheelbite.

The shape has a slightly shorter / smaller tail than some boards, so although I prefer Thunders on the 8.5 with 14.38 wb and Indy on the 8.38 with 14.5 wb, there is nothing to say they will not work on either board, with whatever combination of trucks too.

For me - Indy standard trucks, no risers, but for Thunder trucks, I always add risers, just to have a little more room.

I am also old / lazy so I prefer more mellow boards and will park on the kicks just to flatten out anything other than IV marked boards, but I have skated steeper boards from other people and not had a problem, again just down to what you like.

End of the day I would say set one up with Thunders and see how it feels, swap over to Indy or Ace if you feel like the tail is too short or too quick and then ride which ever one feels better for you.
thank you for the insight and response! i think i will go ahead and put the thunders on as i am already working in a nice groove on my set. excited to try it out with the 14.5. :-)

Slugboi22

« Reply #2401 on: January 19, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I know someone has mentioned this before somewhere but has anyone tried the DLX 8.38 14.5 WB shape with thunder 149s and 1/8th risers? I have a few in my stack (roman numeral 1) and am debating putting thunders or aces on them. I also have indy hollow forged. Any advice would be appreciated.
[close]

Yes, same as what I usually ride nowdays, and tried them on every truck just to see. 

More than anything it is the truck itself that you are either going to be used to or not so used to, along with the wheelbase, given they are 14.5 which to some people is already too long, they definitely feel a bit more "lengthy" on Thunders and Ventures, than on Ace or Indy, but there are people who ride them on whatever truck and do not have any issues, eg Kyle Walker and Chima are on that shape on Thunders.  Adding a riser is not going to change a whole lot to the overall feel, just a little higher and less wheelbite.

The shape has a slightly shorter / smaller tail than some boards, so although I prefer Thunders on the 8.5 with 14.38 wb and Indy on the 8.38 with 14.5 wb, there is nothing to say they will not work on either board, with whatever combination of trucks too.

For me - Indy standard trucks, no risers, but for Thunder trucks, I always add risers, just to have a little more room.

I am also old / lazy so I prefer more mellow boards and will park on the kicks just to flatten out anything other than IV marked boards, but I have skated steeper boards from other people and not had a problem, again just down to what you like.

End of the day I would say set one up with Thunders and see how it feels, swap over to Indy or Ace if you feel like the tail is too short or too quick and then ride which ever one feels better for you.
Thanks for the insight and response! I think i’m just going to go ahead and stick with thunders as i’m beginning to get a nice groove in them. :-)

Slugboi22

« Reply #2402 on: January 19, 2023, 04:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for the insight and response! I think i’m just going to stick with my thunders as i’m getting a nice groove started on them. I’ll keep the Indy/Ace idea in mind though  :-)

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #2403 on: January 20, 2023, 06:27:56 AM »
Anybody have issues with Mob grip lately?  My past 4 or 5 decks, I'll grab my board the next day and it seems like there is always an area or two that is bubbling up.  I've used Mob for years and never had this issue.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2404 on: January 20, 2023, 09:57:26 AM »
Anybody have issues with Mob grip lately?  My past 4 or 5 decks, I'll grab my board the next day and it seems like there is always an area or two that is bubbling up.  I've used Mob for years and never had this issue.
cold outside, warm inside can have this effect
it seems MOB changed something because of Covid (formula or factory change)
or just a bad batch

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #2405 on: January 20, 2023, 10:06:42 AM »
I only skate Mob and I haven't had this issue at all with mine.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2406 on: January 20, 2023, 10:16:08 AM »
I've had issues with mob for about 3 boards in a row. I think that the glue needed heat. Like a hairdryer or whatever.

I'm riding jessup rn. Shit is just better. I'm not going back
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #2407 on: January 20, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm gonna switch on my next deck.  It's just happened too much lately.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2408 on: January 20, 2023, 05:38:32 PM »
I love my ace f1 lows and I want to turn my set of indys (don’t know the model because I never care until recently) into lows for another setup but don’t want to buy another set of trucks.  Can I buy forged mid hollow baseplates and do they even sell them separately?  I guess more importantly is the lower geometry of forged mid hollows in the baseplate or the hanger?

Edit:
Just saw on the nhs website the change in height comes from the hanger.  Leaving this here incase anybody else ever wonders.

Edit2:
Would lower bushings lower the truck?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 06:18:24 PM by metchup »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2409 on: January 20, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »
I love my ace f1 lows and I want to turn my set of indys (don’t know the model because I never care until recently) into lows for another setup but don’t want to buy another set of trucks.  Can I buy forged mid hollow baseplates and do they even sell them separately?  I guess more importantly is the lower geometry of forged mid hollows in the baseplate or the hanger?

Edit:
Just saw on the nhs website the change in height comes from the hanger.  Leaving this here incase anybody else ever wonders.

Edit2:

Changing the top bushings don't do much at all, besides using a significantly lower top bushing sometimes making the metal top washer stop on the hanger, limiting the turn.

Changing the height of the bottom bushing (or leaving out the bottom washer) will both change the height of the truck and the natural truck geometry, but by how much is dependent on the truck and what bushings you put in.

From that old Nine Club Ishod interview, he uses two top bushings on each truck, which definitely changes things a lot, not to mention blows out pivot cups more frequently, but that is a workable solution to his needs.

In trying the opposite, cutting down the top and putting that bit I cut off with the bottom bushing is an interesting one on old Indy trucks too, which makes them feel a lot more like Ace in the turn of them - so quick.

As to any other things, I know some trucks, like Thunder and Venture especially, if the bottom bushing blows out or compresses so much that the kingpin nut is almost touching the hanger and makes it really hard to get a tool around, which is why I have a spanner handy for those sorts of situations.  They can also feel very different in the turn compared to trucks that have the bottom bushing at full height.

As to Indy baseplates, they only sell the standard baseplates and the inverted kingpin baseplates, both the normal cast height, so if you want forged anything, you have to buy the whole truck set and swap things out, but some people might sell a set of forged baseplates separate to the hangers for whatever reason.  I have picked up a few sets from ebay over the years, the normal ones that is, not any for the new mid trucks with inverted kingpin option.

Indy standard trucks = 55mm tall, 53.5 with forged plates.

Indy mid trucks = 52mm tall, 50.5 with forged plates.

Indy low trucks (which they don't make any more) are about 50 / 48 from when I measured the sets I have, but I can't remember exactly now.

Yes it is all in the hanger, cause they are the same baseplates for whatever options, but the low truck set did have shorter kingpins too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2410 on: January 20, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »

Edit:

Edit2:

Not by much, and it will mess up the geo. Low top bushing is fine though, but obviously won't affect the height.
Forged baseplates will lower your trucks by 1.5mm btw.

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #2411 on: January 21, 2023, 08:51:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I’ll probably buy a set of forged mid hollow so I have options in height, at least that’s my justification for spending more money

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #2412 on: January 21, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
where is Ellingtons shifty flip ? I just watched his baker 3 and baker has a death wish parts, can't see to find it, currently about to watch all of baker 2g in its entirety

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2413 on: January 21, 2023, 02:41:48 PM »
where is Ellingtons shifty flip ? I just watched his baker 3 and baker has a death wish parts, can't see to find it, currently about to watch all of baker 2g in its entirety

From the top of my head, I only remember a shifty flip from Szafranski in Baker 3. I don't remember a shifty flip from Ellington. Maybe in The Deathwish Video? Or in a Shake Junt video? Maybe even in the old Zero video?

Ellington is rad.
IG: @flowterspace

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2414 on: January 22, 2023, 01:29:16 PM »
Do Indy riser pads line up with Ace? I've got spare parts sitting around and want to run some big wheels on Ace's but I don't want to buy more risers if I can just swap these

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2415 on: January 22, 2023, 01:42:59 PM »
Trying to find a recent video/ video part. Someone does wallie blunt on the Trader Vic’s hubba in ATL. I thought it was in Play Dead but I can’t find it… any clues?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2416 on: January 22, 2023, 10:04:58 PM »
Do Indy riser pads line up with Ace? I've got spare parts sitting around and want to run some big wheels on Ace's but I don't want to buy more risers if I can just swap these

Not that well. I feel like Indy riser pads don’t even line up with Indys. I’ve been happy with the Real 3ply wooden risers. Ace risers should probably work nicely also and then slotted ones like Bones (& Lucky? & Krooked?).

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #2417 on: January 22, 2023, 11:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not that well. I feel like Indy riser pads don’t even line up with Indys. I’ve been happy with the Real 3ply wooden risers. Ace risers should probably work nicely also and then slotted ones like Bones (& Lucky? & Krooked?).

From the tactics website in the details of an ace truck:
“ NON-COMPATIBLE RISERS
Risers from the following brands are not compatible with the baseplates of these trucks.

Diamond, Girl, Independent, Loaded, Paris”

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #2418 on: January 23, 2023, 02:30:46 PM »
Which cupsole has the widest/highest toe area without heel slip? I went down half a size on #420 with no heel slip. However, both my pinky toes are mashed, the toe to the left of the left big toe is swollen, and the center toe on my right foot is almost as bad. The heel slip is bad if I go TTS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve tried using thinner, Stance socks, but it doesn’t help by much. My toes aren’t as swollen but they’re more irritated from the rubbing between the socks and toe area.

Edit (TLDR):
Any recommendations (preferably cupsole) for someone with fat toes but a narrow heel/back foot?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 04:59:09 PM by Pasta Monster »

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2419 on: January 23, 2023, 03:37:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, I found the same issue with Indy risers not lining up perfectly on Indy's too. Was just hoping to save a couple bucks but oh well. Probably gonna look into some of the real risers.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2420 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:13 PM »
This has probably been asked before but what is the sizing on the Ishod shoe? Im a size 9 in vans, emerica and lakai but with dunks or adidas I wear an 8.5.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2421 on: January 23, 2023, 09:07:52 PM »
This has probably been asked before but what is the sizing on the Ishod shoe? Im a size 9 in vans, emerica and lakai but with dunks or adidas I wear an 8.5.

I got gifted a pair and I'd say they run TTS if you have a regular foot shape. I got a wide foot and got 1/2 a size up, there was a bit too much space at the front of the shoe but the toe box is snug. If I'd gone to my usual 9.5 the length would be right but too tight around the toes. Doesn't help that I have huge bunions.

In general I find Nikes and Adidas to fit narrower feet bests, same applies to their running / skate shoes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2422 on: January 24, 2023, 05:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, I found the same issue with Indy risers not lining up perfectly on Indy's too. Was just hoping to save a couple bucks but oh well. Probably gonna look into some of the real risers.

mini logo pads have oblong holes
they fit and are the cheapest

Scottboarding

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2423 on: January 24, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »
Would those new Ace hollow bolts* with the grippers on the head be bad for setting up and taking off trucks/risers multiple times during the life of the board? I feel like those grippers would eventually wear the holes too wide for any hardware to be able to fit. 

* https://mesaskatesupply.com/products/ace-hollow-bolts-w-grippers-allen-1

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #2424 on: January 24, 2023, 12:24:19 PM »
Would those new Ace hollow bolts* with the grippers on the head be bad for setting up and taking off trucks/risers multiple times during the life of the board? I feel like those grippers would eventually wear the holes too wide for any hardware to be able to fit. 

I made the mistake of turning the screw instead of the nut on one of those, it tears up the board.  If you keep the screw stationary and turn only the nut it should be good no matter how many times you remove or add the hardware

Scottboarding

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2425 on: January 24, 2023, 12:28:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I made the mistake of turning the screw instead of the nut on one of those, it tears up the board.  If you keep the screw stationary and turn only the nut it should be good no matter how many times you remove or add the hardware
Cool, thanks. My local just got some in and I’m a sucker for gimmicky stuff.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2426 on: January 25, 2023, 05:38:31 AM »
i don't get it.
i don't see a function in these grippers, i only see those as making way for cracks
just like a splitter when you're chopping wood

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2427 on: January 25, 2023, 08:09:49 AM »
Which cupsole has the widest/highest toe area without heel slip? I went down half a size on #420 with no heel slip. However, both my pinky toes are mashed, the toe to the left of the left big toe is swollen, and the center toe on my right foot is almost as bad. The heel slip is bad if I go TTS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve tried using thinner, Stance socks, but it doesn’t help by much. My toes aren’t as swollen but they’re more irritated from the rubbing between the socks and toe area.

Edit (TLDR):
Any recommendations (preferably cupsole) for someone with fat toes but a narrow heel/back foot?

You might like the Adidas Pro Model, someone dropped off their lightly used pair at my local and I've been liking them. I laced them up all the way to get great ankle protection and they don't seem to have any heel slippage from that, and of course the shell toes gives you lots of room up front

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2428 on: January 25, 2023, 09:24:04 AM »

I think MOB is trash, not sure if it's just recently but it's awful gripping a board with it and always get persistent air bubbles.

Jessup Ultra is my go-to now and it's just perfect.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2429 on: January 25, 2023, 04:20:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think MOB is trash, not sure if it's just recently but it's awful gripping a board with it and always get persistent air bubbles.

Jessup Ultra is my go-to now and it's just perfect.

Once a year I grip a board with Mob and for a week I’m constantly pressing it back down. Then I rip that shit off in one pull and regrip with Jessup.