Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 205713 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2490 on: February 01, 2023, 03:51:33 AM »
Saw an ankle surgeon years ago that hated all shoes with built up heels/air bubbles/gels and foams whatever. Basically they might be ok for walking or running but anytime your foot is going sideways (like 99% of the time youre skateboarding) it just increases the chance of your ankle turning over. Now this was an older guy and it was also about 16 years ago now so maybe it's completely out of date way of thinking but they did help me recover without needing surgery.
So more important than cup vs vulc is your foot not wiggling around inside the shoe and your ankle being at a natural angle. Altho unfortunately every shoe is going to have a downside so you get it snug but you might get issues with your toes, get it low and no cushion  etc etc

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2491 on: February 01, 2023, 01:48:11 PM »
what makes a thin cupsole preferable to a thick vulc shoe?

I don’t know but I tried the AVE pros and they were comfortable and light but for skating I couldn’t get used to them just like other cupsoles

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2492 on: February 01, 2023, 03:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t know but I tried the AVE pros and they were comfortable and light but for skating I couldn’t get used to them just like other cupsoles
The Ave skates amazing for me, I love them.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2493 on: February 01, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Same here, big fan of 'em

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #2494 on: February 01, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
As someone that has only skated thinner cupsoles for the last few years, the difference is mostly in my head. It makes me feel more secure knowing I'm skating a cupsole even if it's barely different from skating a thicker vulc. Makes a difference at least for me!

switchfakie

« Reply #2495 on: February 01, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »

ive never heard of 'thin' being used as a buzzword for a cupsole shoe before (as with thick vulc)

you have any examples of this? ive always wanted a thinner cupsole just because i like the way cupsoles look when stitched around the top

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #2496 on: February 01, 2023, 05:52:43 PM »
That’s pretty much the whole selling point if the BB 440

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #2497 on: February 01, 2023, 08:38:47 PM »

You're asking what type of material is used to make a thin cupsole? or shoe brands that has a thin cupsole?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2498 on: February 01, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
For me the cup still has an actual midsole and the rear of the shoe protects my heel. It will keep its shape better over time as well. A 440 is thin but I can slam my heel into the ground full force and be fine but a Half Cab with Pop Cush can bottom out after a while. A 440 with Superfeet insole leaves me less sore than a Half Cab or even Crockett. With that said the Crocketts still had mediocre heels for a cup. Oh, and less in the front which some people like the flick of.

badger.

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2499 on: February 01, 2023, 11:51:28 PM »
Thanks heaps, scab and Mean Salto! Good to hear that the type and cut of shoe is really less significant a factor than I'd thought it might be - will just go for comfort and getting a good fit with the shoes, but keep focusing more on the rehab.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2500 on: February 02, 2023, 01:09:17 AM »
Just got a Caballero Street Dragon reissue and i plan on using film trucks on it.
The board is drilled old school and trucks with 4 holes won't work unless i redrill board OR baseplates (Film trucks don't have those 6 holes baseplates they had back in the days).
I think it's easier to redrill the board rather than the baseplates (and 6 holes baseplates are weaker).
i'll use an indy 6 holes baseplate as a template (mounted on the board, it will guide where the holes should be).
I'm not too worried the board would be weaker with 6 holes but let me know if it's a bad idea
Any advice pals ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:35:22 AM by BALARGUE »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #2501 on: February 02, 2023, 04:21:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yup. My favorite shoe.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #2502 on: February 02, 2023, 04:23:34 AM »
Just got a Caballero Street Dragon reissue and i plan on using film trucks on it.
The board is drilled old school and trucks with 4 holes won't work unless i redrill board OR baseplates (Film trucks don't have those 6 holes baseplates they had back in the days).
I think it's easier to redrill the board rather than the baseplates (and 6 holes baseplates are weaker).
i'll use an indy 6 holes baseplate as a template (mounted on the board, it will guide where the holes should be).
I'm not too worried the board would be weaker with 6 holes but let me know if it's a bad idea
Any advice pals ?

Plenty of boards come this way. I'm sure that there's some small way in which the board is now weaker for having extra holes, but there's no way this is going to matter in the life of a skateboard.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #2503 on: February 02, 2023, 06:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Yup. My favorite shoe.

Really is a great shoe. I think I stopped skating then after a few pairs because I never loved the look. Better than what I use now tho

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 756
« Reply #2504 on: February 02, 2023, 09:04:53 AM »
Any advice pals ?

Go for it. People re-drill truck holes all the time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2505 on: February 02, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
Any advice pals ?

I think as you have it and others have said, that is the best and easiest way to ensure you get the right position for the truck holes.

Just go slow and steady drilling and make sure the drill is going in straight and you shouldn't have any issues.

Before you do drill though, now would be the perfect time to check the wheelbase, kicks or see if you want to drill the holes in or out on either truck position, if you get what I am saying?

Some of those boards had such long wheelbases, or for others, not long enough, depending on your perspective, but the simplest solution would be using the existing holes and drilling in the new holes for the regular baseplate position.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2506 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Any advice pals ?
[close]

I think as you have it and others have said, that is the best and easiest way to ensure you get the right position for the truck holes.

Just go slow and steady drilling and make sure the drill is going in straight and you shouldn't have any issues.

Before you do drill though, now would be the perfect time to check the wheelbase, kicks or see if you want to drill the holes in or out on either truck position, if you get what I am saying?

Some of those boards had such long wheelbases, or for others, not long enough, depending on your perspective, but the simplest solution would be using the existing holes and drilling in the new holes for the regular baseplate position.

I recommend filling the unused holes with wood glue or epoxy.
Prevents the 3/8" space between the holes rip through.
Somewhere on slap I posted a picture where this happened to a deck I've redrilled.

Edit: Found it.
WBSB Thread Post 459

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2507 on: February 03, 2023, 03:11:04 AM »
Thanks guys
went for the drilling and it looks fine. i'm not concerned about it making the board weaker. it's not like this board will see huge impacts and the board is quite thick
A quick tip i read somewhere, put some tape where the drill will exit to avoid chips.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2508 on: February 05, 2023, 04:11:23 PM »
dap plastic wood is supposed to dry 3x stronger than pine
dont know how that scales to maple, im no wood watcher
but sounds like a safe bet for basically $10
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

my bad cuh

« Reply #2509 on: February 06, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
no way in hell this board is 8.6x14.5
has to be a mistake right? if not i gotta do some research
https://bakerskateboards.com/products/brand-logo-4?variant=39322286784615

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2510 on: February 06, 2023, 10:33:26 AM »

It probably is the wheelbase length.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2511 on: February 06, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I think they were the same dimensions as the 8.5 only a touch wider, so 8.6 x 32 with 14.5 wheelbase.

There is another shorter Bakerboys Dist shape which comes in about 8.6 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb but I have only seen one of those and it might have been a special edition more than anything else.

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #2512 on: February 06, 2023, 03:29:45 PM »
8.6 x 14.5 would make a good wall hanger

my bad cuh

« Reply #2513 on: February 06, 2023, 05:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, I think they were the same dimensions as the 8.5 only a touch wider, so 8.6 x 32 with 14.5 wheelbase.

There is another shorter Bakerboys Dist shape which comes in about 8.6 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb but I have only seen one of those and it might have been a special edition more than anything else.
was it ever discussed what size board kader was riding when he was younger? 8.6 maybe seems like it may have been a little skinny for him but super short and wide with the tiny wheelbase seems very 2016-2019 kader esque, maybe could have been like a special shape for him?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2514 on: February 06, 2023, 05:40:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
was it ever discussed what size board kader was riding when he was younger? 8.6 maybe seems like it may have been a little skinny for him but super short and wide with the tiny wheelbase seems very 2016-2019 kader esque, maybe could have been like a special shape for him?
kader ran the 9/32 board with a 14wb drilled for him
jake hayes rides a deathwish 8.6 with a 14.25wb so probably him
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2515 on: February 07, 2023, 03:15:50 PM »
What shoes are better cons or last resort. Was ask in the last resort thread but I want a unbiased opinion

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2516 on: February 07, 2023, 03:31:17 PM »
What shoes are better cons or last resort. Was ask in the last resort thread but I want a unbiased opinion

I had the louie lopez cons and I liked them a lot. I also have a couple pairs of LRAB and I like them too.

Aquatic Dinosaur

« Reply #2517 on: February 08, 2023, 05:09:38 PM »
I used to ride boards backwards as a little kid, felt like trying it out again.  Besides the nose and tail being different lengths, is there anything asymmetric about a popsicle deck that might have an effect if you flip it around and ride the nose as the tail?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2518 on: February 08, 2023, 05:57:14 PM »
I used to ride boards backwards as a little kid, felt like trying it out again.  Besides the nose and tail being different lengths, is there anything asymmetric about a popsicle deck that might have an effect if you flip it around and ride the nose as the tail?

Nose on most woodshops is a little steeper, tail a little less, so some people find things work better off the nose, others off the tail.

Besides the shape and usual almost or around 7" nose and more like 6.5" tail, noses can also sometimes be way more full and rounded compared to tails, so a pointy tail board might be a very different flick point than the big round nose on the same board, if you were riding it backwards.

More than anything, it is down to the individual board, as well as the individual person, but give it a go and see how it works.

Was it Ryan Decenzo that always rides boards backwards for everything - look him up and see how well he skates it backwards, just as an example.

For others, OCD or just feeling wrong have a lot to do with it, but I like pop shovs off the nose more than the tail and everything else the normal way round.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2519 on: February 08, 2023, 07:41:32 PM »

I used to only be able to do kickflips when popping off my nose, the steepness of the nose helped me get a lot of height on them at the expense of control. Very high but rocket flips and I had to flick off a lot harder than if I'd pp off my tail like normal.

Some pros rise off their nose when doing switch tricks, maybe it emulates the board feel of Nollie tricks but switch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m