Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216436 times)

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2520 on: February 08, 2023, 08:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to ride boards backwards as a little kid, felt like trying it out again.  Besides the nose and tail being different lengths, is there anything asymmetric about a popsicle deck that might have an effect if you flip it around and ride the nose as the tail?
[close]

I used to only be able to do kickflips when popping off my nose, the steepness of the nose helped me get a lot of height on them at the expense of control. Very high but rocket flips and I had to flick off a lot harder than if I'd pp off my tail like normal.

Some pros rise off their nose when doing switch tricks, maybe it emulates the board feel of Nollie tricks but switch.

That’s a possibility now that you mention it, I never thought about that.  I always had a loftier switch Ollie going off the nose and I think a lot of people that skate switch a lot have that.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2521 on: February 08, 2023, 08:54:47 PM »
Used to do the backwards board a bit. I think maybe I thought the big kick was supposed to be at the back like an 80s board and looking down it looked more correct to me than having the big round end at the front and the little pointy end at the back. I think I found it harder to get good scoop on 180 and 360 tricks. I did find it way easier to manual on the tail tho and if I was going to do a nosegrind/nosemanuals I'd ride the board backwards

pops

• Rep: 256
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2522 on: February 08, 2023, 09:16:25 PM »
How do the Emerica Ksl g6 fit compared to gammas? I really like how the gammas fit an feel and would like to cop a pair of ksl as well.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2523 on: February 09, 2023, 01:49:12 AM »
When do you guys change out your bushings? I've been using cracked stock Venture bushings for months, swapping them between the 5.6 / 5.8, medium tightness with no threads showing. Only recently do I feel them getting too twitchy to the point I'm ghost popping on a lot of tricks, had to tighten the kingpin buy 1/2 a rotation just to feel stable.

Am I overthinking a sub-optimal session? The bushings haven't disintegrated completely nor are they missing chunks but I see visible cracks on the top and bottom ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #2524 on: February 09, 2023, 02:39:45 AM »
When do you guys change out your bushings? I've been using cracked stock Venture bushings for months, swapping them between the 5.6 / 5.8, medium tightness with no threads showing. Only recently do I feel them getting too twitchy to the point I'm ghost popping on a lot of tricks, had to tighten the kingpin buy 1/2 a rotation just to feel stable.

Am I overthinking a sub-optimal session? The bushings haven't disintegrated completely nor are they missing chunks but I see visible cracks on the top and bottom ones.

If they're not missing chunks and you just see cracks I think they're still okay for a bit. But a swap is definitely valid, especially if its affecting your skating

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2525 on: February 09, 2023, 03:11:57 AM »
Has anyone used bones race reds in here? Curious if they make your board sound dead like when using regular spacers. I like the idea of not having to deal with washers when swapping wheels.

I use them for that reason. Keep them loose like you would when using regular bearings and they sound the same. Tighten them so there’s no movement and you’ll be stealthy and lose that sweet screeching sound synonymous with skating.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #2526 on: February 09, 2023, 09:06:50 AM »
I got a sponsored set of Bones Stf 99A V4 Wide 53mm.
I ride spitfire exclusively, I prefer radials. 99A.
They are still in shrink and now I wonder if I should sell them or ride them. How are they compared to spits radials ? Thanks.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #2527 on: February 09, 2023, 12:13:27 PM »
They are still in shrink and now I wonder if I should sell them or ride them. How are they compared to spits radials ? Thanks.

Sell them. Bones 99a sucks. The new 97, and the 103 are great, don't get me wrong, BUT THE 99 SUCK.

They're the anti-dragons: They ride like a hard wheel, while sticking like a soft wheel.

manysnakes

« Reply #2528 on: February 09, 2023, 01:09:24 PM »
What shoes are better cons or last resort. Was ask in the last resort thread but I want a unbiased opinion

I had both, prefer neither, but Cons by a mile.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2529 on: February 09, 2023, 01:09:57 PM »
Just read about running shoes having a shelf life. Looking at my stack of shoe boxes...
Do skate shoes go bad?

vicious cycle

« Reply #2530 on: February 09, 2023, 02:18:59 PM »
Just read about running shoes having a shelf life. Looking at my stack of shoe boxes...
Do skate shoes go bad?
If running shoes go bad, I'm pretty sure skate shoes do too. But I think stored correctly in a box and without to much heat/cold they will last longer than I will be able to skate.

vicious cycle

« Reply #2531 on: February 09, 2023, 02:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sell them. Bones 99a sucks. The new 97, and the 103 are great, don't get me wrong, BUT THE 99 SUCK.

They're the anti-dragons: They ride like a hard wheel, while sticking like a soft wheel.
So they would be great for indoor wood parks then maybe ? My winter indoor is super slick..

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2532 on: February 09, 2023, 06:24:11 PM »
do the g6 insoles have good forefoot cushioning?
preface: im tall/heavy and want more impact dampening
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2533 on: February 09, 2023, 07:40:45 PM »
do the g6 insoles have good forefoot cushioning?
preface: im tall/heavy and want more impact dampening

They were a bit on the thicker side right through when I compared them to others that go from higher heel to thinner toe, with some other people I skate with swearing by them in every shoe, but they didn't feel particularly spongy overall, maybe more so because the Emerica shoes had such thin soles when I tried on shoes with them in there.

If you can go anywhere that has any of the shoes just to see them, I think you might find them to your liking and I know you can buy the insoles as a stand alone product.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2534 on: February 09, 2023, 09:28:34 PM »
If you park in the kicks do they spring back after at all? Asking for a friend that might have overdone it and now has an extremely flat deck.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2535 on: February 09, 2023, 11:20:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Do skate shoes go bad?
[close]
If running shoes go bad, I'm pretty sure skate shoes do too. But I think stored correctly in a box and without to much heat/cold they will last longer than I will be able to skate.
I checked recently on some DC's I've got (Mike mo, Cole lites) and some other random stuff I've got all about 10-12 years old and seems to still be ok. I think it's really just the foam midsoles you need to worry about unless they're shoes you've worn for a bit then for whatever reason put away. I've had this happen with vulc and the soles turn into hard plastic but unworn stay good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 11:36:00 PM by Mean salto »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2536 on: February 09, 2023, 11:29:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Do skate shoes go bad?
[close]
It’s called hydrolysis. Wearing them actually prevents this from happening

Related article:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/sneaker-soles-crumbling-trend/
fuck you bama

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #2537 on: February 10, 2023, 07:02:20 AM »
I always notice in the shoes you are wearing thread everyone seems to keep their laces pretty loose. I have a narrow foot so my laces are always a bit tighter looking than what I usually see ( not Rambo laced by any means).My question is this: Is there an advantage performance wise to skating in a shoe with the laces that loose or are you guys tying them a little tighter when you get around to skating them?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #2538 on: February 10, 2023, 07:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do skate shoes go bad?
[close]
[close]

Related article:

I bought a couple pair of 2007-2010 era skate shoes and they feel apart.

DGK RBK and some lakai mariano's.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2539 on: February 10, 2023, 07:54:13 AM »

Do you remember?

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2540 on: February 10, 2023, 09:50:58 AM »
Anyone have Dooks (the 1/16) silencers?
How are they? I'm thinking I might cop as the ground near mine is rough as fuck and I want something to make the ride rattle my teeth less

vicious cycle

« Reply #2541 on: February 10, 2023, 10:08:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do skate shoes go bad?
[close]
[close]

Related article:

Interesting. If I would be a reseller sitting on my dunks I would be very nervous now..

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #2542 on: February 10, 2023, 11:37:22 AM »
How are they? I'm thinking I might cop as the ground near mine is rough as fuck and I want something to make the ride rattle my teeth less

I ran a set. I didn't notice the difference. They definitely got smushed and began falling apart. Being an idiot, I loosened my bolts thinking it would make a difference and it messed up my baseplates and skating was off.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2543 on: February 10, 2023, 04:36:23 PM »
If you park in the kicks do they spring back after at all? Asking for a friend that might have overdone it and now has an extremely flat deck.

Yes they come back a lot in 24-48 hours, some boards a lot more than others.

At first I was horrified that I had ruined a board after leaving it for too long, but it came back nicely - sort of gave up on it and left it for a week, but when I set it up, it felt really good.

Even just standing on them sometimes will not get a true representation of how it will feel once you put trucks on, but if it feels too mellow, try Ventures and it might feel a lot better - based on you saying you had Ventures, that is, but I can't remember the details right this minute and didn't go looking at your history.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #2544 on: February 11, 2023, 06:25:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ran a set. I didn't notice the difference. They definitely got smushed and began falling apart. Being an idiot, I loosened my bolts thinking it would make a difference and it messed up my baseplates and skating was off.

They mainly exist to keep hardware from rattling loose. I’ve found them helpful to get about a millimeter of lift to get forged baseplates closer to cast height and feel less tin-y. No impact absorption whatsoever.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2545 on: February 11, 2023, 07:38:02 AM »
I always notice in the shoes you are wearing thread everyone seems to keep their laces pretty loose. I have a narrow foot so my laces are always a bit tighter looking than what I usually see ( not Rambo laced by any means).My question is this: Is there an advantage performance wise to skating in a shoe with the laces that loose or are you guys tying them a little tighter when you get around to skating them?

I tighten my laces a lot for skating to prevent my foot from jiggling around. A secure fit is definitely better for performance, but loose laces look much better imo, so I keep 'em loose whenever I'm not skating.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2546 on: February 11, 2023, 04:51:12 PM »

I've found that my kickflips work much better with flexible shoes, and not lacing them tight gives a bit more flex to any shoe.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2547 on: February 11, 2023, 04:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tighten my laces a lot for skating to prevent my foot from jiggling around. A secure fit is definitely better for performance, but loose laces look much better imo, so I keep 'em loose whenever I'm not skating.

I have very flat feet, so for most shoes I need to put an extra tongue in under what is in there, almost always a Half Cab tongue as I had a lot of Half Cabs over the years (but never needed to beef them up at all) so once I have done this, it looks more normal and not at all puffy or blown out.  Without the extra tongue, usually the sides of the laces area would almost be overlapping with a ton of spare shoe lace and look pretty funny, to say the least.

People used to do this to all shoes and big thick puffy tongues were the only way to go mid 2000s or so, almost too much but I am not here to talk about various fashion styles.

The weird thing is a lot of others I know almost have the opposite problem, where their feet are so tall and thick that they always have what looks like loose laces, when in fact they are almost too tight on their feet when laced up like mine so have to wear them with a lot more lace across, giving that look you mention.

That is not to say that when not skating (or even some while skating too), people don't loosen up their laces, like my Half Cabs are almost like slip ons when I am not skating, but different feet can give a very different look too.

I also add a thin extra insole sometimes too, the kind of thin flat foam thing from a $2 store or department store, which also helps my foot fit in some shoes better, so that might work too.  I put it under everything else, but you can put it on top easily enough too.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2548 on: February 11, 2023, 05:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They mainly exist to keep hardware from rattling loose. I’ve found them helpful to get about a millimeter of lift to get forged baseplates closer to cast height and feel less tin-y. No impact absorption whatsoever.

Thanks for the input troops

I guess that leads me to a new question: I want to reduce my board vibrating like fuck whenever I ride places- would shock pads even help with this? Or should I just put up with the vibration. I've always assumed shock pads and risers are a noob trap (unless you're riding wheels bigger than 53 mm)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2549 on: February 11, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the input troops

I guess that leads me to a new question: I want to reduce my board vibrating like fuck whenever I ride places- would shock pads even help with this? Or should I just put up with the vibration. I've always assumed shock pads and risers are a noob trap (unless you're riding wheels bigger than 53 mm)

A lot of people cut up a bike tube (or any other thin rubber sheet scrap) to fit under the trucks and it works well, minimum height addition, maybe 1mm tops, which generally speaking does the job and reduces vibration of the hard metal of the baseplate on the wood.

It is not hard to do, easy to cut up and will fit with almost any bolts too.

An option anyway, but buying a set of those pre made thin rubber pads is easier for some people too.