Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224382 times)

metsuri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11850 on: February 20, 2023, 12:21:28 AM »
I've got a truck dilemma: last summer I bought a new complete, old school shape with wider Thunders. Over time, the board got warped. I recently got a new deck but the trucks are still fucked, most likely because of the warped deck. They're crooked and turn more to one side. I switched out new bushings and that helped a bit but the problem's still there. These trucks are still kind of new, that's why this is surprising to me.

What do I have to do, switch out pivot cups? I can't recall ever doing that in my over 30 yers of skating :-D
Thanks for any tips.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #11851 on: February 20, 2023, 01:13:15 AM »
if the old ones are shit just use your hanger, the axel w/o a nut is great for that. it will fuck up good cups though most times. if you want to get good cups out w/o fucking them up, compressed air will blow them out or needle nose inside the cups and then spread wide and pulled works.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11852 on: February 20, 2023, 01:25:35 AM »
if the old ones are shit just use your hanger, the axel w/o a nut is great for that. it will fuck up good cups though most times. if you want to get good cups out w/o fucking them up, compressed air will blow them out or needle nose inside the cups and then spread wide and pulled works.

Thanks, I think I was a bit unclear: I meant that do I have to switch out pivot cups to get rid of this problem, or is there something else that would help?

Bu thank you for the practical tip, I hadn't thought that far ahead yet :-D

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #11853 on: February 20, 2023, 01:43:43 AM »
ha, it's bedtime here. yeah all that's left is pivots, pivots are usually the culprit. you might have noticed shit pivots though when you were swapping bushings?

could even be bent hangers? that would be pretty rare.

IpathCats

« Reply #11854 on: February 20, 2023, 05:22:04 AM »
I've got a truck dilemma: last summer I bought a new complete, old school shape with wider Thunders. Over time, the board got warped. I recently got a new deck but the trucks are still fucked, most likely because of the warped deck. They're crooked and turn more to one side. I switched out new bushings and that helped a bit but the problem's still there. These trucks are still kind of new, that's why this is surprising to me.

What do I have to do, switch out pivot cups? I can't recall ever doing that in my over 30 yers of skating :-D
Thanks for any tips.

Your weight/truck tightness could play a role in this too.

If you are heavier and your bushings are too soft for your weight you may be compressing them much more on your dominant side, causing them to lean that way.

I've also seen this happen to people that don't put all four hardware bolts in each truck.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11855 on: February 20, 2023, 06:22:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks for any tips.
[close]

If you are heavier and your bushings are too soft for your weight you may be compressing them much more on your dominant side, causing them to lean that way.

I've also seen this happen to people that don't put all four hardware bolts in each truck.

I'm kind of light, about 67 kg, and I have all bolts in. I've heard that can happen with less bolts.

I think I'm going to change the pivot cups and see if that has an effect.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #11856 on: February 20, 2023, 06:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for any tips.
[close]

[close]

I'm kind of light, about 67 kg, and I have all bolts in. I've heard that can happen with less bolts.

Yeah that’ll do it.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11857 on: February 20, 2023, 02:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for any tips.
[close]

[close]

Do you need the trucks looser, or does everything feel too stiff?

Using wax to touch up the hanger nub and even running a bit of wax over the connecting surfaces of the bushings make everything way more manouverable, almost too much for some people, but it does work without having to change out anything.

I had done this a lot with old setups people brought in and it is amazing how much more the trucks react and turn, compared to when they had been stuck or sitting for a long time and not really responding when you lean from one side to the other.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11858 on: February 20, 2023, 11:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for any tips.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Using wax to touch up the hanger nub and even running a bit of wax over the connecting surfaces of the bushings make everything way more manouverable, almost too much for some people, but it does work without having to change out anything.

I had done this a lot with old setups people brought in and it is amazing how much more the trucks react and turn, compared to when they had been stuck or sitting for a long time and not really responding when you lean from one side to the other.

I'm kind of in between, but more on the loose side.

I've never tried this before, but I'll definitely give it a go. Way more accessible than trying to find Thunder pivot cups :-D

Thanks for all the tips!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11859 on: March 04, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for any tips.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm kind of in between, but more on the loose side.

I've never tried this before, but I'll definitely give it a go. Way more accessible than trying to find Thunder pivot cups :-D

Thanks for all the tips!

How did that turn out for you?

Any good, bad or otherwise indifferent results?

I did the old wax and restore job to a few boards this week just gone and it was such a difference from how they were to how they are now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11860 on: March 06, 2023, 11:05:39 AM »
Do you guys feel like there is a certain truck that is more ideal for certain Width's ?
I have built up something in my mind like this;
7.5 - 8" Venture
8.25"-8.5" Thunder
8.5"-8.75" Ace
8.75"+ Indy

I dont know why but this seems to make the most sense in my mind. I dont think I like low trucks at all either, but I have to try them before I say for sure. I also havent skated Thunders in probably close to 20 years so I don't even really know what they are like other than trying a few people's boards here and there.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #11861 on: March 06, 2023, 11:14:29 AM »
Do you guys feel like there is a certain truck that is more ideal for certain Width's ?
I have built up something in my mind like this;
7.5 - 8" Venture
8.25"-8.5" Thunder
8.5"-8.75" Ace
8.75"+ Indy

I dont know why but this seems to make the most sense in my mind. I dont think I like low trucks at all either, but I have to try them before I say for sure. I also havent skated Thunders in probably close to 20 years so I don't even really know what they are like other than trying a few people's boards here and there.

Thunder on 8-8.375"  - because I'm trying to flip these
Indy 8.5-9" - because it's more of an all around board
Ace 9+ - because it's probably a bowl board and I need to reign in a long wheelbase.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11862 on: March 06, 2023, 11:15:52 AM »
those all make sense ^

i prefer the Ace over the Indy's I suppose just cause they are a tiny bit lower for the "all around board" and indys more for the bowl barney board. thunder and venture seem fiarly interchangeable as well.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #11863 on: March 07, 2023, 08:08:57 PM »
Woah! Krux TM and riders tell you why Ace and Thunder are actually better... Shame they didn't get deeper into each trucks pros and cons but still a somewhat interesting video confirming what I already know. I'd rate Stage 4s No3 personally...

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #11864 on: March 07, 2023, 09:11:08 PM »
Woah! Krux TM and riders tell you why Ace and Thunder are actually better... Shame they didn't get deeper into each trucks pros and cons but still a somewhat interesting video confirming what I already know. I'd rate Stage 4s No3 personally...

Haha holy shit

I refuse to believe that this got approved by someone higher up at NHS because it's telling viewers that non NHS trucks are better than NHS trucks and that their own old design (Krux K4) is total shit.

Vanessa at 25:20

...if I wasn't riding Krux, I would probably ride Ace.

How to get kicked off the team 101 :v

For anyone wondering, I only skimmed the video and kinda just skipped to the end, but it's basically them just turning and pushing around the park so don't expect anything super technical.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #11865 on: March 07, 2023, 11:16:29 PM »
I appreciate the honesty but what the hell was their goal in saying, "yeah our truck are OK but these other ones are way better....?"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11866 on: March 08, 2023, 01:15:31 AM »
I appreciate the honesty but what the hell was their goal in saying, "yeah our truck are OK but these other ones are way better....?"

Their entire brand identity has been self-deprecating B-tier truck brand
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #11867 on: March 08, 2023, 09:11:16 AM »
Maybe they are getting ready for a K6 redesign and are taking an honest look at everyone else's trucks and figuring out what they like / dislike about them.   

But ya, do that internally and don't post it to the internet that your riders like Thunder and Ace better than the truck they are paid to ride.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #11868 on: March 08, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
I really wish someone would turn down the mics of people who are not on camera.

Also I've said it a dozen times but Krux should just do something like a modified Independent Stage 8. It's all the same company, it would seem to me to be a simple matter and then Krux could A) have a truck design which turns, B) be able to market a truck to the niche of dorks who want this truck reproduced.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #11869 on: March 08, 2023, 09:40:29 AM »
I’m interested in watching this, i think they are just offering honest information.  With trucks, so much of its preference and sometimes your first impressions aren’t fully complete.  I can make a pretty solid case on any of the major truck brands…..Krux isn’t one of them but I don’t fully discount them either…..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #11870 on: March 08, 2023, 01:31:58 PM »
They really just published an ad for every truck except krux? Perfect
Also fuck vanessa for screaming into the mic all the time.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #11871 on: March 08, 2023, 01:34:24 PM »

The screaming was awful and they didn't mix it down at all.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #11872 on: March 08, 2023, 01:43:01 PM »
Probably why it ended up on Alex's own YT and not Krux or NHS

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #11873 on: March 08, 2023, 06:12:31 PM »

Is Alex team manager or responsible for marketing? I remember a few years ago tweeting about not knowing what to do for the brand’s social media and it bummed me out.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #11874 on: March 08, 2023, 06:22:39 PM »
I really wish someone would turn down the mics of people who are not on camera.

Also I've said it a dozen times but Krux should just do something like a modified Independent Stage 8. It's all the same company, it would seem to me to be a simple matter and then Krux could A) have a truck design which turns, B) be able to market a truck to the niche of dorks who want this truck reproduced.

This is such a dope idea.
Just knock off the old geo, throw the dumb hole in the hanger, a sly wink and nudge, and keep it pushing.
I really like who they hook up. Kristin is sick.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #11875 on: March 08, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is Alex team manager or responsible for marketing? I remember a few years ago tweeting about not knowing what to do for the brand’s social media and it bummed me out.

Brand manager

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #11876 on: March 14, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »
anyone ever done anything totally insane like ride a 159 on the back and a 144 up front?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #11877 on: March 14, 2023, 01:12:27 PM »
anyone ever done anything totally insane like ride a 159 on the back and a 144 up front?

Not that, but today I went out skating with a single setup with one venture truck and one ace truck (real 8.25 twin tail).
I wanted to know which baseplate slides the best on certain ledges. Ace won, and I actually got my best fs noseslides and bs tailslides so far.
Venture pop was a lot nicer though, so it was kind of perfect. A nice venture pop into a nice ace slide.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11878 on: March 14, 2023, 05:07:12 PM »

Seriously, stop yelling ffs.

That’s a really weird video I mean stage 11s being super stable and hefty and durable…they’re switching their messaging if you look closely between stage 4 and stage 11, they’re using the durability and heft as a pro now for stage 11s instead of turn since stage 4 turn better…because they have to have some differentiating factor between them…

So, Ace and Thunder, can’t say I disagree.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #11879 on: March 14, 2023, 05:24:08 PM »

Rockstar Energy Mayhem Fest 7.75
Navigator 8" (front) + Indy 215 (back)
Ricta Crystals 45mm 101a(front) + OJ Little Doodies (back)
Bones Reds
Paradox grip