Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224505 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11880 on: March 14, 2023, 07:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone ever done anything totally insane like ride a 159 on the back and a 144 up front?
[close]
Expand Quote

Rockstar Energy Mayhem Fest 7.75
Navigator 8" (front) + Indy 215 (back)
Ricta Crystals 45mm 101a(front) + OJ Little Doodies (back)
Bones Reds
Paradox grip
[close]

That's fucken perverted
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11881 on: March 15, 2023, 02:52:48 AM »
anyone ever done anything totally insane like ride a 159 on the back and a 144 up front?

Okay this is a few years ago. Homie of me went to Titus, asked for new trucks and left the store in under 10 minutes. He came to the park super stoked on his new trucks. I was thinking, something looks weird. He had 149s in the front and 159s in the back. His Bs Flips were sick but yeah. ^^ Kinda weird, that skateshop employees sell two different sizes or don't know about those things.
IG: @flowterspace

Chronic85

« Reply #11882 on: March 15, 2023, 03:18:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Okay this is a few years ago. Homie of me went to Titus, asked for new trucks and left the store in under 10 minutes. He came to the park super stoked on his new trucks. I was thinking, something looks weird. He had 149s in the front and 159s in the back. His Bs Flips were sick but yeah. ^^ Kinda weird, that skateshop employees sell two different sizes or don't know about those things.

That's pretty standard for Titus. You can be really happy if they have two trucks the same size at all instore and you find an employee there who knows what trucks are.
Friend of mine wanted to buy Swiss Ceramics in their "hOuSe Of SkAteBoArDiNg" in Münster and they only got 7 bearings in the package. At least they offered him a "good price" :D
Worst cash grab clown shop totally disconnected from todays skateboarding scene (in Germany at least).

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11883 on: March 15, 2023, 07:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's pretty standard for Titus. You can be really happy if they have two trucks the same size at all instore and you find an employee there who knows what trucks are.
Friend of mine wanted to buy Swiss Ceramics in their "hOuSe Of SkAteBoArDiNg" in Münster and they only got 7 bearings in the package. At least they offered him a "good price" :D
Worst cash grab clown shop totally disconnected from todays skateboarding scene (in Germany at least).

I have seen a few shops here in AU who didn't check their truck sizes, be it either for a kid in store who skated them anyway, or for online orders I had received over the years, more so a while ago and none in the last few years, but it did happen all too easily for some people in some places, most commonly Indy standard 144 and 149s.

You would think now that most big brands actually have the truck size number clearly shown on the hanger or other part of the truck, it can be foolproof, but there is always someone who doesn't even know trucks come in different sizes.

When I finished up at another shop that I used to work in the skate hardgoods department, the person in charge couldn't even grip a board, so yes things are changing for the worse in some places, but I feel like the smaller core skate shops are the ones who are really going to service people well, for the most part anyway.

There are always exceptions.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #11884 on: March 16, 2023, 01:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

titus sucks, but those statements make me think you've been at one once and now overdramatize that incident and your impressions to dunk on it. fair enough, but there's plenty of "ok" titus stores, too. always depends on the city.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #11885 on: March 16, 2023, 07:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

titus sucks, but those statements make me think you've been at one once and now overdramatize that incident and your impressions to dunk on it. fair enough, but there's plenty of "ok" titus stores, too. always depends on the city.

How old is Titus?
I have some vague memory from probably a 411 from the mid to late 90s, of a tall, bald-headed, maybe 40-50 year old guy.  It sure if that was THE Titus. That and the Ramps from the ‘euro’ contests with Titus on them.
Skateboarding has some characters.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11886 on: March 16, 2023, 08:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How old is Titus?
I have some vague memory from probably a 411 from the mid to late 90s, of a tall, bald-headed, maybe 40-50 year old guy.  It sure if that was THE Titus. That and the Ramps from the ‘euro’ contests with Titus on them.

From their site (down the bottom):

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/

TITUS – Your skateshop for over 45 years!
Skateboarding- everything for you in one place!
Skateboards, longboards, streetwear and skate shoes - since 1978, Titus has been providing beginners and professionals alike with the best skateboarding products in the business. The Titus name has stood for 100% skateboarding since day one and we’re proud of our heritage in the European skate community. We offer a diverse selection of high-quality products both online and in our shop locations found throughout Germany.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #11887 on: March 16, 2023, 11:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How old is Titus?
[close]

From their site (down the bottom):

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/

TITUS – Your skateshop for over 45 years!
Skateboarding- everything for you in one place!
Skateboards, longboards, streetwear and skate shoes - since 1978, Titus has been providing beginners and professionals alike with the best skateboarding products in the business. The Titus name has stood for 100% skateboarding since day one and we’re proud of our heritage in the European skate community. We offer a diverse selection of high-quality products both online and in our shop locations found throughout Germany.

Titus Eberhard Dittmann (* 8. Dezember 1948)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Chronic85

« Reply #11888 on: March 17, 2023, 12:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Been there several times. Münster, Berlin and Hanover mostly.
The "ok shops" are franchise. That's why they're okay.
But if you write "Home of skateboarding" in capital letters on your main store front and you can barely get a full setup and a Spitfire shirt in there cause you ain't got shit in your shop then im not overdramatizing.
Titus is a relic of old times and they still haven't caught up.
But they still claim to be the driving force behind skateboarding and skateshops in Germany.
And that's just not true.
Even Skatedeluxe has managed to overtake Titus when it comes to keeping up with the times. And that is one horrible onlinecorposhitstore with false, thought up measurements on Decks etc.
So yes.
Titus sucks.

Anways back to topic i guess :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11889 on: March 28, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
Are Ace after market pivots any good?  Do they fit in most trucks?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11890 on: March 28, 2023, 07:05:58 AM »
I went to a shop called TX-Sports in Nurnburg whne I lived there. I thought it was solid enough. Anyone familiar with this shop + their impressions? They had this massive bsaement with like ridiculous amount of clearance shoes which was kinda cool.

Whne I went to Zurich, Switzerland. I went to this shoe store in the upper part of some building that had like ridiculous amounts of throw back shoes... like Osiris, Es, Adio, Emericas, Globe all from early 2000s. this was in 2013. I would try and find it again but it seems like Germany and Switzerland doesnt allow Street View.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #11891 on: March 28, 2023, 06:58:45 PM »

The AF1 cups are better in terms of being more of an actual urethane instead of a flexible plastic like the classic pivot cups. But they claim the same durometer as Riptide for those AF1 cups, and they definitely are more squishy and prone to ripping compared to Riptides. The AF1 aftermarkets are just easier to find at a local as no locals are carrying 'tides.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #11892 on: March 28, 2023, 10:42:42 PM »
Just need to round up an online purchase….thanks….

I actually have a longboard shop near by so riptides are pretty easy to get….

logjammin

« Reply #11893 on: March 29, 2023, 12:18:12 AM »
I'd say you're better off with riptides then. But Ace AF1 are better than your average stock pivot cup, yeah. They fit stage 11 and stage 4 hangers in them good, but not ace classics.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #11894 on: March 30, 2023, 09:15:17 AM »
FWIW I bought some newer Ace AF-1s early last year and the pivot cups and the divot in which they sit have been perfectly fine. No problems whatsoever. The bushings are getting blown out now, but the pivot cup works great.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #11895 on: March 30, 2023, 10:05:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The AF1 cups are better in terms of being more of an actual urethane instead of a flexible plastic like the classic pivot cups. But they claim the same durometer as Riptide for those AF1 cups, and they definitely are more squishy and prone to ripping compared to Riptides. The AF1 aftermarkets are just easier to find at a local as no locals are carrying 'tides.

This shop tested the AF1 bushings at 89 durometer, so less than the 96 claimed - https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/product/ace-af1-pivot-cups/

logjammin

« Reply #11896 on: March 30, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
Oh yeah, that 89d readout sounds about right. Yeah, I will say I haven't had any issues with any recent batches of the aftermarket AF1 cups or the ones that come stock in the trucks of newer revs. But when they first came out I ripped several pairs.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #11897 on: March 30, 2023, 10:35:44 AM »
I just set up some ace classics and the bushings seem to blow out of the washers on both of them. I'm thinking it's just a bad design and want to switch out the bushings. Any recommendations for good bushings in aces?

logjammin

« Reply #11898 on: March 30, 2023, 10:49:53 AM »
It's the washers. The bushings are the best ever. Just switch the washers for ones from different trucks like Indy, it will solve the issue.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11899 on: April 03, 2023, 11:38:40 AM »
Slid through the baseplate on some AF1s, was kinda wary on still skating them so had to dig in the spares box and hack something together (that was still matching atleast) till I get paid. Ended up as AF1 44 hangers on venture baseplates, ace bottoms and venture tops.

I'd expected it to be awful as I've never liked mixing truck components but it actually feels pretty good, just a stabler Ace pretty much.

logjammin

« Reply #11900 on: April 03, 2023, 12:25:42 PM »
Do they still turn like Ace quick and deep or more delay and lean like Venture?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11901 on: April 04, 2023, 12:30:27 AM »
Do they still turn like Ace quick and deep or more delay and lean like Venture?

It's really just a middle ground imo, not as quick and snappy as an Ace turn but not as delayed as a Venture. It does have a nice stable center point though which I never found Ace to have, made some fliptricks slightly easier. Might be a bad comparison as I havent touched them in years but if anything it just makes it a bang average truck akin to Indy's (ie stable in the center but turns when you want it to) as opposed to Ace which is all turn and Venture where you have to kinda force it.

logjammin

« Reply #11902 on: April 04, 2023, 04:33:32 AM »
Right on, at least the combination works and you're happy with it. If it diminishes the Ace turn I'll hold off on trying it.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11903 on: April 04, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »
Friends, Please drop your suggestions and methods for stopping squeaky trucks. Some pivot cup wax did the trick but always seems to be temporary. Any long term solutions aside from getting riptides?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #11904 on: April 04, 2023, 08:55:04 AM »
Friends, Please drop your suggestions and methods for stopping squeaky trucks. Some pivot cup wax did the trick but always seems to be temporary. Any long term solutions aside from getting riptides?

I didn't find that Riptides made my Indys squeak any less.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11905 on: April 04, 2023, 09:21:33 AM »

I have used a few things in between parts, mainly wax now as it is simple and easier to apply and doesn't make a big mess, but as you said, sometimes the squeaking comes back a little too soon.

Others have put a thin coating of bearing lube or sewing machine oil on the hanger pivot nub, or one drop into the pivot cup and squished it in, which seemed to work well enough too.

If you can work out what is doing the squeaking, then it is a bit easier to sort out.  More often than not the pivot cup or pivot point, but also the bushings / washers and sometimes even the washers / kingpin nuts, so a little wax on all contact surfaces and most if not all noise stops.

It can make the trucks feel a bit more loose too, but using a bit more wax on the pivot cup area usually did the trick for most boards I had worked on for people, including my own.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #11906 on: April 04, 2023, 09:50:05 AM »
Slid through the baseplate on some AF1s, was kinda wary on still skating them so had to dig in the spares box and hack something together (that was still matching atleast) till I get paid. Ended up as AF1 44 hangers on venture baseplates, ace bottoms and venture tops.

I'd expected it to be awful as I've never liked mixing truck components but it actually feels pretty good, just a stabler Ace pretty much.

I thought about doing this but with ace low baseplates and hollow Indy hangers.  Don’t wanna somehow ruin two sets of trucks though.  Not sure if getting ruined is even possible but in my mind I’d be worried about it after switching them back.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11907 on: April 04, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »

Small dab of thick synthetic grease on the pivot? I think my Royals came like that and have stayed pretty quiet and silky. Softer pivot cups (Ace, Royal, Riptide) also seem to help with noise as mentioned.

logjammin

« Reply #11908 on: April 04, 2023, 04:06:41 PM »
I recently went out and bought some of that graphite lube powder that some people says works the longest, but I found it to be a total mess and it didn't last long at all. Best and least messy method I've found is clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol when I take apart my trucks, then I use a beeswax-based lip balm and rub it on both sides of bushings and then on the pivot nub of the hanger and mush it into the pivot cup and repeat, then set them back up. Makes turning better and more responsive, too. The squeak won't go away forever but it lasts long enough for the process to be tolerable.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11909 on: April 13, 2023, 04:30:42 PM »