Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220629 times)

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10020 on: April 13, 2021, 06:21:08 PM »
I have No 'hard' soap att home to fix the noise of My trucks. Does wax or liquid soap work?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10021 on: April 13, 2021, 07:43:35 PM »
Wax the pivot itself.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #10022 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:47 PM »
I have No 'hard' soap att home to fix the noise of My trucks. Does wax or liquid soap work?
dish washing liquid works pretty well

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10023 on: April 17, 2021, 07:34:09 PM »
Set up some Krux K5 on an FA 8.375.
Previously went from Venture, to Indys, and then Thunders. Krux have a procrastinated turn. You’ll lean and they won’t turn immediately but once you’re about to wheelbite. I have some Ace bushings that I may swap over if they don’t break in yet.

Update:
Went to wax my pivot cups. They came off with the hangar.
I took them off the hangar and filled the NHS warranty. I still waxed the pivot part on the hangar and it made an astronomical difference. I’m assuming my pivot cups are defective, possibly.
They’re a faster more responsive truck, they feel like something between an Indy and Thunder. Instead of the usual Venture-esque turn.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #10024 on: April 17, 2021, 08:53:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Previously went from Venture, to Indys, and then Thunders. Krux have a procrastinated turn. You’ll lean and they won’t turn immediately but once you’re about to wheelbite. I have some Ace bushings that I may swap over if they don’t break in yet.
[close]

Update:
I took them off the hangar and filled the NHS warranty. I still waxed the pivot part on the hangar and it made an astronomical difference. I’m assuming my pivot cups are defective, possibly.
They’re a faster more responsive truck, they feel like something between an Indy and Thunder. Instead of the usual Venture-esque turn.

I have some k5’s as well and have had that same experience with the sluggish turn. I’ll have to wax my pivots. How are the bushings now? Did you swap them out or are they fully broken in yet? I’ve ran krux bushings in my indys and I loved them, I definitely think they’re one of the best stock bushings

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10025 on: April 17, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Update:
[close]

I have some k5’s as well and have had that same experience with the sluggish turn. I’ll have to wax my pivots. How are the bushings now? Did you swap them out or are they fully broken in yet? I’ve ran krux bushings in my indys and I loved them, I definitely think they’re one of the best stock bushings

It’s all still stock. I’ve been skating them for 13 days.
I ran the trucks flush and had to tighten them more. It does turn so much better. You should definitely try it.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #10026 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »
Weird discovery today, I have 2 set-ups with both 14' WB. My forged 5.2 Hi ventures have a smaller wheelbase than my cast 147 thunders. Anyone notice this as well? I always thought that forged plates extend the WB and that ventures generally have the longest WB when compared to other truck brands that it "should've" been a longer WB than the thunders.

Regardless, I've been loving how ventures feel for noseslides and I find the turn of them to be really good just by running them stock and using a flat top washer. I don't find them to be lacking in turn at all lol (I've ridden thunders religiously and have skated Ace 33's and 44's)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10027 on: April 18, 2021, 07:05:32 PM »
Weird discovery today, I have 2 set-ups with both 14' WB. My forged 5.2 Hi ventures have a smaller wheelbase than my cast 147 thunders. Anyone notice this as well? I always thought that forged plates extend the WB and that ventures generally have the longest WB when compared to other truck brands that it "should've" been a longer WB than the thunders.

Regardless, I've been loving how ventures feel for noseslides and I find the turn of them to be really good just by running them stock and using a flat top washer. I don't find them to be lacking in turn at all lol (I've ridden thunders religiously and have skated Ace 33's and 44's)

Be careful friend-o, you're throwing everything we've ever held true out the window. Going to need a re-measure on that WB. Venture Forged should do +3.4 - 3.5", Thunder Cast should do 3.15".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #10028 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Update:
[close]

[close]

It’s all still stock. I’ve been skating them for 13 days.
I ran the trucks flush and had to tighten them more. It does turn so much better. You should definitely try it.
big fan of the k5s as well, had them about a month, also stock. i liked the old krux too though so ymmv.

i find it funny that the common complaint about krux is the delayed turn. its actually what brought me back to them. to me it feels more like a deadzone and because im generally shit at skating it has saved my ass more than once. im sure someone with abs or whatever would find it annoying but yeah i loved that about the old ones. the new ones feel a lot more responsive though.

also krux grind the best idk why they just do

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10029 on: April 19, 2021, 06:52:17 AM »
I'm currently riding independent conical bushings in thunder 148 and it's absolutely perfect.
Found nothing about people doing that and didn't expect it to work.

sketchyrider

« Reply #10030 on: April 19, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »

should be noted that tightening trucks or changing bushings (or having the bushings compress over time) will make your WB a bit smaller.

The.Tran.Man

« Reply #10031 on: April 19, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Be careful friend-o, you're throwing everything we've ever held true out the window. Going to need a re-measure on that WB. Venture Forged should do +3.4 - 3.5", Thunder Cast should do 3.15".

carpet 8' board and sanded down Girl G023 shape
I didn't take a pic of it but the measurements from axle to axle are listed below:
Thunder ~ 17.5'
Venture - 17'
I'm no expert in measuring stuff, but there's clearly a difference when I line up the axles of the back trucks

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10032 on: April 19, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I didn't take a pic of it but the measurements from axle to axle are listed below:
Thunder ~ 17.5'
Venture - 17'
I'm no expert in measuring stuff, but there's clearly a difference when I line up the axles of the back trucks

that carpet deck is listed as 14.25
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/carpet-company-blank-8-deck-multi_p147623

use tailors tape, if you cant clearly see where the inch starts then the whole thing is off.

dont even bother remeasuring, i wouldnt trust your accuracy based on these pictures alone. countless reputable posters have put this to bed already
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10033 on: April 19, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »
I'm currently riding independent conical bushings in thunder 148 and it's absolutely perfect.

Plenty of us have...here's a small sampling from [searching] this thread.

I was a Thunder guy for 10 years. Lately been on other trucks to kind of test the field but other reason was that got annoyed because those stock bushings would get destroyed so fast. I ride my trucks stock loose and still those bushings would just explode.

Last set i rode, i changed Indy conical bushings which are same height but little wider and didn't have any problems with them.

I switched to thunder hollow lights w/88a indy conical aftermarkets (broken in and sanded down top bushing) with sleeved washers, which, since the bottom sleeved washer is a bit thicker, brought them to the same exact height as stock thunder bottoms (!).

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10034 on: April 19, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Plenty of us have...here's a small sampling from [searching] this thread.

Expand Quote
I was a Thunder guy for 10 years. Lately been on other trucks to kind of test the field but other reason was that got annoyed because those stock bushings would get destroyed so fast. I ride my trucks stock loose and still those bushings would just explode.

Last set i rode, i changed Indy conical bushings which are same height but little wider and didn't have any problems with them.
[close]

Expand Quote
I switched to thunder hollow lights w/88a indy conical aftermarkets (broken in and sanded down top bushing) with sleeved washers, which, since the bottom sleeved washer is a bit thicker, brought them to the same exact height as stock thunder bottoms (!).
[close]

I stand corrected.

I will continue to educate myself as well as share my monthly earnings with organizations that do the same.

The.Tran.Man

« Reply #10035 on: April 19, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thunder ~ 17.5'
Venture - 17'

[close]
that carpet deck is listed as 14.25
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/carpet-company-blank-8-deck-multi_p147623

use tailors tape, if you cant clearly see where the inch starts then the whole thing is off.

dont even bother remeasuring, i wouldnt trust your accuracy based on these pictures alone. countless reputable posters have put this to bed already

appreciate the confirmation. like I said, i'm not an expert in measuring

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10036 on: April 19, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »
Lol, idk what you're talking about, shit looks like 14" to me. Doesn't matter if you can read the one or not, the end of the tape is on the center of the hole...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #10037 on: April 19, 2021, 02:56:21 PM »
Lol, idk what you're talking about, shit looks like 14" to me. Doesn't matter if you can read the one or not, the end of the tape is on the center of the hole...

Yea but the end of the tape is the metal attachment thing and thats not always flush with where the measuring tape begins. We're talking a 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch here so even these things make a difference. You should measure starting from the 1 inch part of the measuring tape, press it flat against the board and then subtract 1 inch from the total. Not go vaguely from the end of the metal L shaped thing.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #10038 on: April 19, 2021, 03:04:42 PM »
if it made that big of a difference i dont think theyd build buildings with those

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10039 on: April 19, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea but the end of the tape is the metal attachment thing and thats not always flush with where the measuring tape begins. We're talking a 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch here so even these things make a difference. You should measure starting from the 1 inch part of the measuring tape, press it flat against the board and then subtract 1 inch from the total. Not go vaguely from the end of the metal L shaped thing.

That is built into tape measures so that you get the same measurement if you hook and pull the measurement, or if its butted up. It's usually 1/16"-1/8" but can grow with older/poor quality tapes. Upon further review, he does have the tape pushed in on the carpet, pulled out on the girl, potentially causing the 1/4" discrepancy. I would like to retract my previous comment and would have to agree a tailors tape would be a better tool here. Since we are looking for the most accurate measurement.

Shalom

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #10040 on: April 22, 2021, 05:45:42 AM »
A friend gave me an 8.5" with Thunder 149s ver. II and I'm enjoying it so far.

Had a disastrous experience with the old geometry 149ers where the wheelbite was so bad it would pitch me. Riding smallish (for me) older wheels on this and it hasn't been an issue on street. We'll see about transition and if I can say the same with fresh 54mm wheels. 

Turning is almost as good as my regular Venture 5.2 Highs and being so low I haven't had a single ghost pop. I still think I prefer a slightly narrower board but I'm going to fool around on this for a while.

TL;DR: I liked a 5 year old truck redesign.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10041 on: April 22, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »
How does risers affect the turn of a truck?

Will it turn more with risers or just lean more?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #10042 on: April 22, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »

I got a pair of the thrasher indys hollow 159s off some guy who sold a practically new complete for 40. Probably stole it, but my gf got me some kreper kingpins for Christmas and i put em on there. I love them so far

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #10043 on: April 22, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »

I got a pair of the thrasher indys hollow 159s off some guy who sold a practically new complete for 40. Probably stole it, but my gf got me some kreper kingpins for Christmas and i put em on there. I love them so far

Damn your girl got you kreper kingpins? She's a keeper.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #10044 on: April 22, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn your girl got you kreper kingpins? She's a kreper.

Fixed that for you
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10045 on: April 22, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »
A friend gave me an 8.5" with Thunder 149s ver. II and I'm enjoying it so far.

Had a disastrous experience with the old geometry 149ers where the wheelbite was so bad it would pitch me. Riding smallish (for me) older wheels on this and it hasn't been an issue on street. We'll see about transition and if I can say the same with fresh 54mm wheels. 

Turning is almost as good as my regular Venture 5.2 Highs and being so low I haven't had a single ghost pop. I still think I prefer a slightly narrower board but I'm going to fool around on this for a while.

TL;DR: I liked a 5 year old truck redesign.

I have quite a few older sets of trucks including some of those Thunders.

Coming from other taller trucks I ride medium to loose and bigger wheels, I found that risers were a must, even just the thin rubber ones made such a difference and I could skate them "normally" without getting wheelbite and actually being able to turn with them, running stock bushings and untouched kingpin nut.

How does risers affect the turn of a truck?

Will it turn more with risers or just lean more?

Having risers, even just 1mm thin rubber ones, or at most the 1/8 height with regular sized wheels makes a huge difference to everything, so yes you can turn a lot more without wheelbite stopping the turn, but that is combined with bushings that will allow the turn as well.

No use having any risers at all with crazy tight trucks that are a struggle to turn.

One thing I often don't say unless I am helping someone face to face, but what makes a big difference too is by putting more weight on the back truck as you turn, rather than the front truck.  If you have more weight on the front truck, you are going to wheelbite and stop, but more weight on the back truck and you are more likely to be able to turn well without wheelbite, or if you do have a bit, it will not stop you dead and more likely just slow you down a bit.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10046 on: April 23, 2021, 12:53:42 PM »
Anybody know if Riptide Indy pivot cups will fit in Ace classics?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10047 on: April 23, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
They will!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10048 on: April 23, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »

They do. Most cups will fit anything over time unless they are too big/tall.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10049 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »