Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220948 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10620 on: November 20, 2021, 07:37:21 AM »
I had bad axel slip for years and so I now run the race red no rattle set up...I haven't had slippage since but I'm not fully convinced it totally works....I think trucks have for the most part gotten better.  It might be worth a shot though....the one pitfall I had was that a lot of companies have wonky cores....I've had the most success with bones....the set up makes your board go from sounding like a muscle car to a Nissan Leaf.... Which isn't for everyone....

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #10621 on: November 27, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »

Ti 159's on the inverted baseplates with Ace bushings, Array sleeved bottom washers and Ti kingpins 8)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #10622 on: November 27, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
 low whistle
Where'd you get the fancy KP and washers?

logjammin

« Reply #10623 on: November 27, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
Washers from Muir skate. Kingpins from an online auto parts store that I forgot the name of...

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #10624 on: November 27, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »

Ti 159's on the inverted baseplates with Ace bushings, Array sleeved bottom washers and Ti kingpins 8)

That’s sexy, I need to try this setup. I was really happy with the Indy orange conical bushings for a few days, then they firmed up. I ended up putting  my Aces back on.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #10625 on: November 28, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »

I don't even fuck with indy's like that but this some serious heat

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10626 on: November 28, 2021, 01:04:39 PM »
Just replaced my Indy forged baseplates with the Indy IKP baseplates out of curiosity. Initial impressions are that I need to get used to a taller truck again and I hate not seeing the flush kingpin nut, but the turn feels so much deeper and sharper. I literally can’t wheelbite ~55mm conical fulls with what I believe to be medium-loose blue 92A cylinders and me being 165 lbs.

Does the Indy IKP baseplate actually change the turn relative to the standard baseplates? I know in my case I’m going from forged (53.5mm high) to IKP/cast (55mm high), so there’s no doubt a change there, but they feel more Ace-like now than I remember my old Indy standards feeling.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10627 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »
If people want to replace their kingpin with a titanium panhead bolt of some sort, you want to find 3/8-24 x 2" UNF hardware. Most of this stuff is automotive. Here are some options. If anyone wants to take the plunge and tell us what works, that'd be cool. There are probably some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals out there.

Allen:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

Unspecified 6-point wrench size:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Fine-Thread-Titanium-Bolt-3-8-24-x-2-Inch,33314.html

9/16" wrench size:
https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6076.htm

5/32"/5.5mm Allen:
https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6124.htm
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10628 on: November 29, 2021, 03:02:11 AM »
Just replaced my Indy forged baseplates with the Indy IKP baseplates out of curiosity. Initial impressions are that I need to get used to a taller truck again and I hate not seeing the flush kingpin nut, but the turn feels so much deeper and sharper. I literally can’t wheelbite ~55mm conical fulls with what I believe to be medium-loose blue 92A cylinders and me being 165 lbs.

Does the Indy IKP baseplate actually change the turn relative to the standard baseplates? I know in my case I’m going from forged (53.5mm high) to IKP/cast (55mm high), so there’s no doubt a change there, but they feel more Ace-like now than I remember my old Indy standards feeling.

I feel like the inverted kingpin baseplate works the same way as the standard baseplate, the only difference being you can't easily see how far down the nut is, which is a bit weird, but I think they still turn the same overall.

If you do the inverted kingpin right up so it is as deep in as it can go, then turn a full turn back, that should be the same height as a nut flush with the top of a normal kingpin.

You might find the trucks are tighter than normal like that, or that they are looser right now than what you had them before, but it is crazy how much 1.5 mm height difference means to wheelbite, or lack of it.

Curious to hear how they feel, or how much you loosen them off from tight in as well, but I would also mark the kingpin heads (just a dot with a black marker or something on one side) and keep an eye on it to see if it loosens off by itself at all, as they are prone to do, so said a number of people I know.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #10629 on: November 29, 2021, 08:04:41 AM »
If people want to replace their kingpin with a titanium panhead bolt of some sort, you want to find 3/8-24 x 2" UNF hardware. Most of this stuff is automotive. Here are some options. If anyone wants to take the plunge and tell us what works, that'd be cool. There are probably some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals out there.

Allen:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

Unspecified 6-point wrench size:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Fine-Thread-Titanium-Bolt-3-8-24-x-2-Inch,33314.html

9/16" wrench size:
https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6076.htm

5/32"/5.5mm Allen:
https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6124.htm

The only Ti bolts worth buying are the first one you listed on Speedway Motors. Unfortunately, the threads on the other bolts will extend up through the hole in the baseplate which will eat into your kingpin hole. Your trucks will get sloppy and won't snap back to center well.

Heavier people seem to have issues with IKPs, my guess as to why; standard bottom bushing cups have a lot of play. I feel a sleeved washer that fits snug around the kingpin like @logjammin is using helps to elevate the issue. At least in my experience it solved the issue, but I only weigh ~140 pounds, and I don't jump down big shit.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10630 on: November 30, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »

Yeah, booooy!

logjammin

« Reply #10631 on: November 30, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »
You have to run Ace bottom/tops with that Ti kingpin though, anything shorter and you have to tighten it down all the way and then you can still turn your bushings with your fingers because they're not secure. I then tried Bones bottoms/tops with no washers and it works, but I think it's gonna result in the kingpin breaking because it's equivalent to having a normal kingpin and cranking the nut down a fuckton like a n00b and then it snaps. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10632 on: November 30, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
You have to run Ace bottom/tops with that Ti kingpin though, anything shorter and you have to tighten it down all the way and then you can still turn your bushings with your fingers because they're not secure. I then tried Bones bottoms/tops with no washers and it works, but I think it's gonna result in the kingpin breaking because it's equivalent to having a normal kingpin and cranking the nut down a fuckton like a n00b and then it snaps. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I'd be impressed if you snapped a Ti pin. Keep at it!

logjammin

« Reply #10633 on: November 30, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »
Haha, 235lbs and love loose trucks, it's definitely possible.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10634 on: November 30, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
Threw some Krux inverted kingpins in a pair of Indy inverted kingpin plates and they felt way too loose. Even all the way down. I have some Kreeper kingpins, would those feel better?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

logjammin

« Reply #10635 on: November 30, 2021, 06:51:03 PM »
Krepers are the heaviest option but yeah, they have the most threads and will secure everything nicely. I found the OG Krux kingpins to make the trucks perform weird.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #10636 on: December 01, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
The original Krux downlow kingpins with the goofy washer do feel different. I think it’s because the washer doesn’t make much contact with the top bushing. The feel either got better or I got used to it after a couple sessions.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10637 on: December 01, 2021, 05:30:15 PM »
Krepers are the heaviest option but yeah, they have the most threads and will secure everything nicely. I found the OG Krux kingpins to make the trucks perform weird.

The first gen Krux Downlow on Ace Classics bottomed out at like "Max Palmer loose". The Kreper kingpin is a meaty boy but yeah, the extra threads made all the difference.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #10638 on: December 05, 2021, 01:00:45 PM »
What trucks have the best pop?

Long story short: I put some ~51mm spitfire classics back on my board after months of much bigger wheels and randomly got my pop back on an obstacle I thought i'd lost the ability to ollie. I don't understand this at all. I'm on aces currently (classic 44) and want to find the trucks with the best pop for 8.25 - 8.5 decks. Especially looking for good pop on a pure street setup.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #10639 on: December 05, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

Long story short: I put some ~51mm spitfire classics back on my board after months of much bigger wheels and randomly got my pop back on an obstacle I thought i'd lost the ability to ollie. I don't understand this at all. I'm on aces currently (classic 44) and want to find the trucks with the best pop for 8.25 - 8.5 decks. Especially looking for good pop on a pure street setup.

Venture low on a short wheelbase
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

fakie varial flip

« Reply #10640 on: December 05, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Venture low on a short wheelbase

YES i've been looking for a reason to buy ventures anyway, I feel so validated

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10641 on: December 06, 2021, 01:11:48 PM »
Is it worth the time and effort to lubricate pivot cups/bushings with soap or wax shavings to eliminate squeaking? Or will it just come back in a week

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #10642 on: December 06, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »
Is it worth the time and effort to lubricate pivot cups/bushings with soap or wax shavings to eliminate squeaking? Or will it just come back in a week

i put some gulf wax in my pivot cups and it's been months. a little bit of noise but nothing like before. ymmv though

logjammin

« Reply #10643 on: December 07, 2021, 06:33:07 AM »
I buy bricks of paraffin wax from the crafts store and dig a razor blade in and get some mountains of wax slivers and pour it into the pivot cups, then i rub both sides of my bushings on the wax and squeaking stays away for several months.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10644 on: December 07, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »

When my trucks start squeaking, I put a very thin layer of grease in the pivot cup and on any other metal-on-metal contact point on the truck. A little wax works, especially if you're already out skating and you've got wax handy.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10645 on: December 07, 2021, 07:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When my trucks start squeaking, I put a very thin layer of grease in the pivot cup and on any other metal-on-metal contact point on the truck. A little wax works, especially if you're already out skating and you've got wax handy.

Same, I use machine grease and it works like a charm. For some trucks (Films, for example) it’s a night and day difference for me and the grease lasts a very long time
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:05:28 AM by Sundaynuggets »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10646 on: December 07, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, I use machine grease and it works like a charm. For some trucks (Films, for example) it’s a night and day difference for me and the grease lasts a very long time

[close]

I struggled for a long time to remember writing that first paragraph

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10647 on: December 07, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
Riptides cured squeaking for me, lube always wears out and I swear wax shavings makes my trucks turn worse.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10648 on: December 07, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I struggled for a long time to remember writing that first paragraph

Hahaha sorry, for some reason it got mixed up when I posted

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10649 on: December 07, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did some wax today on two of my boards. Seemed to eliminate most of the squeak. But by the end of the session on my Ventures it looked like most of the wax had worked its way out already.