Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1226068 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11340 on: June 17, 2022, 05:59:47 PM »
I've been looking through the instagram account fuckwithyourtrucks a lot lately and its gotten me really curious about the whole running different branded hangars and baseplates thing. Anyone on here do this regularly? Could I put say a venture hangar on like an indy baeplate and have a venture that skates like an indy or am I just being dumb. I know compatibility is probably the main reason more people don't do this.

Back when all the Stage 9 Indy baseplates would break so we ended up with a lot of Indy hangers, but as Thunder hangers would often break or wear out, we had a lot of Thunder baseplates, so mixing and matching just to get by was fairly common and yes it worked.

Also the bushings really do make a lot of difference, depending on the angle of the hanger, some bushings that worked in some trucks just didn't work well in others or mixes of those.

I also tried Thunder baseplates with Venture hangers more recently just for a laugh (same story, Venture baseplates broke) and that worked too - setup on a cruiser with taller bottom bushing and minimal top, those things turned really well, but on the stock Thunder bushings, they didn't skate so well.

The feel of the trucks is different, so it is not as easy as just saying you have an Indy turn, or you have a Thunder turn with which ever hanger or baseplate in use.

Messing round with a whole lot of old or spare parts, I am usually one to keep brands very specific and not mix and match, but on occasions where I have, most of the time I have ended up with a workable solution, not that I would really be keen to take these out in public on a normal board - such is my mindset on that - but it can be done.

Also that account is amazing with some of the things people have done, way beyond anything I would think to try to do, but some of the things I would definitely be afraid of messing them up too much.  Can't think of an example right this minute but if anyone hasn't seen it, it is well worth checking out.

https://www.instagram.com/fuckwithyourtrucks/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11341 on: June 17, 2022, 06:11:43 PM »

This was interesting to see:

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11342 on: June 18, 2022, 08:21:10 AM »
I've been looking through the instagram account fuckwithyourtrucks a lot lately and its gotten me really curious about the whole running different branded hangars and baseplates thing. Anyone on here do this regularly? Could I put say a venture hangar on like an indy baeplate and have a venture that skates like an indy or am I just being dumb. I know compatibility is probably the main reason more people don't do this.

I noticed on my ventures how well you can balance on manuals and pop off the pocket…..but also how on aces  the front truck is insanely tippy for nose manuals….and your front truck can pretty much swerve out of anything with no wheelbite……

Could the answer be Venture in the back, Ace in the front?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #11343 on: June 18, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
I gotta say that I find the "fuckwithyourtrucks" guy to be incredibly annoying, and the fact that he is measuring in imperial units isn't helping.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

tonitonne

« Reply #11344 on: June 18, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »
Venture Hi's never hang up or give me issues, I find then to be the best all around stock truck. They never need different bushings or the kingpin messed with in my experiences. They also turn just fine once you break the bushings in just like any other truck, Didn't really experience the whole "ventures don't turn" thing. Thunders and Ace are also good, They could have better clearance but its whatever. The grind and turn on indys is too inconsistent these days unfortunately, some pairs skate great and some feel like cheap off brand complete trucks. Film remind me a lot of ace with how turny they are, but they are very high with better clearance then ace which is nice. Film also makes an IKP truck which is worth checking out. That being said the only trucks I continuously buy these days are ventures, and sometimes thunders when i want easier grinds. Ace is just a cruiser/slappy thing for me these days, not something i'd ride on my main setup anymore.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #11345 on: June 18, 2022, 12:14:38 PM »
Venture Hi's never hang up or give me issues, I find then to be the best all around stock truck. They never need different bushings or the kingpin messed with in my experiences. They also turn just fine once you break the bushings in just like any other truck, Didn't really experience the whole "ventures don't turn" thing. Thunders and Ace are also good, They could have better clearance but its whatever. The grind and turn on indys is too inconsistent these days unfortunately, some pairs skate great and some feel like cheap off brand complete trucks. Film remind me a lot of ace with how turny they are, but they are very high with better clearance then ace which is nice. Film also makes an IKP truck which is worth checking out. That being said the only trucks I continuously buy these days are ventures, and sometimes thunders when i want easier grinds. Ace is just a cruiser/slappy thing for me these days, not something i'd ride on my main setup anymore.

I feel like Venture stock definitely is as you say but looser (softer/lower bushings) they feel really good, almost surfy and laggy to where they feel nice to throw around for tricks and feel more comfortable for certain tricks like nollie/switch shuvs (for me). Sometimes (especially on short/short wheelbase decks) they feel too unstable and strange, almost awkward given im a bit taller and used to 14.25WB)

Either way I think the fact that the difference in pinch and grind is so available (look at Jacopo doing wild shit on aces and mellow baker boards) makes ventures a second choice for me after trying them. From my truck escapades I think thunder Hi 149 + 1/8 risers works best on 8.25 and bigger decks, because I get a similar pinch compared to venture hi (grind is definitely worse) and a deeper, extremely responsive turn, while still being tall (for big wheels) and lighter-feeling pop

tonitonne

« Reply #11346 on: June 18, 2022, 01:36:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like Venture stock definitely is as you say but looser (softer/lower bushings) they feel really good, almost surfy and laggy to where they feel nice to throw around for tricks and feel more comfortable for certain tricks like nollie/switch shuvs (for me). Sometimes (especially on short/short wheelbase decks) they feel too unstable and strange, almost awkward given im a bit taller and used to 14.25WB)

Either way I think the fact that the difference in pinch and grind is so available (look at Jacopo doing wild shit on aces and mellow baker boards) makes ventures a second choice for me after trying them. From my truck escapades I think thunder Hi 149 + 1/8 risers works best on 8.25 and bigger decks, because I get a similar pinch compared to venture hi (grind is definitely worse) and a deeper, extremely responsive turn, while still being tall (for big wheels) and lighter-feeling pop

I ride 1/8" riser as well with 60mm or 58mm wheels on my thunders and ventures. See I feel like ventures/thunders can make any board under 14.25 feel more stable and rideable as 14.25 is also the smallest wheelbase I'll skate as well. I had a 13.9 with aces before and that was hands down the worst feeling board I've ever owned, Threw the thunders on it and it actually felt like my skateboard and I could actually pop it. I don't know though it's all personal preference and a different tools for different jobs thing. I only skate street and I also like long feeling decks. I used to do 15+" with aces or indy for a while. Anything smaller than 14.25 always spins too fast for me and I really have to put too much thought into finessing tricks I already have muscle memory for.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #11347 on: June 18, 2022, 03:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride 1/8" riser as well with 60mm or 58mm wheels on my thunders and ventures. See I feel like ventures/thunders can make any board under 14.25 feel more stable and rideable as 14.25 is also the smallest wheelbase I'll skate as well. I had a 13.9 with aces before and that was hands down the worst feeling board I've ever owned, Threw the thunders on it and it actually felt like my skateboard and I could actually pop it. I don't know though it's all personal preference and a different tools for different jobs thing. I only skate street and I also like long feeling decks. I used to do 15+" with aces or indy for a while. Anything smaller than 14.25 always spins too fast for me and I really have to put too much thought into finessing tricks I already have muscle memory for.

Does the huge wheels + skinny trucks combo mess with your lock in on grinds?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #11348 on: June 19, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
I watched the Gifted Hater truck vid with Ben Degros, and they both seem to not be a fan of the indy forged baseplate.
Anyone else share the same view, and can go deeper into why?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11349 on: June 19, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »

Hard disagree on Venture which is why 90% of Venture riders on this board I know in real life run different bushings and top washer. And I don't know anyone that has an issue with a non IKP Indy in the past 4 years. I was talking with a shop owner last week and he said they can't get Ventures off the shelves and have had tons come back with crumbling bushings, bent top washer, bent axles, and generally unhappy customers. Haven't had a single issue with Chinese Indy's. This shop is fairly high volume, has been around forever, and doesn't have any sort of DLX or NHS allegiance.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #11350 on: June 19, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard disagree on Venture which is why 90% of Venture riders on this board I know in real life run different bushings and top washer. And I don't know anyone that has an issue with a non IKP Indy in the past 4 years. I was talking with a shop owner last week and he said they can't get Ventures off the shelves and have had tons come back with crumbling bushings, bent top washer, bent axles, and generally unhappy customers. Haven't had a single issue with Chinese Indy's. This shop is fairly high volume, has been around forever, and doesn't have any sort of DLX or NHS allegiance.

I’m having a hard time trying to figure out if you like Ventures or Indys…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11351 on: June 19, 2022, 01:44:41 PM »
I like and dislike things about both. I'm on Indy's because I do like them and I got sick of going back and forth and I want to ride a pair of trucks to the axle. Trust me there's lots of things I miss about Ventures. Overall tho I give a slight edge to Indy's for me because they tend to feel better on more of the shapes I like to skate whereas Ventures on a few select shapes are like a cheat code for specific tricks.

I'm more against saying trucks are either good or bad. They all index in certain respects and you just have to acknowledge and not make it a contest.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11352 on: June 19, 2022, 02:59:27 PM »
I like and dislike things about both. I'm on Indy's because I do like them and I got sick of going back and forth and I want to ride a pair of trucks to the axle. Trust me there's lots of things I miss about Ventures. Overall tho I give a slight edge to Indy's for me because they tend to feel better on more of the shapes I like to skate whereas Ventures on a few select shapes are like a cheat code for specific tricks.

I'm more against saying trucks are either good or bad. They all index in certain respects and you just have to acknowledge and not make it a contest.

I’m nice and deep into the front and rear axles on my Indy’s and now my goal is to crack the hanger

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11353 on: June 19, 2022, 06:51:19 PM »
I watched the Gifted Hater truck vid with Ben Degros, and they both seem to not be a fan of the indy forged baseplate.
Anyone else share the same view, and can go deeper into why?

Lighter (hollows) and lower than Standard Cast plate indies.

I like Indys, they're the best all purpose truck you can ride across any terrain without running into issues; the jack of all trades master of none scenario....Indys (with bones for me) and 99a spits have you covered across anything you might want to skate....that's why I dig the royals so much, they do everything indy (and thunder) do, with none of the drawbacks of either.

If ACE could just get their QC under...erm...control and get those hollows out...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11354 on: June 19, 2022, 08:48:13 PM »
I think it's not that Ben and GH dislike the plates it's that they don't improve the truck they like and alter the feel of said truck.

I've skated every Indy and liked the forged plates for a while, but they do change the pop feel to be closer to a Thunder sorta and don't really lighten shit up quite as much as people would think. Also they can sound a bit weird/tinny and Ben seems to use that adjective a lot with trucks he doesn't like. I have noticed that very few pros ride them for whatever reason and the ones that do are usually tech dudes that now ride the Mids.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11355 on: June 19, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »
Tinny for sure, moreso with thunders.

I’ve noticed most pros on cast too, but hey, they skate what’s free in the box.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #11356 on: June 19, 2022, 11:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

makes sense. wtf you doing with 58-60mm wheels on thunders and street tho? my cap atm is 56 cant do shit after that

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11357 on: June 20, 2022, 05:36:46 AM »

Browsing ebay and came across this set of modified Indy trucks that definitely deserve a mention here.

Could even be someone from Slap, but I have never seen this much "action" happen to any before.  Reminds me of some Grind King trucks I have sitting around, the minimal front part and inverted kingpin mainly.

Some other interesting things in their listings too.

Australian ebay link:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175321627652

US / global ebay link:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/175321627652

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11358 on: June 20, 2022, 05:45:47 AM »

Browsing ebay and came across this set of modified Indy trucks that definitely deserve a mention here.

Could even be someone from Slap, but I have never seen this much "action" happen to any before.  Reminds me of some Grind King trucks I have sitting around, the minimal front part and inverted kingpin mainly.

what purpose does removing the corners serve? less material = less resistance = better slide?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11359 on: June 20, 2022, 05:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what purpose does removing the corners serve? less material = less resistance = better slide?

I think that was the idea with Grind King and Destructo "Rail Killers" and some other brands as well, but it seemed more of a gimmick than serving any real purpose in helping with nose / tail slides.

Maybe somebody got Indy and wanted Grind King.  They look pretty similar now.

tonitonne

« Reply #11360 on: June 20, 2022, 09:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

makes sense. wtf you doing with 58-60mm wheels on thunders and street tho? my cap atm is 56 cant do shit after that

Skating on the east coast, anything smaller than 56mm is impractical for skating around the city. I'm not crazy tech either just a proper popped switch/reg basics kind of person. And to the dude who asked if big wheels mess with grinds, for me no, not really a difference between a 50 50 on a rail with 54s then it is 60s. Sometimes i catch wheel on ventures on nose/tail slides but i just push through it, no different than doing them on thunders. Plus ventures and thunders are light so the heavier wheels balance everything out. Also probably worth noting I only skate conicals and OG classics.

tonitonne

« Reply #11361 on: June 20, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's wild my shops highest sellers are thunder and venture. But all bushings crumble man, Ever skate any stock indy, ace, or thunder bushings for more than 6-8 months? Bent axles I have no excuse for but I'm not a big guy (only ever snapped one deck), so I've never had that happen in my life with any truck. The only trucks i've really ever ran into issues with is some pairs of newer independents. They aren't bad trucks, but the quality certainly has became way more unpredictable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11362 on: June 20, 2022, 12:44:43 PM »
380 pages of a truck thread and we give a shit about shops?  All the answers are here! 

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11363 on: June 21, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »

These guys randomly followed me on Instagram. Wild looking tucks, like someone made them on Dall.e. The hanger is half Indy half Tensor, the baseplate is grindking-esque with a built in bushing cup and bones??? Not sure what to make of it, I wonder if anyone has seen this design before as maybe it's like just a generic cheap Alibaba truck.

IpathCats

« Reply #11364 on: June 21, 2022, 08:13:30 AM »

These guys randomly followed me on Instagram. Wild looking tucks, like someone made them on Dall.e. The hanger is half Indy half Tensor, the baseplate is grindking-esque with a built in bushing cup and bones??? Not sure what to make of it, I wonder if anyone has seen this design before as maybe it's like just a generic cheap Alibaba truck.

Whatever they are, they need to stop.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #11365 on: June 21, 2022, 09:56:11 AM »
thundependent

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #11366 on: June 21, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »
Looks like Thunder is really testing IKP. Ben Degros is shredding some?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11367 on: June 21, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
Which trucks work best with mellow decks and steep decks?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #11368 on: June 21, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
Which trucks work best with mellow decks and steep decks?

If this is in reference to the kicks, I read/understood this:

Mellow = taller trucks. Indy, Venture Hi, maybe Ace

Steep = lower trucks. Thunder, Royals, Venture Lo, Ace Lo

Let's add in the space (fingers of flat) between the kick and the bolta and then more madness comes in to find the sweet spot. I'm not sure if shorter or longer WB are better for mellow or steeper kicks.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11369 on: June 21, 2022, 05:18:55 PM »
Looks like Thunder is really testing IKP. Ben Degros is shredding some?

Nice find.

I guess it is not so much a secret as others have been seen with them, but here is a screen shot, looking pretty normal really.