Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232471 times)

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11490 on: July 09, 2022, 04:30:42 PM »
My Indy Ti 149s got some bad axel slip about a month ago. Wasn't able to tighten an axel nut past the threads before hitting the bearing.

I swapped them out with some Thunder Ti 149s. I've had them a while but skated them like twice. Clear red bushings.

After my first ollie, I realized that I'm not going back to Indy. My pop felt sooooooo much better. Pretty sure it's the lower height. The turn feels more stable, too. The Indys were fairly loose with bones mediums. Might change the Thunder bushings eventually but I'm pretty happy just riding stock.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:53:02 PM by Joe Davola »

Scottboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #11491 on: July 09, 2022, 05:32:49 PM »
After my first ollie, I realized that I'm not going back to Indy. My pop felt sooooooo much better. Pretty sure it's the lower height. The turn feels more stable, too.
This is exactly why I ride Thunders. Indy and Ace are fun to ride, but I skate noticeably better on Thunders. The only thing I don’t like about thunders is the short baseplate causes me to catch my wheels on noseslides every now and then. It’s a trade off I’m perfectly fine with though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11492 on: July 09, 2022, 09:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
You'd think wider axles would be more prone to bending than narrower. You probably don't see too many bent 215s as not many people skate those in high impact situations. (Except Gonz ollieing down Wallenberg of course.)
[close]

I look to ACE ace and how they bent (even at 8") Theeve didn't have bending issues that I was ever aware of.

Guess that's why they're testing them out instead of just pushing them to market. I'd imagine that metals and tolerances since the OG IV and current XI have changed? 215s supposedly still use the old geo, but if I remember right there was a time where the 215s were updated to stage XI (last year or so?). Who knows.

Stage IV / that hanger design + Forged ti ? Yes, please.

A few truck brands have had issues with the production facilities not following procedure and overfilling the baskets of hangers that went through the heat curing process, which leads to the metal not being tempered correctly and the truck hangers bend in ways no one would believe (including myself) if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.

Theeve, Ace and Destructo all had these issues when they first came out, as per Theeve trucks comment from Trev Ward on this post:

thesuitcase
"I’ll give you the heads up. I used this factory which Krux and venture both used too. When they heat treat their trucks they over fill their baskets and the trucks don’t get heat treated correctly. This creates the issue. It’s not the design of the truck it’s the factory cutting corners. 100,000 units I lost through this. I thought it was a design flaw and then the V2 theeve came out. But when the truth came out we worked out a very hard lesson"

I still have a dozen sets of Destructo trucks which are in perfect working order that were made in USA, then this set from back when production went from USA to China for these Destructo trucks early 00s, which some people still cannot believe is real, but they bent from skateboarding, not being run over or any other thing.

To note though, they also fixed production and make what is said to be a very good product nowdays, but I have not skated any that were made after 2000 and certainly seen none of the newer models in person.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11493 on: July 10, 2022, 01:54:56 AM »
Smiley truck co.

sammyz

« Reply #11494 on: July 10, 2022, 10:37:21 PM »
i've managed to get myself into truck madness over the last couple of days.

i've read through the Truck wheelbase thread too...so that's either made it worse or maybe provided a solution...

so hear me out...I've switched to Passport decks, and i like everything about it (especially, buying local) except for the longer wheelbase...my sweet spot is 14-14.25 on a 32" long deck. This deck is 32 long, but 14.5 wheelbase.

Now, when I skated the 14-14.25, i loved it on thunders, and per the wheelbase thread, the effective wheelbase was somewhere around 17.5'ish.

Now on my Passport i have my Indy Forged Hollow, which is effectively the same wheelbase as Thunders and stretches that wheelbase to 17.7'ish.

A standard Indy have a shorter wheelbase and I feel like the difference is to do with the cast baseplate vs forged baseplate. 

What I wanted to know, is if anyone has tried a cast baseplate on a hollow hanger...does this reduce the wheelbase back to a standard Indy?

sammyz

« Reply #11495 on: July 11, 2022, 02:08:00 AM »
We can ignore my post above…i did the deed…and yeah the baseplate makes a difference and cuts wheelbase.

But my theory was wrong, I thought it was the height of the baseplate, but its the angle of the kingpin that’s different, and just looking at it, you can see the angle of the kingpin is different.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11496 on: July 11, 2022, 08:13:11 AM »
@lamfordie: found the the Thunder base pic in this thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118215.150#quickreply

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like Thunder is setting the kingpin deeper into the baseplate now. Should allow to get them a little bit looser.

[close]

I saw a newer set of Ventures that are like that too. I think it's just a shorter kingpin because the hanger clearance up top looks about the same as the old ones. Maybe that recessed bit on the baseplate is designed to fit a sleeve (like on the Mindys) if they ever release that inverted kingpin version.
[close]

The recess is for shorter kingpins because they couldn’t source the normal length kingpin at the time due to supply chain issues. It’s much cheaper to modify an existing mold by removing metal from the mold than it is to make a new one so it was an economical solution to a shortage issue.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11497 on: July 19, 2022, 08:58:38 PM »
Anyone know best and easiest spraypaint for custom truck colors? I like black baseplates over raw these days and wanna glaze em up.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #11498 on: July 19, 2022, 09:34:17 PM »
Anyone know best and easiest spraypaint for custom truck colors? I like black baseplates over raw these days and wanna glaze em up.
I would talk to @lilboosie if I was thinking of doing homebrew truck colors.

If Indy is keeping their made up numbers consistentish, wouldn't a 166 be 9" truck? Sorta seems like a direct competitor to the Ace AF1 66s.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:47:26 PM by jakeumms »
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #11499 on: July 20, 2022, 06:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You'd think wider axles would be more prone to bending than narrower. You probably don't see too many bent 215s as not many people skate those in high impact situations. (Except Gonz ollieing down Wallenberg of course.)
[close]

I look to ACE ace and how they bent (even at 8") Theeve didn't have bending issues that I was ever aware of.

Guess that's why they're testing them out instead of just pushing them to market. I'd imagine that metals and tolerances since the OG IV and current XI have changed? 215s supposedly still use the old geo, but if I remember right there was a time where the 215s were updated to stage XI (last year or so?). Who knows.

Stage IV / that hanger design + Forged ti ? Yes, please.
[close]

A few truck brands have had issues with the production facilities not following procedure and overfilling the baskets of hangers that went through the heat curing process, which leads to the metal not being tempered correctly and the truck hangers bend in ways no one would believe (including myself) if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.

Theeve, Ace and Destructo all had these issues when they first came out, as per Theeve trucks comment from Trev Ward on this post:

thesuitcase
"I’ll give you the heads up. I used this factory which Krux and venture both used too. When they heat treat their trucks they over fill their baskets and the trucks don’t get heat treated correctly. This creates the issue. It’s not the design of the truck it’s the factory cutting corners. 100,000 units I lost through this. I thought it was a design flaw and then the V2 theeve came out. But when the truth came out we worked out a very hard lesson"

I still have a dozen sets of Destructo trucks which are in perfect working order that were made in USA, then this set from back when production went from USA to China for these Destructo trucks early 00s, which some people still cannot believe is real, but they bent from skateboarding, not being run over or any other thing.

To note though, they also fixed production and make what is said to be a very good product nowdays, but I have not skated any that were made after 2000 and certainly seen none of the newer models in person.

I remember Mike doing a video where he does like a street plant on a brand new set and bends them. I can't for the life of me remember what the clip was in. I sure it was more nuanced than this, but it felt like destructo disappeared after that. There's also that video of Bam saying he riding destructo trucks (wink) when he clearly has indy's. I'm sure they sold a ton of pink and purple trucks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11500 on: July 20, 2022, 08:06:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember Mike doing a video where he does like a street plant on a brand new set and bends them. I can't for the life of me remember what the clip was in. I sure it was more nuanced than this, but it felt like destructo disappeared after that. There's also that video of Bam saying he riding destructo trucks (wink) when he clearly has indy's. I'm sure they sold a ton of pink and purple trucks

Ha yes and yes to that last part - had to do a little looking back with someone not so long ago and every single board pic and clip was on Indy trucks, except for the "pose and smile" type pics which had what looked like unused trucks on a brand new complete.

Never seen the Mike clip like that but I imagine it would be easy enough to happen, as those things were so soft, which is to me the reason things just went from such a high selling brand to almost nothing in a very short time.  So many warranties just made the local distros close up shop on that account, or so it seemed.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #11501 on: July 20, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
https://alva-skates.com/collections/alva-45-year-anniversary-collection

This is the first time I've seen painted/pro Indy 109s (although I'm sure they've existed before)

RaptorHunter182

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11502 on: July 20, 2022, 08:24:47 PM »
Independent Forged Hollows
Bones Bushings (Medium)

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11503 on: July 21, 2022, 08:56:51 PM »
Finally got the Indy IKP baseplate set.

Definitely makes a difference for me, although it seems that it's way harder to tighten the trucks which isn't a big deal for me but may be for some. Can't wait to see how they hold up on non-metal obstacles.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11504 on: July 21, 2022, 09:50:54 PM »
Is this your front truck cuz it looks like there are zero Smith or feeble marks so it's hard to imagine it mattering.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11505 on: July 21, 2022, 10:08:21 PM »
Is this your front truck cuz it looks like there are zero Smith or feeble marks so it's hard to imagine it mattering.

Yes. Shouldn't matter at all but here's my back truck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11506 on: July 22, 2022, 04:41:35 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Shouldn't matter at all but here's my back truck.

They definitely look like you have good clearance on those ones.

I am always curious with people who have set up the inverted kingpin, how far in or how far out from full lock they ride them, given that full lock in seems to hold the kingpin in place and is a lot lower than a few turns out from full lock.

On the stock bushings, they felt fairly good on full lock for me, but on the aftermarket low red 92 duro ones I normally use, they didn't feel like they were far enough in, but that is more because of the low head, which is meant to take the kingpin nut down two threads or so anyway.

Given everyone is different, especially with aftermarket bushing combos, it would be harder to work out, unless people screw them right down to full lock and then count how many turns they wind them back out.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11507 on: July 22, 2022, 07:17:40 AM »
I can’t smith or feeble for the most part…short of a mini ramp but it still matters…..and if you don’t agree with me… you don’t know the madness……

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11508 on: July 22, 2022, 07:51:48 AM »
 :-* you do you bud, ride your happy place trucks

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11509 on: July 25, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Mystery Indys solved! 166 Stage 4 as seen on Chico Brenes' IG story.

https://streamable.com/0gq21p

I don't believe this to be NOS since there's no Iron Cross logo, the size is shown on the hanger, and we've seen other people skate these.

Coming back to this topic:

On NHS the 215 product page got renamed to "Stage 4 Polished Skateboard Trucks Independent" and the description implies that there will be more sizes.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent?variant=40118119596189

Independent Trucks Stage 4 feature a retro style single wing hanger design and are great on wider boards from 9.5 to 10.5 inches.
Currently available as 215mm.

As far as I remember, current 215s were always labeled as Stage 11.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11510 on: July 25, 2022, 10:49:32 PM »
They should confuse us further by dropping 145’s, 155’s, 165’s etc….make sure the numbers have nothing to do with the measurements. 

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11511 on: July 26, 2022, 06:22:51 AM »
I DM'd a ripper who is on Indy and he said his measured 151mm, not 149.

Chris

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11512 on: July 26, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »
Ace AF1 or Indy Hollows?

I cum b4 you sk8rs with a question. I am in decision paralysis.

Currrently riding Stage 11 149s on an 8.5 FA. I skate a homemade box and a little red rail and some parking lots occasionally (shoutout Ethan). Mostly just skating in circles and doing flat ground. 28 yo stocky boi looking to lighten up I think.

For the record I will take them out of the box and put them on my board with no wacky mix match angle grinding bushing licking wackiness

Thanks !

luv chris

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11513 on: July 26, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
Ace AF1 or Indy Hollows?

Currrently riding Stage 11 149s on an 8.5 FA. I skate a homemade box and a little red rail and some parking lots occasionally (shoutout Ethan). Mostly just skating in circles and doing flat ground. 28 yo stocky boi looking to lighten up I think.

For the record I will take them out of the box and put them on my board with no wacky mix match angle grinding bushing licking wackiness

Thanks !

luv chris

Indy hollows are definitely lighter, and grind better imo. There's a ton of Ace fans, but for me Indy's just work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11514 on: July 26, 2022, 04:04:44 PM »
AF1. Indy is a wack company IMO and the "Ride the best, fuck the rest" mentality promotes the corny jock side of skating I hate. They're not far off in terms of measurement and people seem to really love em. I don't know a dissatisfied rider in real life although Slappers comment about the AF1 grinds being wack although everyone I know on them loves the grind.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 04:42:06 PM by LebowskisRug »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11515 on: July 26, 2022, 04:08:50 PM »
Anyone who says the grind on Indys is bad is certifiable. Even the Indy haters acknowledge that they are the best in this category.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #11516 on: July 26, 2022, 07:26:40 PM »
Ace AF1 or Indy Hollows?

Thanks !

luv chris

I really don’t notice a difference in weight when skating tbh. You feel it when holding it but that’s about it (at least for me)

I’d say just keep skating your indys, Aces skate really similar to indys, and if your standards are still good the hollows won’t really do anything imo.

For what it’s worth though, I’ve skated indys and aces for years and I’m back on Thunders now, and for me they simply work best.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11517 on: July 26, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
I recently switched back to Thunders as well and concur- I skate the most consistently on them and really prefer the turn. The grind doesn't feel insanely different on the things I skate, but the Indy grind is the best on chunky stuff.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11518 on: July 26, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »
I recently switched back to Thunders as well and concur- I skate the most consistently on them and really prefer the turn. The grind doesn't feel insanely different on the things I skate, but the Indy grind is the best on chunky stuff.

I totally agree: indy grind is the best on the chunky stuff.
 And I don’t like indy as a staff, a record label…
Unless someone has some distinct preference, indys just work.

I skate much better on thunders as well. I like a lower truck.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #11519 on: July 26, 2022, 09:43:37 PM »
i put bones bushings in my thunders and they exploded after two sessions. felt great while they were in there. put some random bushings in they had at the shop (might be longboard ones) and they feel great. that experience put me off bones for now