Author Topic: Independent trucks and racist ideology  (Read 97506 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Re: Independent trucks and racist ideology
« Reply #570 on: August 01, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not to rehash a now moot point, but probably was a good move on Indy's part to move on from the Iron Cross. Whether or not it was originated from the WW2 era Iron Cross, they definitely embraced it on this shirt. From Chicago Blowout 1986.

[close]

I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before but I was in the “it’s just a cross” club. The Jolson salute ad was pretty damning tho.

Anyway, can’t defend it anymore after seeing that. Clear as day.
[close]

Same thing happened to me in another thread. I was of the “it’s just a stupid, edgy logo” crowd, until someone shared a video about an old 60s California surf and skate Nazi culture, and how their imagery and iconography ended up as an obvious influence for the nascent skate scene, including Indy.

Now it seems as if Indy is completely done with the cross, and every time they post anything without it, a bunch of extremely sensitive dudes complain about it. Apparently every time they fail to see an iron cross, they get angry.

I just took a look at the indy insta, and there are a bunch of dudes in their feelings about the cross. It’s funny because irl, it feels like most people, haven’t noticed or don’t care.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #571 on: August 01, 2021, 09:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not to rehash a now moot point, but probably was a good move on Indy's part to move on from the Iron Cross. Whether or not it was originated from the WW2 era Iron Cross, they definitely embraced it on this shirt. From Chicago Blowout 1986.

[close]

I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread before but I was in the “it’s just a cross” club. The Jolson salute ad was pretty damning tho.

Anyway, can’t defend it anymore after seeing that. Clear as day.
[close]

Same thing happened to me in another thread. I was of the “it’s just a stupid, edgy logo” crowd, until someone shared a video about an old 60s California surf and skate Nazi culture, and how their imagery and iconography ended up as an obvious influence for the nascent skate scene, including Indy.

Now it seems as if Indy is completely done with the cross, and every time they post anything without it, a bunch of extremely sensitive dudes complain about it. Apparently every time they fail to see an iron cross, they get angry.
[close]

I just took a look at the indy insta, and there are a bunch of dudes in their feelings about the cross. It’s funny because irl, it feels like most people, haven’t noticed or don’t care.

They dropped a bunch of merch designed by Sebo Walker and the comments about the lack of an iron cross were insane. Like did you expect the Portland-based pro skater turned novelist to draw a bunch of that shit?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #572 on: August 01, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow, that's about as clear as you could ask for.  Good research. 

Cab is a Nazi and Max Schaff hates him?
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #573 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:25 AM »

stringsnthings

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #574 on: August 01, 2021, 06:39:54 PM »

its 2021 and 20 pages in people are still tripping over a fucking shape good times.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2021, 02:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow, that's about as clear as you could ask for.  Good research. 

[close]

Cab is a Nazi and Max Schaff hates him?
hahaha
this is quite funny. actually cab posted an indy cross a while back and some people in the comments were like, "um, you do realize they don't use that anymore right?" and he was like, "I'm zany like that" or something similar... seems like a weird thing to do, then again Cab probably shouldn't be allowed on insta without a personal advisor

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

skatred

• Rep: 3
« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2021, 02:36:17 AM »
seems like a weird thing to do, then again Cab probably shouldn't be allowed on insta without a personal advisor

Cab has Jesus as an advisor
Nobody fades The Muska

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2021, 02:42:08 AM »
Expand Quote
seems like a weird thing to do, then again Cab probably shouldn't be allowed on insta without a personal advisor
[close]

Jesus died for Cab’s sins, not mine!

gabbesucks

« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2021, 02:50:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdak3wunX8E

conqueso

« Reply #579 on: August 02, 2021, 06:15:46 AM »
actually jesus reached out to christian hosoi at the dew tour and told him to bless cab with the power of god

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: August 02, 2021, 06:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdak3wunX8E
He hangs in drip delight upon his Indy
cross, above my body. Christ forgive. FORGIVE? I half-cab for you Jesu
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:18:36 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #581 on: August 02, 2021, 06:37:31 AM »
I would love to find out that all these guys that switched to Ace, was because of Indy dropping the logo.

I don't think that is it at all, but it would make me laugh.

I actually preferred the baseplates without the logo (plus, preferred those older stages anyway!). And I don't really care about the gear, because I don't really wear "skate clothes" anymore regardless. I've got a couple of h00dies and 1 DLXSF tee.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #582 on: August 02, 2021, 06:59:52 AM »
I grew up skating Indys. At no time did I think they were a racist with their logos. Neither did the team riders who were of color. Everyone who was on the team was stoked because when Indy arrived on the scene, they were the best. Their tactics were very punk getting the riders they wanted. Pre-Rocco industry shake up, they broke all the rules. Keep in mind, the 80's were a crazy time period for skating and the punk scene. I grew up in small towns and experienced racism on a grand scale. The locals hated skaters. At no point did I get a pass from the racist twats because I wore a skateboarding shirt with an iron cross on it. If anything it was a target on my back because at the time, only skateboarders wore skate clothing. In this currant era the abuse I endured because I skated would be criminal. Now, by saying that I wouldn't change a thing. It made me the person I am today and it made me wear the clothing people hated with a since of pride. Fuck you, yes I skate and you hate me for it and I prefer it that way. All skate clothing, not just Independent shirts.

I never ever heard that Indy had a "racist ideology" really until the last few years. Not from any of the multicultural team riders, which that would be apparent if they did. I also get why turds that didn't skate started wearing the tees, that shit looked tough. Which seeing some tough guy with tribal sleeve tats rocking an Indy tee was very lame. In the end, our culture is cool and outsiders will always be attracted to "skate fashion" even if we hate it.

I personally being a fan of how the actual trucks ride and not being concerned about logos, am cool with them changing their logo. Times change, roll with it. All the old kooks who barely skate and are up in arms about their sacred cross being left in the past, get over it. Their "I used to skate" wardrobe will be fine. To wrap it up, never thought the logo was racist, got my ass kicked many times for wearing it by redneck goons, and am fine with the new logo. My Indys will turn and grind the same way they have since the mid 80s.

Johnny Lawrence

• Rep: 39
  • No Mercy
« Reply #583 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:07 AM »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #585 on: August 02, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Companies coming out of 70s California were not surprisingly big on Nazi imagery- 70s and 80s CA was nazi land. Vans manages to not put nazi logos on everything (yes I know about the TNT shoes with Indy logos on them) while still maintaining some history so it can be done. Anyway Indy should move on. Replace their logo with a screaming foot or something
[close]

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel like the association to JJ alone makes the logo appear to be in poor taste. Doesn't really seem worth it keeping an outdated symbol.
[close]
Thanks and for the record I’m not say no one ride Indys- I... ride Indys. Just think it’s time to move on to another logo.
[close]

I've been riding indy since my start as well. I truly just dont get whats so controversial for these old heads to move on from that logo though? I remember looking at their comments a few days ago and any discussion about the logo was met with a bunch of dorks saying "STOP BEING SENSITIVE"

u know shits wack as fuck when the main people arguing with you are 40 year old men who wear cargo shorts lol
[close]
Right? Who gets all attached to something like a logo? I just want durable trucks that turn well. Replace it with a pink bunny for all I care I’ll still ride them.
[close]

If it doesn't matter then why change it? It's not racist.
[close]
Because I don’t give a shit if it’s a logo I think is silly but I do give a shit about looking like a Nazi. I never said it’s racist (it came out of a time of rampant racism and it reminds me of that era) nor did I say I’d boycott, I just said I’d prefer if they change it.
[close]

Fair enough. People can just switch to ace too. Great trucks and they deserve our business.

Agreed. Ace are great trucks and Joey T is a solid Habibi. Give them your money. Inshallah.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #586 on: August 02, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »
I’d like to try a pair of Aces but I don’t think I’ll ever skate a pair of trucks that feel as good as Indy hollows.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Johnny Lawrence

• Rep: 39
  • No Mercy
« Reply #587 on: August 04, 2021, 12:46:31 PM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: August 04, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
I’d like to try a pair of Aces but I don’t think I’ll ever skate a pair of trucks that feel as good as Indy hollows.

Not to nitpick, but I think he's an Armenian Christian, which would put him traditionally at odds with Arabs (not that I think he harbors any bigotry).

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
« Reply #589 on: October 14, 2021, 08:04:53 AM »
Got a sticker pack from Indy, tried a couple new ones on my Welcome deck and it still rolls good. Seems to get along fine with the older cross sticker from my pack of bolts.
Also, I always wear a traditional cross--not the Indy one, but the common lowercase-t-shaped cross that's in churches--because I'm super into capital punishment. It gets on my nerves that people see it and think I'm Christian--the cross obviously existed and had a meaning before they nailed Jesus to it. People should learn history and not assume my beliefs based on a symbol. I used to wear a noose shirt too, also in support of capital punishment, obviously, nothing to do with race, but people kept refusing to hear me out about ropes with knots existing as a tool for justice before the slave trade. It's like historical and current cultural context doesn't respect my personal reasons for wearing those images and it's not fair. I just like capital punishment, I swear.

mushroom slice

« Reply #590 on: October 14, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
Got a sticker pack from Indy, tried a couple new ones on my Welcome deck and it still rolls good. Seems to get along fine with the older cross sticker from my pack of bolts.
Also, I always wear a traditional cross--not the Indy one, but the common lowercase-t-shaped cross that's in churches--because I'm super into capital punishment. It gets on my nerves that people see it and think I'm Christian--the cross obviously existed and had a meaning before they nailed Jesus to it. People should learn history and not assume my beliefs based on a symbol. I used to wear a noose shirt too, also in support of capital punishment, obviously, nothing to do with race, but people kept refusing to hear me out about ropes with knots existing as a tool for justice before the slave trade. It's like historical and current cultural context doesn't respect my personal reasons for wearing those images and it's not fair. I just like capital punishment, I swear.
Bro. I had to tap my blunt out after reading this.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Independent trucks and death penalty ideology
« Reply #591 on: October 14, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »

I'm not Christian, i'm not racist, i just like to hang people for no valid reason

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #592 on: October 14, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »

I'm not Christian, i'm not racist, i just like to hang people for no valid reason

Not sure if you got the allegory, but read the next to last sentence if you took my post literally--I think the sarcasm is too on-the-surface to have to type "/s" like this was Reddit. I got the idea from an old Bill Hicks bit comparing the Christian cross to wearing a gold sniper rifle necklace because you're a fan of John F. Kennedy.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #593 on: October 14, 2021, 08:59:23 AM »
actually jesus reached out to christian hosoi at the dew tour and told him to bless cab with the power of god

I thought the same. But it turned out, that was actually Adam Dyet asking Hosoi for some white powder.
IG: @flowterspace

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #594 on: October 14, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »
i’m sure this already known, but the comments on any and every indy post is beyond hilarious

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 11
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #595 on: October 14, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
I feel like the Indy logo got morphed into something worse when non-skaters started adopting it. You started seeing a bunch of religious folks create a bunch of cheesy t-shirts and stickers ripping off the logo. I feel like the Indy cross is similar to Fred Perry shirts. A bunch of douchey people started adopting it and it turned into a symbol that they had not intended.

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #596 on: October 14, 2021, 09:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure if you got the allegory, but read the next to last sentence if you took my post literally--I think the sarcasm is too on-the-surface to have to type "/s" like this was Reddit. I got the idea from an old Bill Hicks bit comparing the Christian cross to wearing a gold sniper rifle necklace because you're a fan of John F. Kennedy.

I really don't want anyone to take my post literally so, because there are people in this world who actually are stupid enough to wear crosses because they are pro-execution,  I added "It's like historical and current cultural context doesn't respect my personal reasons for wearing those images and it's not fair" to make it clear (I thought) that I'm making fun of people who act like the general public doesn't see the Indy logo as racist even though that wasn't its creator's intention. I'm making fun of people who argue with closed-circuit-loop logic which ignores all context and outside perspective. I graduated HS in 2003 in rural Kentucky and a lot of us didn't wear the Indy cross back then because racist rednecks all thought it was some KKK shit. Reading this thread, it's pretty obvious that a lot of us have experience with people thinking the Indy cross is a white power symbol. I have the little cross logo sticker on the bottom of my deck because I know that nobody who sees the bottom of my skateboard will think it's a racist symbol, but I've never worn the Indy cross on a shirt because it's been obvious to me since I was a kid that most people (at least where I'm from) see it and think it's a white power symbol. It doesn't matter that they're technically incorrect because they're not familiar with that symbol in any other context (i.e. they have no idea what "skateboard trucks" are), so to wear it where I'm from is to be cool with being associated with the most horrible groups of people in our country. It's just obvious that if you're from the rural south you do not wear the Indy logo unless you don't mind being associated with the KKK, but I understand that it's not that way everywhere. Just please don't think I'm actually out here wearing crosses and nooses supporting the death penalty. 

IpathCats

« Reply #597 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »

I'm on the side of "if you dont like it, just don't support it", I'm sure there is SOME credence to SOME of the symbolism and SOME of the riders being hateful, but I don't really believe indy is a racist org from the top down, there's just too many people involved that don't fit that story.

That being said, the quoted post was fucking hilarious.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:28 AM »
i’m sure this already known, but the comments on any and every indy post is beyond hilarious

Grown men are really, *really* upset that their favorite company has a different logo now

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #599 on: October 14, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »
All the old guys that comment “Bring back the cross!” On every Indy insta post should get those new Krux trucks that say RACISM on the hangar. They probably don’t skate anyway so the RACISM will stay in tact and be more to the point than the cross was.