Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75373 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #390 on: November 13, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
I want a mid indy with a normal kingpin. I basically just want stage 10s.

Venture hi. Sorta. Height and turning is similar in a non scientific/complete bullshit me just ‘remembering’ how stage 10s felt. May have to adjust for wheelbase. I’ve repeated this an obnoxious amount of times, but: if I’m skating regular sized for me board 7.75-8 I don’t need to make any special concessions for equipment. Once I start fucking with 8.5 trucks tho....indy 149s are less difficult for me to integrate than 5.8s (5.8s are for non wimps). A long confusing way for me to say that I find ventures to ‘run slightly larger’. If that makes sense. Which it probably won’t.

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #391 on: November 13, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »

Echoing other folks, bought these mainly to swap with existing stuff.
Here's the results....
Stage XI hollow 144 hangers with new Indy inverted KP baseplates. (54mm tall + 364 grams)
New mid 144 hangers with forged hollow baseplates. (49mm tall + 356 grams)
Both sets with Bones hards on back + meds on front. All nuts flush/a hair past nylock.

Correct bushing hardness with the inverted baseplates is a MUST. Especially if swapping to krux, which has slightly fewer threads than the indy kingpin. The nut embedded in the new indy baseplate def. has more threads than a reg kingpin nut, causing any kingpin to stop turning if cranked down beyond a certain point. (not going to attempt any madness of tooling extra threads on a krux kingpin, for 8 grams of weight savings)

After several sessions at the park, LOVE the hollow hanger/inverted baseplate. Great KP clearance, good pop right off the bat, and that smooth Indy feel. I'm used to stage VIIs so the height + weight was not an issue.

Will be trying out the mid hanger/forged baseplate next. Thinking of setting them up on a 8.3-8.5 football shape w/ some small wheels for a little low + wide early 90s action.

keep rollin' slap pals....

This post got me so stoked. You guys are fucked in the head with all these slight changes. I love it.

RapaciousFellator

• Rep: 15
« Reply #392 on: November 13, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »

Does anyone know if you can just flip the inverted king pin on the mids so that the nut is on top?

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #393 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does anyone know if you can just flip the inverted king pin on the mids so that the nut is on top?

the nut in the baseplate is pretty locked in there

9053UR

• Rep: 0
« Reply #394 on: November 14, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Won't work, the nut isn't a standard one, it's like a sleeve. Indy has pics of an exploded diagram showing all the pieces.

RapaciousFellator

« Reply #395 on: November 14, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Won't work, the nut isn't a standard one, it's like a sleeve. Indy has pics of an exploded diagram showing all the pieces.

True, but I'm more concerned if the inverted end will fit in the baseplate, I can always use a nut from another pair of trucks.

9053UR

• Rep: 0
« Reply #396 on: November 14, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
Refer to Xen's post on page 10, if you remove that sleeve, you'll be left with a gap to fill when if you want to run a regular kingpin. Not even worth the effort.

It's a sleeve, just look at the top of the base plate; it appears that the nut is attached to this sleeve(? I have no way to tell and don't feel like banging it out and fucking up the truck); nut doesn't spin and it doesn't fall out when you dismantle it.

Good luck A) getting it out and B) getting it into another plate, not gonna happen. It's in there tight, doesn't fall out/zero wiggle. Got to admit it's nice to have a baseplate that works with no risk of the nut falling out (no clue how film does it)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.msg3353649#msg3353649

RapaciousFellator

« Reply #397 on: November 14, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
Refer to Xen's post on page 10, if you remove that sleeve, you'll be left with a gap to fill when if you want to run a regular kingpin. Not even worth the effort.

Expand Quote

It's a sleeve, just look at the top of the base plate; it appears that the nut is attached to this sleeve(? I have no way to tell and don't feel like banging it out and fucking up the truck); nut doesn't spin and it doesn't fall out when you dismantle it.

Good luck A) getting it out and B) getting it into another plate, not gonna happen. It's in there tight, doesn't fall out/zero wiggle. Got to admit it's nice to have a baseplate that works with no risk of the nut falling out (no clue how film does it)

[close]

Oh shit, I had no idea that it actually went all the way through the baseplate, thanks.

I bought these trucks and skated them today and I find them unskateable. The kingpin clearance is pretty bad, and on top of that if the kingpin touches on any grind you're gonna stick hard. I can normally smith grind ledges and rails consistently especially with new trucks, I stuck almost on every attempt.

I think I'm gonna try and put a low kingpin in my old forged indy baseplates and try the mid hangers on that. I was pretty excited to have lower Indy's again, but am terribly disappointed with these.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #398 on: November 15, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Oh shit, I had no idea that it actually went all the way through the baseplate, thanks.

I bought these trucks and skated them today and I find them unskateable. The kingpin clearance is pretty bad, and on top of that if the kingpin touches on any grind you're gonna stick hard. I can normally smith grind ledges and rails consistently especially with new trucks, I stuck almost on every attempt.

I think I'm gonna try and put a low kingpin in my old forged indy baseplates and try the mid hangers on that. I was pretty excited to have lower Indy's again, but am terribly disappointed with these.

How did you like the height of these compared to the forged? I had forged Ti before but the 53.5 felt a bit tall, I liked the mids height but the kingpin sucks

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2020, 06:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

How did you like the height of these compared to the forged? I had forged Ti before but the 53.5 felt a bit tall, I liked the mids height but the kingpin sucks

Do yourself a favor and get ahold of some stage 10's, then take a forged stage 11 baseplate and put the stage 10 hanger on there. Add Bones bushings and treat your feet to some good feelings. 51.5 height, nice and light with the hollow kingpin and a decent turning radius.

RapaciousFellator

« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2020, 06:55:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Forged titanium 149s might've been my favorite Indy's I have skated. However, my flip tricks have improved since switching to the mids, could be more to do with going from 149 to 144, but who knows.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2020, 10:00:04 AM »
Just rock the mid hanger on a forged plate. 51mm ish and lighter.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get ahold of some stage 10's, then take a forged stage 11 baseplate and put the stage 10 hanger on there. Add Bones bushings and treat your feet to some good feelings. 51.5 height, nice and light with the hollow kingpin and a decent turning radius.

Yesterday I picked up a $25 craigslist board with Stage 10 149s.  I need to try some other bushings because the turn wasn't great.  I messed around last night on these, some stage 7s and stage 11 ti with bones..   Like the turn of the stage 11s best.

I have stage 6s with Bones on my cruiser board.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2020, 09:36:18 PM »
no wheelbase measurements? for shame slap, for shame
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »
no wheelbase measurements? for shame slap, for shame

Hah, I didn't bother, I can tell you (and I think it's my big post on them) that side by side you can tell they are more forward/inward facing that forged, thereby tightening it up even further than usual.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #405 on: January 07, 2021, 06:43:46 AM »
Anyone else spend any time with these? That Ron Whaley video made me curious.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »

Seconded.

RapaciousFellator

« Reply #407 on: January 07, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »

What Ron Whaley video, can you link it?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #408 on: January 07, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #409 on: January 07, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »
Just watched this AM. Doesn’t really peak my interest in the Indy mids but just my own set up/gear/wheel size/quick pop

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #410 on: January 09, 2021, 07:32:11 AM »
Skated them for few months, now moved on a bigger board. Had soft conical bushings on them.

They are good truck, but to me it didn't feel that much different than normal Indys. They do get that inverted kingpin rattle feel pretty easily but i like it. Didn't also notice weight being any different although i tend to like my setups feeling heavy anyway. That being said I would say that until the HF/Titanium version comes there isn't that much reason to get these over standards. They are cool truck, but ain't really that different

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #411 on: January 09, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
Might just be me, but it seems that anyone who wants that bigger board feel with more tech smaller wheel / not a high setup and is not concerned with weight is going to benefit more from these, especially in the 159 type range.

Pretty cool how many modifications there have been though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »
So when mixing a standard hi Indy hanger with the MiD baseplate, when using a proper height bottom bushing, lets say a stock or aftermarket Indy, people are saying the Krux kingpin/Indy MiD kingpin doesn't have enough threads to hit the nylock at the end of the nut inside the baseplate? Only the Kreper kingpin is the solution? Just want to clarify because I am still curious about trying this set-up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2021, 03:54:19 PM »
So when mixing a standard hi Indy hanger with the MiD baseplate, when using a proper height bottom bushing, lets say a stock or aftermarket Indy, people are saying the Krux kingpin/Indy MiD kingpin doesn't have enough threads to hit the nylock at the end of the nut inside the baseplate? Only the Kreper kingpin is the solution? Just want to clarify because I am still curious about trying this set-up.

Go to page one, you can see my post where I have a MID plate and Ti Hanger (same as a standard hanger); I had no issues getting the krux or indy pin to catch threads using stock bushings.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #414 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:05 PM »
Switched over from a long venture low kick. These feel good so far.  The bushings are starting to feel good after the first session. Also the pivot cup came lubed (sweet). Im riding them on a
DOA flat 8.0
144 indy mids
Spitfire 51 mm classic, classic formula.

First session sucked. Wheel bite up and down. Busings felt too wobbly. My kickflips were gone. But what gave me hope was getting my fs flips good.

Today they felt amazing. Less wheelbite and got my kf back. Bushings break in so nicely.
Feels good.

Reminds me of two boards i had.
Rowley sprint devil stage seven indys
And cholate chico with stage 8
The turning and pop feel like it did back then.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2021, 12:29:04 PM »
This hex/allen kingpin with a washer under... barely looks any lower than a regular kingpin nut ground down?

Certainly looks inferior to the grind king/kreper, krux solutions despite the marketing

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
This hex/allen kingpin with a washer under... barely looks any lower than a regular kingpin nut ground down?

Certainly looks inferior to the grind king/kreper, krux solutions despite the marketing

Exactly  ;)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #417 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
Switched over from a long venture low kick. These feel good so far.  The bushings are starting to feel good after the first session. Also the pivot cup came lubed (sweet). Im riding them on a
DOA flat 8.0
144 indy mids

First session sucked. Wheel bite up and down. Busings felt too wobbly. My kickflips were gone. But what gave me hope was getting my fs flips good.

Today they felt amazing. Less wheelbite and got my kf back. Bushings break in so nicely.
Feels good.

Are you a crooked grinder? How is the pinch?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
Expand Quote
DOA flat 8.0
144 indy mids

Feels good.

[close]

Been refreshing this page too much, this stage 7 and 8 talk got me real thirsty

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #419 on: January 25, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
DOA flat 8.0
144 indy mids

Feels good.

[close]

They seem to pinch ok.
It's been raining here so i have not gone to a ledge but they pinch the parking block in my garage fine.

I'll try to skate a ledge tomorrow morning and report back.