Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221055 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7140 on: December 17, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve always felt like Indy’s were the closest, most of the time, to a truck for everything, for me, but never felt ‘the best’. Couldn’t put my finger on why I’d like other trucks more, but then revert (damn it) back to Independents. The image, fans of the brand, marketing, all very rough. Hurtful even.

I think I like Indy’s on 14.25”. I like wider boards, now. If I’m doing this right, and I want to ride ventures, than I look for boards 14” wb and below? Skated ventures for years, of and on, but always smaller boards 8” and under.

Skating thunders, like them a lot actually, should probably just stick with, one of the main reasons for something different: bigger wheels.

Fingers of flat? Not exactly the correct thread, but is it that more fingers of flat are better with the thunder/venture style? And steeper boards better with Indy/ace?

I’ve tried so many different combos. Never fully developed preferences or stuck with a consistent set up. It’s always been fun to try different stuff. Agnostic

Cheers to those that have contributed mightily to this thread. Interesting to hear the choices people make and their context.
[close]

Fingers of flat seems to be preference really, even if the Schmitt theory is more fingers = more finesse and fewer = more power (I can't say that more fingers = more finesse because I am loose/sloppy as fuck but from a personal pov, I can say that fewer fingers and a steeper tail definitely has more pop for me than a board with lots of flat).

What is the 'standard' for finesse, that's what I don't understand. Flip tricks in and out? Technical precision? If so that would mean shorter WB, say what you will, a shorter WB flips easier than a long one.

As for trucks, I don't feel trucks have much of an effect on this on their own per say, but DO in conjunction with wheelbase, e.g., let's say you like finesse (more fingers of flat), lots of boards with more fingers of flat seem to have shorter WBs on average (primitive is the best example), say 14" or 14.1x" so riding a thunder or venture pushes that out to 14.2x

My ghetto rule of thumb is:

8.25" is the standard WB, it's seemingly the most commonly used WB across all brands. Then take a roughly .25" +/- depending on brand, away from that:

14.25" WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.x" WB

14.25" WB + Thunder/Venture/Tensor = 14.3x+ WB

14.3/4/5 WB + Indy/AVE/Theeve = 14.2x WB

14/14.1/14.125 + Thunder/Venture/Tensor = 14.2x WB

Over time I've managed to distill it down to preferring a 14.3x or 14.4x" vs a shrunken one (DLX and NHS make lots of 14.353/14.44/14.38 wheelbases) somewhere over 14.25, but under 14.5

Aaaaannnd, ollies...I can ollie high on anything but prefer short boards/tails with Thunders (or Tensor ATGs which feel like Thunders but taller) on a 14.25" WB :P

5'10" / 31" inseam if that fucking matters at all.
[close]

Lots of information: much much thanks! This is dope
[close]
What the fuck? The wheelbase of a deck is measured from bolt hole to bolt hole. No truck is going to subtract a wheelbase measurement.

For this logic to “work”, you’d need to have a standard to compare all others to. I feel like it’d be much easier to compare actual wheelbases. This would require a tape measure however or knowledge of how much a truck adds to the wheelbase. Maybe someone should make a table. And a simple way to calculate what kind of a board you might like with Thunders if you normally ride Aces and so forth. It’s not really that simple though as there’s much more to how trucks perform than just wheelbase. 🤔

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7141 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:26 AM »

For this logic to “work”, you’d need to have a standard to compare all others to. I feel like it’d be much easier to compare actual wheelbases. This would require a tape measure however or knowledge of how much a truck adds to the wheelbase. Maybe someone should make a table. And a simple way to calculate what kind of a board you might like with Thunders if you normally ride Aces and so forth. It’s not really that simple though as there’s much more to how trucks perform than just wheelbase. 🤔

As you said, a measurement table would help but at the end of the day the amount of variables that change are more than just axle to axle wb with a truck change. If you ride Indy's on 14.25 wb, you can achieve the same axle to axle wb with Aces on a 14.5 wb. But that's the only measurement that will line up. Your tail is still gonna hit earlier and with less effort on Aces, the nose will feel lighter (paradoxically despite Aces being heavier). The placement of your popping foot will have to change to achieve the same pop feel as your Indy's, but that could throw off your front foot placement in the process. Or how levelled out your tricks are. Or manuals... The variables are endless.

TLDR: You will absolutely drive yourself up the wall trying to get specs and feel to match up between different truck brands. I did for a while, not fun.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7142 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As you said, a measurement table would help but at the end of the day the amount of variables that change are more than just axle to axle wb with a truck change. If you ride Indy's on 14.25 wb, you can achieve the same axle to axle wb with Aces on a 14.5 wb. But that's the only measurement that will line up. Your tail is still gonna hit earlier and with less effort on Aces, the nose will feel lighter (paradoxically despite Aces being heavier). The placement of your popping foot will have to change to achieve the same pop feel as your Indy's, but that could throw off your front foot placement in the process. Or how levelled out your tricks are. Or manuals... The variables are endless.

TLDR: You will absolutely drive yourself up the wall trying to get specs and feel to match up between different truck brands. I did for a while, not fun.

Yes, you are very much correct. Would be interesting to take it further though. Measuring the forces needed to lift the tail between various trucks and distances of the tail to the ground and things like that. Unfortunately I only have Aces, Ventures and Thunders and none of them are fresh anymore so if I’d start testing this shit, it’d not be very comprehensive. Problem with this kind of testing is that it should all be done with a standardized board between all trucks and that’s not very easy unless the tests are all performed at the same location. Could also test forces needed to make the trucks flop to either side by however many degrees and how that affects the turning radius and what the max turning radii are. Shit like that.  :D If I’d work at a skate shop with a big ass selection I’d go all in on this shit!  :D

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #7143 on: December 17, 2019, 01:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Im literally going through this rn but the only reason is that I got fucked over by buying a weekend board with a 14 ³/₁₆  Wheelbase and I’m an Indy guy so I found with the steep kicks and it sucking my wheelbase up to under 14” it makes it awfully hard to get used to or get most of my tricks back consistently or even acceptable my my own standards..so I’ve got a pair of aces which are the same whe it comes to WB as indys pretty much, and I’ve got a a couple different boards to choose from ( ZERO 8.5” w/ a 14.5” WB @ 32 ¼” length) , ( the wknd board I stated above that’s 8.5” w/ a 14  ³/₁₆ WB @ 32.75” length) , ( Local shop [Granduer] board  8.38” w/ 14.38” WB @ 32x” length) , and last and somewhat least as it’s fairly old compared to the others is a ( Baker 8.475” w/ 14.25” WB @ 31.5” length) my overall question is which of the following would match best with my new aces for a similar pop feel as indy?
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #7144 on: December 17, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Im literally going through this rn but the only reason is that I got fucked over by buying a weekend board with a 14 ³/₁₆  Wheelbase and I’m an Indy guy so I found with the steep kicks and it sucking my wheelbase up to under 14” it makes it awfully hard to get used to or get most of my tricks back consistently or even acceptable my my own standards..so I’ve got a pair of aces which are the same whe it comes to WB as indys pretty much, and I’ve got a a couple different boards to choose from ( ZERO 8.5” w/ a 14.5” WB @ 32 ¼” length) , ( the wknd board I stated above that’s 8.5” w/ a 14  ³/₁₆ WB @ 32.75” length) , ( Local shop [Granduer] board  8.38” w/ 14.38” WB @ 32x” length) , and last and somewhat least as it’s fairly old compared to the others is a ( Baker 8.475” w/ 14.25” WB @ 31.5” length) my overall question is which of the following would match best with my new aces for a similar pop feel as indy?

I’m not the correct person to point this out, but I think your wheelbase is 14 3/16 + 2.5” for ace, wb + 3” for Indy. Your true wb that is, axle to axle. I’m not sure where you are getting your sub 14” measurement from. To be clear, only trying to understand, not insult. Palelight (I think) did some solid work with different truck brands on 14.25 wheelbase. Few pages back.
What wb do you normally ride.
Are you currently on Indy’s?
Some short and steep boards are squirrelly for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7145 on: December 17, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
It sounds complicated but it isn't  ???

Ventures push out the furthest, followed by Thunder/Tensor (I swear they feel just like Thunders but taller and with a longer baseplate).

Ace, Indy, Theeve, ML all tuck it in.

Find a board / truck combo you like/skated well on and measure the wheel base, then look at your fingers of flat.

Track how well certain combos worked with your skating...how were your tres, ollies and whatever?

For me DLX is easy to track:

The 8.18 with the 14.38" WB, I prefer Indys or ACE (shortening it up a bit), especially for that width. BTW, DLX, what happened to the 8.18" FULL? DlX anything 14.25 feels best to me with Thunders (or trucks that push out the WB a bit).

I'm skating the DLX 8.28"x31.65" with the 14.1" WB with Ventures or Tensors and if feels fine, kinda prefer it with Tensors tho even tho axle to axle on that board the Tensors/ventures were super close with Ventures just under 2mm longer.

It's got a short steep tail (it's a IV on the DLX press) and close to no fingers of flat (maybe one?) so the taller Tensors feel poppier to me. I forgot how great this shape was bit it never worked for me as each time I rode it with Indys as that was what I was into; never occurred to me to stretch out the WB back then with thunders; I just went oh, the short WB is the reason it sucks (Like those 8.37 eagles with the 14" WB).

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7146 on: December 17, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As Ok pointed out, your actual wb (axle to axle), would be, with that WKND board and Indy’s, 17 3/16” (I’ll again plug my own post for a reference on how to get this measurement, https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039 )

As for your overall question, not easy to answer. Or at least not an easy formula. Think of it like this,

Those three points, and the space between the points, are going to dictate a lot (but not all, as there’s still things like overall length, nose + truck weight etc.) about how your board feels when you pop.

Say you have a reliable setup you like, consider that your control, a standard DLX 8.5 and Indy 149’s, you get bored and throw Thunders on there. You like the way they turn but nothing else works right. Your truck is now 3/16” to a 1/4” closer to the tip of the tail. The overall height is lower. All those points in the pic above are shifted. You’d have to alter, pretty radically, the other measurements to get back to what your Indy’s felt like on the same deck with Thunders, probably some combination of a). tail length (longer), b).  tail steepness (mellower) c). wheel size (smaller..maybe), d). foot placement (moved closer to the pocket rather than tip), or e). fingers of flat behind bolts (more). Of course, this probably now means your board is longer, or your wheels and overall height smaller/lower, or your back foot is super tucked in possibly causing you to feel unbalanced on other stuff than a straight ollie.

Unfortunately there’s not going to be a specific formula to get there without taking all those things - wheel diameter, tail angle, tail length, fingers of flat, truck height, your personal foot placement on the tail - into account.

To me, not worth it to go through the mental hurricane of reconfiguring all of that for a deck that will be dusted soon enough. Fight the madness where/when possible. If you have those decks lying around, probably easier to just set them up one at a time and see if any combo clicks. It’ll be a truer test than figuring it all out on paper.

Diocletian

« Reply #7147 on: December 17, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
This thread is getting disturbing.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7148 on: December 17, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
This thread is getting disturbing.

I promise, my nerdy is trying to tamp down the crazy.

Live Fast Johnny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7149 on: December 17, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Been on Thunder 149's forever and want to change it up and quit wheelbiting so much.  I ride 8.25 square shapes and can't decide between 44's and 5.6's.  I usually run medium (not too tight, not too loose) and skate flat and manual pads mostly.  Thoughts?
[close]

Ventures are closer to Thunders in feeling and wheelbase. They're really hard to wheelbite too but so are Aces. Thunders maybe turn better than Ventures but if you're not running your Thunders loose I think Ventures turn pretty similar if you run them a tad looser. Ventures are quite stable in the middle while Aces are not. Aces turn very easily in the middle and have a really deep turn. Ventures turn fine but it's not a very deep turn. It all depends on what exactly you're looking for in trucks. But from reading your post I'd say Ventures. Ventures also have a magical pop that I cannot explain. It's very nice.

Thank you Roisto and others for the feedback.  Will be grabbing some Ventures ASAP.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7150 on: December 17, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Gosh I love this thread.

For me I found my perfect combinations by going back to not giving a fuck about any of it, buying what looked cool, settling on what felt the best, and then getting measurements.  Now I have two different set-ups that feel great.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7151 on: December 17, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
It's all these things which lead me to believe someone setting up indys on a generator board is the correct answer and why so many people do this......

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7152 on: December 17, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
How do you guys feel about the ti forged indys?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7153 on: December 17, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
It's all these things which lead me to believe someone setting up indys on a generator board is the correct answer and why so many people do this......

Yup. Despite my trigonometry horseshit, it comes down to "x," which is, "how does it feel to you?" You can run all the specs and numbers you want but sometimes something clicks or feels right and no amount of math in that equation is going to solve for x.   

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7154 on: December 17, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7155 on: December 17, 2019, 07:48:51 PM »
Every once in awhile this thread needs a reset and it goes something like this:

Find some trucks you are OK with, then:

Grind
Turn
Grind some more
They will get better with age
Keep Grinding
Keep turning
One more grind

Until the wheels fall off and then worry about what trucks you'll replace them with....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7156 on: December 17, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
Apologies for killing the truck thread.

I did a shitty job of communicating my point. Which I guess is this, fighting specs and numbers looking to make an Ace feel like a Venture (or some other combo) will drive you to tears and leave your pockets emptier. Ride what feels right to you.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7157 on: December 17, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
Crazy madness happening right now, have had a set of V-Lights 5.8 for a while now and haven't set them up in fear I'll hate them. Anyone have any experience skating Ventures in tranny? I'm injured otherwise I would just set them up and skate. I want to feel this magical pop others speak about but I skate 75% transition so I'm not sure its worth the switch from my Aces/Indys.

Or would I be better trying out Thunders? I skate 56mm and know they have wheelbite issues.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:04:58 PM by texasplant »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7158 on: December 17, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
with bigger wheels if I was going for a tight tech truck I'd go with ventures. looking at the pair of 5.8s I have now I can see 56mm conical fulls going great. I have 52mm conical fulls on mine now and am nowhere close to getting wheelbase, board tips over.

or I'd just stick with indy/ace if you like the turny feel, these things don't feel super turny to me, and when I try I dont like it. I like them the way they are though, even though I usually like my trucks super loose. trying to get a little more tech because loose trucks doing my go-tos is getting kinda stale.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7159 on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
with bigger wheels if I was going for a tight tech truck I'd go with ventures. looking at the pair of 5.8s I have now I can see 56mm conical fulls going great. I have 52mm conical fulls on mine now and am nowhere close to getting wheelbase, board tips over.

or I'd just stick with indy/ace if you like the turny feel, these things don't feel super turny to me, and when I try I dont like it. I like them the way they are though, even though I usually like my trucks super loose. trying to get a little more tech because loose trucks doing my go-tos is getting kinda stale.

This is exactly how I feel. I’ve never really spent much time doing tech stuff, I literally don’t do anything except a kickflip and smith grind here or there. Been recovering for a few months from surgery and I’ve been watching a wider range of videos getting me hyped on tech stuff even though I’m fucking useless at it.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7160 on: December 18, 2019, 03:32:42 AM »
Ride what feels right to you.
Specially this and don't be scared to be of the big 3 wagon to find it. I did it and I'm super stoked.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

nachodaddy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7161 on: December 18, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
I’m riding Venture 5.2’s with a 7.875 deck, but I’m wanting to size down to 7.75 and go back to thunders. Would y’all recommend 145’s or 147’s?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7162 on: December 18, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
How do you guys feel about the ti forged indys?

I have some now I’m pretty sure they are the China ones. But I’m enjoying them so far. I can’t say if they are worth the extra money or not. I skate 149s and was coming of thunders so I was trying get the same weight.  I can say I’m skating the Indy’s looser and getting less wheelbite than I was with thunders.

Also palelight and everyone that’s posting in depth nerdery. I honestly really appreciate and find it helpful. Don’t stop being crazy scientists.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7163 on: December 18, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
Crazy madness happening right now, have had a set of V-Lights 5.8 for a while now and haven't set them up in fear I'll hate them. Anyone have any experience skating Ventures in tranny? I'm injured otherwise I would just set them up and skate. I want to feel this magical pop others speak about but I skate 75% transition so I'm not sure its worth the switch from my Aces/Indys.

Or would I be better trying out Thunders? I skate 56mm and know they have wheelbite issues.

Pipe or bowls? Park 'transition' as in flow and different tranny sized obstacles?

At 75% transition Ventures are not what you are looking for. They can work but you will miss that indy/ace feeling.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7164 on: December 18, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ZERO 8.5” w/ a 14.5” WB @ 32 ¼” length

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #7165 on: December 18, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
I’m riding Venture 5.2’s with a 7.875 deck, but I’m wanting to size down to 7.75 and go back to thunders. Would y’all recommend 145’s or 147’s?

I just can’t get over the look of sub 8” trucks, but they flip quick, turn sharp.

Forged anything feels wack to me right now, so ti Indy’s is probably not like (skated the hollows, several times). I have a strong preference for case plates. The ride feels better, the board doesn’t sound cheap and tinny. All very subjective/weird ‘I hate the way these socks feel’ type of reasons though.

Palelight. You didn’t kill shit. You are adding some real stuff. I’m not sure if the knowledge is power either, but hearing people’s reasoning is very interesting/entertaining/informative. I wouldn't get new trucks and then ride bushings from 4 different brands. Or switch the pivot cups after one session. I did try Indy hangers on ace plates though. And that was definitely the state of the thread for quite awhile. Or some of us just repeating the slogans of the truck brands.
I don’t have enough set pieces, I haven’t decided on board size, truck size/or brand, and wheel size. So I’m just chucking stuff at a wall. Sometimes it’s fun sometimes so annoying. To those of you that are tweaking out about it, you are most likely adults, skateboarding is probably a little more difficult than what it once was, you want answers why/you don’t get to skate as much for a myriad of reasons. Not skating leads to romanticizing different set ups, for me. As an example I skated huge boards in the 80s, came back to skating in the 90s rode small boards, and learned what I know on those. If I take a break I want to ride whatever is ‘cool’ so I’ll be looking at some pool slayer set up, when I’m way too shook to drop in and scratch coping (and that could easily be accomplished on an 8” board, or whatever really). I’m blathering on trying to say that I really relate to the fantasy of trying something new and different, sometimes it does unlock levels (at the peril of regression), but trying to ban that shit from your mind and just getting outside.....you can make whatever work and adjust to it.

Now lemme just buy these 5.6, 5.8, and 6.1 ventures, some small wb/wide decks to go with them, and maybe some thunder 148s, some 54 conical fulls....and I’ll be done. For sure.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7166 on: December 18, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »

That's interesting. I moved up from a 7.75 to a 7.875 to rock 8" trucks. I would just go for 145s.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7167 on: December 18, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »
I'm on a set of brand new Ti Indy's and my board/trucks are squeaking like crazy. When I stand on the board not even moving you can hear it squeak. I didn't tighten the trucks because they were brand new and I wanted to break them in. Normally I find new trucks to be too tight but these seem nice and loose. Is the squeaking because of how loose they were out the gate? I'm rocking an old pair of Dooks silencers on there too but they're pretty much nothing at this point. I do have modus hardware and new silencers coming as I'm partial to the modus bolts and indy was all I could get at the time. Will the bolts/dooks silencers help with the squeakiness or this is something else going on?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7168 on: December 18, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
I'm on a set of brand new Ti Indy's and my board/trucks are squeaking like crazy. When I stand on the board not even moving you can hear it squeak. I didn't tighten the trucks because they were brand new and I wanted to break them in. Normally I find new trucks to be too tight but these seem nice and loose. Is the squeaking because of how loose they were out the gate? I'm rocking an old pair of Dooks silencers on there too but they're pretty much nothing at this point. I do have modus hardware and new silencers coming as I'm partial to the modus bolts and indy was all I could get at the time. Will the bolts/dooks silencers help with the squeakiness or this is something else going on?

50/50 it's either the pivot cups or bushings. Also, being December, if you're somewhere cold that will make it worse. If you're alright with disassembling new trucks, some soap/wax shavings in the pivot cup usually kills it. Rubbing the flats of the bushings/washers with the same can help too.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7169 on: December 18, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

50/50 it's either the pivot cups or bushings. Also, being December, if you're somewhere cold that will make it worse. If you're alright with disassembling new trucks, some soap/wax shavings in the pivot cup usually kills it. Rubbing the flats of the bushings/washers with the same can help too.

Thanks dude, it is cold here on the east coast. I'm gonna try waxing the washers and flats and see if it helps. Too lazy to disassemble right now I prob. will if it doesn't get better.